"LOST" *Spoiler Alert*

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

I hate this show, it leaves me with so many questions, but I cant stop watching it.
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
blames them for his own mistakes." - Gene Roddenberry
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

I just watch the season finale... well at least what I recored, fucking ABC tricked me I set the vcr to record only a hour becuse when they say two hour finale they mean one hour recap and a hour of new stuff... but this time it was two hour finale :evil: :roll:

Now I have to wait for the DVD's to hit stores :evil:
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

Sandman wrote:I just watch the season finale... well at least what I recored, fucking ABC tricked me I set the vcr to record only a hour becuse when they say two hour finale they mean one hour recap and a hour of new stuff... but this time it was two hour finale :evil: :roll:

Now I have to wait for the DVD's to hit stores :evil:
no you dont, go to like abc.com or something and you can stream past LOST episodes. itunes also should have the finale for like a dollar or for free.

Both are in very high quality.

if its really a burden, torrents are your friend, but ive said too much.
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Saw the season finale and everything that happened just filled me with even more questions then I had to begin with. Thats what makes this series so awesome, you never know whats gonna happen next.

On another sidenote, what happened to "The 4400"? Has that show been canceled or what?

\"No Sane man will dance.\"
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)
Starnum
Elven King

Re: LOST!!

Post by Starnum »

I just recently finished watching all the episodes, including the season premiere of the 4th season. I didn't expect to get so caught up with this show, but I have. I'm really impressed with it. I've heard a lot of criticisms about this show, as well as praise.

(Warning!!: Intense Spoilerage Ahoy!)

Though some have said it's pointless, I say what is the point of any show, but to entertain. It definitely does that. Some would argue that it's all a big scam and they're just leading us around by the nose. I disagree, many things have already been revealed, that I feared wouldn't be. We've actually seen the "monster". We've learned a lot more about the "others" and the Dharma initiative as well. However, as we continue, there are more and more questions. I think if you just stick with it, answers will also continue to come, as they have.

Let's talk about some of the mysterious of the island for a moment. Like the monster, what do you guys think it is? We've seen it, it's a black cloud of smoke or darkness. They've denied claims that it's a nanobot cloud. I personally think it's more of a supernatural entity, though science could definitely be involved as well. I like to think of it as a miasma. If you know what that is, you'll see where I'm coming from. Of course we still don't know what it really is, or how it came to be. I believe it’s a part of the island, a physical manifestation of it’s will, and that’s why it can physically manipulate it’s surroundings.

People complain that they'll never get off the island. Even though I don't think it's even about that so much, it seems they (or at least six of them) already have. I can't wait to learn more about that. However, it seems that some of them want to go back. Indeed, I believe it is there destiny to be on that island. That’s what’s important, the island and it’s mysterious, and uncovering those mysterious. As well as the development of the characters, which has been absolutely great. Sure, there’s a lot of drama, but it’s so much more than a soap opera, and calling it that is degrading it. It was very important for the characters to want to get off the island, because that’s natural. However as things continue to develop as they have, I’m hoping we can move beyond that major aspect, and focus on what’s really important.

Whether the series runs for years to come, or only has another season or two, I’m sure they’ll know when the end is coming, and everything will eventually be wrapped up. As we’ve already seen, getting off the island isn’t everything. I think if you really pay attention, and have a good sense of inference, you can attune yourself with this show like John Locke has with the island. By that I mean, I think I have a pretty good understanding of the show. I'm pretty good at putting the pieces together, at least what pieces I've been given so far. For example, Jacob. At first I was worried that Ben was just crazy like Locke said, or putting on a show, but then not only did we hear him, but I saw him too, ever so briefly. Some kind of scientific trickery? I wouldn't put it past Benjamin, but I don't know, I think there's someone in that creepy old cabin. I think Locke believes it now too.

Well I'm kind of rambling on with several different tangents. It's because I haven't really had many people to talk to about the show since I've watched all of it. Most importantly, I think the characters are very well written and developed. Even though I don't care if Kate ends up with either Jack or Sawyer, whatever makes her happy, geez. I hate love triangles, people need to be more decisive. Besides that, I think the character interactions are also very captivating, and when Charlie died, man that was sad eh? Ok, that's all for now, see what you guys have to say. I found the new episode to be somewhat lacking, I guess I was expecting more from the premiere of the 4th season. However, I'm still really looking forward to what's to come.
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Re: "LOST"

Post by Loeviz »

Didnt know that a new episode had come out even :P
Was such a long time ago the last season ended so my memory of what has happened is a bit clouded.
However I do remember that Locke went to the cabin with Ben. Ben freaked out cause Locke could hear and see their so called "leader".
Guess Locke will take over as the leader in time or something.
I havent heard anyone wishing they would get of the island, I like the parts they show that are from it the best.
All the flashbacks that take up 3/4 of an episode can be a little to much at times cause I want to see something from the Island instead that drives the story forward.

What the monster is I dont know, dont remember that much of it to be honest.
Cant remember if if the russian with one eye died in the last episode?
What I do want to know is how he could raise from the dead all the time, do they have clones of him perhaps or is that to far fetched?
I hope they get back to the island, thought it was a little to crazy now that they are in the future.

Ive slept about 2 hours and have a tremendous hang over so my writing can be a little of :P
So much I want to write but just cant muster the energy to do so.
Maybe later

Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Ah cool, well I'll definitely discuss the show with you if you want. Yeah, that damn one-eyed Russian is unstoppable apparently. If we see him again, something has got to be up with that guy. I mean, he's already had a brain hemorrhage from the security pylons, and been capped in the chest, and yet lived. The last we saw him, it appeared as if he blew himself up to blow open the port window, which flooded the chamber Charlie was in and drowned him. Is it possible Mr. Cyclops could swim away before the grenade could explode? I don't know, but you'd think he'd be caught in the blast and killed either way. Yeah, there's definitely another mystery surrounding that dude as well.
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

Interesting post Starnum. Bit in a hurry, but I generally loved the premiere. Regarding the russian, I do think its possible he was in this episode. Spoiler for those who hasnt seen it....but do you recall when Hugo was alone in the woods, got lost, and stumbled into the cabin? The dissapearing visions of it. He got clsoe and peaked in, and besides the rocking chair old man, someone else looked straight at Hugo from the window and scared him off? That looked like the patchy :lol: The russian.

Btw, regarding the cast for the episode, I just glance at it when the episodes start....and the rocking old chair mystery man looked like Jacks dad, Christian. And the cast list confirmed it, the actors name was up there. Even weirder, Walts dad, Michael was in the cast list for the episode, do you recall him being in this episode?
Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of the hunt will be(weak) told by the hunter
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

You think Jacob could be Jack's dad, hm, I don't know about that. I suppose with this show anything is possible, but they still list people in the credits even when they're not in that particular episode. For example, Rodrigo Santoro (played Paolo in the show, and also played Xerxes in 300.) was credited in the episode before the first one he appeared in.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

Oceanic 6. Man that just fucks with me. Only 6 people got off that island, Jack must have made the hard decision to leave other behind, hence maybe the drinking? Only 7 more episodes of Lost left for this season!
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Did they finish the season before the writers strike? Or are they gonna stop mid-season like most shows?
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

War Machine wrote:Did they finish the season before the writers strike? Or are they gonna stop mid-season like most shows?

This current season will have only 8 episodes. After that there will only be 40 episodes left. JJ Abrams says that there is an ending to all of LOST and that we will get to see it. The writer's strike didnt really hurt LOST that much, they story was already written a long time ago, rather the writer's strike basically got rid of all the filler that might have happened in this season lol.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

AFAIK Lost is scheduled for 6 seasons, the last one for 2010. You guys are in the middle of the fourth season now right? For us overseas here the third just recently started.

I watched the whole first season episode for episode and was enthrilled, but somewhere along second season I somehow lost interest and didn't really find the time to watch every episode. And seeing an episode after not seeing 5 is kinda screwed up with al the story going on. Anyway someday I'll probably buy the DVD set.

Regarding season three: Yesterday I read the spoilage on Wikipedia that my favorite character, Merry, I mean Charlie bites the dust at the end of the season. Damn them. Damn them all to hell!
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Starnum wrote:Ah cool, well I'll definitely discuss the show with you if you want. Yeah, that damn one-eyed Russian is unstoppable apparently. If we see him again, something has got to be up with that guy. I mean, he's already had a brain hemorrhage from the security pylons, and been capped in the chest, and yet lived. The last we saw him, it appeared as if he blew himself up to blow open the port window, which flooded the chamber Charlie was in and drowned him. Is it possible Mr. Cyclops could swim away before the grenade could explode? I don't know, but you'd think he'd be caught in the blast and killed either way. Yeah, there's definitely another mystery surrounding that dude as well.

Been a little busy but now I can respond.
Well as Shaka said it did look like the russian was inside the house, didnt see much more then that since it was just a fast flash.
Hope we will get an explanation soon why he survives all the time :P
He just pops up everywhere, hehe.
Ive begun to ponder the idea that the ones that are coming to "save" them will drop a napalm bomb or something like that if only 6 survives.
And what does everyone want with Hurley? Do they want him to fund some kind of operation that will go back to the Island?

Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, there's really no telling with this show. The fact that only 6 got off the island is a little unsettling though. I hope everyone else is okay. I have a feeling that they'll be going back to the island though, so maybe everyone didn't get blown up, we'll see. New episode tonight, be sure to Tivo it! :P
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

I hope they just left the others on the Island, that they hid or something.
They did go to where the others had their village and they did go somewhere, maybe they will find where they went and hid at the same place.

halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

My theory on Jack. Why does he want to go back?

He was nothing on civilization, a brain surgeon that married the woman he saved and then left him for stupid reasons, a father that was a drunken asshole, so much that jack wanted to be there with his body to make sure that he was beneath the earth. On the island, Jack was someone, a respected man, because of his ambitions to help everyone. People praised him for his efforts. He swore that he would make decisions in the best intrests to save the people on the island. Then we caught a glimpse of his life after the island. He was a wreck, even worse than before, he tries to hide the fact that he left people behind and for that he hates himself, his life is ruined over the idea that there are still survivors left on the island.

just my idea on jack.

though i cant wait for tonight's episode to come on.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, I totally agree with you Half. On the island he was a great man, a leader. If I was him or Locke, I'd never leave that island. In fact, as far as I can tell, they're all meant to be there, it's their destiny.

**update**

New episode was interesting.

[spoiler]When they found the fossilized remains of the polar bear and the Dharma Initiative collar, it got me to thinking. Just a theory, but I wonder if when they pass through the electrical storm to get to the island, if maybe there's time travel involved. Still not enough clues to be sure, but that did come to mind. I'm still trying to make sense of the fake Oceanic 815 plane and human remains they found in the trench. So far my best guess is that its a cover-up by the group that sent the "rescue" team to the island to get Ben. Anyway, I'm pretty sure the others are still on the island, because Charlie's ghost was telling Hugo that they needed him.[/spoiler]
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Yeah the episode was really something.

[spoiler]I wonder what they really want Ben for, is he maybe a person from the future that needs to be sent back perhaps?
I could understand the time travel thing, but how did they come back to the right age again when they left the Island (Those that did)?
Dont really agree with the cover-up with the plane in the ocean though. I think it might be the plane, the one that was supposed to fly it rang in and told them he wasnt flying it and all :P).
However, what the hell does Miles want with Ben? Does he want to know why he can see and sense ghosts like he can?[/spoiler]

Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

[spoiler]If there is time-travel involved, it must only be two ways. I'm not exactly familiar with what other plane theory you mention, but that could be the case. Like I said, I'm still pretty confused about that aspect. [/spoiler]
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

I think both of you are wrong on your take of what motivates Jack, its pretty shallow and simplistic view of him. I can understand why as a general point its understandable to come to that conclusion, but Jack is really a torn up complicated guy to be so simplified, so many Jack-centric episodes has told us he is as far from as vain as you two describe him.

Regarding the new episode, I dont like using spoiler tags, but this series is really epic. Beyond epic.
Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of the hunt will be(weak) told by the hunter
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Hold on, I never said that's what motivates Jack, I just said that's how it is. I guess I came off the wrong way, let me clarify. I don't think he's upset about leaving the island, because he was someone there. I would probably feel that way, but I doubt Jack concerns himself with that too much. Though I'm sure he misses what he had there, not necessarily being leader, but just what he had. It seems like back home he has nothing. You're right, he's not vain, and he usually has really good intentions for his motivations. All I was saying was that on the island, he was far more important than when he wasn't. Saying that about a guy like Jack is saying a lot too, dude's a spinal surgeon. I'm sure that he wants to go back for the others. They got off the island, and the others didn't, and he can't save them, plus someone else died. There's a serious problem, and he can't fix it. I'm not exactly sure what all has Jack so tore up in the flash-fowards, but I'm sure he's got good reasons.

When I was at Job Corps, I was a dorm leader, a leader in my trade, and a member of the student council. That's probably the most involved in anything like that I've ever been. I didn't do much in high school except try to get good grades. Plus, the place was in the middle of nowhere, so it was kind of a similar situation, but not really, lol. Honestly, I miss being so important, but the freedoms I have now surpass that. There's lots of restictions at Job Corps, and you live there, and like I said it was out in the hills with nothing around for miles. Though I'm sure Jack is a greater man than me, so his motivations are probably more pure, heh. Besides, Job Corps was cool while it lasted, but I would never want to go back, lol. That's where I met my wife though, so that was a blessing.

So which characters do you guys relate to best? For me, it's probably Locke, as I'm usually torn between Jack and Sawyer. Though, everyone has done something fucked up at one point or another. I would want to help out in that situation, and I try to be a pretty nice guy, but I also agree with Sawyer's rougher side a lot too.
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

Exactly, all in all agreed. You recall the flashforward last season ended with right? He was so torn up and depressed, crying and shouting to Kate they must go back. Him reacting like that, knowing how he is normally, something must be really off.

And its far from him missing being the messiah, though he has messiah-complex. In a Good way, not vain way (as earlier post described, very miscalculating and shallow take of him). He takes the load off everyone and wants to save everyone, or he will beat himself down bad if fails to save a single one of his "herd", even if its impossible to say every single one. Thats the kind of thing that makes him really torn up.
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

I havent really thought which character I relate to, I think I jump from one to another since every situation is so different from the other that they find themselves in the middle of.

[spoiler]By the way, do you think that Locke is going to sacrifice Ben to the one living in the cabin?
He might be a ghost that wants them to remove/find an item so he can be at rest, like the ghost that Miles took the money from.[/spoiler]

Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Heh, no telling. Though I have considered the possibilty that Jacob is a spirit, like the spirit or incarnation of the island. That would be cool. Only time will tell.