Censorship at it's finest

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

SarahofBorg
This is my new home

Censorship at it's finest

Post by SarahofBorg »

The cover of vol 13 as released by Dark Horse shall look like this:

Hopefully it's just a sticker, although I don't honestly know. Leave it to America to find the most offensive thing about the image is the nude girl. The gouged out eye and the bleeding wounds and missing limb are perfectly fine.
jistanidiot
imanewbie

Re: Censorship at it's finest

Post by jistanidiot »

SarahofBorg wrote: Hopefully it's just a sticker
So far all the other Parental Advisories on them have been stickers. I'm not worried. Of course I'm wondering why my bookstore is now 3 vols behind.
Leave it to America to find the most offensive thing about the image is the nude girl. The gouged out eye and the bleeding wounds and missing limb are perfectly fine.
If you don't hate nude girls the terrorists win :roll:
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Barnes and Nobel does not carry Berserk at all. I have to order 'em via Amazon.
SarahofBorg
This is my new home

Post by SarahofBorg »

Hah, I supose they don't. Never thought of it really.
Borders does...strange. There are other 18+ manga that they both carry (I just bought Old Boy, which both stores sold.) And Berserk is too popular not to sell if possible.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, it's pretty stupid alright.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

psi29a wrote:Barnes and Nobel does not carry Berserk at all. I have to order 'em via Amazon.
Thats weird, you sure it just isnt at yours?. I've gotten almost all my copies from Barnes and Nobels.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Could be just mine, I do live in 'Christiansburg', anywho... they have three full shelves of of Manga. None of 'em have the 18+ sticker like Berserk.

*sniff*
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

I live in "happy valley" aka Mormon capital of the world and our Barnes and Noble does not carry Berserk. Borders and the bookstore in the mall do, as well as some of the comic book stores in the area.
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
blames them for his own mistakes." - Gene Roddenberry
Lord Rae
Mastered PM

Post by Lord Rae »

yeah outside of Atlanta it varies from one Barnes N Noble to another whether or not they'll have them.

Amazon is always there and occasionally with some nice deals.
Last edited by Lord Rae on Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheDrizzit
Beware my tactical spam

Post by TheDrizzit »

DFW, Texas and no Berserk here either in our B&N's....Waldensbooks in the mall has them though. ^_^ But I'd just as soon just order them off of Amazon or darkhorse...
That's right!! Another pointless post by me bitches!!! HA!
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Gaiseric wrote:I live in "happy valley" aka Mormon capital of the world.
I'm sorry.
ddem1
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by ddem1 »

US Amazon for me, but gotta wait another year cause its more expensive if I order volume by volume (since Im in Croatia). Gonna wait till Dark Horse reaches vol. 21 or so :cry:
42ndEndOfTheWorld
This is my new home

Post by 42ndEndOfTheWorld »

this reminds me of something from a Vietnam movie apocalypse now:
We train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write "fuck" on their airplanes because it's obscene!
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

Starnum wrote:
Gaiseric wrote:I live in "happy valley" aka Mormon capital of the world.
I'm sorry.
Yeah, I am pretty sure they would be burn me at the stake if they looked through my Berserk manga.
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
blames them for his own mistakes." - Gene Roddenberry
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Well, they'd be left with the choice of either that or becoming rabid fans themselves.
Gattsblackfalcon
This is my new home

Post by Gattsblackfalcon »

psi29a wrote:Barnes and Nobel does not carry Berserk at all. I have to order 'em via Amazon.
at least the manga can be founded in the States , i never had seen even one paper made volumen in my country :cry:.
Ultra Berserk fan , Gatts wanna be . Image and EvilDmitri rocks ftw.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Gattsblackfalcon wrote:
at least the manga can be founded in the States , i never had seen even one paper made volumen in my country :cry:.
Yikes, next time I'm down... I'll bring some volumes for you. ^_^
inkthinker
Found the Edit button

Post by inkthinker »

TheDrizzit wrote:DFW, Texas and no Berserk here either in our B&N's....Waldensbooks in the mall has them though. ^_^ But I'd just as soon just order them off of Amazon or darkhorse...
Most Barnes & Nobles won't carry Berserk, or any other mature titles for that matter. I'm surprised to hear that ANY of them is carrying it, actually.

Waldens carries it because Waldenbooks is a subsidiary of Borders... in fact, most of the Waldens out there now are being slowly replaced by little Mini-Borders.

I expect it may very well be covered on the cover, but it's very likely that it's uncovered inside, and the only edit to the book otherwise. Dark Horse has made a good deal of money off Berserk and they've made it a point to stand firm on the book's content. It's true that vol. 13 is going to take the cake as likely the single most brutally graphic comic in terms of sex and violence published in the US in the last decade or more, but I trust Dark Horse to take the chance and stand firm on their convictions as a publisher.

Won't be surprised if this is the tipping point that makes conservative nutjobs finally take notice of manga as a whole, though. I'm honestly surprised it hasn't happened already.
Lord Rae
Mastered PM

Post by Lord Rae »

yeah I keep waiting for some nutjob to have volumes of berserk or any other adult manga and for the police or media to make it a point of cause.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Oh, I've already heard of people trying to get manga banned from the states or some crap, but that'll never happen. It's like trying to ban video games, I mean come on. They may as well go after normal comics too, while they're at it. I mean, last I checked, which was a while ago, they don't even mark mature content on comics. I was surprised by this as a kid to read spawn and some others, and to see what they were actually like, and yet they'd still sell them to me, no questions asked. I thought that was cool though, of course.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Starnum wrote:They may as well go after normal comics too, while they're at it. I mean, last I checked, which was a while ago, they don't even mark mature content on comics.
They do now.

At least for cursing and boobs and shit.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Ah, with the recent influx of paranoia over the subject, I figured they had. I mean, there's nothing wrong with marking things as mature content. There's things that kids really don't need to be exposed to until they're older. It's just when they start trying to do away with it all together that it gets ridiculous. It is weird how the sticker is over Casca's nudity, and nothing else though. You'd think the female body could be viewed as art, and that extremely violent images would be of more concern, but I guess they're just crazy like that, heh.
SarahofBorg
This is my new home

Post by SarahofBorg »

Heh, I read Spawn as a kid too. It's probably the most graphic popular comic out there, but far from the most graphic comic of all. Look up R. Crumb if you wanna see *nasty* shit. Berserk has nothing on him. I remember reading a Zap comic of his where he had Jesus giving Satan a blow job O_o And that's far from an unusual site in his work.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Its really stupid.

Like the nude girl is the worst thing in that cover.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Frankly, you'd think someone having an arm chopped off would be more disturbing then a naked person, but that's not the way our society seems to view things. Violence and blood and gore are far more acceptable then nudity, though I've never understood why.