Wiiiiiiii thread.

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

Deathbringer
n00b eater

Re: Wiiiiiiii thread.

Post by Deathbringer »

I´m planning to get NMH but i´ll probably get the free loader and get the American version since the European is censored for some reason, most likely because it´s a Wii game if that makes any sense.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

What exactly is censored? That enemies turn to dust when they die? Do they die a gruesome death in the US version?
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

They turn to dust in the US version as well, IIRC, but the blood sprays have been removed in the PAL version. Also severed limbs and such have been de-emphasized in cutscenes. It kinda sucks, but it was done by Grasshopper (originally for the Japanese market, the only bloody version is the American one), so it's not like the game was carved up randomly and chunks of it thrown out the window.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

I bet the US version doesn't have nipples. :lol:
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

LordMune wrote:They turn to dust in the US version as well, IIRC, but the blood sprays have been removed in the PAL version. Also severed limbs and such have been de-emphasized in cutscenes. It kinda sucks, but it was done by Grasshopper (originally for the Japanese market, the only bloody version is the American one), so it's not like the game was carved up randomly and chunks of it thrown out the window.
Yeah the only difference seems to be that in the American version you decapitate or cut in half your opponents with big ass rains of blood, whereas the PAL and Japan ones just have them turning to dust whole.

lolz @ "No More Heroes Forever"
ImageImage
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

What's wrong with the second ranked fight?

I admit the third one was a little underwhelming but the second one was fine.

Awesome music and character.

I think Suda should've reworked the order of the ranked assassins.

The 3rd ranked fight would've been OK if it hadn't been so high up and Holly Summers is so awesome she should've been much higher.

Just missing the first ranked fight now.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

I dunno, the henchmen on the baseball field got a little annoying after a while, especially when there was like one guy hugging the back fence and I couldn't get off Travis's behemoth motorcycle to get him. Also, the bitch's instant kill move was annoying as hell. I'm not bitching about it being there, but the fact that there was no warning about it and I had to start the fight over again irked me a touch. Especially when she was in what looked like a stunned pose of sorts. At that point I was kind of ready for the game to be over, but that was my own fault for buying all 3 swords, the last of which costs as much as the final mission; so I ended up having to do a retarded amount of assassination missions.

Oh, and I suggest you have all 3 swords before you got to the last mission.
ImageImage
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Tempest wrote:I dunno, the henchmen on the baseball field got a little annoying after a while, especially when there was like one guy hugging the back fence and I couldn't get off Travis's behemoth motorcycle to get him. Also, the bitch's instant kill move was annoying as hell. I'm not bitching about it being there, but the fact that there was no warning about it and I had to start the fight over again irked me a touch. Especially when she was in what looked like a stunned pose of sorts. At that point I was kind of ready for the game to be over, but that was my own fault for buying all 3 swords, the last of which costs as much as the final mission; so I ended up having to do a retarded amount of assassination missions.

Oh, and I suggest you have all 3 swords before you got to the last mission.
Most (if not all?) assassins have instant kill moves. Now, any other game, I would have flipped the fuck out when I accidentally got too close to the "stunned" #2 after finally whittling her health down to near nothing... But, this is No More Heroes. A Grasshopper game. Like Killer7, much of the gameplay is about getting fucked in the ass (by a ridiculously stylish assailant) until you learn to love it.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

Tempest wrote:BTW Femto, I would like to see you thoughts on this review, making sure to add any of your usual gems of personal insight.
Ah, good ol Icycalm.

And I do believe that guy does not know what he is talking about when it comes to shooters as well. You should read some of his other articles like why arcade games are far superior. Lots of LOLs there.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

The only problem with Bad Girl's instant kill is that after if hits you once it's pretty much useless because you can see it coming a mile away and you pretty much have to wait it out.

The sections that lead up to the ranked fights do seem to take a nosedive in quality the further you get along but the ranked fights themselves are all pretty enjoyable.

EDIT: Beat the game finally.

[spoiler]For a while there, I was completely at a loss on how to beat Henry, mostly because of his insane amount of health. Then I learned how to execute the Dark Step consistently (had only done it randomly before) and maximized my wrestling move usage and the tables turned entirely.[/spoiler]
Loved just how completely ambiguous the ending was about everything.

Me: "It looks like they're setting up stuff for a sequel."

Sylvia: "Sorry, but there won't be a sequel."

Me: "Hahahaha"

Text on screen: "To be continued."

Me: "What the shit?"

I also enjoyed the constant breaking of the fourth wall towards the end.

Awesome game.

Best game on the Wii.

Certainly the one I've enjoyed the most so far.

The combat has many nuances that aren't really explained anywhere and that's a damn shame.

I don't know if I'll spend too much time, if any, getting all the extra stuff in the game.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

The game is very much worth playing through on Bitter, just to enjoy your own mastery of the combat system. Dark Steppin' like a motherfucker. Is that the official term? Last I checked, there was none. Sounds better than the "surprise slide" I've heard elsewhere though.

The Real Ending has the best fight in the game.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Holly Summers is the best fight in the game.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Letz Shake is the best fight in the game.
ImageImage
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Someone tell me what is up with the spontaneous charge attack Travis pulls out of his ass in the middle of a combo sometimes. It's happened twice in Bitter so far (ranked #8 at the moment) and I have no idea what triggers it- it's obviously not charging.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

LordMune wrote:Someone tell me what is up with the spontaneous charge attack Travis pulls out of his ass in the middle of a combo sometimes. It's happened twice in Bitter so far (ranked #8 at the moment) and I have no idea what triggers it- it's obviously not charging.
It happened to me once when fighting Bad Girl's goons.

Apparently, it works like the Issen from Onimusha 3, i.e. you hit block just before an enemy's attack hits you and then hit A.

Another thing that is never really explained in the game, like the fact that if you swing your Wiimote twice in the same direction during a Death Blow you deal more damage.

I don't know if Dark Step if the official name either.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Another bit of info people might find interesting is that if you hit and hold A during your Death Blow you do more damage. You'll know you're doing it right if triangles show up during the Death Blow.

I never even knew about the Shadow/Dark Stepping consistantly until I read about it here, although I managed to do it like 3 times total in the game, twice when I was fighting Jeane (Which along with a lot of jump slashes was the only way I was able to beat her)
ImageImage
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Tempest wrote:Another bit of info people might find interesting is that if you hit and hold A during your Death Blow you do more damage. You'll know you're doing it right if triangles show up during the Death Blow.
I mentioned that.

There's a few ways of doing it, apparently.

Swinging the Wiimote twice works and just shaking it violently is supposed to work as well.

I find Henry to be unbeatable without the shadow dodge/dark step/surprise slide/whatever.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Femto wrote:Swinging the Wiimote twice works and just shaking it violently is supposed to work as well.
This is what I do. I suck at it.
Femto wrote:I find Henry to be unbeatable without the shadow dodge/dark step/surprise slide/whatever.
I beat him the first time around without using the Dark Step. It's basically a matter of circle strafing at a distance when he enters a combo, and then dodging backwards after he does his teleport-downward stab. The trick is not dodging the downward stab, since A) it is avoidable just by running left/right and B) he will follow up with a homing jumping slash that will fuck you up. Just roll back when he's just done stabbing the ground, and he'll be open for some serious comboing.

Not nearly as effective as just Dark Stepping the shit out of him though.

In other news, the stunt doubles/whatever the fuck they are before Destroyman give me a hard time on Bitter- I nearly died before reaching the save point.

I'll deal with Destroyman tomorrow.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

The problem I had with Henry when I fought him before I learned to Dark Step properly is that I never landed enough hits consistently to stun him and do wrestling moves on him and I just got pissed off because I never did enough damage.

With Dark Step the fight is a piece of cake.

Just wait until he goes for his main combo and Dark Step after the 4th hit.

He'll be on the ground still and just mash the shit out of A until he blocks your attack after which, 80-90% of the time, he'll start his main combo again.

Do that once or twice until he's stunned, grapple him and them rinse, repeat.

The only problem is that you'll have to recharge your beam saber eventually but there are enough openings that allow you to do that.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Femto wrote:The only problem is that you'll have to recharge your beam saber eventually but there are enough openings that allow you to do that.
You didn't get the energy upgrade for TSUBAKI MK. III before #1?

But yeah, I guess his charge-guard (to smack you in the face if you attack) is there to let you recharge.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

LordMune wrote:You didn't get the energy upgrade for TSUBAKI MK. III before #1?
I trained and bought t-shirts.

:headbang:
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Femto wrote:
LordMune wrote:You didn't get the energy upgrade for TSUBAKI MK. III before #1?
I trained and bought t-shirts.

:headbang:
I trained and bought t-shirts and the energy upgrade. The Gold Town assassination brawl makes everything cheap.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I refused to repeat missions and farm money for no real reason.

Fuck that noise.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

I've come to the conclusion that Holly Summers is one of the shittiest boss fights in the game.

Sad but true.