Katrina Classified

All the news that's new and approved. We want your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

Moderator: EG Members

Bush should...

... release the documents. If he has nothing to hide then there's nothing to be afraid of.
100%
... hold his ground. The privacy of the presidency is inviolate.
No votes

Total votes: 8

Killfile
Flexing spam muscles

Katrina Classified

Post by Killfile »

USA Today wrote:The White House is crippling a Senate inquiry into the government's sluggish response to Hurricane Katrina by barring administration officials from answering questions and failing to hand over documents, senators leading the investigation said Tuesday.
The Bush Administration, citing confidentiality and National Security, is refusing to turn over government documents to the Congressional Investigation into the Katrina debacle. The investigatory committee, comprised of Senators like Susan Collins of Maine and Joe Lieberman of Connecticut has responded strongly to the administration's tight-lipped stance, calling it "totally inappropriate" and "a gag order."

Many, and not just the liberal left, are pointing out that the refusal to release these documents and allow testimony is simply a convenient way for the Bush Administration to avoid another beating in the press over the abysmal failure that was the Federal response to Katrina.

These documents and the gaged testimony are likely to be the pieces of evidence that answers this question:
"How is it that the White House Situation Room received detailed warnings 48 hours before Hurricane Katrina hit, that the National Hurricane Center was warning CNN and the world that Katrina could be The Big One, that FEMA reported two days before landfall that Katrina's surge `could greatly overtop levees and protective systems,' destroy nearly 90 percent of city structures, require `incredible search and rescue needs (60,000-plus),' and displace more than a million people - and the President days later still insisted on national television, `I don't think anybody anticipated the breach of the levees' that left 1,300 dead and thousands more homeless?"
Carthago delenda est!

--Killfile @ [Nephandus.com]
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

nothing was done cos nobody cared.
in essence, bush is hiding nothing.
Sortep
n00b eater

Post by Sortep »

fuck it.. i'm going to say it... i support a 20 year killfile dictatorship... that being said.. i'm moving to canada until killfile is doin repairing this country... peace!
Bow to Golbez
Killfile
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Killfile »

<galadriel>
In place of a Dark Lord you would have a Queen! Not dark but beautiful and terrible as the Morning! Treacherous as the Sea! Stronger then the foundations of ...
</galadriel>

Wait.... I'm not a queen and dresses make my thighs look big.

While I appreciate the sentiment, I'm not sure I make for a very convincing Cincinnatus. Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. I know you're (mostly) kidding, but it's important to restate -- no matter how screwed up things get, remember that the rule of law, not the rule of what any particular person thinks is right, is what's most important.

The Bush presidency's failures all focus upon one fundamental flaw. Hubris. Bush thinks that he can do whatever he wants and that the Presidency is the same thing as a despotism. He acts that way, he talks that way, and he runs the country that way. The important thing to realize is that, even if you agree with what Bush is doing that it's bad for the country and the Republic to let him run things like he owns the place.
Carthago delenda est!

--Killfile @ [Nephandus.com]
Sortep
n00b eater

Post by Sortep »

The comment was made completely in jest. However, you hold very balanced views and a coherrent and sensible (in agreement with my ideas thus sensible) platform. All vanity aside, you've pretty much almost removed my need to post in this section, being as you usually have covered what I would put forth (though not as eloquently). Still, Killfile for prez.
Bow to Golbez