Favorite Genre?

The latest and greatest of Japanese Animation. Found something new, or perhaps old and arcane... if it has to do with anime, it goes right here.

Moderator: EG Members

Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

You need to have some sort of brain to enjoy Ghost in the Shell, but intellectual?

Give me a break.

Just like Eva or any other anime, it's nothing but a commercial cartoon made to entertain and make money.

If you want to feel smart grab a book by some philosopher or something.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Why cant a guy enjoy an anime as a deep thing with someone telling you get a book instead......

I read alot of books and i know your learn much by reading books,man i learned my english and swedish more due to reading great novels than in school. But still you can find the same thing in mangas,comics,anime etc.

You dont think books are commersial? Man there are some commersial books that are about some lame tv guy triying to make money on his lame tv show and it tops the selling list thanks to heavy marketing.

I saw a list on top ten selling books not long a not one of them was novel but there was several books writing by reality stars writing about why they think being famous is great......
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

"...a book by some philosopher or something."

As in, a book of some intellectual (keyword here) expressing his thoughts on a certain subject, be it science, politics, philosophy or whathaveyou.

That's what I said.

Books these days are mostly meant for entertainment, just like television and cinema.

We watch cartoons to be entertained.

If you think that watching a cartoon with more serious themes makes you an intellectual then, no offence, but you might need to start going to other places for your "intellectual" needs.

A cartoon won't make you smarter.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Femto wrote:You need to have some sort of brain to enjoy Ghost in the Shell, but intellectual?

Give me a break.
A break? *Uses his Bakusai Tenketsu to shatter Femto's ribs.* How's that?

*whispers* Jokes man...jokes. */whisper*

Femto wrote:A cartoon won't make you smarter.
You never know man, it might. You'd be surprised what you could learn, heh. :P
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Femto wrote:
Books these days are mostly meant for entertainment, just like television and cinema.

A cartoon won't make you smarter.
Thats what i mean sadly most new books aren't that great. They are like tv nowadays and books like Da Vinci entertaining but not that good.

I never said an cartoon makes you smarter but just like some books it good for your imagination to watch an anime that are good enough to make you think.

Cause a good cartoon,book,show,movie can make you think some deep shit.

I remember watching Old Boy, i was thinking about all day weeks after i watch trying to figure out the movie, im not saying it makes you smarter but it cant be bad for you to use your brain.

What i trying to say i hate people that read this and this book by this smart guy it will make you smarter and bla bla. I will read what ever i want you*******
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Libaax wrote:What i trying to say i hate people that read this and this book by this smart guy it will make you smarter and bla bla. I will read what ever i want you*******
I'm not saying that you should read a book instead of watching cartoons.

My comment is towards people that think that certain cartoons have some kind of "intellectual" value to them, and you don't seem of the kind. Television or movies or cartoons or comic books might make you think about stuff, but that's part of it's value as a product that's meant to entertain.

When your main goal in creating something is to sell it, you pretty much lose any kind of real life values such a product might have, because that's not what you're doing it for.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Thats why i said people not you.

Everything is made to sell even Picasso painted some of his great painting cause he wanted his money to live as he wanted to live.

You cant let that something is made to sell make you dislike something that you think is great.

My fav book The Count of Monte Cristo was made cause the author was too poor and he was black in 1800 france which wasnt very nice place for an imigrant from the west indies. After that he lived like a king and was monster famous cause suddenly everybody forgot his skin color thanks to fame.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yes, if the primary goal is to make money, then it does loose pretty much any artistic value. However, for a true artist, the selling of one's work is usually just a by-product of their desire to share it with the world, while simply trying to make a living so as to continue doing what they love. Are you saying that anime can't be art or intellectual, or are you just being a cynical bastage? That's a rhetorical question, btw. :P

Just watching anime, regardless of its content, won't necessarily make you smarter, but that doesn't mean the material itself can't be "intellectual". There's a lot of gifted talent out there man. Shit, Miura is a genius. Of course I wouldn't call Berserk "intellectual", heh. I'm not even saying I could name an "intellectual" anime, but if I wanted too I could probably think of something. That's not the point though, I just like playing the Devil's Advocate to cynicism, unless it's my own. :P

Oh, and if your just trying to give Kazuma a hard time, Femto, then just say so and disregard my post. :P
Last edited by Starnum on Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Most great art from any art form are made by people that want to make a living so they can keep doing what they love.

It doesnt matter if its an anime company or whatever.

If more leechers supported what they like as i know many dont,then there would less things that are made only to sell.

I read in an anime mag how litttle money anime companies makes thanks to its expensive making anime dvds while they dont sell as good they should thanks to the leechers....

So stop being cynical about things that are made to sell as much as it can and support so they dont have do that as much.

Im not talking about only femto but to every leecher that dont support what he/her "love" but dont buy.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I bet they've got more money than I do. ;)
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Yeah but you dont have to make millions happy and give them what they want,the fans,the employees,the bosses,the bosses of the bosses ;)

Seriously think if anime dvd market dies or they see that they dont make much by getting them over. Subs in all thier glory i like my stuff on dvds and have them in my shell and watch when ever i want.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

That would never happen though, unless the world economy crashed for some reason. They make plenty, trust me. I'm not saying you shouldn't buy anime. There will always be people who don't know how to DL it or just want to buy it, and that's cool. I however have a little girl to take care of, so I have better things to spend my money on then to waste nearly thirty bucks for about 4 episodes. If you can afford it, then more power to you. I mean, a single season of anime usually costs around 180 - 200 dollars. Then you got all these DVD's, when I can usually put 24 episodes on one DVD. Yes, go support the market though, I'm down with that. You're helping to keep it fresh for responsibility bound blue collar guys like myself, who leech more out of necessity than anything. Believe me, if I could afford to support my addiction, I would...but I can't, sadly. I guess I could always do without, but that would suck. I do buy some from time to time though, and there's always merchandise, can't DL that. ;)

Although, you're probably not referring to me or people in my situation, so nevermind. :P
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I wasnt and im not saying you should pay 100-200 dollars for anime but buying one vol1 here and there is something you can afford.

Im not worried about the companies going down or something just that they send less and less dvds over here.

I mean i leach too alot but when i really really like an anime i buy the dvd when it gets here. Im one of those that feels guilty if i dont support my fav animes or mangas cause i think about how great the creator is and how much he deservs my money.
BasouKazuma
Flexing spam muscles

Post by BasouKazuma »

BasouKazuma wrote:
Ayanami wrote:I wanted to see that Dead Leaves show
Dead Leaves sucked so much anus. :lol:

It was the most pointless anime i've ever seen. It was mildly funny but still, save yourself the 40 or whatever minutes.

Anyway, I'm mainly into intellectual type anime. Anime with deeper meanings or unique, well done storylines.
Sorry to revive a somewhat old thread, but i just got around to reading the responses to my post. It's kinda funny that there's a whole page of material on a simple post i made without me even giving any more input into the thread. I probably should've said something like 'philosophical anime'. I made up the term 'intellectual anime' to try to describe my tastes, even if it isnt the true definition of the term. The term is kinda up to interpretation.

You can just ignore that part and focus on the sentence after that, which actually outlines my tastes with real words. :P

So the anime that i would say fit the bill are; Kino no Tabi, Fantastic Children, Ghost in the Shell, Millenium Actress, Jin roh, Mononoke Hime, Mushishi (<so far).
Fuji Nagase
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Fuji Nagase »

i liked DL when i saw it, although i can see why most would push it away because it seemingly has no point. i saw most of the extra features, and i ended up liking it because of it's whack style and crazy story.

u think millenium actress is "philosophical" ? why?

i'm going with "good anime". i like serious drama, comedy, action, and gore, lots of gore. well really, anything that is good.
i try not to hold anything against an anime i havent seen. im not so much into pointless mecha, but i wont ignore the anime just because it has some in it. if i like it then i like it.

i think we all probably like the philosophical stuff, but watching something crazy and with no plot is refreshing every once in a while, right?

most people dont just like only one genre right? its good to be open to many.

"The wind whispered,and the world began to change."
BasouKazuma
Flexing spam muscles

Post by BasouKazuma »

I said i liked anime 'with deeper meanings or unique, well done storylines' .

So Millenium Actress fits into the latter part.

I guess my post was a little confusing.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Fuji Nagase wrote: im not so much into pointless mecha, but i wont ignore the anime just because it has some in it.
What the fuck does that mean? You don't have to like mecha, but there's a lot of really good series out there that are far from pointless.
BasouKazuma
Flexing spam muscles

Post by BasouKazuma »

Starnum wrote:
Fuji Nagase wrote: im not so much into pointless mecha, but i wont ignore the anime just because it has some in it.
What the fuck does that mean? You don't have to like mecha, but there's a lot of really good series out there that are far from pointless.
I wouldnt say there's a lot of good series for non-mech fans. It just comes down to personal taste. She said that she is open to watching the occasional good mech anime, but isn't into the genre as a whole.

Now take me, im not really into that whole insane romantic comedy genre anymore. To me they all look the same and are well, pointless. There may be the occasional well done one that i will watch but i dislike the genre since it's usually the same stuff over and over again (from my point of view).

For most anime genres, if you arent into that specific genre, you can easily make a good point that most of them suck.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Starnum wrote:

Yeah i specialy like the "War is horrible" theme that some of the good Gundams have. They give you more than just mecha action.
BasouKazuma
Flexing spam muscles

Post by BasouKazuma »

Yea, but how many times has that theme arose?

I'd prefer someone watch Mononoke Hime and get the message of war being terrible instead of watching some mech anime to get that message.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Yeah but some people dont prefer that or like animes like Mononoke.

I didnt get the war message of that anime as much as say Gundam Wing.

Also Mononoke was too gibhli and fantasy to send that message as much as people that you know getting killed in Gundam Wing.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Mononokehime is possibly the most pretentious, overhyped animé film I've ever seen.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

Why is it pretentious? And overhyped? Akira or GITS maybe (and i emphasize maybe), but why Mononoke?
BasouKazuma
Flexing spam muscles

Post by BasouKazuma »

Mononoke Hime is the one film that i think i could suggest to any anime fan ... hell, i've even suggested it to non-anime fans and they loved it.

It truly is a masterpiece.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

It is beyond overhyped like most of his animes.

It isnt half as good as people made it out to be before i saw it.

Spirit Away is even more overhyped, its only anime that made me disgusted cause it what i didnt need to see as anime. A goody goody disney movie that looked so horrible too cartoony to even be a disney like.