What's Worse?

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

SarahofBorg
This is my new home

What's Worse?

Post by SarahofBorg »

Now I'm trying to make a desision. It's not the hardest choice in the world, at least I'm lucky to even hope to get a job. But it is important which I should choose.
A job at a crummy dollar store as a cashier where I stand on my feet all day and the hours are unpredictable (probably too few), or a telemarketing job in a small office for a small buisness that has definite hours, 4 weeknights and 10-5 Saturday. I prefer nights and weekends.

I've been a cashier before and it's actually really nice Except my feet KILL and it really effects my performance. I did telemarketing once years ago and I absolutely hated it, mostly because it was under immoral circumstances. But it should have been a dream job at a home office at a rich guys mansion. I often had the house to myself, including the TV and fridge :D But nonetheless I absolutely hated the telemarketing crap.

So I'm not sure which is worse. I have to decide soon, I have intreviews for both on the next two days. I'm not thrilled about either. Telemarketing will surely pay better though.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

First off you need to ask yourself, "Do these jobs give me what i need?"

I dont know your background, so im guessing from looking at your profile and your age says 20, im guessing you are in college and this is either for pocket change, or it helping buying your books.

Either way i say go for the higher paying job that wont interfer with school.

I know people might now agree with me, but if you do have the time, working in a restruant can be the best. If you can become a waiter and forgot about your thursday and friday night, and you do a very good job, tips can help out a lot. I never got to the waiter job at my Island's ( was only there for a month), but i have a friend right now who can rake in up to or even over 100 dollars in tips.

And if your age, try to see if there are any bars nearby where you live. Bartenders can make bank money, espically if you really are a woman, guys give some fat tips here and there. Obviously age is a factor, but try to get a job in the bar for like stocking and once you are of age, try to see if you can start pouring drinks.

In the end, i have no idea why you would want either job. A telemarket job is painful. I bet you are gonna have to say the same crap over and over again. At least the casiher job you interact with the person face to face.

If it was me, i would take the cashier job, everyone hates a telemarketer.
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

what immoral circumstances?
yea go for the higher pay if possible.
SarahofBorg
This is my new home

Post by SarahofBorg »

Hmmm, alright I guess this helped. Sort of.
But I'm still fuming, people on this board really know how to get on my nerves...
But thanks for taking me seriously anyway.
It's just getting harder and harder to hold back. Any sane person would have cracked by now.
Quest wrote:what immoral circumstances?
yea go for the higher pay if possible.
well, everything about the company was rather immoral. The products came straight from sweatshops. The boss, who I worked very close with, was an arrogant jackass who thought he was better than me because he was rich. He also thought he had the whole world figured out, when he was just lucky in the end.
And he had me outright lie to the people I was calling. The sales pitch was I was pretending to be a goverment organization asking people about their buisnesses, when we were really just looking for possible customers. And it was absolute cold-calling.
Plus, it wasn't even what I was hired for. He hired me for graphic design work, which I did very, very little of.
Manipulative bastard. I quite but gave him the luxary of a 2 week notice, in which he "fired" me after 3 days.

*calmed down, but paranoid*
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

thanks for sharing, sarah.
maybe you can look for some government job.
Sortep
n00b eater

Post by Sortep »

Sarah, have you ever considered doing work for alot of these imprint companies out there? Many of them tend to hire independent graphic artists by the individual job and the monies add up. Before my company outsourced half the graphic work to India (for the non camera ready artwork) our department usually had a handful of graphic artists for when we would get inundated with too much work.

The common platforms are QUark and Illustrator and in minimal circumstances Draw. It's not really hard work and the common going rate is about $4-$11 per package. Most of that work hardly takes longer than 7-10 minutes to complete and over time the packages add up. Just to give an example I do about roughly 70-90 a day while I'm at work.

Anyhow food for thought. Time to lurk again.
Bow to Golbez
SarahofBorg
This is my new home

Post by SarahofBorg »

What's an imprint company? Sounds interesting.

I went to an interview at the dollar store today. Easiest job to get, ever. Pathetic pay and hours though.
It doesn't seem so bad there because it looks like they arn't strict at all. I hate strict. Saw a cashier sitting, that was a relief. It's a very good fall-back job.
Daedelus
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!
Location: This Island Earth! (Can be yours, if the Price is Right!)

Post by Daedelus »

SarahofBorg wrote:I went to an interview at the dollar store today. Easiest job to get, ever. Pathetic pay and hours though.
It doesn't seem so bad there because it looks like they arn't strict at all. I hate strict. Saw a cashier sitting, that was a relief. It's a very good fall-back job.

What about using that as a second job? Since the hours and pay are crap anyway, take the telemarketing job or something else in addition to that job. Your crappy pay and hours starts to look good supplementing that other job now!
SarahofBorg
This is my new home

Post by SarahofBorg »

I did the telemarketing intreview today.
No way in hell am I doing that. I'm sure of it now. Now I remember why I hated it so much. I just can't sell things. I'm not a salesperson, and never will be.
So I'll at least be a cashier until I find something better.
Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

At least you finally know what you want to do. If you can it would be best for you to try and find something in the graphic design industry. Also if you can't find that I must agree with halfnhalf about finding a job in the service industry, like waiting or bartending, both can earn good money in tips if you work at the right place. I knew a guy who woudl pull in a couple hundred dollars easy on the weekend, occasionally over 400 in a single night. He worked at a really happening bar, though, so don't expect them all to be like that.
newbified
n00b Smasher

Post by newbified »

I find for the most part that Telemarketing is a side of the job spectrum I don't want to be on.

When I first moved up to Canada to be with my wife, I wasn't a legal resident and for a work permit you have to have a sponsor who will sign a contractual agreement to keep you hired for somewhere around 2 years. Therefore I had to find jobs that you get payed under the table doing.

I had 2 telemarketing jobs. One where we called the US selling Debit cards that we tried to sell off as credit cards and tried to twist words as well as we could in order to make people believe they were getting a card with $2000 on it already and not a card that has a $2000 limit that they have to put money on to use.

One where we were selling insurance (I think) to people in the US, and literally the entire time I worked that job I sat next to someone who would harass those he called like you wouldn't believe. The phones were setup so we could dial out, but no one could dial in, so he would swear, insult, and harass people he called who didn't want the insurance without fear of reprisal.

I would much rather take the shit pay and shit hours than a job I would hate myself for doing.
Steeples scrape the sky, Praising God.
Everything here exists for God, is sacrificed to God.
For those who have nothing to sacrifice,
It can be a very heartless city indeed.
Sortep
n00b eater

Post by Sortep »

Sorry for the delayed response... moving does shit with the net... anyhow... an imprint company is a company advertisers use when they want to put a company's logo on various crap (mugs, umbrellas, pens, etc)... it's rudimentary graphics work and it pays decently... check out 4imprint.com if you want to know what an imprint company does... they are one of the nation's biggest (and our company's best customer)
Bow to Golbez
SarahofBorg
This is my new home

Post by SarahofBorg »

Thanks for clearing that up.

So I work at the dollar store now. It's actually probably the best cashiering job I've ever had, but only if it keeps being this easy.
I only have to stand for 5 hours and I move around a lot, so my feet don't hurt *nearly* as much as they used to at my last job, where I had to stand for 9 hours straight with little movement.
I mean, so far it's practically nothing. The job is interesting enough to keep my mind off it anyway. The music they play in the store isn't bad at all (classic rock, mostly early Beatles). The bosses are very non-strict. It varies greatly from slow to fast buisness.
So far, I really like it there, and I can't imagine getting a better job with equal pay.
Plus, the products are actually so stupid it's pretty funny. Today I noted that we actually sell gumi rats. Yhea, like gumi bears, but they're RATS. Yummy!