In Iraq: "Huge weapons cache found"

All the news that's new and approved. We want your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

Moderator: EG Members

psi29a
Godo

In Iraq: "Huge weapons cache found"

Post by psi29a »

source
ZUWAD KHALAF, Iraq — As the piles of missiles and rockets dug from the desert floor grew, smiles on soldiers’ faces turned to scowls of serious concern.

Working on a tip from an informant, soldiers from the 101st Airborne Division on Tuesday dug up more than a thousand aging rockets and missiles wrapped in plastic, some of which had been buried as recently as two weeks ago, Army officials said.

“This is the mother lode, right here,” Sgt. Jeremy Galusha, 25, of Dallas, Ore., said, leaning on a shovel after uncovering more than 20 Soviet missiles.

As the sun set Tuesday, soldiers continued to uncover more, following zigzagging tire tracks across the desert floor and using metal detectors to locate weapons including mines, mortars and machine gun rounds.

But the growing piles of missiles and rockets were of primary concern for the soldiers in Iraq, where bombs made with loose ordinance by insurgents are the preferred method to target coalition forces.
This is typical in my opinion, not WMD, but still quite a large cache. The real problem is this:
Still, the plastic around some of the rockets — of Soviet, German and French origins — appeared to be fresh and had not deteriorated as it had on some of the older munitions.
The articles makes mention of munitions that had inspection details from 1984, those that are aging. The real problem was the new munitions in plastic, of origins that came from the 3 nations that where most apposed to the Iraq war.

Just food for thought.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Maybe thats why they was against the war,afraid of thier secret coming out.

Also other than US who else is big enough to supply Sadamm with weapon like these.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Wandering_Mystic
n00b Smasher

Post by Wandering_Mystic »

I recommend watching the movie "Lord of War" for a look into what it's lilke being an arms dealer, the true middleman of major munitions sales, and belonging to no one country. If there were no US missiles at all in that dump, that in itself would be pretty suspcious to my mind, because we sure as hell sold them such things, over and under the table. The fact that some of the missiles were only recently buried only fuels an ugly stench of possibly being planted.

But what do I know? I only had a pretty good idea that sooner or later, weapons would be found, whether they were put there by Iraquis or not.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Libaax wrote:Maybe thats why they was against the war,afraid of thier secret coming out.

Also other than US who else is big enough to supply Sadamm with weapon like these.
North Korea at the moment, only because they would sell anything they could just to feed their starving population.

Here is an image of N. Korean made SCUD missiles that where on their way to Yemen, hidden under powdered cement mix.

Times Magazine

It is to early to tell if it was planted by US forces and the 101st 'found' them, or if it was burried recently and used to make IEDs as time allowed.

If some of them looked like they where burried just 2 weeks ago, then by who?
MsNomer
Mastered PM

Post by MsNomer »

With George W. Bush's popularity continuing to slide and his "stay the course" program for Iraq, it seems not only possible but probable that these weapons were planted to justify his actions. Interesting that Cheney was just "in country" the other day and now we have this blaring evidence for justification. Some things are just too unlikely to be a coincidence.
BasouKazuma
Flexing spam muscles

Post by BasouKazuma »

Bah, too many conspiracy theories here. :lol:
ucrzymofo87
This is my new home

Post by ucrzymofo87 »

MsNomer wrote:With George W. Bush's popularity continuing to slide and his "stay the course" program for Iraq, it seems not only possible but probable that these weapons were planted to justify his actions. Interesting that Cheney was just "in country" the other day and now we have this blaring evidence for justification. Some things are just too unlikely to be a coincidence.
Wow. :holycrap:
"Living for the future is more important than trying to avenge the past...i guess." -Puck
Killfile
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Killfile »

Occom's razor suggests coincidence in this case.

That said, the Pentagon has a lot of power in terms of directing media attention. We've been finding weapons caches like this for months -- that this one gets media coverage at this time probably isn't a coincidence.

Fundamentally - this is a non story. We're talking about PLASTIC WRAP here. The supply of plastique is something to worry about - the supply of what amounts to industrial grade cellophane is -- well -- irrelevant.
Carthago delenda est!

--Killfile @ [Nephandus.com]
Shisho
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by Shisho »

I'm hard pressed to believe anything being reported anymore. I just go hmm, that's interesting.