General Gaming News Thread

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Re: General Gaming News Thread

Post by Malvado »

MrFelony wrote:random, but did you know that a movie is in the works for devi starring jessica alba?
she can't act.
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

Malvado wrote:she can't act.
She doesn't have to.
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
blames them for his own mistakes." - Gene Roddenberry
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Fucking Ikaruga and fucking Rez in high definition?

With leaderboards?

Microsoft's little console is easily, hardware issues aside, the best platform in this generation at this point.

And Ninja Gaiden 2?

Fuckin' A.

Just give me that MGS4 port and I'll suck a 360's cock no questions asked.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I can appreciate your desire for a MGS4 port. It'll probably happen, I'm just glad I don't have to worry about it.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Femto wrote:Just give me that MGS4 port and I'll suck a 360's cock no questions asked.
This.

I decided a while ago to buy a PS3 in Japan (what's that? Less than half-price to the ridiculous sum I have to pay back home? yesplx) when I go there this spring, but I am having second, third, and fourth thoughts about it. Upon closer inspection, there's absolutely no PS3-exclusive title that I'm dying to play... except for MGS4.

Fucking MGS4.

Just port that shit already so I won't have to buy a PS3.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

You mean you don't think Warhawk is the best game alive?! J/K, but I'm seriously interested in Haze.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

New MGS4 video, does not disappoint:

http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/14845

The only reason why I still plan to buy the PS3 is for the upcoming games:

- MGS4!!!!!
- Yakuza 3 (and the possibility of Yakuza 2 making it to America)
- Kingdom Hearts 3
- Silent Hill 5
- God Of War 3
- GTA 4 (not exclusive, but it'll be there)
- Devil May Cry 4 (also not exclusive)
- Soul Calibur 4 (it's on the console, who cares if it's not exclusive)
- Final Fantasy XIII (though I have no idea what's up with all the different versions of FFXIII)
- Gran Turismo 5

So yeah, that means I'll probably get a PS3 till christmas at the earliest.

On other news, Manhunt 2 is still going to be released in America in spite of the European version being banned and cancelled. Word is that some of the gore is going to be reduced to achieve an R rating, so I don't know how different it'll be from the original. Luckily, there's a full beta version circulating the internet so the original version is somewhat preserved.

And lastly, "Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law" coming to the PS2. I have no idea if it'll be any good but I'm willing to check it out.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Man, it would take an extreme amount of skill and dedication to drive my interest in the Kingdom Hearts series into the ground.

It seems Square-Enix has that skill and dedication. Between the THREE DS, PSP, and mobile phone games basically all retreading old ground (none of them are actually KH3), fuck it.
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Yakuza 2 is coming to America just to tickle your fancy.
Tonbo
Mastered PM
Location: I am the one who lives in the darkness, and shatters it.

Post by Tonbo »

War Machine wrote: - Final Fantasy XIII (though I have no idea what's up with all the different versions of FFXIII)
FFXIII versus looks pretty sweet. I was confused too when I was reading about FF XIII and FF versus XIII versus and FF agito XIII and FF assmonkey XIII and not knowing if they were talking about the same game. All different games from different genres, just set in the same world. Pretty sweet, especially the last one. Probably won't make it over here though.
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Tonbo wrote:
War Machine wrote: - Final Fantasy XIII (though I have no idea what's up with all the different versions of FFXIII)
FFXIII versus looks pretty sweet. I was confused too when I was reading about FF XIII and FF versus XIII versus and FF agito XIII and FF assmonkey XIII and not knowing if they were talking about the same game. All different games from different genres, just set in the same world. Pretty sweet, especially the last one. Probably won't make it over here though.
That is a little wrong, they are not really different genres and they are not set in the same world.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

They're just whoring the Final Fantasy name as far as I know.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
dialdfordesi

Post by dialdfordesi »

Well, it looks like a Warhammer 40,000 game is slated for the Nintendo DS
http://www.gamespot.com/video/941429/61 ... ay-movie-1
Pretty cool trailer right there.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Hmm interesting. But when it comes to Warhammer 40k games, nothing beats Dawn of War, especially with the second addon.
dialdfordesi

Post by dialdfordesi »

I hear you on that, Aether.

Well it's finally happened. Sony's making a 40GB model of the ps3 and its price is 299 pounds. It won't have all the media card slots and it won't be backwards compatible, though. They are also reducing the price of the 60GB model to 349 pounds. The 60GB model will be a value pack and will come with two games.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

So many SKU's are a shitty idea. Taking out BC is a shitty idea. The price is nice though.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

I would still go for the expensive model.
dialdfordesi

Post by dialdfordesi »

War Machine wrote:I would still go for the expensive model.
Most definitely. Oh and it seems that the next iteration of Halo will be a collaboration between Peter Jackson and Bungie. Should be very interesting.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

In other news, Half-Life 2: Episode 2 really is all that.

This is the first Half-Life game that actually has me riveted to my seat. HL1 wasn't my style back in the day, and I haven't played it much since. HL2 was, to be perfectly honest, mostly about craptastically repetitive drawn-out sequences haphazardly stitched together punctuated by moments of awesome (often the two minutes or so preceeding the always infuriating LOADING). Episode 1 was, if not fun all of the time, at least interesting and mixed things up better than HL2.

And Episode 2 just blew my mind. I want to keep playing this game. Gone is the feeling of forcing myself through overlong romps through tight corridors and darkened hallways shooting headcrabs. I just shot a bunch of headcrabs and antlions in tight corridors and darkened hallways (and some nice open spaces, mind), but it seems Valve got the corridors and hallways just right for the first time ever.

They've also tweaked the UI and related settings a bit (the flashlight is now separate from Sprint and Oxygen and recharges fast as fuck), for the consoles I imagine.

And it's pretty. The flashlight casts dynamic shadows now, which is cool as fuck and no mistake. I spent the first ten minutes of the game just flicking the flashlight on and off at things.

The Vortigaunts have been given a much-needed face-lift due to their relative importance in Ep2. Their skin is conservatively, tastefully shaded- it looks organic, but Valve doesn't go overboard with the all-out water-slick shiny plastic look that was so common at the advent of the next-(current)gen. They've probably been remodeled as well.

And I'm pretty sure the Gman self-shadows.

I can't wait 'til tomorrow when I'll get in on some of that brand-new-vehicle-drivin' action.

Portal was pretty cool too. Ugly in comparison though.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Are any of those changes in Ep2 like the flashlight you just mentioned also part of HL2?

Edit: Oh, and is Lost Coast included in the package?
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

I have not played episode 2 yet, but just beat Portal.

Portal is amazing. It has one of the best boss fights in a game, ever.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

War Machine wrote:Are any of those changes in Ep2 like the flashlight you just mentioned also part of HL2?

Edit: Oh, and is Lost Coast included in the package?
I haven't really tried it out- it might, but Valve has never been keen on back-incorporating new Source features into HL2.

Lost Coast is as far as I know included in every HL2-ish package, but it's pretty crap anyway. You wouldn't be missing anything.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Congratulations Portal, you hold the distinct honor of being the first thing in over a decade, as well as the first video game ever, to give me motion sickness. I hope you're happy that I put my personal well being on the line just to watch you being played. Now where the fuck can I get some cake around here?
ImageImage
MadDogMike
Mastered PM

Post by MadDogMike »

The Unreal Tournament 3 Beta Demo is available. Get it. NOW.
dialdfordesi

Post by dialdfordesi »

They're remaking bionic commando, sweet.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!