Coward?

All the news that's new and approved. We want your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

Moderator: EG Members

Killfile
Flexing spam muscles

Coward?

Post by Killfile »

When a poll was released into the field asking how people would vote if they heard that John McCain had an illegitimate black child, the country shrugged and figured that it was just the result of a hotly contested Republican Primary.

When the Swiftboaters attacked thrice wounded combat veteran John Kerry, accusing him of having been honored by his country under false pretenses despite the fact that not a single one of them were actually present during any of the contested events – the American public started to wonder if, maybe, there was a pattern.

A few days ago Rep. Jean Schmidt called Rep. John Murtha a coward. Just for clarification, I’ll briefly quote from Wikipedia concerning John P. Murtha’s military career.
Wikipedia wrote: He left Washington and Jefferson College in 1952 to join the Marines during the Korean War. There he earned the American Spirit Honor Medal. He rose through the ranks to become a drill instructor at Parris Island and was selected for Officer Candidate School at Quantico, Virginia. He then was assigned to the Second Marine Division, Camp Lejeune, North Carolina. In 1959, then Captain Murtha took command of the 34th Special Infantry Company, Marine Corps Reserves, in Johnstown. He remained in the Reserves after his discharge from active duty until he volunteered for service in Vietnam in 1966-67, receiving the Bronze Star with Combat "V", two Purple Hearts and the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry. He remained in the Reserves until his retirement as a colonel in 1990, receiving the Navy Distinguished Service Medal.
By any account, Rep Murtha is a righteous badass. His patriotism is above reproach. His courage is beyond question.

I’m not naive enough to buy what I’m being told from the sound bites coming off of Capitol Hill. A Representative in her first year doesn’t call out a 30 year veteran of the House of Representatives on the House floor because she thinks it will make a pleasant topic for conversation over the Thanksgiving break. Under the explicit instructions of her party’s president, however, things might be different. Murtha’s position change on the Iraq war headlined because of his military experience. If Schmidt didn’t know he was a Marine, she’s dumber than everyone thinks.
Carthago delenda est!

--Killfile @ [Nephandus.com]
ucrzymofo87
This is my new home

Post by ucrzymofo87 »

Once again you are only telling half of the story. Allow me to enlighten your closed mind to the facts:

What Congresswoman Schmidt actually said was, "A few minutes ago, I received a call from Colonel Danny Bopp, Ohio representative from the 88th district in the House of Representatives. He asked me to send Congress a message: "Stay the course." He also asked me to send Congressman Murtha a message that "cowards cut and run; Marines never do." Danny and the rest of America and the world want the assurance from this body that we will see this through." source

Her intention was not to accost Murtha, but to send the message to Congress that we have to finish the job in Iraq.
By any account, Rep Murtha is a righteous badass. His patriotism is above reproach.
Nobody is questioning his patriotism. In fact, President Bush and Vice President Cheney praised his military service calling him, ""a good man, a Marine, a patriot."
Murtha’s position change on the Iraq war headlined because of his military experience.
It's also interesting because he didn't even vote for his own resolution. FYI, his resolution called for the immediate withdrawl of American troops from Iraq. The resolution failed by 403-3 votes. Murtha's words are not backed up by his deeds. source
"Living for the future is more important than trying to avenge the past...i guess." -Puck
Killfile
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Killfile »

If you're going to quote an article - be sure to quote the jucy bits too
The same source you cite wrote: Danny Bubp, a freshman state representative who is a colonel in the Marine Corps Reserve, told The Enquirer that he never mentioned Rep. John Murtha, D-Pa., by name when talking with Schmidt, and he would never call a fellow Marine a coward.
Oh... and doesn't that also indicate that Rep Danny Bubp, ALSO thinks that Schmidt called him a coward?

I heard the clip on the air and I've read the text of the speech (which won't be in the conressional record because she broke the rules and refered to him by name) and I'd say it's pretty unambiguous.

"send a message to Congressman Murtha.... cowards cut and run; Marines never do."

The stretch you're making here would do Clinton proud.
Carthago delenda est!

panasonic
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by panasonic »

lol what u just did was like what phony praise for entertainment does. like for example a review might say "... it was far from spectacular." and the the ads say "....spectacular..."

btw, is the link for the article from the national enquirer or just the enquirer? i'm not very familiar with american newspapers
"Education is the foundation upon which you build your entire lust for cash"-Onizuka

http://www.striporama.com/edits/main.html
Killfile
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Killfile »

panasonic wrote:lol what u just did was like what phony praise for entertainment does. like for example a review might say "... it was far from spectacular." and the the ads say "....spectacular..."
I'd disagree with that assessment. Here's the congresswoman's phrases in their entirety.
He also asked me to send Congressman Murtha a message: That cowards cut and run, Marines never do.
I just took out her rather awkward phrasing really. The substance is still that the message was to Murtha and that the message was basicly "cowards run away and Marines don't." Given that the speech was in opposition to Murtha's suggestion that we withdraw from Iraq, it would seem clear that Murtha is being called a coward.

I did use elipses, but that's not to say that I'm distorting what was said - simply removing some of the redundancy that comes from speaking rather than writing a statement and clarifying the intent of the speaker.

Hope that helps.
Carthago delenda est!

panasonic

Post by panasonic »

i was actually talin bour ucrazymofo's post but w/e
"Education is the foundation upon which you build your entire lust for cash"-Onizuka

Killfile
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Killfile »

panasonic wrote:i was actually talin bour ucrazymofo's post but w/e
.................... and I suck. :oops:

Sorry about that. Specifiy who you're talking to next time so I don't make an ass of myself. :sweat:
Carthago delenda est!

panasonic

Post by panasonic »

lol my bad