Most overrated anime ever

The latest and greatest of Japanese Animation. Found something new, or perhaps old and arcane... if it has to do with anime, it goes right here.

Moderator: EG Members

mrJotaan
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by mrJotaan »

I actually skipped Scrapped Princess only because at the time I had too many series to watch and I deleted the one that I didn't get into as much. I probably should watch it soon though. I think to some degree, KGNE was overrated but if you watched the whole thing, that was such a hard thing for me to take in, just the plot of the story, I won't actually get into details really. It was like a soap opera because of the general story behind it. Has anyone watched cat soup? That is truly the most fucked up shit I've ever seen.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

mrJotaan wrote:Has anyone watched cat soup? That is truly the most fucked up shit I've ever seen.
Yeah...it was weird :shock: . I prefer Cat's Return.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Ishi-dono
Mastered PM

Post by Ishi-dono »

Kikaider = Shit

The whole thing was cheesy, with fugly robots and recycled ideas. The plot was bearable, at most, but the ending saved the series some face I guess. Not really that well known of a series, so it can't really be called overrated. (it was in Adultswim a bit back)
Choose your own destiny, no matter the cost.
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

Haha, I loved Cat Soup(Nekojiruso). Did you know that the creator committed suicide?

I have to agree on Scrapped Princess being under-rated, I really enjoyed the whole series. I also have to add Saikano, possibly one of my favorite animes of all time.
I would say Rahxephon is also under-rated. Everyone I know called it a Eva rip-off and dismissed it, but it was actually really good, and its a lot easier to understand than Eva.
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
blames them for his own mistakes." - Gene Roddenberry
mrJotaan

Post by mrJotaan »

Crayon Shin-Chan is actually quite underrated. I watched the recent movie and damn, that shit was hilarious. I never expected it to be that good, especially since the kid is like 5. Seeing 5 year olds drink oolong tea that has liquor in it and then start to talk like drunks, it was great.
Dufraine314
imanewbie

Post by Dufraine314 »

Scrapped Princess, Shaman King, Mahou Sensei Negima, Fushigy Yugi, Ninja Scroll (the tv serie, NOT the wonderful film), tenju tenge.. they are not so great.

And GITS is the best anime I ever seen.
EVA is good, but if you can, you should try to see the manga version. :D

And please, don´t bame to my two favorite anime: Dragon Ball, Kenshin and Record of Lodoss War. Ouhhhh. I say: my three favorite anime are Dragon Ball, Kenshin, Record of Lodoss War and Mazinger Z. Argggggg.

And last:
Shin-Chan is actually quite underrated
This is really something I didn´t expect. Most of my friends really love that fucked stupid child.
Everybody dies. Not everybody lives.

http://www.mundodvd.com/

http://antisgae.internautas.org/
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Bringing up Adult Swim Ishi. Pliot canidate was horrible.
Ishi-dono
Mastered PM

Post by Ishi-dono »

Malvado: The dub really pushed it over the edge for me, I agree.

Hajime no Ippo was under the radar for many, how sad...
Choose your own destiny, no matter the cost.
Dominion
This is my new home

Post by Dominion »

how come no ones witnessed Giant Robo? that is something you have to see ... its EPIC

NTHT, i saw that a while ago and i still have to pick it up on dvd... i wasnt even expecting the direction it was going in until it all happened... quite underrated to say the least.. it even fit the 13 episode slot perfectly... not too long and it tied up the loose ends

oh yea, im not nomad... i kinda got pissed at that too but then everyone forgot about it after a while so... whatever
besides.. nomad wasnt an asshole... he was retarded... as im lead to believe :P
Dominion
This is my new home

Post by Dominion »

Gaiseric wrote: I would say Rahxephon is also under-rated. Everyone I know called it a Eva rip-off and dismissed it, but it was actually really good, and its a lot easier to understand than Eva.
i think i would agree with you too, its on my "to buy" list as well... i found it to be similar to eva as well... but that was only in the ending ... even then it, there wasnt any real indication that it was trying to rip it off...

everything else (the plot, the charaters, the music, the entire feel of the anime), was, to me, completely new and i enjoyed it thoroughly.... id recommend :)
Trog
Mastered PM

Post by Trog »

How do you people recognize an under-rated anime??

I mean in the case of over-rated animes it's easy. You hear and read lots of hype for a certain anime, watch it and think it doesn't live up to the praise it got.

FLCL under-rated?? It's a well known classic. Not under-rated.
Scrapped Princess got lots of praise...

If you want to discuss under-rated anime you might want to check out sources like:

http://www.animenfo.com/statistic/top.php?l=anime
or
http://anidb.ath.cx/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=animelist

to see how other people rate the anime before posting.
mrJotaan

Post by mrJotaan »

It doesn't really matter how the people here are rating the anime. If you think a series like FLCL is underrated despite being really popular, it means that you think with all the hype it still doesn't do it justice.
Trog
Mastered PM

Post by Trog »

I agree that NTHT and FLCL are great.
mrJotaan wrote:It doesn't really matter how the people here are rating the anime. If you think a series like FLCL is underrated despite being really popular, it means that you think with all the hype it still doesn't do it justice.
So calling an anime underrated is just a roundabout way of saying "this anime is great/one of my favorites". Well, I can live with that.
It's just sad that this topic, which started with some real discussions (NGE, Gundam SEED), has turned into a "I like/dislike" thread that only highlights some people's personal anime preferences.
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

Trog wrote: So calling an anime underrated is just a roundabout way of saying "this anime is great/one of my favorites". Well, I can live with that.
It's just sad that this topic, which started with some real discussions (NGE, Gundam SEED), has turned into a "I like/dislike" thread that only highlights some people's personal anime preferences.
I thought thats what it was always about. The only reason we had discussions about NGE and Gundam was because someone disagreed with someone elses opinion.
Trog
Mastered PM

Re: Most overrated anime ever

Post by Trog »

You're right. This topic was all about saying "I (don't) like anime X "(I'm not referring to the actual X anime ).

That was not what I intended with this topic. By writing:
Trog wrote:Which anime do you think is overrated??Why??
I hoped to trigger some good discussions about older animes, that otherwise wouldn't find any attention in a new forum.
My thought was, for it to be percieved as overrated, an anime should have gotten lots of hype. Thus, if someone says this anime is overrated, there should be another poster who disagrees.
I also asked the posters to give their reasons for thinking the anime is overrated. That would have created a foundation for a discussion.

On the other hand I see that this topic also serves a purpose in its current form. I'm sorry for straying off topic.
Trog
Mastered PM

Post by Trog »

Back on topic:

X TV is completely overrated.
It tries to flesh out too many characters that are important for the story. Since it tries to give too much attention to each side character, you don't feel like you know anyone of them in the end. So based on the characters it should have been a 30+ eps anime.
On the other hand the story is rather simple and doesn't justify more than 13 episodes.
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Malvado wrote:Well i loved Eva and the endings full of nothingness, but this isnt' about Eva it's about other overrated things.

Record of Lodoss War must die!, .Hack//sign must get pissed on, Naruto anime is horrid, and Ruroni Kenshin is no where as important as people say. I could throw Dragon Ball Z out there too but I like Trunks before I could spell his name.
OK since it has turned into an topic about "i like, I dislike" let me tell you why I think they are overrated.

Record Of Lodoss War. I hear things like you aren't a fan of D&D until you seen this. Ok that's what's wrong, how can I be a fan of this anime if it's cliche ridden with typical characters. The story was bland and didn't impress like a regular 3 hour game of D&D.

.Hack//sign. All i hear is tsukasa this and tsukasa that. It's about a mmorpg that acts more like PSO then an actual mmo. The story was deep but offered none of what it should have gave. It's a mmo right? Where was the level ups and the gaining of skills(well they on equipment)? They were either sitting around trying to be friends or randomly swinging at monster they sure as hell can't hit. It's biggest draw for people was that is was connected to a manga and game. I also disliked the game but it had a great story that kept me playing but it's gameplay was horrid.

Naruto anime. I love the manga i won't lie, it's just like someone said before me; i don't remember the qoute though. But the art feels poor the fillers ruin character, and it doesn't desevre the more hype it gets then the way better manga which kinda slowed down after *SPOILER* DON'T READ THIS IF YOU DON'T WANT TO:
sasuke beat naruto and left to join orachimaruEND OF SPOILER. So it's over hyped basicly due to it's poor scenes. Also the fights aren't as cool as the manga.

Kenshin, well i shouldn't have read blade of the immortal. I know the last part after shishio doesn't count so I won't bring it up. Truely do you think kenshin had trouble fighting half does people? No.
Fight's were stringed out and uninteresting, my favorite though was against hajime saito. That lasted an episode and a half, not 6! It's story and characters were just thrown down with meaningless plot and battle that couldn't keep my attention. Well Shishio had the best plot in the whole thing which is sad for something with 95(96?) episodes.

And well Dragon Ball Z: You could just read what I typed about Kenshin. Long winded fights with the same story over and over. Some characters were of interest like trunks, cell, and fat buu(fav's in order) but all still land in the same plot of save the world from being blown up and well blowing it up.

After typing this makes me think that I am just complaining about dislike. That isn't really true, I like DBZ, Kenshin, NGE(which I'm too tired). They just were posted on the internet as "you must see!" but never made me feel great.
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

I just have to comment on a few things here.
Malvado wrote:Record Of Lodoss War. I hear things like you aren't a fan of D&D until you seen this. Ok that's what's wrong, how can I be a fan of this anime if it's cliche ridden with typical characters. The story was bland and didn't impress like a regular 3 hour game of D&D.
When did you first see Lodoss War? Because back when I saw it in 96 or so it was fairly new and I was just getting into anime. Lodoss war was a great gateway anime because it had elements that I was familiar with like the dragons and dwarves, basic D&D stuff. I think it was the same for a lot of people and people tend to get attached to their first animes.
Malvado wrote:.Hack//sign. All i hear is tsukasa this and tsukasa that. It's about a mmorpg that acts more like PSO then an actual mmo. The story was deep but offered none of what it should have gave. It's a mmo right? Where was the level ups and the gaining of skills(well they on equipment)? They were either sitting around trying to be friends or randomly swinging at monster they sure as hell can't hit. It's biggest draw for people was that is was connected to a manga and game. I also disliked the game but it had a great story that kept me playing but it's gameplay was horrid.
I actually liked .hack//sign. The music was great and the story was original. I wasn't a huge mmo player, but I have played a few and I liked the idea of an anime set in an mmo. Of course all you hear is tsukasa this ans tsukasa that, its about Tsukasa. Who wants to watch an anime about some characters that run around and level up? You can go watch your friend play Everquest if thats what you want. Or there are even live-feeds of mmos on the net that you can watch.
Theres nothing wrong with the characters just sitting around talking, making friends, or trying to help someone. People in real mmos get tired of levelling sometimes and they do just that.
I liked the series, but the ending was rather anti-climactic.
Malvado wrote:Naruto anime. I love the manga i won't lie, it's just like someone said before me; i don't remember the qoute though. But the art feels poor the fillers ruin character, and it doesn't desevre the more hype it gets then the way better manga which kinda slowed down after *SPOILER* DON'T READ THIS IF YOU DON'T WANT TO:
sasuke beat naruto and left to join orachimaruEND OF SPOILER. So it's over hyped basicly due to it's poor scenes. Also the fights aren't as cool as the manga.
I like both the manga and the anime. Yeah, reading the manga does take some of the excitement out of the anime, but its still cool seeing some of the fights in full-motion. My favorite fight was Gaara vs Rock Lee, that fight was freaking awesome to see in the anime even thought I knew what was going to happen. And I can understand why they did the filler episodes, since the anime(as slow-paced as it is) was quickly catching up to the manga. Plus, the fillers did help show that the leaf village was still strong after being attacked and losing their hokage and that they could still carry out missions. And they did help to lighten the mood, which you probably dont care about, but some people do.
And the manga has got to do something, the Kakashi backstory was nice, but I sure as hell dont want to see three years of training.
mrJotaan

Post by mrJotaan »

I agree with you on what's overrated and underrated and your definitions and that this has become what people like and dislike but I can't say that everyone is gonna stay true to that.
raziel
This is my new home

Post by raziel »

people will disagree, but i think cowboy bebop is overrated.

a bit episodic which i usually don't mind, but it gets boring sometimes reminds me of inuyasha episodes for some reason (i no, bad comparison).

ending was cool tho.
Trog
Mastered PM

Post by Trog »

raziel wrote:people will disagree, but i think cowboy bebop is overrated.

a bit episodic which i usually don't mind, but it gets boring sometimes reminds me of inuyasha episodes for some reason (i no, bad comparison).

ending was cool tho.
Really? Sure, most of the anime is episodic, but I always thought that each episode is a masterpiece in storytelling.

Is there a specific reason, why you think it gets boring? Why does it remind you of inuyasha?
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

raziel wrote:people will disagree, but i think cowboy bebop is overrated.

ending was cool tho.
I never really was able to get into bebop, and I really dont see what the big deal with eva is either...

NARUTO + BLEACH doesn't even come close to the BEST MANGA= ONE PIECE
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Damien: Many people including me dont get whats good Eva....

I bought the Record of Lodoss OVA DVD a couple months ago and i liked it very much,it doesnt matter how old and bad it looks if its good.

I read that Fist of the North Star is inspired by Mad Max so i gotta wonder if its any good?
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
mrJotaan

Post by mrJotaan »

I really want to get the Fist of the North Star anime, a lot of the jokes in GTO are inside jokes if you haven't watched/read it.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

#animeskyscraper @ irc.rizon.net'

You can find the anime there.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran