Censorship in Manga!!!

Have a fetish for dead wood comics, or you just like the better story development of the Manga? Post about 'em here.

Moderator: EG Members

Damien
Dirty Sennin

Censorship in Manga!!!

Post by Damien »

Is there any manga other than One piece that is censored from the original work?

NARUTO + BLEACH doesn't even come close to the BEST MANGA= ONE PIECE
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

TenTen.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
TheDarkness
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by TheDarkness »

just compare the american version of pokemon to the original japanese ones.... the original suit of misty is more like this
then the later made american version.

a friend of mine has 1 page of the exact same issue of both the jap and the USA version of pokemon showing the huge diff between them.... as soon as i can get my hands on those i will post em here as further illustration
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

I would do some research on a manga before you buy it if you want to know if it has been altered or not. A lot of the stuff that makes it over hear on the shelfs is censored I am willing to say. There are a few people that bring over great untouched american releases. Dark Horse is one of them. I am pretty damn sure every thing they have released has been completely faithful to the original.
TheDarkness
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by TheDarkness »

Ayanami wrote:I would do some research on a manga before you buy it if you want to know if it has been altered or not. A lot of the stuff that makes it over hear on the shelfs is censored I am willing to say. There are a few people that bring over great untouched american releases. Dark Horse is one of them. I am pretty damn sure every thing they have released has been completely faithful to the original.
well i don't even care if they cencor anything over at DH. there is only 1 manga that they are not allowed to take out even 1 drawing from... Berserk
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

In which way is OP censored?

In the swedish version its looks pretty censorless.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

As far as I know, all manga translated into swedish is uncensored.
Censorship is such a barbaric practice, really...
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

Libaax wrote:In which way is OP censored?

In the swedish version its looks pretty censorless.
Okay, they changed ZORO to ZOLO, and I don't know of anything else but there probally is.

raziel
This is my new home

Post by raziel »

this isnt bout the OP manga, but in the anime when it came over to the US I heard that they took away Sanji's cigarette in the opening theme and replaced it with a... lollipop.
Wandering_Mystic
n00b Smasher

Post by Wandering_Mystic »

Don't you dare ever speak of the abomination that is american OP anime again! *shudders* :wink:

I know in the German version they call Luffy "Rufi" and Usopp "Lüsop"

The Usopp change actually makes sense because in Japanese, uso means lie, and Usopp sounds like a hybrid between that and Aesop (as in Aesop's fables). In German, lüge means lie, so they are actually able to pull off a very similar pun in the name. Rufi is just retarded though, don't know why they would ever change that. (Isn't it also Ruffy or something like that in the abomination english dub?)

I heard that Zoro was changed to Zolo because of copyright problems (too close to Zorro I guess, which was the whole point of the name to begin with)
N3oShweaty
This is my new home

Post by N3oShweaty »

a ton of stuff has gone on with the american op. I kno that they have made enough changes to shorten the episode list considerably because some of the events that are going on in the 60s now actually took place in the 70s or eightys (i am thinking of the drum island arc). I dont know if the same kinds of practices such as changing a character from black to white for fear of stereotyping, or removing all blood and alcoholic beverages, or changing the marines to the navy, or removing any and all guns and so on
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

The changes of name are fine, I have no problem with that, it's true that it's lame sometimes (I recently started buying the french OP, the names sounds real weird at 1st). But is that even considered censorship?
But censorship is almost natural at 1st, it's the first step, but then they should loosen up. Manga have been around in France for 20 years or so, and it has been censored at 1st, mainly because people (parents?) didn't understand it and found it too violent, with themes and graphics not adapted for children while the themes (adventure, friendship, etc...) were. It was a big controversy when they aired Fist of the North Star in wednesday afternoon 15 years ago or so(mid-week day/afternoon off for kids). Nowadays parents have actually grown up with manga, they're accustomed to it, so manga are not as prone to censorship now as they used to. You just have to wait, and the US publications should become more and more untouched over time.
I'm not saying censorship is normal, but if you want more mangas in the future you should bear with it for now, I can't believe it can last forever (at least in the US).
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Damien wrote: Okay, they changed ZORO to ZOLO, and I don't know of anything else but there probally is.
I think that change was made in just about every non-Japan release, to avoid legal troubles/confusion with whoever holds the rights to this Zor(r)o
ImageImage
DarkenRahlX
Crusher of Dreams

Post by DarkenRahlX »

As long as DH doesn't censor anything in Berserk I will refrain from killing people.
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

Tempest wrote:
Damien wrote: Okay, they changed ZORO to ZOLO, and I don't know of anything else but there probally is.
I think that change was made in just about every non-Japan release, to avoid legal troubles/confusion with whoever holds the rights to this Zor(r)o
Well that Zorro is LAME.

DarkenRahlX wrote:As long as DH doesn't censor anything in Berserk I will refrain from killing people.
If that ever happened, I would go on a BERSERKER rage and kill 9 people.

Laik
This is my new home

Post by Laik »

Dark Horse are probably the best when it comes the matters like this but, without doubt, CMX are the worst. They edited Tengo Tenge so it could drop a rating but it took out so much content that a lot of people who originally intended to buy it didn't want to anymore after seeing a few of the edits.

Some of the more infamous editing was done to CardCaptors I think and more recently One Piece. I also remember watching a Saturday morning showing of Yu-Gi-Oh with my little cousins and I couldn't help but laugh as they clipped the view since the character was holding a gun, obviously threating to kill the guy.

Censors are a sad thing. How about just marketing the product to the proper demographic in the first place?
EG needs some help. Please feel free to contact us if you want to become a part of the staff.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

I find it lame enough when the original japanese anime is self-censored like with missing nipples or pubic hair. If you want to put that in an anime, then they'd better do it properly.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

TheDarkness wrote:well i don't even care if they cencor anything over at DH. there is only 1 manga that they are not allowed to take out even 1 drawing from... Berserk
Don't forget about Blade of the Immortal man, great stuff. Thankfully they don't censor it either. I mean, that's kind of their thing, to have the stuff, that if otherwise was censored, wouldn't really be that great, or make much sense anyhow. It's a travesty to see these other companies butchering the sacred works or our beloved mangaka's.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

There should be a law against butchering art like that, but unfortunately the laws are made by big business these days....
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

I see the color walk for OP in borders book store and I was gonna buy it but then I seen the word ZOLO in it and I put it back on the shelf.

Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Smart move. ;)

You should buy more BOTI with that money.
Lucifiel
imanewbie

Post by Lucifiel »

Hmmm... Tenjou Tenge was butchered heavily, right? Although now we know it was done at the insistence of the Japanese publisher, to target the teenage market. Quite ridiculous, though, since they probably lost profits from the boycotts.
Skull_Knight
imanewbie

Post by Skull_Knight »

><, censorship sux
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

Thank you for the shitty revive with an incredibly shitty post.
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

Skull_Knight wrote:><, censorship sux
NOT smart. Are you trying to alienate the whole forum by your stupidity?
This should go in the newbie thread as an example of what not to do.