Video Game Mini-Reviews

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Re: Video Game Mini-Reviews

Post by LordMune »

Cerberus will always be the biggest bitch in DMC3 by far for me. He's just such a goddamn roadblock right there in the third mission. Like running into a wall.

DMC4 continues to entertain on Son of Sparda mode- Blitzes scare the everliving shit out of me still, but on SoS I've actually managed to avoid getting suicide bombed so far, which is neat.

Audiosurf is a pretty fun alternative to ye ol' WinAmp playlist. The $10 on Steam is easily worth it for the Orange Box soundtrack (that comes included) alone.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

The thing I can't stand about DMC3 is that if the boss beats you, you have to redo the whole freaking stage. I guess I'm just a panzy when it comes to that, but I really can't stand that. It's just easier for me to get their patterns down if I can just continue and fight the boss again right away. Otherwise it really breaks my groove. *shrugs*
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

Femto wrote:Even more awesome:

Again, Royal Guard.

DMC3 is just a far more superior game.

The pinnacle of 3D action games.
thanx for this ill be buying dmc3 now
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Starnum wrote:The thing I can't stand about DMC3 is that if the boss beats you, you have to redo the whole freaking stage. I guess I'm just a panzy when it comes to that, but I really can't stand that. It's just easier for me to get their patterns down if I can just continue and fight the boss again right away. Otherwise it really breaks my groove. *shrugs*
I never played DMC3, and its been several years since playing DMC1.....but after reading through this thread I am seriously considering getting DMC3 since all I have is a PS2 at the moment. I have a few questions for the experts out there, that I'm hoping can get help answered. I apologize in advance for the noobish nature of some of these......

- Regarding having to start over at each level (as described by Starnum), do players get to keep the orbs and items collected before getting killed?

- Has anyone played the new edition of DMC3 where Virgil is a playable character? Does the story play out differently with him as the playable character?

- Femto said this game is the pinnacle of 3-D action, is it really better than the GOW series? In what sense?

- NOOB ALERT: What is it exactly about DMC2 that made it so bad? I was thinking about getting at my local store, if for no other reason to play it for the story......and it being less than $20.
Let's put a smile on that face...............
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

The Prince wrote:- Regarding having to start over at each level (as described by Starnum), do players get to keep the orbs and items collected before getting killed?
Yes. You can save your game at any time to save your orbs and stuff.
- Has anyone played the new edition of DMC3 where Virgil is a playable character? Does the story play out differently with him as the playable character?
He's just an alternate character. I think there's a new (bad) boss, but the mission progression and cutscenes are the same.
- Femto said this game is the pinnacle of 3-D action, is it really better than the GOW series? In what sense?
It is the pinnacle of 3D action games. Really, anyone with any sense will tell you this. It has great enemies, great bosses and great weapons. The Style system probably makes it the deepest action game in history. God of War, good as it may be, cannot be said to have the same depth. Also, the game is just plain kickass cool.
- NOOB ALERT: What is it exactly about DMC2 that made it so bad? I was thinking about getting at my local store, if for no other reason to play it for the story......and it being less than $20.
It wasn't developed as a DMC game, and not by the original team, they changed it to a DMC game at the end of development due to the success of DMC1. They stripped Dante of all personality, and the story is boring filler. The guns are too powerful, and there aren't really any different melee weapons- new devil arms are just stronger/faster versions of old ones. You get a bunch of acrobatic moves, but no real incentive to use them. The levels were bigger but uglier, and the enemy design horrendous.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

LordMune wrote: Yes. You can save your game at any time to save your orbs and stuff.
If you can save your game anywhere, why would you have to replay a level to back to fight a boss? Or is it that you can save your items, but not your place in the level?.....I believe that's probably how it was in DMC its just been awhile for me.

Thanks.
He's just an alternate character. I think there's a new (bad) boss, but the mission progression and cutscenes are the same.
Seems weird, considering he's basically the game's protagonist playing Dante's role. I would assume Dante must square off with Virgil a few times, so how does the plot compensate for when you fight Dante and defeat him?....I guess it doesn't.

BTW.....Is Virgil a cool character to play compared to Dante? I heard many people were disappointed that he wouldn't make an appearance in DMC4.
It is the pinnacle of 3D action games. Really, anyone with any sense will tell you this. It has great enemies, great bosses and great weapons. The Style system probably makes it the deepest action game in history. God of War, good as it may be, cannot be said to have the same depth. Also, the game is just plain kickass cool.
I enjoyed GOW. Though as the game progressed I found myself fighting the same 3-monster types over and over, and became less enjoyable and more of a chore. The fighting was cool, though I found myself spamming the same combos towards latter half of the game.

My personal favorite 3-D was probably the first Onimusha. I found the atmosphere very compelling, and the gameplay was amazing for me at the time.
It wasn't developed as a DMC game, and not by the original team, they changed it to a DMC game at the end of development due to the success of DMC1. They stripped Dante of all personality, and the story is boring filler. The guns are too powerful, and there aren't really any different melee weapons- new devil arms are just stronger/faster versions of old ones. You get a bunch of acrobatic moves, but no real incentive to use them. The levels were bigger but uglier, and the enemy design horrendous.
What was Capcom thinking? Besides DMC2, can you think of a worse sequel, where the original was a classic?
MadDogMike
Mastered PM

Post by MadDogMike »

About DMC3 being the pinnacle of 3D action games, that's arguable. I hold Ninja Gaiden (Xbox) in slightly higher esteem.

Also, the reason Virgil didn't show up in DMC4 is because he died before the first DMC game, if I remember correctly. DMC3 was a prequel to DMC1.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Ninja Gaiden is dial-a-combo.

It has an extremely restricted combat system.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

MadDogMike wrote:About DMC3 being the pinnacle of 3D action games, that's arguable. I hold Ninja Gaiden (Xbox) in slightly higher esteem.

Also, the reason Virgil didn't show up in DMC4 is because he died before the first DMC game, if I remember correctly. DMC3 was a prequel to DMC1.
No, he is in the first DMC, he is [spoiler]Nelo Angelo[/spoiler]. At the end of DMC3 Virgil isn't killed, he just gets pwned by Dante and can't handle how lame he is by comparison.
ImageImage
MadDogMike
Mastered PM

Post by MadDogMike »

In the DMC4 special features there's a story slideshow where they explain the story of the previous DMC games. I'm pretty sure that it said Vergil was dead, and his soul was being used by Mundus.
Femto wrote:Ninja Gaiden is dial-a-combo.

It has an extremely restricted combat system.
I challenge that statement. The only difference between the Ninja Gaiden system and the DMC4 system is that combos are determined by different button presses instead of timing. It doesn't have styles to switch between, but almost everything that the styles in DMC allow for can be done by Ryu by default. There are a greater variety of weapons, hence a greater variety of combos to pull off overall. The only downside is that weapons can't be switched on the fly as in DMC3 and DMC4, which has already been addressed for Ninja Gaiden 2 (as well as even more weapons).

Also, the level design and variety of locations that you visit in the duration of the game are much greater in Ninja Gaiden than any of the DMC games. I don't think you can argue about that, with every DMC game (except 2) being set mostly within a generic looking castle. DMC4 has an extremely small ice area and jungle area, but that's about it.

The only other difference between combo systems is that in DMC you can cancel any combo into a high rise whenever you want. Big deal.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

ninja gaiden= flying swallow and azuza drop.

seriously thats all you do. no need for upgrading any of your weapons other than your dragon sword. azuza drop equals free invinciblity. Yes i even played the hurricane pack, once you have that move, the game becomes too easy.
MadDogMike
Mastered PM

Post by MadDogMike »

I don't know if you've noticed but the main method of avoiding damage in DMC games is exactly the same. If other enemies are too close cancel into a high rise, air combo them as long as you can, then repeat.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

MadDogMike wrote:I challenge that statement.
You challenge the fact that Ninja Gaiden is dial-a-combo?

You've already lost then, buddy.

I've played Ninja Gaiden to death and I love it very much but the combat is just very limited.

X, X, Y.

X, X, X, Y, X.

X, Y, X.

Etc, etc, etc.

Dial-a-combo.

That's it.

There is zero need for experimentation, zero reason to change your moves up (as opposed to the style rank in DMC) and zero reason to do any other combo than the most effective one, i.e. Izuna, Drop which you'll be doing over and over for the most part.

In Ninja Gaiden you can only cancel your attacks into a block/roll whereas in the DMC games you can cancel nearly everything into anything. Factor in that DMC3 lets you change weapons in real time and the addition of styles and the possibilities are near endless. Devil May Cry 3 has combo videos, for god's sake.

Basic stuff with Nero in DMC4: Stinger, pull the enemy towards you with the Devil Bringer, basic sword combo, launcher to send the enemy up in the air, shoot him a few times, launcher again to chase after the enemy in the air, air combo, throw, come back down on top of enemy with sword and the midst of all that you have to be looking at the other enemies' movements and try to time your instant revs.

There are certain elements to Ninja Gaiden that are arguably better than those in DMC3 but the combat is far superior in the latter, which makes it the pinnacle of action games.

I mean, Jesus, DMC4 was a huge letdown but I find myself playing it nonetheless because the combat is still there.

Also,
MadDogMike wrote:The only other difference between combo systems is that in DMC you can cancel any combo into a high rise whenever you want. Big deal.
The most ignorant statement in this thread by far.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

The DMC anime sucked!
MadDogMike
Mastered PM

Post by MadDogMike »

Femto wrote:*too much text to quote it all*
Well according to you the ONLY thing you should judge an action game on is how free-form the combos are. There are many other things that should be considered.

Some things I loved about Ninja Gaiden:

- how quick and especially how fluid combat was
- the difficulty
- being able to block and counter
- being able to throw enemies
- finding secret weapons and items
- running up walls and flipping around the room at high speed
- the extremely cool, fun and varied boss battles
- the excellent level design
- the variety of locations and themes to the levels
- the large variety of enemies to fight, each with very distinct fighting styles
- the fact that each different weapon felt almost like playing a different character from a fighting game like, say, Soul Calibur. I actually like that feeling over being able to perform free-form stuff.

As much as I love DMC games, you do get some of those things but you don't get all of them. That is why I still regard Ninja Gaiden as being better overall.

To each his own though, I suppose.
Last edited by MadDogMike on Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Shaddap Bitch!!
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Most of the things you mention are readily available in the DMC games (sometimes even better like blocking in Ninja Gaiden compared to the Royal Guard style) so I fail to see the point of mentioning them.

The rest of the stuff is arguable: most of the enemies in Ninja Gaiden play very similarly and the weapons in the game are not that different compared to crazy stuff like Nevan and Beowulf from DMC3.

DMC1 has the best atmosphere of any action game to date.

And DMC is more fun.

Period.

Also, Ninja Gaiden would've never happened without DMC.

That's neither here nor there but you gotta know your roots, nigga.

Word, son.
MadDogMike
Mastered PM

Post by MadDogMike »

Most of what you just said is arguable too. Personal preference.

For instance, I actually had a lot more fun with Ninja Gaiden, and I prefer slightly more conventional weaponry to electric guitars that summon bats. ;)
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Femto wrote:Most of the things you mention are readily available in the DMC games (sometimes even better like blocking in Ninja Gaiden compared to the Royal Guard style) so I fail to see the point of mentioning them.

The rest of the stuff is arguable: most of the enemies in Ninja Gaiden play very similarly and the weapons in the game are not that different compared to crazy stuff like Nevan and Beowulf from DMC3.

DMC1 has the best atmosphere of any action game to date.

And DMC is more fun.

Period.

Also, Ninja Gaiden would've never happened without DMC.

That's neither here nor there but you gotta know your roots, nigga.

Word, son.
Onimusha set the standard for games like DMC and Ninja-Gaiden.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

MadDogMike wrote:For instance, I actually had a lot more fun with Ninja Gaiden, and I prefer slightly more conventional weaponry to electric guitars that summon bats. ;)
Missing the point entirely.
The Prince wrote:Onimusha set the standard for games like DMC and Ninja-Gaiden.
You don't know what you're talking about.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Er, you must be talking about the new Ninja Gaiden games, as I'd be amazed if you didn't know that the Ninja Gaiden franchise has been around way longer than DMC. Just the way you made it sound. I can't possibly imagine you not knowing that though, so um...nevermind.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Old-school Ninja Gaiden and X-Box Ninja Gaiden are completely different games.

The new Ninja Gaiden owes a lot to DMC.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

*Nods* This is true.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Starnum wrote:Er, you must be talking about the new Ninja Gaiden games, as I'd be amazed if you didn't know that the Ninja Gaiden franchise has been around way longer than DMC. Just the way you made it sound. I can't possibly imagine you not knowing that though, so um...nevermind.
Ninja Gaiden owes a lot to Shinobi.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

They all owe everything to River City Ransom. 8)