It's All About The Money

All the news that's new and approved. We want your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

Moderator: EG Members

The most corrupt in DC....

... the Democrats
6%
... the Republicans
17%
... the Lobyists
11%
... the Press
6%
... Psi29a. It's all his fault. Asshat.
61%

Total votes: 18

Killfile
Flexing spam muscles

It's All About The Money

Post by Killfile »

I for one am getting sick and tired of having the best government money can buy. I understand that the ability to give money to candidates is something that is constitutionally protected as free speech - and that the government may only regulate such speech if it presents a clear and present danger, yet the fact remains that our very system of government is being severely undermined by what has quite obviously and plainly become little more than a 3rd World system of graft, expanded to 1st World proportions.

Both sides are guilty - and while Jack Abramhof is likely to bring down a -=LOT=- more Republicans than Democrats, the Democratic party can't afford to pretend that its hands are clean.

Several Democrats just got off a plane in Jamaica for a five day tour of the island in which they will, ostensibly, discuss security and other governmental issues. Bullshit.

Governmental service should be about just that - service. We have created a system which is unsustainable. Representatives are literally beholden to lobbyists for the very food they eat.

The solution is obvious - though it requires a political will far beyond what presently exists on Capitol Hill. We need these rules:

1 - All "gifts" to a candidate are the property of the state, save for those gifts given by persons the candidate knew before entering public life. This is how it works for the president.

2 - Any "gifts" that are not long term property are expressly forbidden. That means no trips, no tours, no expensive meals, etc.

3 - Monetary gifts, such as campaign contributions, must be given to a blind fund. Access to the donors list for each fund is locked until a fixed number of days before an election. The specific amount of each donation would remain anonymous unless the candidate sought to return the funds.

The line between flat out bribes and real campaign contributions is very hazy right now. I'd like to see that line strongly defined. While DC investigates the Abramoff scandal, I sincerely hope that each and every Rep and Sen who finds them selves on the dark side of that line suffers for it.

Of course, the fact that this will impact the GOP (at least this time around) far more than the Democrats is just a late Christmas present for me - but still. That kind of crap is intolerable - from Democrats and Republicans alike.
Carthago delenda est!

--Killfile @ [Nephandus.com]
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

It's all psi's fault obviously. That asshat.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

lobbyist is two b's

:P

what a world

if any member lives in a country where they can keep politics "clean", pleas post a big I
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

it's all my fault, *martyr complex*
ucrzymofo87
This is my new home

Post by ucrzymofo87 »

It really is a shame though, not psi being an asshat, but that our government is terrible at regulating itself.

The cost of campaigning is astronomical, so its no wonder these politicans will do anything for money. We need a system like Great Britain where contributions are limited and representatives care more about their constituents. Also, I would be in favor of expanding the size of the House of Representatives so more people are represented by more representatives. This would make representatives more responsible to their electorate and they would not need much money to campaign because the districts would be smaller and less populated.
"Living for the future is more important than trying to avenge the past...i guess." -Puck
Killfile
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Killfile »

ucrzymofo87 wrote:It really is a shame though, not psi being an asshat, but that our government is terrible at regulating itself.

The cost of campaigning is astronomical, so its no wonder these politicans will do anything for money. We need a system like Great Britain where contributions are limited and representatives care more about their constituents. Also, I would be in favor of expanding the size of the House of Representatives so more people are represented by more representatives. This would make representatives more responsible to their electorate and they would not need much money to campaign because the districts would be smaller and less populated.
The House is arguably more corruptable than the Senate, since they have to run ever 2 years. Campaign season is NEVER over in the House.

Also - don't forget about the 1st Ammendment. You can't limit donations quite like GB does. Between the fluidity of money (it finds the cracks) and the first ammendment protections, a top down regulation is all but impossible.....

Pause.... remember this moment. A Lefist is telling a Righty that a top down regulation is impractical. <vader>This will be a day long remembered</vader>

Expanding the house be difficult - and the house itself would never agree, as it would dilute the powerbase there. Term limits get tossed around, but those would take an ammendment as well. Overall, it's a really hard problem to fix.
Carthago delenda est!

--Killfile @ [Nephandus.com]
Rosiel
Beware my tactical spam

Post by Rosiel »

I was actually considering it for like a minute till i say the Psi choice.
Under Construction!
evilester_me
This is my new home

Post by evilester_me »

I

I'm starting my own country.
:wink:
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

As I see the poll results it would be more reasonable to make psi start his own country.
vtwahoo
Mastered PM

Post by vtwahoo »

ucrzymofo87 wrote:It really is a shame though, not psi being an asshat, but that our government is terrible at regulating itself.
Three things:

1. It is a shame that psi is an asshate
2. No government is good at regulating itself. You mention the British but they have their own problems relative to corruption.
3. As an expert on campaign finance said, money in politics is like water in a river...it will find its way around or through any obstacle you put in its way.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

*hangs head* so, why am I an asshat? :sweat:

*sings* " We didn't start the fire... "