Comment on the FAQ thread here.

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Starnum
Elven King

Comment on the FAQ thread here.

Post by Starnum »

Okay, it's up, so let's hear it.
Evanidus
"Natural" Genius

Re: Comment on the FAQ thread here.

Post by Evanidus »

Starnum wrote:Okay, it's up, so let's hear it.
Let's see... here's my uninteresting annoying comments which doesn't even talk of the actual FAQ's content and that no one wants to hear...

1. Although posting in green is fine for you, I think the faq shouldn't be.

2. Having it as announcement rather than sticky kinda weirdens (now that's a wonderful word) the forums general style.

3. Leaving broken a link hoping that oro will give an alternative is futile I believe.

4. It doesn't mention flying beavers.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

1.) Yeah but, it's my style...*sigh* Okay... :P

2.) Hey, that one's on Psi. :P

3.) Oh, the interview with Miura. Here, I'll fix that.

4.) I think we'll live. No green text, no flying beavers. It's a compromise. :P
Evanidus
"Natural" Genius

Post by Evanidus »

Starnum wrote:2.) Hey, that one's on Psi. :P
I don't really mind eitherway though ;p Just felt that it shouldn't be. Same goes for the green text.

Don't feel obliged ;)
Starnum wrote:4.) I think we'll live. No green text, no flying beavers. It's a compromise. :P
*Sniff*

...alright.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

*Chuckles* Nah, I understand. It's all good.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

So is that a yay or a nay on the beavers?
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

I actually found an site where you can download the berserk volumes. It's an ed2k site, so I'm not sure if you could put that one, since this forum is mainly bittorent. But bah!

http://animereactor.ath.cx/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0

In one of the responses I found why vol 1-3 weren't translated.
Volumes 1 to 7 were originally done by someone else. The Hawks later re-did Volume 1, then 4 to 7. As such they -should- have everything except for 2 and 3 hosted. . . They might have stopped distributing volume 1 because Dark Horse Comics has released it, though
The Hawks stopped hosting the first three volumes at the very moment Dark Horse announced that they had licensed the manga. But at that moment Dark Horse had only licensed the first three volumes, so that's why only the first three were removed from BT. Through IRC or Emule you can still get all of them though.
From: http://animereactor.ath.cx/forum/viewto ... &start=120

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Well, I'd say that a spoiler warning would be nice, some answers in the FAQ could spoil things for people who haven't read the whole series, and we'd hate to do that right?

A spoiler warning might prevent n00bs from reading the FAQ though, so it might be a good idea to do a separate section with the storyline questions in it and put the spoiler warning there. Maybe also mention that no one should ask story-related questions if they aren't up to date with the manga. The FAQ is looking great otherwise.

Those are my two cents.
Evanidus
"Natural" Genius

Post by Evanidus »

Femto wrote:Well, I'd say that a spoiler warning would be nice, some answers in the FAQ could spoil things for people who haven't read the whole series, and we'd hate to do that right?
Agreed here, now that you mention it, that really needs to be done.
Evanidus
"Natural" Genius

Post by Evanidus »

Should prolly put some sort of disclaimer saying that this forum generally expects you to be up to date.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Evanidus: perhaps we should also add "Use the edit button, and use it often." *grin*
Mormegil
imanewbie

Post by Mormegil »

Nice Faq starnum.
Two things I want to comment on:
Q: What is the Lost Chapter?

Miura actually added a chapter to The Eclipse, some time after it had been released. This is the chapter in which Griffith meets with The Idea of Evil. He added this chapter, because he wanted to elaborate on The World of Berserk. He felt it would help to further explain the story. This chapter is now available by EG and The Hawks.

(Volume 13: Chapter 3.5 – God of the Abyss II)
The Lost Chapter was included in the young animal publication in 1996 but wasn't included in Berserk volume 13 which came out in 1997. It's strange that Miura would let it slide in the young animal magazine but took it out of the complete volume. I guess the lucky young animal subscribers were able to see it. I've heard that it was taken out just because it revealed too much info but that might just be speculation.

One other thing you can add to the FAQ is "What is the Berserk Prototype?"

Miura released this in 1988 to the publishers. It's just one chapter. The publishers liked it and thus Berserk was continued. It can be found at the end of Volume 14.

Guts has an eyepatch. He looks like a pirate. lol
Evanidus
"Natural" Genius

Post by Evanidus »

psi29a wrote:Evanidus: perhaps we should also add "Use the edit button, and use it often." *grin*
I love the edit button, it's my best friend.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

I've edited the FAQ, please review.
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

hey no "credits" or "special thanks to" part? i mean dos did a lot to help.....yeh......a lot.......
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

psi29a wrote:I've edited the FAQ, please review.
I'd say so.

As for the spoiler thing, I guess I can understand. Then again, I always thought that it was a given that if you were going to be reading and posting in a forum about a specific topic, that you'd be current on that subject. *Shrugs* I guess some people are just too stupid to understand that, or simply disagree. Oh well, whatever.

Oh yeah, and one other thing.

Mormegil wrote:The Lost Chapter was included in the young animal publication in 1996 but wasn't included in Berserk volume 13 which came out in 1997. It's strange that Miura would let it slide in the young animal magazine but took it out of the complete volume. I guess the lucky young animal subscribers were able to see it. I've heard that it was taken out just because it revealed too much info but that might just be speculation.
Now, I don’t mean to be cynical here, but um, we know this is fact…how? Did someone verify this before the FAQ was changed? I mean, that doesn’t make any sense. In fact, it made more sense the other way because the art quality looked higher in The Lost Chapter than in the rest of The Eclipse. That would indicate it was made at a later date. Also, why would it appear in Young Animal, but not be released in the volume? However, if it is true, and it may very well be, I’m just asking for a little proof.

Oh, and one last thing…bisexual…what the fuck….
Mormegil
imanewbie

Post by Mormegil »

Starnum wrote: Now, I don’t mean to be cynical here, but um, we know this is fact…how? Did someone verify this before the FAQ was changed? I mean, that doesn’t make any sense. In fact, it made more sense the other way because the art quality looked higher in The Lost Chapter than in the rest of The Eclipse. That would indicate it was made at a later date. Also, why would it appear in Young Animal, but not be released in the volume? However, if it is true, and it may very well be, I’m just asking for a little proof.

You didn't have to change that part in the FAQ. The only proof that I could offer would be to show the exact issue of Young Animal but I don't know anyone who has a subscription to Young Animal and would have that exact issue. It makes sense if you think about it though. Miura published it in Young Animal but then later decided not to include it in the volume. The reason was he felt that it revealed too much about Idea and he didn't want to do that yet. The art work looks the same to me. You should change it back though because I didn't offer any proof. I actually didn't expect the change. I thought the reason behind the lost chapter was well known. I got the info from skullknight.net a long time ago and they tend to know almost everything about Berserk. No, I'm not a member of skullknight.net.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Hm, well I didn’t change it…

Actually, it doesn’t make sense to me. Have you seen this release of YA from 1996, which included the lost chapter? It may or may not be true, but it still doesn’t make sense why Miura would change his mind and have it removed from the volume. It makes more sense that he’d have added it later. I know that I’ve done things like that with my own writing. Who knows though…not me. I was just going off of some information that Shisho gave me. So whatever really…I was just hoping to see some facts. Seeing as how none were given though, I do feel it should be changed back…Unless Psi knows something I don’t. Besides, it was him who said the burden of proof was on anyone wanting something to be changed, after all.

As for SK.net, bah…they call Locus, “Roch”…and spell Behelit wrong.
Mormegil
imanewbie

Post by Mormegil »

I don't agree with their "Beherit" spelling myself. I've always seen it as behelit. It's in the anime and everywhere in the manga. I really don't know why Miura did it. I wish I knew someone who had the actual release. I've read the scans of the Lost Chapter but that's it.
Sorry that it got changed. I honestly thought it wasn't going to be changed but I just wanted to know where you heard that about the Lost Chapter.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Well, I'm not that bothered by the fact that it was changed, but I had thought we had agreed that any changes needed to be proven first. Actually, the bi-sexual thing bugs me more, but I'll discuss that with Psi later. It's really not a big deal on either though, and it's subjective either way, so you know, whatever.

Anyway, I have a couple of the Dark Horse releases, and it is indeed, officially spelled, "Behelit". I don't know why SK.net hasn’t complied with this fact. Then again, it's really not that big of a deal since in romanized Japanese, L's and R's tend to be interchangeable, but whatever *shrugs*. What's important is how it's pronounced, and I'm pretty sure Miura intended it to be Behelit. Japanese people just have a bad habit of saying beherit, but that's just because of the way their language is structured. It's like the name Isidro. It's not a Japanese name, just as Serpico isn't. However, when they say it, it sounds like Ishidoro, because of their accents *shrugs*.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Starnum: I need an email account to message you about updates, i just got a bounce back this morning with the original and bounced FAQs. Feel free to yell and rant at me later tonight. You can even poke a voodoo doll with sticks.

Good that we are fleshing it out... I didn't ilke the "No, he isnt' gay" part at the beginning.We already had tha discussion on DP, he did have sexual relations with another man. So, at least bi-sexual and by choice mind you. If no one likes that part, then take it out... but I stronly dissagree to saying "No, he isn't." If you would like to go deeper, his choice in female companionship was dictated by his desire to get his plan in motion, so... all acts of sex on his behalf has been out of planning and not pleasure. So, in a metaphorical sense... he is asexual.

Nothing is static in the FAQ, but if there is still a lot of consternation on some parts of the FAQ then we need to either give two opposing views or limit how we talk about it. That is why we have this thread.

Edited again, please review. :D
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Ah, well I'm glad we got that straightened out. I like the way things look now. By the way, I think his rape of Casca was pure desire. Don't you think?
Dark_Zilo
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by Dark_Zilo »

i also think so Starnum
after seing her getting all affectionate with Guts, the one person who left him, he suddenly realised...

it's the old story that you don't know what you have till you lose it
The most beautiful thing in life is life itself
Get bitten by me
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Starnum wrote:Ah, well I'm glad we got that straightened out. I like the way things look now. By the way, I think his rape of Casca was pure desire. Don't you think?
I remember that 'Do you like Casca' thread back in DP where psi and ishidono argued if Casca was raped or if she consented. It was a huge debate, oh, how I missed that locked thread...

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

*grin* The objective is to find the truth, wether someone was right or wrong is irrelevant.