Syrians Torch Embassies Over Caricatures

All the news that's new and approved. We want your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

Moderator: EG Members

vtwahoo
Mastered PM

Post by vtwahoo »

kasgarinn wrote: Complicit is perhaps too harsh of a word, I think there is a need for a group to accept what has happened and to condemn it in public both to show the members of that group and the world that this isn't a behaviour which is accepted.

What word would you choose?
kasgarinn wrote: For instance in the columbine incident, it should really have been the students who took it upon themselves to change things, not the teachers or parents to willfully force limitations upon them.
You're kidding, right?

You want to eliminate the responsibility of the teachers and parents---the aduts whose willful ignorance (shall I say complicity) contributed to the culture that allowed Columbine to happen---and transfer it to traumatized students?

Now I agree that the students in quesiton needed to seriously reexamine and change their attitudes and behaviors toward their fellow classmates. But the analogy you're using is flawed. You're seeing the shooters as radical Muslims and their classmates as mainstream Muslims.

This is far more accurate: Dylan and Eric were the guys flying planes into buildings and their classmates were the United States.

Doesn't make what they did right but does put it into perspective.

At what point does the US step up and take some responsibility for decades of exploitative foreign policy?

And while you're at it, I'd like to see you answer Laik's question:
Laik wrote:Exactly what do you want to see happen?
kasgarinn
Found the Edit button

Post by kasgarinn »

Vtwahoo:
What word would you choose?
Hmm, I can't really find a single word which could sum it up like I'd want it to mean, I guess complicit will have to do, you know what I mean by it.
(shall I say complicity)
No, you shouldn't, complacency is a much better word.
At what point does the US step up and take some responsibility for decades of exploitative foreign policy?
Good question.. When people of the US perhaps finally see the flaws of a corrupt 2 party system, and mandate a system which makes it more difficult to hide corruption and ignore responsibilities?
Exactly what do you want to see happen?
Well, more of this: http://www.sorrynorwaydenmark.com/

K.
Killfile
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Killfile »

Short of a complete revision of the US Constitution, scrapping our entire system of government and starting over from scratch - there is nothing that can eliminate the two party system in the United States.

The reasons for this are manifold, but are better suited for another thread.
Carthago delenda est!

--Killfile @ [Nephandus.com]
panasonic
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by panasonic »

Hmm, I can't really find a single word which could sum it up like I'd want it to mean, I guess complicit will have to do, you know what I mean by it.
what do you mean?
"Education is the foundation upon which you build your entire lust for cash"-Onizuka

http://www.striporama.com/edits/main.html
vtwahoo
Mastered PM

Post by vtwahoo »

Killfile wrote:Short of a complete revision of the US Constitution, scrapping our entire system of government and starting over from scratch - there is nothing that can eliminate the two party system in the United States.
Killfile knows this but want to clarify.

The two party system isn't part of the US Constitution but it has been so structurally institutionalized into the US democratic system that it may as well be.

There are a number of provisions that prevent the success of third parties...the winner-take-all system, the electoral college, the system of Congressional districts.

So the point is the same...unless you're ready to start from scratch, what's you plan?

Furthermore, your question ("When people of the US perhaps finally see the flaws of a corrupt 2 party system, and mandate a system which makes it more difficult to hide corruption and ignore responsibilities?") did not provide an answer to mine and had no direct link to the topic. Care to explain?
Killfile
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Killfile »

BERLIN -- A Muslim cultural institute in Germany on Monday criticized Iranian President Mahmud Ahmadinejad for disparaging the Holocaust, daring him to visit the Auschwitz concentration camp.
I wonder - is it that Moderate Muslims don't speak out, or that we don't listen? Afterall, violence sells more advertisements than peace, love, roses, and bunnies.

Read more about it in the Middle East Times.
Carthago delenda est!

--Killfile @ [Nephandus.com]
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

*Pokes head in*

Killfile that is an interesting point. I think one of the big reasons that Radical Muslims are looked on differently than radical Christians and other religous extremists is that we rarely if ever hear of Moderate or any other kind of Muslim condeming attacks/statements made by their radical counterparts. When an attack is made by other religous extremists, we hear a ton of leaders both religiously and otherwise speaking against those attacks/statments. It was one of the interesting things about post-9/11 I thought. I live (When not is school) in the Dearborn area, with one of, if not the, largest concentrations of Lebanese and other people of Middle Eastern decent outside of their home countues, and though I heard many individuals speak out against the actions of Muslim terrorists, I haven't really heard much from religious or community leaders. I think it is a combination of the fact that we aren't trying hard enough to listen, and they aren't trying hard enough to be heard.

*runs back to Video Game forum*
ImageImage
kasgarinn
Found the Edit button

Post by kasgarinn »

panasonic:
what do you mean?
My dear fellow, for a complete reply to your vapid question, I must direct you to this thread Just read through my few replies until you get to the last post of the thread.

vtwahoo:
The two party system <snip>

So the point is the same...unless you're ready to start from scratch, what's you plan?
For any real answer to that, I suggest you use the wonderful education system in america and take it up with learned scholars and doctors who possibly could research the validity of a better political system which could be evolved from the current one.
Care to explain?
Not really, it's a slight de-railment of the subject matter at hand, and only meant as a short comment on the situation you mentioned of a corrupt foreign policy, I'm not to take it you want to derail the debate, am I?

Killfile:
Every time someone mentions the holocaust or 2nd world war, I am reminded of this thread on IMDB.com (you might have to be registered to see the thread)

Wonderful piece of insight from olaf110, although riddled with crap from other repliers.

...Of course I've just completely destroyed any and all arguments I've had by showing you that thread, but I'm content if it 1) makes people read it (still get something in my eye from reading it.. sand, that's it.), and 2) that sorrynorwaydenmark site means perhaps tentative steps towards equality, understanding and the clear opposition to violence, no matter what form, from both sides is proceeding.

K.
vtwahoo
Mastered PM

Post by vtwahoo »

kasgarinn wrote:
For any real answer to that, I suggest you use the wonderful education system in america and take it up with learned scholars and doctors who possibly could research the validity of a better political system which could be evolved from the current one.
I talk to those learned scholars and doctors every day...they are my colleauges (make the leap from there to my profession).

But because I cannot be distracted from the point at hand I notice that once again you've attempted to dodge a valid question: what do -=you=- propose that we do about it.

I've noticed that you really like to talk but you don't like to answer direct questions. Why is that?
panasonic
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by panasonic »

ya, you give us links to other ppl's ideas, however, you dont give us your's.
"Education is the foundation upon which you build your entire lust for cash"-Onizuka

http://www.striporama.com/edits/main.html
Sortep
n00b eater

Post by Sortep »

he'd have to remove the tall white hood 1st... it's much easier to hold placards... (not a flame just fucking around)

Alot of it may be that he finds people who's ideals he agrees with yet can voice the supporting data to those ideals more concisely than he can... nothing wrong with that... but this thing has strayed a bit
Bow to Golbez
kasgarinn
Found the Edit button

Post by kasgarinn »

I delayed answering just to see if someone had something more to say on the topic this thread is created for, and as no real further input has been posted, I guess we've come to a conclusion.

And regarding me not replying comprehensively to questions which have no connection to the topic at hand.. I feel that more than a comment would hijack the thread and its topic, so I ignore any further questions on a different topic.

You are more than free to start a new thread if you feel the digressive subject is important enough to discuss it, and I am more than free to ignore it if I don't.

Thanks for the debate, it's been interesting.

K.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

lol @ posting on IMDB