Comment on the FAQ thread here.

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Dark_Zilo
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by Dark_Zilo »

but it's a good one to put in the FAQ
that agument was one of the best back in dp
The most beautiful thing in life is life itself
Get bitten by me
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Added an additional note to FAQ:

note 2: Do NOT contact people on the forum, either by email or IM about how to get any manga. It will be ignored. If you have any questions, post them in the forum, preferably in the "Help & Suggestions" section.
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

you should also add that they post questions like that in a sticky, to prevent additional threads that will be locked
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I just wanted to mention that the art in the Lost Chapter does seem better that the rest of the stuff in the Eclipse. It's hard to say because most of the stuff in the Lost Chapter is very abstract, and by the Eclipse, Miura had already improved tremendously and his art progresses slowly from there, but if I had to bet on it, I'd say the Lost Chapter was created afterwards. It kinda makes more sense that way anyway.
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

Femto wrote:Miura had already improved tremendously
yeh i think so too

but you want incredible artwork?

try tsutomu nihei :D :D :D
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Without getting too off-topic, is that the guy from Blame?
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Duh, I prefer Miura any day. Tsutomi Nihei has a fantastic vision, but the drawings themselves, the perspective, the action, the use of contrast are all better in berserk. (All IMHO of course.)

But let's not quarrel about this, especially not in this thread :).
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Femto wrote:I just wanted to mention that the art in the Lost Chapter does seem better that the rest of the stuff in the Eclipse. It's hard to say because most of the stuff in the Lost Chapter is very abstract, and by the Eclipse, Miura had already improved tremendously and his art progresses slowly from there, but if I had to bet on it, I'd say the Lost Chapter was created afterwards. It kinda makes more sense that way anyway.
Ah, I'm glad you agree with me. That should mean something too, coming from an artist. For those of you that are skeptical, look at the comparison in Griffith's hair alone. You'll notice that Miura started drawing his hair a bit differently after the eclipse. In the lost chapter, it seems to have that same feel. ;)

I also think Miura has Tsutomi-san beat. The guy is still bad ass though.
raziel
This is my new home

Post by raziel »

i like nihei cuz he makes the setting seem bleaker by using sharp contrasts. but with perspective and realism, then its miura.
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

anyway, FAQ = sweet

one suggestion is that make it stand out. that way, noobs will actually read it and decide not to make that "gutts can use the behelit" thread :D
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

with the FAQ up there, saying READ FIRST then ask questions... that basically means you all are free to rain terror on to people who ask questions are that are covered in the FAQ.

While the FAQ isn't as comprehensive yet, hopefully in new questions that come up... will go in there as well.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Well, just one question I thought would be appropriate. What is OD? I myself don't entirely grasp the concept.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

finally someone asked that question. i myself didn't wanna ask it :lol:
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

dos.azn wrote:finally someone asked that question. i myself didn't wanna ask it :lol:
hehe...same reason why I didn't start a new thread... :twisted:

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Od is probably similar to ki.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Straight from the horse's mouth, Oro the guy who translates Berserk has said that Od is just another way of saying chi/aura/ki.

It can be assumed that in Miura's world, that Od is the mystical 'force' that is used... this "Od" is also used by the Witches.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yep, that's what Od is all right. However, I don't think Oro translates the Berserk. Otherwise he wouldn't need to ask for translators so much. I heard once that a guy name Saiki, or something like, does it. I believe it's Oro that does all the editing and scanning, you see? He changes the text into English for us, and then scans it and stuff. See, I remember stuff.

*Smiles happily like a little kid who just said his ABC's*

Anyway, I'll definitely be keeping my eyes open for good questions to add to the FAQ. I don't think the Od one qualifies though. I thought that one was easy. If I see someone else ask about it though, I'll add it. ;)
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Starnum: Oro does do translations, but he prefers that someone else more fluent do berserk. Basically, HE REALLY likes berserk and flying beavers, so he makes sure top notch translators are on the job for berserk.

Everyone does confirm that OD is as stated above though.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Why not just put it in the FAQ? I guessed it was something like ki/chi/whatever by the way it was used, but it's always good to have some kind of confirmation.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

psi29a wrote:Starnum: Oro does do translations, but he prefers that someone else more fluent do berserk. Basically, HE REALLY likes berserk and flying beavers, so he makes sure top notch translators are on the job for berserk.

Everyone does confirm that OD is as stated above though.
I see. All I knew was that he didn't do Berserk. That's cool that he is semi-fluent in Japanese though.
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

Femto wrote:Why not just put it in the FAQ? I guessed it was something like ki/chi/whatever by the way it was used, but it's always good to have some kind of confirmation.
not really worth putting in the FAQ. besides people like me who didn't want to ask "wat is the od?" because we would sound stupid, others jus don't find it that important
isse-pisse-päron-pung
Beware my tactical spam

Post by isse-pisse-päron-pung »

Q: Is Griffith now evil?

Well, he is the ambassador of the Idea of Evil after all. There’s a good chance that he’s lost any real good alignment he ever had. However, the choice has been left up to him. So until we actually see what he does, one can only speculate.

My question is: Is Griffith really an ambassador? To me it seems more like Griffith is his own ruler. This "idea of evil" said "Be as you will, Do what you want" kind of. Doesn't that make him his own lord, "a ruler of darkness?"
~\\¨~¨ ;;-_x
Sura
imanewbie

Post by Sura »

isse-pisse-päron-pung wrote:Q: Is Griffith now evil?

Well, he is the ambassador of the Idea of Evil after all. There’s a good chance that he’s lost any real good alignment he ever had. However, the choice has been left up to him. So until we actually see what he does, one can only speculate.

My question is: Is Griffith really an ambassador? To me it seems more like Griffith is his own ruler. This "idea of evil" said "Be as you will, Do what you want" kind of. Doesn't that make him his own lord, "a ruler of darkness?"
Griffith belives he has a devine fate two rule the world. he did through evil means, or did the people who followed him willingly sacrifice theselves for his dream?
he never asked anyone to follow him accept guts who he needed to realise his dream. i dont think Griffith was evil. it was fate that lead him to his decisions. they were pre-ordained

"Never let a man imagine that he can pursue a good end by evil means, without sinning against his own soul" - Robert Southey
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

isse-pisse-päron-pung wrote:Q: Is Griffith now evil?

Well yes, you’re right. However, don't get to caught up on semantics. As you can see, I mention that the choice is left up to him. I just used the word ambassador because it was the closest thing I could think of to convey the meaning I wanted. In other words, he's The Idea of Evil's chosen one. ;)
Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

And all that leads up to one of my favorite stupid theories. That griffith will end up being the savior for midland, and being a good king, who brings peace and prosperity to the people. So Guts then comes along and kills him sending midland back into another dark ages, making him the bad guy. To me its an interesting possibility.