Dead End

Have a fetish for dead wood comics, or you just like the better story development of the Manga? Post about 'em here.

Moderator: EG Members

SarahofBorg
This is my new home

Dead End

Post by SarahofBorg »

It's rare I find a manga I really appreciate. Most manga I come across is just good for mindless entertainment, where I have to put up with plot holes, filler, and generally bad writing just to get by. Now I tend to like manga that's dark or violent, but only if it's genuine and not full of pathos. Good writing and characters is a must.
This manga-ka wrote another manga called Smuggler I checked out before, but I found that the plot was too complex to relate to. It started off with a of complex character relations with a vague, mysterious plot that just didn't keep my interest because the characters weren't developed enough for me.
I did ask for suggestions for a good manga at another form. I'm suprised no one mentioned Dead End. The art is fantastically chaotic and urban. The characters are very strong and interesting and the plot is far from complex but plenty interesting. It's gorey as hell, which is a bit too realistic for my tastes but I can certainly deal with it. It has occaisional action, but promises much, much more as the story really developes.
It's about a kind of ugly loner guy who meets a girl who literally drops out of the sky naked and unconcious. He never asks who she is but they hang out long enough for him to fall totally in love with her, even if she's weird and mysterious. However, she disapears and some really violent people start to come after him, and he learns that he used to have a past and memories that were erased. He retraces hints of his past in hopes to find the girl again, and to survive and learn what he really once was, as horrible as it might have been.

So check it out if that sounds good to you. Anyone a fan of this manga? Anyone know if this is scanlated?
Devil_Dante
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Devil_Dante »

This is very funny I must say. I just finished this manga yesterday. It was quite enjoyable, but the artwork could be better imo. Also, this girl Lucy has no particular role after the first chapters. But I liked the way the manga ended. And the main characters are cool. Still sometimes it was a bit confusing with those flashbacks/forwards and a bit bizar, yes. btw you can find them at #lurk
SarahofBorg
This is my new home

Post by SarahofBorg »

Yup, just found em there. What Don't they have? Wow.
Anyhow, I don't have a whole lot of time so I've just started vol 2 of 4. I love the art style, even if it it's the most skilled artist out there. It's still rather unique. Somehow he manages to make all his characters ugly yet human.
Devil_Dante
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Devil_Dante »

so who is your fav character? mine is gips, just because he is clever en has some nice skillz.
SarahofBorg
This is my new home

Post by SarahofBorg »

Definitly the main character, Shirou. He's just something great waiting to happen.
I'm 3 volumes in now out of 4. The character development isn't as dramatic as it was, since now it has so many characters. Plot just keeps getting better though.
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

i did a quick research on this manga. looks like it is only 4 vol long and gotlurk.net is for choice for almost every manga.
you gotta be irc-savvy though.

=)
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

Someone post a sample of the art in this manga.

NARUTO + BLEACH doesn't even come close to the BEST MANGA= ONE PIECE
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en-GB&h ... +end+manga
you can always google it!
=)

but i dont think you will find pictures beyond the covers.
SarahofBorg
This is my new home

Post by SarahofBorg »

random page scan of the main character
Wandering_Mystic
n00b Smasher

Post by Wandering_Mystic »

Sounds like a good time killer at least. I'll take a look at this...eventually. Gah, fie on you internet and your endless supply of procrastination!
Devil_Dante
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Devil_Dante »

I really loved the ending, not something you would expect. Artwork ... not really my style. But yea a fun time killer indeed.
SarahofBorg
This is my new home

Post by SarahofBorg »

I love the artwork. It reminds me of my own style, but much more skillful. It's kind of loose and natural.
Fuji Nagase
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Fuji Nagase »

im pretty sure we were just talking about it in "what mangas are you reading" but no worries.

i love dead end. it was hard to get into despite the fact that i am really attracted to the art. the plot was hard to pick up on, but well worth it. i let i go a while back, but i think i am going to start up again. I also enjoy the very human and natural aspect of this comic. both in its art and characters, i see a lot of talent. sadly i only got to vol. 2, but my fav. character is Shirou as well. and maybe lucy.
SarahofBorg
This is my new home

Post by SarahofBorg »

I tend to prefer character to plot, and I loved the characters right away. I havn't had time today so I'm still not finished.
ryusenka
This is my new home

Post by ryusenka »

Hmmm....Girl falls out of no where and has a good relationship with ugly main character, where have I heard this before? Even with that, it looks pretty good. I think I saw it at borders once or twice. I'll probably read it once I'm done with Monster.
"Understand that it's just a person - not worth devoting any nightmares to." - JTHM
SarahofBorg
This is my new home

Post by SarahofBorg »

Er, I supose that's not the best description. It's FAR from a romance. Unless there's something romantic about getting your eyeballs gouged out with needles.
The plot is really a mystery. Things happen, but there's almost no explaination why.
I supose the manga would be better described with the characters than the story, but that's much harder.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

WTF? what the hell happened in this manga? im a bit lost here.
SarahofBorg
This is my new home

Post by SarahofBorg »

I've been trying to push myself to finish this manga, but I must admit defeat. By volume 4 I have absolutely not even the remotest clue what is going on. Plus, the artwork seems to have gotten worse, the perportions of people's bodies are way off.
So I think I give up. I don't really have the interest to follow a manga that makes zero sense anymore. It's too bad really, I really wanted to finish this for a while.
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

i could get pass the 1st few pages.
the art really put me off. its just badly drawn to me.
Devil_Dante
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Devil_Dante »

Quest wrote:i could get pass the 1st few pages.
the art really put me off. its just badly drawn to me.
ditto, but I finished it and I don't regret it