Video Game Mini-Reviews

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Re: Video Game Mini-Reviews

Post by The Prince »

Femto wrote:I will later today or tomorrow.

Why don't you just download the demo?
I don't have a 360 or a PS3 yet. Just bought a nice HD-TV, so I'll probably get a PS3 by next month.....primarily for its BR-player.

DMC4 would probably be the 1st game I purchase.
Let's put a smile on that face...............
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

My friend has one of those modded 360's and plenty of dual layer dvds... so yes he has dmc4 right now.

But ironicly enough, that fool never finishes games. Spends countless amounts of videos (before the modd), just to "have them." so when bioshock, and mass effect were his, he bragged about having them first. then i told him to go finish the game first... alas he never has yet.

Portal: i know everyone knows this.. 10/10 i scraficed sleep, hunger, and pain for this game. and it was worth it.
HL2epi1: 8/10 classic singleplayer game that involves all the tricks.
TF2: 9/10, why the missing one? cuz vavles fucked up and didnt market this awesome game well enough. everyone should own this game. classic online mayhem.

Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles (for the PSP): best spent money ever. want Rondo of Blood that never came to out here? want to play possibly the best one ever SotN? for 30 bucks, soooo fucking worth it. You be playing for hours on this game, HOURS! 11/10 becuase it decided to come with SotN.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

My "I'm only on Mission 5 but here's what I think anyway" DMC4 review:

If you liked DMC1 and DMC3 then go for it because DMC4 has the best parts of both games, i.e. a fantastic combat system and an atmosphere that's not totally ridiculous. The combat system is just so far beyond anything out there and it's a fucking blast.

Someone said that the game felt very "last-gen" and I'd say that's an accurate statement.

There's nothing wrong with that of course, just don't expect anything revolutionary.

Graphics are pretty amazing though.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

the real question is, is it harder? or can we make it harder? because easy mode is always a joke.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

There are two difficulty settings from the beginning.

I'm playing on the harder one and I haven't had much trouble so far.

Then again, I didn't think DMC3 was that hard, at least not after you upgrade your styles and weapons.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

I sucked majorly at DMC3, although I did finish the game on Normal (old-skool normal, not SE). Now, playing Devil Hunter in DMC4, the game feels... wrongly easy at times. I downed the first boss without losing half of my health, and the second went down on my third try- and I play with a strict no-items-in-boss-battles policy. Do Yellow Orbs refill your health or something now? Since there's a checkpoint right before each boss battle, just restarting from the entrance of the room seems kind of... useless.

I'm seven missions in now, and I have so many red orbs. Having a separate currency for moves leaves red orbs exclusive for items- and I don't really use items. I used a small vital star recently fearing death by rape by a parade of Angels and Frosts, but I found that one.

So far the game is fucking awesome.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

I would guess they toned down the difficulty on the normal settings so that the average gamer doesn't get frustrated and gives up. Dante Must Die mode (if it's still called that way) should still kick a lot of ass.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I just got my copy of DMC4, time to dig in!
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

I just beat mission 9 (at least I think it was 9), and in doing so I used a small vital star in a boss battle. :(

To redeem myself I'm going to re-do that mission pretty soon, super-dumb puzzle and all, since that boss can be goaded into dropping his guard and doing a variety of easily-dodged attacks very easily. Hell, even attack pattern-oblivious jerks like me can figure it out.

This game just keeps getting better and better, although I'm starting to get a bit worried about the reports of the difficulty "peaking in the middle", since I'm essentially at that point now.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it, I've barely even gotten started, but it does seem pretty awesome. I was worried about the difficulty, because DMC3 was really hard. Though I only got to play it for one day. Since I own DMC4 now, I'm sure it won't be an issue, as I'll have time to get better at it. I'm not completely attack-pattern oblivious. I mean, I usually don't worry about it unless the boss beats me. Then I start paying a lot more attention to their attack patterns, because I've found that's the best way to gain the upper-hand. There have been some bosses that I couldn't have beaten until I finally figured out their patterns.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

DMC3 gets much, much easier as it goes along.

The first boss fight is probably the hardest in the entire game.

The harder difficulties are arguably easier because of all the orbs and upgrades you have by the end of the game and them carrying over for each subsequent playthrough.

Fuck Dante Must Die and fuck the enemies having this sort of super armor with near infinite health.

I did beat DMD in the first DMC though.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

LordMune wrote:I just beat mission 9 (at least I think it was 9), and in doing so I used a small vital star in a boss battle. :(

To redeem myself I'm going to re-do that mission pretty soon, super-dumb puzzle and all, since that boss can be goaded into dropping his guard and doing a variety of easily-dodged attacks very easily. Hell, even attack pattern-oblivious jerks like me can figure it out.

This game just keeps getting better and better, although I'm starting to get a bit worried about the reports of the difficulty "peaking in the middle", since I'm essentially at that point now.
Already.....how long is the game?

Do you prefer the new guy or Dante?
Let's put a smile on that face...............
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

The Prince wrote:
LordMune wrote:I just beat mission 9 (at least I think it was 9), and in doing so I used a small vital star in a boss battle. :(

Already.....how long is the game?

Do you prefer the new guy or Dante?
Every DMC game is 20 missions long. According to reviews you're supposed to get 15-17 hours out of the game the first time through, which either means they'll have to ramp up the difficulty quite a bit pretty soon, or the later missions are simply longer. I beat the first nine missions somewhere in the five hour range IIRC.

I have an exam to study for so I haven't been able to play further than that ( :( ), which means I haven't got Dante yet. I do know that I will miss Nero though; while his lack of styles, additional weapons and, well, general Dante-ness makes him weird to play at first, he is much more flexible than you'd think.

Also, the Devil Bringer is pretty crazy once you learn to use it properly.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

LordMune wrote:
Also, the Devil Bringer is pretty crazy once you learn to use it properly.
I've heard the Devil Bringer makes the game almost too easy, especially for boss fights, but I noticed my friend who was showing the game to me had it on Human difficulty, so that most likely had something to do with it.

As for DMC3, I got to Agni and Rudra (Or whatever their names are), so I think that's like mission 7-8 and I got stuck after losing to them like 3 times, and then I put DMC3 on the shelf for something else and haven't touched it since. I really should play it again :?
ImageImage
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Tempest wrote:As for DMC3, I got to Agni and Rudra (Or whatever their names are), so I think that's like mission 7-8 and I got stuck after losing to them like 3 times, and then I put DMC3 on the shelf for something else and haven't touched it since. I really should play it again :?
Yep, same thing happened to me. I couldn't beat those damn guys, so I just took it back to Blockbuster (as it was a rental) and never touched it again. :(

I too should give it another go sometime.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

I've been hearing a lot of the same about Agni & Rudra lately, and I just don't get it- they're easily my favorite boss fight, second only to Neven. I mean, what, you dodge like a motherfucker and get in there with Rebellion to parry their sword strikes and it's all gravy. And I suck at DMC. I dunno.

Now, the boss in mission 10 of DMC4 is ass-rapingly hard at first, since it reads your controller input. You have to learn to abuse this in order to beat the boss, which took me like six tries to figure out.

EDIT: Also DMC4 broke my arm. I obviously haven't been keeping my button mashing muscles in shape, so now I am in constant pain thanks to the constant Blue Rose spam. :(
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

I´m in mission 13 now and from what i´ve played, the game doesn´t have a a consistent difficulty level. One room you meet a shit load of those lizards and the next you meet a couple of Scarecrows from the first level.

The game is still fucking awesome though, Dante is much more fun to play than Nero IMO. Dodging Echidna with trickster, beating the shit out of her with Swordmaster and blowing her sac with Gunslinger was a fucking amazing experience.

Agni & Rudra are probably the hardest bosses when you fight them for the first time, when you learn to break their defense, they´re still very hard but not impossible.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I don't remember having trouble with Agni and Rudra.

Cerberus was easily the boss I spent the most time in.

Even the boss rush towards the end of the game wasn't that bad.

I also had the original version, not the Special Edition.

Haven't played DMC4 since I last posted (fucking work) but I'll sink in a couple hours now.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

LordMune wrote:So far the game is fucking awesome.
Quoted for truth.

I'm playing on the harder mode (Devil Hunter) as well, because I have beat the first two games, so I'm not new to the series. Yeah, it's still not that hard though. I mean, I've had to fight the bosses a couple times, but no big. Maybe it's just me, but DMC3 seemed harder, but like I said before, I only had it for one day. Compared to Ninja Gaiden Sigma (which I also beat), as far as difficulty goes, so far this game is no problem. Anyway, the game rocks hardcore.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Fuck this game.

The entire second half is a huge slap in the face.

Recycled backgrounds, recycled bosses, recycled DMC3 Dante moveset.

To those that haven't bought it yet: feel free to pass on it.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Femto wrote:Fuck this game.

The entire second half is a huge slap in the face.

Recycled backgrounds, recycled bosses, recycled DMC3 Dante moveset.

To those that haven't bought it yet: feel free to pass on it.
You shut your whore mouth and never open it again. It's a nice change of pace. Also, it's fucking DMC, it's not like recycled environments is something completely new to the series.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

LordMune wrote:Also, it's fucking DMC, it's not like recycled environments is something completely new to the series.
Not like this.

Have you beaten the game?

It feels like Capcom was making the game and they realized it was too short so they figured making you replay every level with Dante would be a good way to stretch the length of the game.

A nice change of pace?

As soon as I got my hands on Dante I felt extremely limited in what I could do and it wasn't just the removal of the Devil Bringer.

Pistols, shotgun and an Ifrit/Beowulf clone.

How original.

Lucifer and Pandora are pretty awesome but they should've just given them to Nero.

In fact, here's how DMC4 would've been great: A couple more bosses, 3-4 new levels, a couple new weapons for Nero (selectable via D-Pad) and just get rid of Dante altogether.

The game just spits in your face after Mission 12.

The last boss is horrible (and recycled).

DMC3 > DMC1 > DMC4 (I never played 2)
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

Femto wrote:(I never played 2)

thats because it doesnt exist. just like how aliens 4 never happened.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

halfnhalf wrote:
Femto wrote:(I never played 2)

thats because it doesnt exist. just like how aliens 4 never happened.

Add DBGT to that list.

Anyway, recycled environments kind of suck, but I was already expecting as much. I mean it's kind of obvious when you know you're going to be playing as Dante and then you encounter those red medusa shrines that can't be used by Nero. Anyway, I'm still looking forward to playing as Dante as well. I've made it up to mission 10. I will miss the devil bringer though, that thing is awesome. :)
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

That is typical in DMC games. For example, in DMC3, if you want to finish everything you have to play the game on Normal, Hard, Very Hard, Dante Must Die and the optional Heaven Or Hell. Then, if you have the special edition, you have to do everything again with Vergil. And lets not forget that they also rank you on each mission.

Repetitiveness is their forte, which I don't mind much as long as the rewards are good (infinite devil trigger was cool to get, the other rewards not so much).

All I'm saying is that I'm not surprised by that.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel