Wiiiiiiii thread.

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Re: Wiiiiiiii thread.

Post by LordMune »

I never even beat Super Mario Sunshine. I consider Super Mario 64 unplayable by any modern standard.

In Galaxy, however, I'm determined to get every star (and halfway into the Kitchen I have gotten every regular star, every available comet star, and a few hidden ones). I don't know if it's true or not because I haven't been keeping up-to-date on Galaxy news, but the mere insinuation of a rumor of unlocking Luigi as a playable character has me playing that game furiously.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I'm missing about 10 stars or so.

The difficulty in this game is nigh perfect.

Also, I 100% agree with Mune's first two sentences in his previous post.

Mario 64 still holds up perfectly today as far as controls go but I could never get myself to play it again.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

I'm in the process of playing No More Heroes. I have mixed feelings about it.

The missions to get your funds get boring and feel unnecessary. The GTA style of driving thoughout town from mission to mission and mark to mark seems useless since you don't do anything besides drive around and can't go anywhere besides shops or look for "balls". The graphics aren't impressive. At least as far as I am, the level design isn't that varied.

BUT

The style is amazing. The ranking battles and their subsequent bosses are great. The combat, while a bit repetitive, is entertaining and utilizes the Wii-Mote in a way that it doesn't feel gimmicky (Except for when you have to re-charge your sword). The main character's name is Travis Touchdown for fuck's sake. You fight people with names like Death Metal and Dr. Peace. It's fun.

EDIT: Everybody's Final Smash in SSBB (Spoilers ahoy if you don't know about all the unlockable characters and want to surprise yourself):

ImageImage
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

They look great, how exactly do you get to do their final smash though?
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

The Final Smash Icon (You see it floating on the screen at the very end of the video) is an item that IIRC comes down at random intervals and also comes down when a player has one life left in Stock Play (Where you have X number of lives before it's game over for you). Once you break it, you get the power and then for a limted amount of time you can activate your Final Smash with a specific command (I don't know if it is different for everyone or not).
ImageImage
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Rented DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3 yesterday (I own the second). It's a nice game but I wouldn't buy it on the fact that it isn't much different from the second one. But the controls are a bit better and the story mode is more coherent.

Anyway it showed me that there can be a cool fighting game with the wiimote and nunchuck.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

No More Heroes is pretty awesome.

Only a few hours in the game but I'm enjoying it a lot.

It's strange, the game has more than its fair share of annoyances but it's so different from anything out there that I'm enjoying it a bunch.

The market needs more games like these.

Can't wait to what Suda will come up with on the 360.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Femto wrote: It's strange, the game has more than its fair share of annoyances
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG HALLWAYS!
ImageImage
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Europe needs Super Smash Bros Brawl, dammit! Release date is still only 2008 over here! :(
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

No More Heroes is awesome. I beat it yesterday, and the plot is about as deep as any given 2-dimensional space; but that is the point, Suda having chosen to emphasize themes over storyline, contrary to Killer7.

I'm writing an essay on the game right now, for myself, just to sort everything out in my head.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

LordMune wrote:I'm writing an essay on the game right now, for myself, just to sort everything out in my head.
Hahahaha.

You're a fucking queer.

Get a job, asshole.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Femto wrote:
LordMune wrote:I'm writing an essay on the game right now, for myself, just to sort everything out in my head.
Hahahaha.

You're a fucking queer.

Get a job, asshole.
hay b nice!

I rarely get inspired enough to write these days, so I take what I can get.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

WTF. Super Smash Bros Brawl european release date is set to the 15th of July this year. WTF. They don't even have to change any language or stuff, they just have to get the damn game out NOW!

At this time of the year I'll be either out in the sunshine, or player MGS4, SC4 and GTA4, and on top of that Age of Conan. Bring the game out now!
Even the american version with freeloader disk to play on EU Wiis is sold out already on all the import shops here.

P.S. Bought No More Heroes today, it owns. But still, SSMB fuckit!
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Aetherfukz wrote:But still, SSMB fuckit!
Super Smash Mothers Brawl :lol:

I'll be playing some serious Brawl tomorrow. Datel timed the release of the Wii Freeloader perfectly, fuck waiting for the PAL release.

I'm somewhat tempted to import the NTSC version of No More Heroes, just for the additional blood.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Where did you order the US version + freeloader? I usually order my games from gameware.at, an austrian import company, but they are already sold out?
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I still haven't gotten to play this yet either. :?

I knew I shouldn't have given my Wii away. Heh, nah, I bought it as a gift anyway. I still need to get my hands on this game though.

Also, Crisis Core is actually making me want to buy a PSP. I hate you Square-Enix. Someone should play the game and tell me how it is. That is, if I don't do it myself first. :P
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I'm rank 6 in No More Heroes at the moment.

Best game on the Wii.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Femto wrote:I'm rank 6 in No More Heroes at the moment.

Best game on the Wii.

You might want to hold thatt hought until you get past the rank 3 and 2 fights. They're pretty unremarkable.
ImageImage
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Tempest wrote:

Best game on the Wii.

You might want to hold thatt hought until you get past the rank 3 and 2 fights. They're pretty unremarkable.
Hell, add #1 to that list. Ultimately, I can't help but feel that that was kind of the point. The whole game builds up to an incredibly intense anti-climactic ending.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Tempest wrote:

Best game on the Wii.

We'll see.

I don't agree with your long hallways comment because Travis moves quickly enough that I never thought it was an issue so we obviously have different opinions about the game.

The things that do bother me about the game are the repeating missions to get cash to buy crap (though if you manage your money properly you're alright) and just how loose the controls feel, especially when you're bike riding.

The combat has a great system but it lacks a little oomph and the high/low thing doesn't come into play as much as I thought it would.

I do think that I haven't yet fully grasped the nuances of the combat yet though because I can't consistently stun bosses so who knows.
MadDogMike
Mastered PM

Post by MadDogMike »

On the other hand, long hallways isn't exactly ground-breaking level design.

I've been reading reviews on this game and they all agree on one thing: the open-ended city parts of the game (which make up most of the game) suck. Is it REALLY worth putting up with that crap just for the few fight scenes?
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Femto wrote: I don't agree with your long hallways comment because Travis moves quickly enough that I never thought it was an issue so we obviously have different opinions about the game.
That's more of a level design issue than anything else. I mean the entire battle to get to Let's Shake is one long ass hallway. It's not that big of a deal anyway, definitely not anything I would make a big deal out of if someone asked for a recommendation.

BTW Femto, I would like to see you thoughts on this review, making sure to add any of your usual gems of personal insight. I happen to know the author from another forum and would like to get an informed opinion before writing him off as a pompous ass who doesn't know anything about action games (Though I will admit he knows his fair share on shooters), and his word carries a bit of weight over there so I can't really do that too subtly.
MadDogMike wrote: I've been reading reviews on this game and they all agree on one thing: the open-ended city parts of the game (which make up most of the game) suck. Is it REALLY worth putting up with that crap just for the few fight scenes?
It's just that there is nothing to do really while going from mission to mission, unlike say GTA where you can stop and kill pedestrians or take a new car or find a hidden mission or something. It's really a non-issue that only matters to the people who think that NMH is trying to rip off of GTA (like the above review). The open city sections are pretty much exclusively used just as a means from Point A to Point B. In fact, many people think that the reason the game is designed like that is because of Suda 51 used the game as a series of social metaphors. Like in the game, although everyone in the real world has an open-ended world to explore, most people choose to only go to places X, Y, and Z because their life mandates it, essentially shutting off the rest of the world. It may sound like an scapegoat for crappy design, but if you knew SUda 51 you'd know he's crazy enough to try something like this.
ImageImage
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Tempest wrote:I mean the entire battle to get to Let's Shake is one long ass hallway.
I hadn't played that part when I made my post and your post was flashing in my brain over and over when I did.

Definitely the sloppiest part of the game so far yet not sloppy enough to stop me from calling it the best game on the Wii.

As far the review, well, it's so easy and "hip" to come off as being extremely bitter and angry and blow shit out of proportion when writing stuff online and try to play it off as if you really know what you're talking about. The guy is obviously feeding off that e-cliché and I should know, I love to whine about stuff all the time.

It's not that I disagree with some of the points he makes but having to dig through his "I'm angry" shtick for some worthwhile comments when they're so few and far between is boring and not worth my time.

I mean, come on, comparing No More Heroes to GTAIII? That's ludicrous and he spends 80% of the time doing it (he says GTAIII more than NMH, no joke). They're completely different games with completely different structures and completely different goals in mind. It's like comparing Gears of War to Mass Effect because you shoot in 3rd person in both of them. And then Ninja Gaiden? What the fuck? Actually, scratch that. He attempted to do that comparison but fell flat on his face when he realized that it just wouldn't be a reasonable or fair comparison by any stretch of the imagination.

I also find a slew of contradictions here and there. He talks about the futility of comparing games on a more subjective level as opposed to the more technical aspects of one and later raves about Killer7 which is one of the most awkward games ever made. He talks about GTAIII when the controls in that game outside of car driving are absolutely horrible. But hey, maybe we should compare the shooting aspects of GTAIII to Gears of War because that'd make tons of sense. He also decides to disregard the fact that some people like shooters, some people like RPGs, some people like fighters, etc, etc, etc. No More Heroes is, like Killer7 before it, absolutely more style than substance and someone like myself is more than willing to see past its shortcomings to immerse myself in the fantastic world of Santa Destroy.

The review should've been titled "why I love GTAIII," which, ironically, just so happens to be a very poor game technically but one that seemingly gained popularity by being more than the sum of its parts.

That's my review of a review.

Could've written more but that link honestly didn't deserve more of my time.

I find it amusing that you decided to ask for the opinion of one pompous asshole from another pompous asshole.

I bet he doesn't know a thing about shooters either.

Yay!

PS: Get No More Heroes, everyone.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Femto wrote:PS: Get No More Heroes, everyone.
I'm already enticing my cousin to get SSBB; I don't think I could convince him to get NMH too. But I'll keep it mind if I later get a Wii.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Femto wrote:The things that do bother me about the game are the repeating missions to get cash to buy crap (though if you manage your money properly you're alright) and just how loose the controls feel, especially when you're bike riding.
At least it's not as repetitive as Assassin's Creed.