Currently Watching?

The latest and greatest of Japanese Animation. Found something new, or perhaps old and arcane... if it has to do with anime, it goes right here.

Moderator: EG Members

Starnum
Elven King

Re: Currently Watching?

Post by Starnum »

Shut your hole Trolos, Bastard is not crappy. It's fucking great! Sadly the OAV was never finished. It's a good way to get into the story, but you can't base the whole thing solely on the OAV. You've really got to read the manga to get the full experience. They cut so much out of the anime, and I mean, it's only 6 episodes without a definitive conclusion to anything. The manga is still on-going. I've read up to c173, and I'm just waiting for more to come out, and get translated. It's been running for as long as Berserk, and has only made it this far. So unbelievably the chapter releases are even more intermittent than Berserk, it would seem. Though some of the chapters are pretty long, many often span from 60 - 90 pages or more. Though some are as small as only 15 pages. On average they seem to be in the 30's. Don't get me wrong, Bastard isn't perfect by any means. It can be very quirky, but sometimes that's the better part of its charm. It has lots of shortcomings, but it's also great in some ways. Admittedly it does get pretty bizarre later on, but I still love it. It may not be for everyone, but it's got some really great elements to it that I love. First and foremost, Dark Schneider is the fucking man, and if you disagree then you can suck his huge cock and then be incinerated by his overwhelming dark power and be sent straight to hell. :twisted:

Oh, and as the seal weakened on Lushe, Dark Schneider is eventually able to come forth without Lushe needing to be kissed. There's also large stints where Darsh just stays around and you rarely see Lushe. You hardly ever see Lushe later on in the manga.

P.S. Bastard is a cult-classic man. It has a pretty big following, actually. You should try reading the manga. As weird and quirky as you are, Trolos, I think you'd actually like it. As I said, you can't base it solely on the anime. The manga is actually a lot more graphic, and there's enough bizarre violence and sexual exploitation that you should be adequately entertained. It doesn't take itself too serious either, the author has a quirky sense of humor. From my impressions of you, I think you could actually appreciate it. Something to consider at least, next time you're looking for some manga to read. Or I could be wrong and you might think it's the stupidest thing you've ever seen. *shrugs* You definitely can't approach it looking for a deep and meaningful plot like in Berserk, to say the least. It's just not that kind of manga, but the story's not bad. It can also be pretty humorous and entertaining, IMO. It has some shonen aspects, but it can also be pretty weird and violent at times, and just a lot of fun in general. It's nothing like Bleach or Naruto. As I said, it doesn't take itself too serious. And honestly, I would think Dark Schneider is the kind of character you could get behind. He's an all-powerful arrogant evil egomaniacal bastard who just doesn't give a fuck, and believes that every woman in the world should be his for the taking. He'd as soon kill you as look at you. However, deep down (thanks to Lushe) he's actually a good guy, heh. XD
brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

I've never seen the anime, but from YouTube clips I've seen, and the fact that it's 6 episodes, it's nothing to base the manga off of whatsoever. The manga is pretty sweet.

Like Starnum is saying, the manga is good for reasons much different than Berserk. The most concise way to describe it would be that it's just fucking badass. It's completely over the top and ridiculous though, and is pretty much never "serious". It's very humorous, has some pretty good characters, entertaining arcs, and good battle sequences. Worth a read.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Mmm....I guess I'll give it a shot.
May be it's not as utterly retarded as I remember.
May be the world will start spinning backwards and the descartian proof of god's existence will suddenly turn into logically flawless argument.
(Hohoho, pathetic attempt at highbrow humor!)
May be I'll wake up one day, look out the window, and realize that life is beautiful, everyone is inherently good, and that happiness is not a chimera outside my reach, but a state of being easily accomplishable by just being nice to everyone and everything around me!
Or it'll just be a turd in a stick trying to pass as a legitimate form of entertaining.

[spoiler]P.S. Anyone considering buying Portal 2? I'll probably get it, even though I'm skeptical about its quality.
Some things just shouldn't have sequels.
Imagine a world in which there was a Gioconda I, II, III, Mona Lisa: The resurrection and a failed attempt at starting a play loosely based on the life of the model.
Well, we live in it.
Savor it.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]P.S.S. Good sir, I take offense in your declaration that I'm a bridge-dwelling mythical creature from human folklore! Besides, why would you want me to shut my feeding hole?
I see no relation between my alimentary habits and the way I give expression to my opinions and- Oh. Oh, right. Uhm, yeah, I'll shut my mouth, which is the place I use to talk! As a member of humandom, that's practically all I do, talk out of the same cavity I use to ingest! Oh, yes, the times I've had talking out of the entrance of my digestive tract! Such good times, me and my feeding hole. We're practically pals!
We humans do that, don't we? Befriend our organs?
I...I think we do, yes.

I DENY EVERYTHING![/spoiler]
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

brunoafh wrote:I've never seen the anime, but from YouTube clips I've seen, and the fact that it's 6 episodes, it's nothing to base the manga off of whatsoever. The manga is pretty sweet.

Like Starnum is saying, the manga is good for reasons much different than Berserk. The most concise way to describe it would be that it's just fucking badass. It's completely over the top and ridiculous though, and is pretty much never "serious". It's very humorous, has some pretty good characters, entertaining arcs, and good battle sequences. Worth a read.
Totally badass, and definitely worth a read, at least.
Rolos wrote:[spoiler]P.S.S. Good sir, I take offense in your declaration that I'm a bridge-dwelling mythical creature from human folklore! Besides, why would you want me to shut my feeding hole?
I see no relation between my alimentary habits and the way I give expression to my opinions and- Oh. Oh, right. Uhm, yeah, I'll shut my mouth, which is the place I use to talk! As a member of humandom, that's practically all I do, talk out of the same cavity I use to ingest! Oh, yes, the times I've had talking out of the entrance of my digestive tract! Such good times, me and my feeding hole. We're practically pals!
I...I think we do, yes.

:lol: I always get a kick out of the posts where you talk like that. Glad to see that we've made it to the point where we can have a give and take of playful ribbing taken in stride. XD
brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

Rolos wrote:Mmm....I guess I'll give it a shot.
May be it's not as utterly retarded as I remember.
May be the world will start spinning backwards and the descartian proof of god's existence will suddenly turn into logically flawless argument.
(Hohoho, pathetic attempt at highbrow humor!)
May be I'll wake up one day, look out the window, and realize that life is beautiful, everyone is inherently good, and that happiness is not a chimera outside my reach, but a state of being easily accomplishable by just being nice to everyone and everything around me!
Or it'll just be a turd in a stick trying to pass as a legitimate form of entertaining.
I really wouldn't bother watching the anime though. Just read a couple chapters of the manga and see if it grabs you. As much as I hate using this adjective to describe a non-physical activity, it's "fun".
[spoiler]P.S. Anyone considering buying Portal 2? I'll probably get it, even though I'm skeptical about its quality.
Some things just shouldn't have sequels.
Imagine a world in which there was a Gioconda I, II, III, Mona Lisa: The resurrection and a failed attempt at starting a play loosely based on the life of the model.
Well, we live in it.
Savor it.[/spoiler]
No for me. I don't like Valve's games.
[spoiler]P.S.S. Good sir, I take offense in your declaration that I'm a bridge-dwelling mythical creature from human folklore! Besides, why would you want me to shut my feeding hole?
I...I think we do, yes.

One more thing. God damn it Rolos, It's PPS, not PSS.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

WHAT?!
Goddammit, why did no one ever tell me that?!
I've been posting this way for years now, how come not a single one of you had the decency to tell me I was saying it wrong?
~Diogenes of Sinope
Aluja
Mastered PM

Post by Aluja »

Was I the only one who thought he'd post right away if someone corrected him?

And yes, hmm, Dark Schneider, damn he's badass...uhm yeah, worth a try, definitely...

I actually started watching Dexter, people kept pestering me about it and damn it's lovely, I'm hooked definitely.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, Dexter is pretty good. One of my favorite American TV shows.
Aluja
Mastered PM

Post by Aluja »

Yeah I'd imagine mine tastes be weird to you, you know, since I'm watching everything with an open mind and all...

This one is probably my fave this generation.
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?sh ... e&aid=4226
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

If having discriminating tastes stands in direct opposition to having an open mind when watching things, which it does, then I guess I am a very closed-minded individual. What a pity.
So anyway, I find your tastes in anime to be weirdly feminine, and also slightly arousing. Or may be it's one or the other. Or neither.
Have I ever told anyone how awesome it is to be a disgusting pervert, which I'm not?
Bastard, at least up until chapter 10, is a festering pile of shit.

Marquis de Condorcet, I will always remember you.
~Diogenes of Sinope
papasith
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by papasith »

OK i started watching an anime called steins;gate.

the story is basically about a guy who fashions himself to be a mad scientist. in one of his experiments he accidently finds away to make his microwave into a time machine.
but what happens when the secret orginaization that has been working on creating a time machine previous find out?
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Checked it out this morning.
It's fucking awesome.
The story reminds me of Primer, in a good way.
You should put your post inside spoiler tags, though.
The time traveling banana is something the viewer is supposed to figure out on his own, or at least that's the impression I get from the first episode.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Aluja
Mastered PM

Post by Aluja »

If you like that, then watch Chaos Head as well, supposedly it's the prequel.
papasith

Post by papasith »

from what i can tell chaos;head is in the same town and all and made by the same people, but has nothing to do with this story so far.

i put that description about the anime as thats about the description of it everywhere else, minorly re-phrased.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Watched the 2nd episode.
Oh boy.
The opening was disturbing, as it seemed like something taken out of a harem anime, not the sci-fi/psychological/mind-fuckery I was expecting.
I... I just hope this series doesn't turn into shit.
I haven't gotten excited about a series in quite a long time, and it'd be very, very depressing if this ended up being yet another addition to the endless stream of disappointments I've been watching lately.
Please, Stein's Gate, don't turn into shit.
Please.

P.S. Oh, yes, Chaos;HEAD, the harem anime that almost walked like an actual series.
~Diogenes of Sinope
brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

So I googled "Stein's Gate" and went to images.

This isn't a harem anime?
papasith

Post by papasith »

i don't think its a harem anime, but it is based of a visual novel video game so it probably has alot of aspects of one.
so almost every supporting character is female (except the uber geek hacker guy, and the guy that looks like a chick)

up to episode 5, still promising, but nothing very major yet (IMO at least), no idea how long it is suppose to run, but if it is 12 episodes like i suspect the ending might be rushed/ bad, which is a shame.
Aluja
Mastered PM

Post by Aluja »

http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr34 ... ke-003.jpg
Definitely harem.

Meh...I didn't like it, too much dialogue about things that don't even matter, also Rolos, this walks hand in hand with Chaos Head.

This season's best anime is probably Deadman Wonderland.

EDIT: Don't tell me the third cutey on the left is that guy? I only watched 6 minutes or so.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Goddammit.
It's shit.
I... I didn't know.
The first episode showed such promise!
But it's just a conspiracy theorist's wank material.
This is it for me.
I'll just stop watching anime for some time, until something really good comes up.

P.S. Deadman wonderland?
~Diogenes of Sinope
somefatman
notanewb

Post by somefatman »

Deadman's Wonderland is based on a manga of the same name, and is about a boy who gets imprisoned for a crime he didn't commit, and the prison he gets sent to is the privately owned Deadman's Wonderland which is run like an amusement park where the inmates are the attractions. Not much more I can say without spoiling something. The manga is pretty good, I haven't got a chance to watch the anime yet though.
Aluja
Mastered PM

Post by Aluja »

Yeah, the only problem is the censoring, I mean, it's there but they intentionaly cast heavy shadows on the gory parts.

Guess if you want too see it uncensored, you'll have too wait for the BR rip.
papasith

Post by papasith »

its the "chick" in the saumari get up, red pants thats a guy.
really out of all those characters only two of the women are ever really there...well three if you count the random chick working downstairs being a creepy bitch.

ill let yall know if anything worthwhile happens (like actual time traveling and whatnot)

oh shit i didnt realize deadman wonderland had an anime out. i know what im doing tonight.

not really anime related but anyone else watching game of thrones?
Last edited by papasith on Tue May 10, 2011 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

Rolos wrote:I'll just stop watching anime for some time, until something really good comes up.
As I expressed earlier, what you're seeking doesn't exist in anime form.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

That's a rather pessimist assessment of the anime industry today, isn't?
I prefer to think that there are many, many series out there that meet my standards, and that the problem is that I haven't been able to find them.
What you're saying basically amounts to declaring that an entire industry hasn't crapped out more than a handful of good series throughout a relatively long life, which I find rather unlikely, as it would mean that people are easily pleased moron willing to gobble up whatever generic crap satisfies their base desire for action, tits and mindless entertainment.
And as amusing as making that generalization is, I know people are not like that.
Hell, I've even talked to some of them, and they were pretty okay.
~Diogenes of Sinope
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

[sarcasm]
Rolos wrote:That's a rather pessimist assessment of the anime industry today, isn't?
I prefer to think that there are many, many series out there that meet my standards, and that the problem is that I haven't been able to find them.
What you're saying basically amounts to declaring that an entire industry hasn't crapped out more than a handful of good series throughout a relatively long life, which I find rather unlikely, as it would mean that people are easily pleased moron willing to gobble up whatever generic crap satisfies their base desire for action, tits and mindless entertainment.
And as amusing as making that generalization is, I know people are not like that.
Hell, I've even talked to some of them, and they were pretty okay.
[/sarcasm]