Superhero comics and other comics.

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Femto
Devourer of Children

Re: Superhero comics and other comics.

Post by Femto »

I just read the first issue of Legion of 3 Worlds.

It's fucking awesome.

You can almost see Superboy Prime's character arc through the Crisis books.

From hero in the first Crisis to his descent into madness in Infinite Crisis and now, in FInal Crisis, perhaps redemption?

Leave it to Geoff Johns to tease yet another "Superboy Prime goes crazy and kills a bunch of guys" story and leave you with something much more character driven.

Geoff Johns, you crazy awesome motherfucker.

Can't wait to see how this unfolds.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

"You know what? Fuck DC comics. That's all I have to say and that's where I'm really coming from." - Ironman (robert downey jr.)
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

I thought this was funny...

MournfulWoods
This is my new home

Post by MournfulWoods »

I received today my order of the first Deluxe Hardcover for Y The Last Man. This is a must have, and will have a designated place in my bookshelf righ on the side of the Deluxe Girls hardcover, deluxe Sandman and Walking Dead Hc.

I just recently read Watchmen since the movie is coming up soon and there was this 20$ edition at the store and tought I'd give it a try since it's been for so long that I've heard that this is the greatest graphic novel. It's not my favourite reading but it's still an intense experience. I'm glad I picked it up, will re-read for sure. Rorshash is the man. Anyone knows it Alan Moore's Swamp Thing issues are worth checking out ?

Anyone can give me feedback on Warren Elis' Doktor Sleepless and/or Freakangels ?
http://backalleybazaar.wordpress.com
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

I think right now, Final Crisis is a better story than Secret Invasion. While I initially said that Secret Invasion was a better first issue, in the long run, it seems that Final Crisis is much more interesting than Secret Invasion. Secret Invasion, it seems, happened in a course of a couple of days, while Final Crisis spent several months in their timeline.

Spider-Man is a great read right now, it's one of the most fun I had reading a comic book. I think the 'return to roots' approach works, much like in an 'ultimate' approach. Speaking of Ultimate, Ultimatum sucked. I don't know, Jeph Loeb's writing isn't doing anything for me. Was one of the criticism for Ultimatum was that the Ultimate Universe was becoming too much like 616? If so, but isn't that what Jeph Loeb did in the Ultimates, by making all the members resemble and act like their 616 counterparts?

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
MournfulWoods
This is my new home

Post by MournfulWoods »

I have never really ventured in DC superheroes comics. Would I be able to enjoy Final Crisis without having read past issues from involved characters ?
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

The last two issues of Final Crisis have been kinda tame in my opinion.

The second issues of Legion of 3 Worlds was amazing and I'm not even familiar with the Legion of Superheroes.

Rage of the Red Lanterns was fantastic (even though it had absolutely nothing to do with Final Crisis), Rogues Revenge was OK, the New Krypton storyline seems like a fantastic idea and The Walking Dead is so depressing that I'm tempted to stop reading it (but I won't because I want to know what happens next).

100 Bullets #97 tomorrow.

Can't wait.

I can't believe it'll be all over in 3 more issues.

One of best comic book series of all time.

"Wylie Runs the Voodoo Town" is one of my favorite story arcs ever.

That's my comic book recap.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Rogue's Revenge felt a little off to me, I kept checking to make sure I was reading right when it said "Book __ of 3" because the pacing seemed like that of a 5 or 6 part story, then all of a sudden it ends at book 3. I'm not saying there should have been more stuff in the overall story, but book 3 was sort of like a bombardment of information and action:

[spoiler]"Hey, we're in Weather Wizard's old hideout"
"Hey, it's Impulse, fuck you Impulse!"
"Hey it's Libra, fuck you too Libra!"
"Hey, Weather Wizard's kid just exploded!"
"Hey, Kid Flashpulse turned into Kid Zoom and depowered Zoom, fuck you Kid Zoom!"
"Hey, we killed Kid Zoom, and Libra's still talking, fuck you again, Libra!"

Fin[/spoiler]

Rage of the Red Lanterns was awesome, Dex-Star (The kitten Red Lantern) is now the best (not to mention cutest) Lantern of any color, ever.
ImageImage
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

That new Joker graphic novel is brutally violent. I can't wait to read it to my daughter for bedtime. She's a big fan of Teen Titans, so she'll probably like Batman due to his relationship with Robin.

Better than the Killing Joke IMO.
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Are you talking about the Brian Azarello Joker? Yea it was pretty cool. Iono bout reading it to my daughter tho. They pretty much made the joker Heath Ledger, which is pretty cool as well.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

MournfulWoods wrote:I have never really ventured in DC superheroes comics. Would I be able to enjoy Final Crisis without having read past issues from involved characters ?
Well, you don't really need to, but it's a yes and no answer. Sometimes they explain who some characters are in the dialogue. You might be scratching your head wondering who Alpha Lanterns are, but I think they explain their role in a conversation amongst characters. I guess you could read up on the characters via wikipedia.
Femto wrote:The last two issues of Final Crisis have been kinda tame in my opinion.
Really? I thought it was great. While the storyline is very much like his JLA Rock of Ages arc, I like seeing my heroes being in complete shit and in the losing side. Especially since that doesn't happen very much in the DC universe. I thought the 'two month' gap was actually a fairly good idea (story wise and practical wise since Jones couldn't finish it on time), but it's too bad that DC couldn't take advantage of it and release the books on time.
The Prince wrote:That new Joker graphic novel is brutally violent. I can't wait to read it to my daughter for bedtime. She's a big fan of Teen Titans, so she'll probably like Batman due to his relationship with Robin.
I don't think it's a great idea, unless you want your daughter to be scared of clowns.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I didn't think the Azzarello Joker book was very good.

It offers some nice insight into who the Joker is but I felt like it didn't come together in the end.

It was worth purchasing for the artwork alone though.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

They made killer croc look like barracuda from the Ennis' punisher.

What do ya'll think of the new Deadpool series. I've been gettin some good laughs out of it. Daniel way is doing a great job if u ask me.

Also, who else is a little upset that they got Nova on earth for secret invasion, but have yet to utilize him in the main title. And where is sentry in all of this?
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Buzkashi wrote: Also, who else is a little upset that they got Nova on earth for secret invasion, but have yet to utilize him in the main title. And where is sentry in all of this?

They're saving Sentry up for special Deus Ex Machina moments that defy even comic book logic. I can just imagine how the meetings for World War Hulk went about the ending.

"So, if Hulk could pretty much beat everyone else in the MU in terms of strength already, and he's never been this angry before, who is gonna beat him?"
"...."
".........."
"... Sentry?"

He really is the perfect character for this kind of shit:
"If the Sentry has the power of a million exploding suns, why the FUCK isn't he doing anything?"
"He had a breakdown."
"Oh, how convenient for the enemy."

*LATER*

"We're doomed!"
"Oh look, it's the Sentry, and he finally got over his mental condition!"
"YAAAAAY!"
ImageImage
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

The Sentry is a horrible character, except for when he took Carnage into outer space and ripped him in half.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Yea, that scene was dope.

On another note, Old Man Logan is officially boring me. I mean, how much longer are we gonna have to wait to see some real Wolvy action. And I dont like the fact that their driving around in some tricked out spider-mobile.
MournfulWoods
This is my new home

Post by MournfulWoods »

Deadpool number 4 was a bit less good than the first 3 I think.

Sentry is cool when not linked to a main event, the mini-series was allright and in New Avengers the discovery of Sentry was a good story Arc.

I like the artist on Old Man Logan (who's name I don't remember for now) and while I don't really like Wolvie's new life, I quite enjoy is struggle to keep violence out of his life. I think in the long run it will be a satisfying story arc even if the issues doesn't take more than 5 minutes to read. (like the more recent issues of The Sword)
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

The problem with Sentry is that he's way too powerful. He could stop the invasion on his own with his power. Which is why he needs to be taken out of the equation. Which is why writers always have to use the unstable card to get him out of the picture...at least long enough for the story to progress. I don't think the Sentry is as bad as everything makes him out to be, but I wouldn't care if he was written off or killed.

I don't like Daniel Way's writing, but his Deadpool is pretty good. Of course, I like my Gail Simone Deadpool better, but Daniel Way's approach is quite interesting. I hated his Ghost Rider and Wolverine and Origins though. I feel like he's trying to be slick and smart, in a way that's like 100 bullets, but misses the mark. Speaking of 100 Bullets, I really have no idea what's going.

Old Man Logan's an interesting read and a new take on Wolverine, but is it good? I can't really say. It's interesting, that's all I have to say.

MournfulWoods
This is my new home

Post by MournfulWoods »

I'd really like if Sentry not only doubted himself and called it a breakdown, but really fucked shit up and was a threat to the marvel heroes. Have a REAL breakdown.

I'm waiting for Next Old Man Logan issue to know what happenned to him to have him changed. I hope the reason for his pacifism will be a good one or THEN the arc would be wasted.

What period of deadpool did Gail Simone write ? I only saw like.... the first 30 issues of the first serie and I picked up the whole Cable and Deadpool. I loved Cable and Deadpool and Deadpool vs marvel Universe. fabian did on great job on that run. After that I had to order Messiah Complex and I followed after that Xforce and I'm waiting for CAble vol1 HC. Xforce was....okay-ish. I don't like that much Cable but his whole ME vs The World from Cable and Deadpool through Messiah Complex and to his own serie is cool. If vol1 is Good I might follow the serie for a while. Gotta love Post Apocalyptic futures
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

MournfulWoods wrote:I'd really like if Sentry not only doubted himself and called it a breakdown, but really fucked shit up and was a threat to the marvel heroes. Have a REAL breakdown.
Space Siege Sentry?
MournfulWoods wrote:I'm waiting for Next Old Man Logan issue to know what happenned to him to have him changed. I hope the reason for his pacifism will be a good one or THEN the arc would be wasted.
I'm really not that interested, but the art, as you mentioned, is one of the best. McNiven is one of the best artists in the business. Where do Marvel find these guys? I don't know, I used to be a fan of Millar's, but the more I read his stuff, it kind of starts to wane a bit.
MournfulWoods wrote:What period of deadpool did Gail Simone write ? I only saw like.... the first 30 issues of the first serie and I picked up the whole Cable and Deadpool. I loved Cable and Deadpool and Deadpool vs marvel Universe. fabian did on great job on that run. After that I had to order Messiah Complex and I followed after that Xforce and I'm waiting for CAble vol1 HC. Xforce was....okay-ish. I don't like that much Cable but his whole ME vs The World from Cable and Deadpool through Messiah Complex and to his own serie is cool. If vol1 is Good I might follow the serie for a while. Gotta love Post Apocalyptic futures
Gail Simone wrote the last couple (I think 6 or so) issues of the first ongoing Deadpool series. She also wrote Agent X. It's also one of the first comics to ever make me laugh out loud. That, and Marvel Knights Punisher by Garth Ennis. Funniest stuff ever written.

The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Batman is dead?

Post by The Prince »

Who the hell does this Morrison guy think he is!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sh ... 982939.ece
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Eldo wrote:Speaking of 100 Bullets, I really have no idea what's going.
The shit is hitting the fan, that's what is going on.

It helps to re-read the series before starting this last story arc.

The book is rather complex and it's easy to miss stuff early on.

I can't believe it's really going end.

:(
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

So uh.... Secret Invasion is over. Anyone else check it yet??
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Bump**

I noticed alot of things wrong (3 actually) with the last issue of SI.

1. In one panel, they give Reed Richards what looks to be a females lower body. In the same panel, directly to the right of Reed Richards, Susan Storm looks to have the biggest ass ever. Very disproportionate and very sore to the eyes.

2. In one of the last pages where it shows what looks to be the new Illuminati(the cabal?), it looks to me that Namor(far left) has 2 eyebrows drawin in the space of one.

3. Third was just a typo in the afterward. THUNDERBOLTS (in all caps) was spelled THUNDEBOLTS.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Secret Invasion is a very entertaining ride, but ultimately amounted to nothing really. Was a good plan for an invasion? I don't think so, because it really only lasted about a day or so. A carefully hatched plan? Really, was it? Making the heroes paranoid, instead of stealth killing them Electra style? Despite it being a blockbuster movie in a way, there were a lot of things that didn't seem to make sense to me (which they justified by saying it's the skrull way, but it's still not very logical). All I have to say is that it is an entertaining read, but really, didn't think much of it overall. It's like sitting down watching an action movie with no plot. That's what it was. Secret Invasion was hyped up and it was underwhelming as a whole.

And Tony Stark being indicted? For what? Incompetence? I don't know, could you do that? And I thought that SHIELD was an international agency, but I guess not. So they're starting a new agency called HAMMER or something. Osborn is heading it, because he made the killing shot and smiled at cameras? And what's with Thor switching from 'thou' to 'you'? Loeb to JMS version? At the end of the day, we have to suspend all logic and remind ourselves it's only a comic.

Marvel has always used an 'event' to get to one point to another. House of M wasn't that great a read, but it got rid of mutants. One More Day got rid of the marriage (the story telling now is a lot better), and BND came. That said, Dark Reign looks interesting.