Wiiiiiiii thread.

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

dialdfordesi wrote:
Malvado wrote:What the hell is Hastings?
It's a book/music/videogame store that's all over the place in at least Nebraska and Kansas.
I don't think people in maryland read books while playing videogames so we don't have a store like that.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Hey all, I have a question concering the Wii:

I have mine set up vertically like the box/manual/everything I've ever seen tells me to, but I've noticed that it gets hot pretty fast and stays hot, even when I have it in standby mode for hours at a time. Specifically it's hot on the side with the CD reader on it (Which makes sense). It doesn't seem to be affecting the gameplay or anything, I'm just wondering id this is going to be a problem in the future. Before you ask, it's not on carpet, it's on a table in my basement, (Which is about 5 Degrees cooler than the rest of my house) and in the spot where my PS2 has performed perfectly these last few years.

Basically, long story short, I want to know if something like this is happening to other people with a Wii, and if there is anything I can do, like setting is up horizontally.
ImageImage
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

My Wii heats up like hell too.

Just keep it in a well ventilated area and you should be alright.
kccttzj
imanewbie

Post by kccttzj »

After googling the overheating thing, I've found a lot of sites saying that there are overheating issues, and it can mess up your video processor. I've had no problems with my Wii, but you should keep your eyes open for an announcement from Nintendo, just in case.
MadDogMike
Mastered PM

Post by MadDogMike »

What I want to know is how the vent on the bottom of mine is supposed to have any airflow when the stand doesn't seem to have anywhere for the air to escape built into it. :\
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

Hmm... Should I get Warioware: Smooth Moves or SSX Blur? I can't decide.
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
blames them for his own mistakes." - Gene Roddenberry
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Gaiseric wrote:Hmm... Should I get Warioware: Smooth Moves or SSX Blur? I can't decide.
I haven't played either, but if what I've heard is worth anything, go with Warioware.

EDIT: I've taken a look at some screen shots and other previews of Super Paper Mario and I have to say I've got mixed feelings. On the one hand, it looks really cool, and the ability to switch the playing field to and from 3D looks amazing. It looks like an awesome platformer. And therein lies my problem with it. Just like other successful RPG series', Paper Mario is making a stylistic change. Now it's a "side scrolling action platformer with RPG elements" No turn based combat, it looks like no weapons or equipment, so basically the only thing RPG about it is that you can gain levels and get more Hit Points and Attack Power. I have not played Paper Mario on the 64 or Thousand Year Door on the GC(I intend to get that ASAP), but I was looking forward to SPM to be the first RPG on the Wii, and I have been thoroughly let down in that respect. Why is it that because certain bitchy gamers can't work past their ADHD and play through a traditional RPG, the rest of us have to suffer?

Screen shots: http://www.1up.com/do/media?cId=3150711&sec=IMAGES

Video:http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/9853
ImageImage
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Super Paper Mario looks just like that Sega Platformer called Crush heading to the PSP. I said wow.
Psycho Wolvesbane
Mastered PM

Post by Psycho Wolvesbane »

I've been playing Tales of Symphonia on my Wii.

How come Nintendo haven't had any problems with backwards compatibility with the Gamecube whereas the PS3 has massive issues with all the major PS2 titles? It's not like the Gamecube has been successfully emulated like the PS1 but it's still just as hard to emulate as the PS2 is.
Sortep
n00b eater

Post by Sortep »

because the wii is a higher horsepower gamecube graphically speaking
Bow to Golbez
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Sortep wrote:because the wii is a higher horsepower gamecube graphically speaking
Thank you for that trollicious comment about something that has nothing to do with backwards compatability. All 3 next gen systems have the hardware to do backwards compatibility, but only Nintendo bothered including the software to do it as a given on the Wii. MS is working on getting the software out, but it's no longer one of their priorities. Actually since the last firmware update apparently the PS3 has been doing fine with being backwards compatable (Don't take twithout a grain of salt though, I haven't been able to find much on the subject besides that 1.50 was a "great improvement" and "greatly improved" garbage can sometimes still be garbage) Except for games with peripherals like the Guitar Hero controller, those seem to be doomed to always be played on your PS2 for all time. Long story short, don't sell your old consoles just because you got a 360 or a PS3 or even a Wii. Just because they CAN play them doesn't mean they can do it any better (or just as well in some casses) than the console they were made for.

ImageImage
Psycho Wolvesbane
Mastered PM

That's right, I wonder if the Bongas for Donkey Konga works with the Wii then?
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Tempest wrote:
Sortep wrote:because the wii is a higher horsepower gamecube graphically speaking
Thank you for that trollicious comment about something that has nothing to do with backwards compatability. All 3 next gen systems have the hardware to do backwards compatibility, but only Nintendo bothered including the software to do it as a given on the Wii. MS is working on getting the software out, but it's no longer one of their priorities. Actually since the last firmware update apparently the PS3 has been doing fine with being backwards compatable (Don't take twithout a grain of salt though, I haven't been able to find much on the subject besides that 1.50 was a "great improvement" and "greatly improved" garbage can sometimes still be garbage) Except for games with peripherals like the Guitar Hero controller, those seem to be doomed to always be played on your PS2 for all time. Long story short, don't sell your old consoles just because you got a 360 or a PS3 or even a Wii. Just because they CAN play them doesn't mean they can do it any better (or just as well in some casses) than the console they were made for.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Sortep is right on the money.

The Wii has perfect GC backwards compatibility because it is, for all intents and purposes, a GC. The backwards compatibility is not emulation, it is the actual hardware running each GC disc as it normally would.

It has everything a GC had (including controller ports and memory card slots) and, to this date, I have not heard of a single complaint about any single game in the GC's library.

If you buy a Wii you can absolutely get rid of your GC because you will never need it again.

The PS3 that is on the market right now works similarly because the PS2 processor physically exists inside the PS3. The PS3 backwards compatibility issues that were big news a while back were basically caused because the PS3 is an HD machine and Sony neglected to address all the upconverting/upscaling/resizing/whatever stuff that is inherent in displaying a standard definition signal from an HD machine.

I'd say the PS3 has a 96-99% successful backwards compatibility rate right now. Of course, now that Sony has mentioned how the PS2 chip will be removed from future PS3 revisions that number will drop dramatically because backwards compatibility will handled entirely by software.

The 360's backwards compatibility is a joke.

One architecture trying to emulate a completely different architecture entirely by software = horrible backwards compatibility

I guess it's good enough if you want to play Halo 2 or Ninja Gaiden exclusively but where's Panzer Dragoon Orta? Otogi? Jet Set Radio Future?

The backwards compatibility on the 360 has been handled terribly by Microsoft and has been a huge disappointment for me because I'm dying to play Panzer Dragoon Orta.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Femtov2 wrote: Sorry to burst your bubble, but Sortep is right on the money.

The Wii has perfect GC backwards compatibility because it is, for all intents and purposes, a GC. The backwards compatibility is not emulation, it is the actual hardware running each GC disc as it normally would.
Meh, fair enough, I was not aware it was essentially the exact same harware. I took Sorteps comment as a kind of bash that because it isn't as graphically adept as the 360/PS3 that it isn't as difficult for the machine to emulate. Sorry bout that.
ImageImage
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Tempest wrote:
Femtov2 wrote: Sorry to burst your bubble, but Sortep is right on the money.

Meh, fair enough, I was not aware it was essentially the exact same harware. I took Sorteps comment as a kind of bash that because it isn't as graphically adept as the 360/PS3 that it isn't as difficult for the machine to emulate. Sorry bout that.
Why did you take it so personally?!

WHY?!
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Twilight Princess was released for both the Wii and the GC; believe it not the code and physical medium are exactly the same. Just so happens some of the controller logic isn't used while the game is running on the GC.

The same chipsets are used, just shrunk with new processes thanks to IBM. The core of which is ATI and PPC, same stuff that power Macs. The Gamecube itself is just a glorified Apple G4 computer specifically made to play games.

Nothing wrong with that, I just want true HDMI hardware support and games to take advantage of it, but frankly I don't see that happening till the GPU (ATI) and the CPU (IBM's PPC) are upgraded to physically support resolutions as high as 720p, 1080i, or 1080p60.

Then again, if the games are fun I could care less about the graphics detail... *goes back to playing Secret of Mana*

note: 1080p is not a standard yet unlike 720p or 1080i, because of competing standards, they are listed with pX0 where the X0 is the refresh rate in 10 fps increments. No console fully supports 1080p, yet.
Sortep
n00b eater

Post by Sortep »

i wasn't bashing the wii... i love my wii.... more than.. well more than something important.. i just don't know what.. but the wii is the same.. but i don't give a shit.. i have 11 wii games and NONE of them bore me in the slightest
Bow to Golbez
Muddtoad
imanewbie

Post by Muddtoad »

I think the Wii has a lot of untapped potential. Games like Trauma Center, Wii Sports/Play and Red Steel among others are on the right track. Where Red Steel failed though, another game can capitalize. I really want to see a very well done sword fighting game. One that will move in realtime and not pre-generated moves like Red Steel. A game like dynasty warriors using this technique would be amazing.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Re: Wiiiiiiii thread.

Post by LordMune »

So I just beat Twilight Princess.

I love the way it keeps alluding to OoT while simultaneously doing its best to fuck over all aspects of the established Zelda mythos it can get its grubby mitts on.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

LordMune wrote:I love the way it keeps alluding to OoT while simultaneously doing its best to fuck over all aspects of the established Zelda mythos it can get its grubby mitts on.
I love how your criticisms about stuff are almost entirely compromised of the most superficial and pointless shit ever.

- I disliked how easy the game was and how rushed it felt towards the end.

That's a good criticism, Mune.

Got it?
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Femto wrote:
LordMune wrote:I love the way it keeps alluding to OoT while simultaneously doing its best to fuck over all aspects of the established Zelda mythos it can get its grubby mitts on.
I love how your criticisms about stuff are almost entirely compromised of the most superficial and pointless shit ever.

- I disliked how easy the game was and how rushed it felt towards the end.

That's a good criticism, Mune.

Got it?
Stop hurting my feelings, asshole. :(
Twilight Princess is a very schizophrenic game that tries to pay tribute to the Zelda cornerstones while being bogged down by the very same (Zelda has four lines and disappears halfway through, and there is absolutely nothing to justify Ganon's existence in the game). I find this amusing and/or a bit sad.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Ganon showing up at the end was the biggest retard moment ever. His fights weren't that fun neither.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

The very last fight in Twilight Princess is fantastic.

It's just retarded easy.

I'll probably try to beat the game without getting any heart pieces at some point.

Should provide a decent challenge.
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

I'll probably try to beat the game without getting any heart pieces at some point.

Never thought at that before, cool idea.

But they should really had difficulty setting anyway, this was easy even for a Zelda game, i don´t think there´s a boss harder than the Lava Dragon at the Fire Temple in OoT.
Psycho Wolvesbane
Mastered PM

Deathbringer wrote:

Never thought at that before, cool idea.

But they should really had difficulty setting anyway, this was easy even for a Zelda game, i don´t think there´s a boss harder than the Lava Dragon at the Fire Temple in OoT.
Are you kidding me? He was easy, all you had to do to avoid being hit by the falling boulders was climb down the side of the arena and wait until he goes back in the hole, if you do it right each time you could most likely kill him without ever being hurt.