Nintendo DS

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

Femto wrote:I got a DS-Lite, bitches.

Someone tell me what games to buy.

I already have NSMB.
Pick up Dawn of Sorrow if you have not beaten it by now.

Sonic Rush, Tetris DS, Mario Kart DS, Advance Wars DS. That should keep ya busy for a while.
j.c.mellonhead
imanewbie

Post by j.c.mellonhead »

I can't believe no one mentioned Metroid Prime Hunters! Now THERE'S a game you definitely need. Be warned though, once you get it you'll find yourself out buying a wireless router or Nintendo wifi adapter, if you don't already have one or the other.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

What? Nobody uses their DS anymore?

I just wanted to say that I'm completely sold on the DS as of right now, dual-screen and all.

The dual-screen seemed like a waste that didn't add anything to the games until I played Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time. A great game little game, with some great dual-screen uses that wouldn't work on a regular setup. It's too bad that Nintendo is the only one that's really pushing their hardware (or so it seems to me at least), but that's always been the case I suppose.

Sucks that StarFox turned out the way it did (strategy/all-range mode nonsense), I'm not looking forward to playing that at all.

Will probably be buying Meteos next.

Bottom line:

DS kicks ass.

PSP, while a couple of gems here and there, does not.

My original post:
Femto wrote:After having spent some time with my DS, I have to admit that the touch screen is a good thing.

The controls in Animal Crossing are just completely intuitive. I still don't know which button does what because I never use them. It makes playing the game an absolute breeze. The only complaint is that my own hand covers the screen fairly often.

None of the other games I've spent time with use the touchscreen that well though, but now I'm very much looking forward to playing Zelda, which I believe has a similar, touch-screen-only setup.

Still not sold on the dual screens though.

The map in Dawn of Sorrow eases things a bit but it doesn't drastically change the game.

I'm really loving my DS though.

My commute is far too short.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Femto wrote:What? Nobody uses their DS anymore?
Part of it is that no new games have come out at all this summer, and nothing will (Unless you enjoy Harvest Moon) until September. I'm looking forward to getting Final Fantasy III and Techu DS. Right now I'm going for total completion in Castelvania DS.
ImageImage
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Tempest wrote:Right now I'm going for total completion in Castelvania DS.
I done that shit already.

I lived and breathed that game for weeks.

Good stuff.

I don't think it's as pick-up-and-play'able as SotN though.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

I have been playing Dawn of Sorrow again. There are a couple of weapons that I have yet to get. And a couple of monsters here and there that I have no idea what they drop.

Get Advance Wars DS Femto. One of the best on the DS for sure.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Yesterday I ordered a black DS Lite w/ carry case, earphones, screen protectors and New Super Mario Bros.

Then I ordered Faggy Lawyer Game 2.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

What is this thread doing at the bottom of the page?

I recently bought Kirby Squeak Squad and Portrait of Ruin.

Beat Kirby in like 3 days and am almost done with PoR.

Kirby was a shitload of fun but the little pink ball is just too powerful.

Unlimited flight, dozens of power-ups, takes a lot of damage, kills most enemies with one strike.

The game was a breeze and over a little too soon.

Portrait of Ruin is OK.

I like Dawn of Sorrow better.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Getting a DS for my Wife at Xmas, got her the bundle that comes with a case full of accessories and New Mario DS, also got her MarioKart, Driller Spirits, and Sonic Rush... I am pretty sure she will like it plus she can play all her old GBA games on it too :twisted:

But I am still staying strong with my PSP :twisted:
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

Do not rip on the Kirb Femto, Kirby is the man. I can't wait to play Squeak Squad, getting it for Christmas.

My bro likes portrait more than Dawn, what does Dawn have over Portrait?
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Ayanami wrote:My bro likes portrait more than Dawn, what does Dawn have over Portrait?
A better magic system?

Castlevania games need to stop the convoluted inventory bullshit.

There's like a million items and weapons and armors and most of them do the same things.

This really knocked down Portrait of Ruin in my book.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

I hear ya on that one. There could definitely be some reworking in that department on all Castlevanias really.

But yeah, the magic in Dawn was pretty shway if you ask me. I should be getting Portrait for Christmas as well, so I shall see what the deal is first hand.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Give me your friend code so we can trade some Moldy Bread when you do.

I accidentally used it and I need it to complete a quest.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Femtov2 wrote:Give me your friend code so we can trade some Moldy Bread when you do.

I accidentally used it and I need it to complete a quest.
I think Gargoyles drop that or something.

Or it was some other quest-vital item.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I checked GameFAQs and Moldy Bread can only be found in a room in the Forgotten Forest, I think.

The problem is that I used it because I didn't think I would need it.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Here is a trail membership offer from GameFly (USA Only Sorry) try it help me out with getting a DS please... this is not only for me, because when you are a member of Gamefly you get killer discounts on games that are Barley used and I love this service without them I would be in the dark about most games...they also offer a five dollar discount through Brightspot.TV once you have a paying membership... they also offer up to five games out at once so check it out http://friends.gamefly.com/r/86226a52e10d1029919d

I know this is probably spam but I really want a DS to compare to my PSP and for every person that signs up and gets to the paying member status I will Donate $5 to this Web site... and I will do it too if you dont think I will try me
hokiecsgrad
imanewbie

Wow, it sucks that everyone here is so wrong

Post by hokiecsgrad »

Femtov2 wrote:
Ayanami wrote:My bro likes portrait more than Dawn, what does Dawn have over Portrait?
A better magic system?

Castlevania games need to stop the convoluted inventory bullshit.

There's like a million items and weapons and armors and most of them do the same things.

This really knocked down Portrait of Ruin in my book.
PoR is 1000 times better than DoS. Yeah, the inventory can get pretty convoluted, but unlike DoS, PoR's inventory actually affects gameplay. For instance, you can get boots that speed you up, or weapons that do fire/ice/holy damage in addition to physical damage, or armor that regenerates health. In DoS, weapons and armor only affected stats.

Also, the graphics engine was enhanced for PoR and it actually has some pretty neat effects for an old school 2d side scroller.

And PoR has a quest system, which is totally rad.

And PoR is larger than DoS thanks to the portraits.

I can't think of anything that DoS does better than PoR.

By the way, I'm not really a conceited jerk, I just play one on psi's forums. I actually never would have bought a DS until I started reading about it here. Now I'm hooked. You all suck.
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

I have FF III and it just kicks all sorts of ass. The fact that it has a job system won me over. I LOVE the geomancer. Future games that I'm looking forward to are the new Zelda and Pokemon. The pokemon games will have wifi abilities so online trading and battles will be a reality!
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Femto
Devourer of Children

Re: Wow, it sucks that everyone here is so wrong

Post by Femto »

FFIII is alright.

It kinda sucks, because the job system in V is almost infinitely better.
hokiecsgrad wrote:PoR is 1000 times better than DoS. Yeah, the inventory can get pretty convoluted, but unlike DoS, PoR's inventory actually affects gameplay. For instance, you can get boots that speed you up, or weapons that do fire/ice/holy damage in addition to physical damage, or armor that regenerates health. In DoS, weapons and armor only affected stats.

Also, the graphics engine was enhanced for PoR and it actually has some pretty neat effects for an old school 2d side scroller.

And PoR has a quest system, which is totally rad.

And PoR is larger than DoS thanks to the portraits.

I can't think of anything that DoS does better than PoR.

By the way, I'm not really a conceited jerk, I just play one on psi's forums. I actually never would have bought a DS until I started reading about it here. Now I'm hooked. You all suck.
I'm pretty sure I started to reply to tihs post but then I said "fuck it, this guy doesn't know what he's talking about."
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

I have been playing PoR now that I have it. So far it is pretty damn shway and I like the increased difficulty. DoS was kind of a cake walk. I don't know if I like DoS or PoR more yet, I think the main problem with Portrait is that it does not have the wow factor that DoS had. Where did the awesome 4 levels of Paralax go?
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Femtov2 wrote:FFIII is alright.

Get out of my head.

I've only played it for a couple of hours, so I can't give a full report, but my experience so far was pretty much that in a nutshell. I mean, class swiching down times? Especially since I got through with a dungeon (The Nepto temple) that while small, practially forces you to switch all your classes to Mages.

And I'm not sure if I like the way they do MP in the game either. If I wnated to know how many times I could cast a lvl 2 spell in a given time frame, I would be playing Dungeons and Dragons.

I will say that it does look goregeous and even though they are just cutscenes, the intro almost made be blow a load with how good it looked.
ImageImage
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

Huh, I guess I should try some more FF games out then. Has anybody tried Elite Beat Agents out yet? I heard it's pretty good, but I also heard that Kentaro Miura suffered a heart attack.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

dialdfordesi wrote: Has anybody tried Elite Beat Agents out yet?
Get a Dreamcast and import Cool Cool Toon. Same deal just made of sex instead of dudes.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Tempest wrote: I will say that it does look goregeous and even though they are just cutscenes, the intro almost made be blow a load with how good it looked.
The intro is retarded.

It doesn't fit with the style of the game at all and serves no purpose other than the make FF retards crap in their pants.

I kinda liked the magic system, if only because it's different than every other game out there.

Not neccessarily better though.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

dialdfordesi wrote:

Huh, I guess I should try some more FF games out then. Has anybody tried Elite Beat Agents out yet? I heard it's pretty good, but I also heard that Kentaro Miura suffered a heart attack.
WTF!!?!!?! I hope you are refuring to the the fake email that was going around in spanish.

Anyway I have played a little of Kirby's Squeak Squad and its pretty cool like someone else said though Kirby is way to powerfull.