Ergo Proxy

The latest and greatest of Japanese Animation. Found something new, or perhaps old and arcane... if it has to do with anime, it goes right here.

Moderator: EG Members

Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

So good how would you say this anime is?

NARUTO + BLEACH doesn't even come close to the BEST MANGA= ONE PIECE
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

Damien wrote:So good how would you say this anime is?
its good but not excellent.
=)
sci-fi thriller adventure.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Hmm, ok, yes, I suppose you could see that as "pairs" of proxies. I think it might be just that similar beings are attracted to each other. Well, it should become clearer as we move on.

I still think this show has great potential to be not just good, but really great. Some small things bugged me. Yes, the mask, possibly. Maybe it grows on his face, but can fall off? He certainly didn't put it on when he transformed.

So far, the most serious consistency bug has been for me, that people who just got off hospital beds always had their guns with them. Vincent had his when he awoke after leaving Romdeau, and Lil had hers when she awoke, too. Seems a bit strange. But whatever, I won't let little things like that ruin an otherwise great show.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

i wonder why vincent keeps thinking of lil.
maybe she could be a proxy...

other gripe with the proxy transformation is the clothes.
his clothes were always intact later on no matter what happened.

i like the way vincent changes his appearance over time. compared to his clean and combed self back in rome, he is shaggy and rough now.

hopefully more answers in the next ep.
too many holes and it loses its appeal to me.
t.A
notanewb

Post by t.A »

Maybe anyone heard some rumors why Ergo proxy is not beeing reliesed above 9th episode? just resenly the 12th raw ep apeared on net, but its still silent:/
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Ergo Proxy 10 is out.

Seriously, I don't really understand the wait though, especially with 1239234 groups working on it. It's probably the raw quality though, or exam time or something. Oh well, patience prevails and all. Shinsen's caught up.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

As usual, this ep once more opens up more questions than it answers.

Well, this show continues to intrigue me.
Brainpiercing
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

this has been another boring ep for me. we have to make sense of seemingly random scenes.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

No, not really randomn, but you still have to make sense of them. The makers of EP obviously think it's fun to just watch things without understanding them. Well, I sort of like that, as long as it's not an excuse to hide plot-holes :).
Brainpiercing
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

i liken ergo proxy to the GITS series. most of the time, the plot is never explicitly spelt out... short bouts of action, and lotsa talking and we have to imply the meanings out ourselves.

ep 10 was short on the former and long on the latter.
panasonic
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by panasonic »

i actually dont find it that confusing, its jus the slow pace that pisses me off. it took me 4 tries to finally watch through ep 9
"Education is the foundation upon which you build your entire lust for cash"-Onizuka

http://www.striporama.com/edits/main.html
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Heh, there goes our youth and their short attention span.

I have to say, though, if you can't stand through 10 minutes without action, then obviously Ergo Proxy is nothing for you. I like the pacing. The mood in this show was flawless so far. Start rushing, and you're back in hollywood.
Brainpiercing
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

I have to agree with Brainpiercing. I don't watch Ergo Proxy because of the action, but more for the story. Face it, the animation in anime is completely trashy. The most action I've seen in an anime lasts for about 6-8 minutes or less. I like the pacing of this story too, a bit suspenseful, and it's dark atmosphere that it's set in. But then again, I'm not a big anime fan anymore, and I just don't like the slow pace of some other supposed 'action/fantasy' anime like Fate/Stay Night or whatever with their dumb as wood themes. The pacing in this is perfect for me, it's story driven, and intriguing, at least to me.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
panasonic
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by panasonic »

im not saying i want action, but i cant really get in the mood, like it doesnt seem that dark and gloomy. like the whole atmosphere seems kinda forced
"Education is the foundation upon which you build your entire lust for cash"-Onizuka

http://www.striporama.com/edits/main.html
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

It's not in itself dark and gloomy, Ergo Proxy is at least partly a classic dystopia, a science fiction tale about a less than happy future. But it's also a story about powerful beings breaking out of that world, which sets it apart from older science fiction tales.
Brainpiercing
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

ep 11 out.

another lotsa talking ep. a philosophy lesson?
reminded me of the GITS series.
BasouKazuma
Flexing spam muscles

Post by BasouKazuma »

Eldo wrote:Face it, the animation in anime is completely trashy.
Yea, It's annoying sometimes to see how crappy the animation is. A show like this should have some better animation.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

I liked ep. 11, although it doesn't blow my mind. It's a little hard to judge the philosophical aspects. I found the lead up to the final anticlimatic statement a little wasted. And this show definitely continues a long trend of chance meetings in anime :). People just don't miss each other, even they have an huge wasteland to walk around in.

edit:
More chance meetings in Ep. 12. The wastes don't seem so big. Overall this was a slightly strange ep. After acting subtly for so long, the lack of subtlety in some eps is quite glaring.
Brainpiercing
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

ep 12 was good for me. more going somewhere less boring talking. more chemistry between the characters also. iggy definately got infected, thats predictable: he is the loose cannon now. pino is just pseudo comic relief. vincent is the main character though it wasnt that apparent at first.

i wonder what is lil's role in all this?
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

I enjoyed the last two episodes. Although I have some questions that I was hoping that would be answered. Like why Vincent busted into Real's place, what was his intention and the purpose of that. The reason why Real is following Vincent, although Iggy asked that already. I'm not quite sure why she would get herself into danger because she was merely curious.

It seems there's a lot more proxy than I thought. It's was a bit strange that we see a proxy in the woods in episode 12, it makes it seem that they aren't quite as few as I initally thought.

Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Well, as I said, that was a bit weird. Not only that by chance they meet a proxy in the wastelands, but then it's also obviously a little insane, AND has a robot to help him out.

Real/Lil following vincent doesn't bug me, much. She has been doing impulsive things all the time. Plus, it's quite clear that by intention she is a greater danger to Vincent than Vincent to her. Although I think she is deluding herself, too.
Brainpiercing
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Just in case that you guys don't know, Anii-Jiyuu has released 13.

It seems there was once a factory for developing Proxies, or at least it's hinted subtly to that.

Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

i think its more like the lab used in rome to create its citizens.
and the swamp was a former city.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Gotta agree with Quest here. I think the citizens in Romdeau come from birthing chambers, and Iggy discovered one in the ruins of the city in the wastelands. Possibly the proxies also come from there, but that's not a certainty yet. Possibly this proxy was the one from that city.

Overall I found this ep was good. There was enough emotion to incite some feeling, but not too much to make it corny. I found Iggy's transformation believable, but I would have wished him a little more time. Most of what he said was true, Real really is bitch most of the time.
Brainpiercing