11 Lessons of Robert McNamara: Fog of War

All the news that's new and approved. We want your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

Moderator: EG Members

psi29a
Godo

11 Lessons of Robert McNamara: Fog of War

Post by psi29a »

Blog Post

There are 11 Lessons that Mr. McNamara learned through out his life. We should all stop for a minute and really take in what he has to say. As of today, he is 87 years of age, lived through a majority of the 20th Century and knows a thing or two that you don’t. The lessons he has learned are thus:

1. Empathize with your enemy.
2. Rationality will not save us.
3. There’s something beyond one’s self.
4. Maximize efficiency.
5. Proportionality should be a guideline for war.
6. Get the data.
7. Belief and seeing are often wrong.
8. Be prepaired to reexamine your reasoning.
9. In order to do good, you may have to engage in evil.
10. Never say never.
11. You can’t change human nature.

The main reason I’m cheerleading all of this is because I believe we should respect and listen to those who came before us. Take the list as you want, but take to heart their meaning in our world.

All of these is explained and fleshed out Fog of War which is explained by it’s director Errol Morris below
Errol Morris wrote:The Fog of War is a 20th-century fable, a story of an American dreamer who rose from humble origins to the heights of political power. Robert S. McNamara was both witness to and participant in many of the crucial events of the 20th century: the crippling Depression of the 1930s; the industrialization of the war years; the development of a different kind of warfare based on air power; and the creation of a new American meritocracy. He was also an idealist who saw his dreams and ideals challenged by the role he played in history.
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

thanks for bringing this to my attention.
i love watching documentaries and this looks like another good one we can expand my horizons with.

=)