The one and only Xbox 360 thread

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

Are you going to get an Xbox 360?

Got mine at Launch
9%
Going to get one when demand is Lower
9%
Going to wait until a price drop
14%
Going to wait until PS3 comes out to compare the two
7%
Going to wait until Christmas 2006 and Get Both Xbox360 and PS3
5%
Laughing my ass off that the solution to the power supply overheating and causing crashes is to use a piece of string.
56%

Total votes: 43

Femto
Devourer of Children

Re: The one and only Xbox 360 thread

Post by Femto »

The downtime was apparently caused by the release of the Call of Duty 4 map packs.

This is the second time that Microsoft has been incapable of anticipating user demand.

They need to stop bullshitting and get their act together.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

MadDogMike wrote:I've never, ever had a problem with Xbox Live. In fact, I've only ever had extremely positive experiences with it. Best online gaming service I've used, although I still prefer being able to set up and find servers for free on PC games rather than using the Windows Live service, but I have no objections to paying for the Xbox 360 service.
Paying for online gaming (excluding MMOs) is like paying for sex. Absolutely unneccessary. :o
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

RROD.

*sigh*

Fuck you, Microsoft.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

On the bright side, yours seemed to last longer than some of my buddies 360s. (Didn't you get one at launch?) Then again some of them were wrapping them up in towels to try and speed up the process.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

It lasted for about 16 months.

And fuck me, Ikaruga comes out tomorrow and I had just purchased Shivering Isles.

Awesome.

And I'm not doing the towel trick.

It's too ghetto for me and it's only a temporary fix.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

Out of curiosity, did you ever master more of Ikaruga? Did you get rid of your Gamecube copy?

I still can't top your Level 1 chain if I remember right. Been working mostly on Raizing shooties.
MadDogMike
Mastered PM

Post by MadDogMike »

I got my Xbox 360 on launch day here in Australia. It hasn't given me the red ring of death, but my DVD drive gets stuck when I try to open it sometimes, occasionally the wireless network adapter stops working for no particular reason (acts as if it's not plugged in), and my two controllers don't power off correctly when I have the official rechargable battery packs plugged into them (a random light stays on, and they lose charge quicker than they should). All of those things are easy to fix and I can live with them, but my main gripe with the Xbox 360 is that the DVD drive is so LOUD when playing games. Has that been fixed with recent revisions?
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Ayanami wrote:Out of curiosity, did you ever master more of Ikaruga? Did you get rid of your Gamecube copy?

I still can't top your Level 1 chain if I remember right. Been working mostly on Raizing shooties.
No, not really.

That why I was looking forward to the XBLA release.

I was hoping it'd get me playing the game again, much like what happened with Rez HD.
MadDogMike wrote:my main gripe with the Xbox 360 is that the DVD drive is so LOUD when playing games. Has that been fixed with recent revisions?
Yes, the DVD drives in the newer models are much quieter.

I'm kinda hoping I get a new 360 instead of them just repairing my current one because of that (and a few other things) but then again, I'd have to deal with those stupid DRM issues if I did.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

I dont know if its been said before. But you should always have your xbox plugged in directly to a socket. If you have it in one of those multi-socket-power-whateverthefuck's you'll probably ruin your xbox. That being said my Microsoft gave my friend some sort of inter-cooler with his xbox after he sent it in to them. It never gets hot, even after hours of play.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Hey, Buzkashi.

Shut the fuck up, man.

Fer realz.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Femto wrote:RROD.

*sigh*

Fuck you, Microsoft.
Excuse me while I laugh my ass of playing my shiny PS3. :lol:
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Aetherfukz wrote:
Femto wrote:RROD.

*sigh*

Fuck you, Microsoft.
Excuse me while I laugh my ass of playing my shiny PS3. :lol:
Play what exactly?

Blu-Ray movies?

lol
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Amongst other things yes. At least my console can play disc that aren't obsolated.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

DVDs are not obsolete.

They've been the primary format for games and movies for over 5 years now.

Oh wait, you mean HD-DVD?

Sorry, I'm smart enough to know not to put money down on an optional (key word here) drive with a format that wasn't yet market proven.

So no, my 360 doesn't play any obsolete formats.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Blu-Ray is the de facto new Standard for High Rez movies. HD-DVD was beaten to a bloody pulp even if you don't believe it.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Aetherfukz wrote:Blu-Ray is the de facto new Standard for High Rez movies. HD-DVD was beaten to a bloody pulp even if you don't believe it.
WHOOSH!

That's my post going totally over your head, buddy.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Nope it's not. That's you not knowing your facts. Microsoft is NOT gonna give you the option (keyword here) to play blu-rays. They still say "if you want high definition playback, buy HD-DVD and suck it hard."

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/mi ... ive-298480
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Let me spell it out for you as simply as I can because you're obviously a person with very poor reading comprehension skills:

- I did not buy the optional HD-DVD drive.

- Thus, my Xbox 360 does not play the obsolete HD-DVD format.

The DVD is far from obsolete and that's the only disc format my Xbox 360 can play.

Did you get it now?

Or do I have to break it down into monosyllables?
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Well I'm not really interesting in any Xbox so I made the error of assuming that HD-DVD was the standard 360 drive.

So that means 360 games still come on normal DVDs with 9 gigs max volume? That's even more rediculous.

Oh and AFAIK know your Xbox doesn't play anything because it is RRODing. 8)
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Aetherfukz wrote:Oh and AFAIK know your Xbox doesn't play anything because it is RRODing. 8)
FUCK!

You got me there, cocksucker.

But yeah, Xbox 360 games' max capacity is 9GB on a dual-layer DVD.

I thought that would an issue myself but, like I've said before, if developers can fit games like Oblivion and Mass Effect (which looks and sounds amazing) on to a single disc then I doubt it's as big an issue as people make it out to be.

It's all about the compression technology.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Femto wrote:
Aetherfukz wrote:Oh and AFAIK know your Xbox doesn't play anything because it is RRODing. 8)
FUCK!

You got me there, cocksucker.
Haha, I think that's a first for me. 8)
Femto wrote: But yeah, Xbox 360 games' max capacity is 9GB on a dual-layer DVD.

I thought that would an issue myself but, like I've said before, if developers can fit games like Oblivion and Mass Effect (which looks and sounds amazing) on to a single disc then I doubt it's as big an issue as people make it out to be.

It's all about the compression technology.
While the stuff about compression is certainly true, Lost Odyssey ships on 4 discs right? And while the game has nice graphics it's not top-notch. I'd say sound/speech and FMVs (dunno if there are prerendered ones in the game) take up the most space.

But even with HD-DVD on the desmise I'd say Microsoft should have gone with a HD-DVD drive standard, because those fit at least 30 gigs instead of 9.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

At first, I also thought Microsoft should've fully backed HD-DVD instead of just offering it as an add-on but, in hindsight, I can see how it would've been a bad move not just because it would've jacked up the price on the console but because Blu-Ray would've probably won anyway and then I would've definitely been stuck with a dead format, which I wouldn't be too happy about.

Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon are both multiple discs but that's because Japanese developers haven't moved into the next gen and are still using FMVs for cutscenes.

Disc capacity will become a bigger issue later in the console's lifespan but it won't be that big an issue.

It's worked out pretty well so far and we're three years into the console's launch.
MadDogMike
Mastered PM

Post by MadDogMike »

Aetherfukz wrote:
MadDogMike wrote:I've never, ever had a problem with Xbox Live. In fact, I've only ever had extremely positive experiences with it. Best online gaming service I've used, although I still prefer being able to set up and find servers for free on PC games rather than using the Windows Live service, but I have no objections to paying for the Xbox 360 service.
Paying for online gaming (excluding MMOs) is like paying for sex. Absolutely unneccessary. :o
Paying AU$10 per month for a RapidShare account is unnecessary too, but it sure does make things a hell of a lot less complicated. That alone is worth the expense to me, same goes for Xbox Live.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Buzkashi has paid for cock on numerous occasions.

He also deems it absolutely unnecessary but he says it's all the same to him because he's ballin' anyway.

That's Buzkashi in a nutshell.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

I have femto's face tattooed on one of my balls ( which happens to be botox'ed"). The other ball shows a fist hitting femto in the face.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.