Ergo Proxy

The latest and greatest of Japanese Animation. Found something new, or perhaps old and arcane... if it has to do with anime, it goes right here.

Moderator: EG Members

Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Ergo Proxy

Post by Brainpiercing »

Yes, for those who were excited about this, it's out. And it certainly is sexy. The story so far has been rather non-forthcoming, so it's hard to say where it's headed, but with the quality put into the animation, I'm hoping for the best.

Already two sub-groups on it, random pick (called "Soft-subs":

link
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

I believe Soft-subs uses the HD raw, while the other group (name eludes me) doesn't. Also, the other group's subs could have been a lot better.

Animation looks good, but everything just seems pale and lifeless to me now after Hellsing Ultimate. :\
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

after the 1st ep:
the pace was slow and i did not know what was happening.
reminded me of how witchhunter robin was at the starting.
and i dropped it after 3 ep.

didnt grab my attention at all.
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

I'm not gonna even waste my time with the Jelly fansubs version. Who knows how long it will take till the Anime Kraze version comes out...

Anyone know if this version is good: link ?

NARUTO + BLEACH doesn't even come close to the BEST MANGA= ONE PIECE
arke
Beware my tactical spam

Re: Ergo Proxy Ep. 1

Post by arke »

You mean this group?
Brainpiercing wrote:Already two sub-groups on it, random pick (called "Soft-subs":

link
It's a MKV file, video codec is WMV9 (yay mplayer-bin) and it's HD, 1280x720. Translation was fine, think only had minor spelling errors (all right versus alright).
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

Pretty intresting show, even though I didn't know exactly what was going on, I thought it was pretty.

NARUTO + BLEACH doesn't even come close to the BEST MANGA= ONE PIECE
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Just cought ep 1 of Ergo Proxy and I really dig it. The ending even played Paranoid Android by Radiohead, what a thrill! :D

Getting ep2 now.

Alternative title:
エルゴ プラクシー (Japanese)

Age rating: Mature (May contain sex, drugs, and extreme graphic violence)
Genres: Adventure, Horror, Mystery, Psychological, Science Fiction

Plot Summary: In a world where humans and androids, known as autoraves, live in relative peace, there exists a domed city named "Romudo". Under the implementation of complete management control, it is a paradise where feelings are literally discarded, and the governing council dictates the way of life the citizens should live. But this utopian landscape is soon broken by a series of mystifying murders. Lir Mayer, a female inspector from the Citizen Information Bureau, along with her autorave partner Iggy, are tasked to solve the murder cases. She is soon attacked by a creature drawn to her which is neither human nor android, and learns about the mysterious phenomena called "Awakening", an event which draws her further into the case...and to the world beyond the limits of Romudo.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

2nd ep is out, check baka-updates. It's getting quite creepy, the atmosphere is tight and the story seems to be developing. I'm not sure I like every aspect of the animation. Some things are done really well, others seem a bit sloppy. Lil is still sexy as hell, but sometimes the gestures and facial animations, even though detailed and mainly well executed, seem a little forced, like they were too intent on showing off. The action scenes are surreal at times, possibly intentionally so, but I don't like the stylised animation style used in them much - even though it seems to be the done thing right now.
Brainpiercing
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

after watching the fansub by ani-kraze, it feels much much more slicker. dialogue is way better.

from what i gather so far:
set in a dystopian future where autoraves serve humanity and may even exist as equals.
humans are further categorised between 'model citizens' and 'lowly immigrants'.
there is some kind of virus loose that infects the autoraves.
another threat that is loose from containment is the 'proxy' which i think is some kind of uber autorave.
the main character is lil and maybe their autorave partner 'izzy'.
'proxy' seems to have some kind of connection to lil.

still waiting for the story to becoming interesting....
=)
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

The first episode gave a very good first impression, only thing i didn´t like is that aparently, shotguns in the future have little to no weight and no recoil at all...
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

there is a murderer on the loose, however, from the ending of ep 1, Proxy seemed to not be the 'bad guy' as he/she/it fought raving scary thing that wrote 'awakening' on the mirror.

Proxy is something else.

update: cought up to episode 3, wow it has gotten way better. I even got to see the opening intro which is amazingly well done. I score this series on my top 20. It is a mixture of Victorian Goth, Industrial, and a hint Sci-Fi. Kinda like Battle Angel Alita, but more steril, shotguns, acid and Radiohead.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

sorry for the double post, but the translation of the Michelagelo’s rhyme in the beginning of Ergo Proxy ep1 is 80% wrong.

A better and more literal translation (made by yours truly) ,would be:

«Caro m’è il sonno, e più l’esser di sasso,
«Dear to me is the sleep, and more to be stone

mentre che il danno, e la vergogna dura;
whilst the damage, and the shame endure;

non veder, non sentir, m’è gran ventura;
not to see, not to hear, it’s great venture to me

però non mi destar; deh, parla basso»
but don’t wake me; speak low»

To be more explicative:

«Dear to me is the sleep (i.e. to be asleep), and (even) more to be (literally “made of”) stone
while the damage, and the shame (both) endure (i.e. “go on”);
not to see, not to hear, it’s great venture to me (i.e. “a good fate”)
but don’t wake me; speak low» (meaning, quietly, in low “volume”)

For the curious:

Those (very bitter) words were written by Michelangelo, replying to the poet Giovan Battista Strozzi, that was commenting his statue in the church of San Lorenzo, in Florence, the tomb of “Giuliano di Nemours” - Strozzi said to Michelangelo that this statues were so beautiful that they could come to life (literally, they could “awake”). But Michelangelo, deeply saddened by the crumbling of the Republic of Florence, replied with the words above.

(photo here)

Under the figure of Giuliano Nemours (which is the upper statue, depicted as a warrior/commander) there are two allegoric figures, one representing day and the other representing night. The one representing night is particularly impressive in symbols (a diadem with a crescent moon, an owl (not exactly an owl, but almost: I don’t know the english word for it, the latin name of the bird is “Tyto alba”), a mask with no eyes (empty orbits), a boquet of papavers. This night statue has been polished so well that almost shines. The statue representing day has been deliberately left unfinished and quite shabby as a whole.

The symbols of day and night there, represent the destructive force of aging.
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

Anyone noticed how *really* dark this show is?

I have to turn off the lights and close the curtains, it´s like the Doom 3 of anime.
Last edited by Deathbringer on Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

psi29a wrote:The ending even played Paranoid Android by Radiohead, what a thrill! :D
That was the reason why I downloaded it. I don't watch anime as much as I used to, because I don't really like the sluggish animation, but Ergo Proxy is really stylish. I'm going to be chasing after this one. I enjoyed the first episode.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

Deathbringer wrote:Anyone noticed how *really* dark this show is?

I have to turn off the lights and close the curtains, it´s like the Doom 3 of anime.
yeah and if i dont watch in fullscreen, i will have to switch your wallpaper to all black to minimise the contrast.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

I just watched the 3rd episode. I really like this anime, I haven't watched an anime from beginning to end in a while, and it's nice to have an anime like this that could occupy my very short attention span.

I thought it was relatively stupid in episode 2 to leave Lil alone in the psych ward without some entourages or whatever to look after a 'mentally disturbed' detective giving her time to snoop around to found out the name Proxy. I'm not too sure how she managed to find it out either using the 'Prince's computer, just might have not hid it as well as intended. It looked like she was clicked on an already opened document on a menubar more than searching through files to open it. And is 'Prince' supposed to be a guy? Because I could have sworn it was a chick.

I'm also wondering why Vincent was left relatively unharmed by the Proxy, or why Proxy has taken an interest to Vincent. After killing 47 people and a dozen in severe condition, it seemed very unlikely that Vincent was going to survive that encounter. Obviously, there's something up with Vincent, and we'll have to wait and find out what it is. He might be a badass before altering his own personality to adapt to the new surroundings.

I'm not quite sure why Vincent took an interest with Lil, I personally don't go with the love at first sight theory. I don't know the motive for why Vincent was near the vicinity when Lil was attacked by Proxy, maybe he was trying so hard to become an ideal citizen that he wanted to know how Lil did it, since she's like, the highest ideal citizen ever or something.

I'm really enjoying this, and I want more. I haven't chased after an anime like this for a while. Also fixed the scrolling in this thread by fixing the torrent links, but it's all good, just didn't want to scroll sideways unnecessarily.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Ditto, I'm following this one. Is there a manga to go with this?
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

I'm theorizing that Vincent is the second (first? original? un-sewn up one, anyway) Proxy. I don't see any other reason why the second Proxy would target him in particular- chasing him down only to let him live.

According to the preview episode, there is indeed a manga, to be serialized in WOWOW magazine. It's based on the animé/on the same IP, so I don't see much point in it- yet. I'm withholding judgement 'til I see a raw.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

The way I see it people can't just shove Lil around like she's a nobody, because she's not, but they also can't let her investigate, or she'll dig up stuff she's not supposed to find. The intermediate gives her just enough room to look for clues.

I don't, however, understand how she is supposed to be so close to the ideal emotionless citizen state. She's almost passionate, compared to the other people in the show.
Brainpiercing
Laik
This is my new home

Post by Laik »

This is the kind of series I watch when it's completeled. Watching this kind of series a week apart will probably make me forget some stuff (same reason it was a better idea for me to watch Stand Alone Complex all at once). The only question I have is why is there like seven groups doing the same anime?

Oversubbing makes baby jebus sad.
EG needs some help. Please feel free to contact us if you want to become a part of the staff.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

On the flip side of the coin, competition makes for better subs. Case in point, I'm currently downloading the first episode in insane 1920x1088 resolution, with soft subs based on the Anime-Kraze release.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

damn, most people can't even view the anime at that high def, their computers would crawl and skip lots of frames.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

LordMune wrote:I'm theorizing that Vincent is the second (first? original? un-sewn up one, anyway) Proxy. I don't see any other reason why the second Proxy would target him in particular- chasing him down only to let him live.
That might be possible, but I'm just wondering why he would go to Lil's place in his Proxy form, I just don't see his intentions on doing that. And his eye colour is different from the Proxy's, his being green, and the proxy's being white and colourless. The eye colour maybe changed in his transformation to Proxy state, but I guess we'll have to watch more to find out.

Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Well, was that thing Lil found in her apartment on the other Proxy, and did it actually belong to Vincent? That is the detail I don't remember exactly. If that is so, then the theory on Vincent transforming could be right. That would also help to explain that Vincent won't be out of the show after the third ep.
Brainpiercing
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

ok anikraze is just too slow...
can someone recommend me a good fansubber for this anime?
or are they all as crappy?

=)