Shadowrun

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

newbified
n00b Smasher

Shadowrun

Post by newbified »

Alright, well I'm really not sure how many people on this forum have played any of the Shadowrun console games, or the P&P RPG, or the CCG game, or read the novels for this specific title, but I just wanted to ask if anyone who has, has seen the upcoming Shadowrun game for the XBox360 and PC?

http://shadowrun.com/

Now, first off I have to say that I'm sorely disappointed by this title. It seems like Microsoft is just trying to cash in on a fairly well known name, and turn it into their next Halo by putting the lead designer from Halo on it, and making it a team based FPS with almost no RPG elements, only this time you can buy cybernetic enhancements and cast magic.

I honestly don't know if this topic will go anywhere, but if you want to see what I mean by what Shadowrun was before this POS FPS game, I highly suggest you try the Genesis or SNES game. We aren't allowed to suggest warez, but I'm sure most of you have resources to get your hands on these older titles.

(Good website for a timeline: http://www.shadowrunrpg.com/resources/timeline.shtml )
Steeples scrape the sky, Praising God.
Everything here exists for God, is sacrificed to God.
For those who have nothing to sacrifice,
It can be a very heartless city indeed.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

I completely love the SNES game. It was one of the most brilliant RPGs I have ever played, and was the best cyberpunk game ever graced to mankind. The Genesis one wasn't as impressive as the SNES game, but it was fun nevertheless. Definitely in my top10 of favourite games. Best music score in a SNES game, completely atmospheric orcheastra music that fit the tone of the game extremely well. I constantly hum to the music score.

I don't know why Microsoft is butchering this. I have no idea why. I would be much more excited if this was a RPG, and not an FPS. Fucking Microsoft butchering everything we love. It would be cool with Bioware picked it up and made it an RPG...but that's just a little dream of mine.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
newbified
n00b Smasher

Post by newbified »

The Genesis version was the first I played and I absolutely loved it. Back when I had Sega Channel on my Genesis Shadowrun came up one week and after playing it I went out and bought it.

I could never get into the SNES version as much for some reason, but I still enjoyed it.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

The SNES version was moodier, and had a much darker atmosphere compared to the Genesis version, while the Genesis version had a more high tech world. Cyberspace and the world in the Genesis version was way vast than the SNES, but SNES won it for me because of the conversation system, the unique battle system, and also the Runners were so damn cool. You should play the SNES version again, man, because it brilliant. I'm a freak, I've played and finished it 5 times.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

I never got a chance to play the SNES or Genesis versions of Shadowrun. I have heard that the Genesis version was the one to get. It is not a shocker that the game is being made nothing like the originals. I mean it is not like the original teams that made the games are still around.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Would I be the only one who played the pen, paper, dice version of shadowrun in the 80's ?
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Re: Shadowrun

Post by LordMune »

newbified wrote:and turn it into their next Halo by putting the lead designer from Halo on it
This is news to me. Who, exactly? I can't seem to recall any major defection from Bungie in recent years.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
newbified
n00b Smasher

Post by newbified »

John Howard. Halo Lead Designer.

http://reviews.cnet.com/E3_Shadowrun/46 ... 26526.html

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox/data/472132.html

Scroll down to Lead Designer.

There you go Mune.

And to Psi, I can honestly say I've never played the P&P game, though I have played P&P's of other games.

I have however played the CCG of the game, and I quite enjoy it, even though there isn't a gigantic following :P.

Oh, and one final edit; for those of you who play Half-Life 2, my brother showed me a mod for it that reminds me a lot of Shadowrun called Dystopia
( http://dystopia-game.com/ ). It's not exactly like it, but it's similar.