Most overrated anime ever

The latest and greatest of Japanese Animation. Found something new, or perhaps old and arcane... if it has to do with anime, it goes right here.

Moderator: EG Members

Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Malvado wrote:Well I put Lodoss up there because it couoldn't keep my interest at all. I like manga more then anime so of course I'm going to dog Naruto for not being as good as the manga, could do the same with hellsing anime compared to the manga.

I dislike Kenshin's character throughtout the series unless he was berserk. It's like I liked trigun but the main character's "i'm so happy" presentation pissed me off. I know they are hiding some bad history and what not but that "happy" emotion just upsets me.

And overrated doesn't mean I hate it, I believe Cowboy bebop is overrated but I still like it.

Its not fair comparing anime version of those shows to the manga version,since most mangas are always better most anime version. In the anime they censur,or cut something out or in hellsing case they dont even follow the story of the manga.
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Libaax wrote:
Its not fair comparing anime version of those shows to the manga version,since most mangas are always better most anime version. In the anime they censur,or cut something out or in hellsing case they dont even follow the story of the manga.
exactly but since the manga sticks in my head I cannot help but complain.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yes, I agree, and I think most people do as well; manga tends to be better than anime. That’s because it’s original. ;)

I do think the Hellsing anime was overrated. I found it to be lacking. It was mediocre at best, but that’s just my opinion.

Malvado: Other people’s happiness pisses you off? Hm, no offense, but that makes you sound depraved *shrugs*.

Eldo: How very interesting. I was not aware of the fact that Crystania was related to Lodoss War. Thank you for filling me in on this.
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Starnum wrote:

Malvado: Other people’s happiness pisses you off? Hm, no offense, but that makes you sound depraved *shrugs*.
Well i try not to say there happiness but it's just that they are "too happy" I can understand but when they "can't take anyway my smile" happy it pisses me off.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Hm, funny that; I’ve seen both Vash and Kenshin get their smile taken away. Why does that kind of attitude bother you so much anyway?
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Malvado wrote:
Starnum wrote:

Well i try not to say there happiness but it's just that they are "too happy" I can understand but when they "can't take anyway my smile" happy it pisses me off.
I think he probably meant that it's unrealistic :roll: You know, people living in a world of peace, when it's actually a dark world full of gore and sex. :roll: :? :shock: (how much emoticons should I use to imply I'm joking?)

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Malvado wrote:
Libaax wrote:
exactly but since the manga sticks in my head I cannot help but complain.
Yeah mine too

But then every anime is overrated cause there are not near the manga.
Trog
Mastered PM

Post by Trog »

Malvado wrote:Well I put Lodoss up there because it couoldn't keep my interest at all. I like manga more then anime so of course I'm going to dog Naruto for not being as good as the manga, could do the same with hellsing anime compared to the manga.
I'm impartial to wether Record of Lodoss War is good or not. It's really a matter of taste. I can see how some people might like it for being a typical D&D style high fantasy story. Others dislike it because it's one of the worst conglomerations of fantasy stereotypes ever. The plot is linear and the anime fails to surprise the audience.
Malvado wrote: It's like I liked trigun but the main character's "i'm so happy" presentation pissed me off. I know they are hiding some bad history and what not but that "happy" emotion just upsets me.
Like you yourself implied, Vash's "happiness" is a facade hiding his sorrow and melacholy. At least that's what's suggested in the scenes where he loses his smile. Starnum is right, Vash's smile gets taken away in several scenes (,especially the scene when Legato forces Vash to kill comes to mind).
Malvado wrote: And overrated doesn't mean I hate it, I believe Cowboy bebop is overrated but I still like it.
You're wrong.
Cowboy Bebop is underrated no matter how much praise it gets.
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

Most over-rated anime for me would be either Inuyasha or Kenshin. For a while it seemed like everyone was watching both of those series and just raving about them. I cant say that they are bad since I really didnt give eaither of them a chance, I watched the first few episodes and they just didnt impress me. I think Gundam is over-rated too.

Most under-rated anime would be Now and Then, Here and There. I had never heard anything about it and I picked it up one day and loved it. The animation is dated, but the issues the characters deal with throught the series are very real. Its actually quite depressing.

I loved it, but I think Evangelion is a bit over-rated. The reason I think it is over-rated is because it was quite revolutionary at the time, I know I had never seen anything like it. It sucked me right in and held me to the end.

I dont know why people bash DBZ so much. I think everyone watched it and enjoyed it at one time or another. I did, I watched it religiously up until the end of the Freeza saga, then I moved onto other things. Why do people change their opinion about something when it becomes popular? Why are you afraid to be like everyone else? Its popular for a reason, its entertaining. Sure, the fights go on forever and the whole story is rather shallow, but it was made for young boys and they eat that shit up. Same with Naruto, I dont care if everyone and their dog loves it, I am still going to watch it because I like it.

My entry anime was Tenchi Universe.

And I am getting tired of the old manga vs anime. I dont think you can really compare them, they have different restrictions. But its as bad as sub vs dub. We know subbed is better. We know the manga is better. Do we have to say it about everything?
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
blames them for his own mistakes." - Gene Roddenberry
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Gaiseric wrote:Most over-rated anime for me would be either Inuyasha or Kenshin. For a while it seemed like everyone was watching both of those series and just raving about them. I cant say that they are bad since I really didnt give eaither of them a chance, I watched the first few episodes and they just didnt impress me.
Well, in that case, no offense or anything, but um, SHUT THE FUCK UP THEN! You can say whatever you want about Inuyasha, but Kenshin is one of the best animes ever!

If Trog can say that Cowboy Bebop is underrated no matter how much praise it gets, then that goes double for Kenshin.

Gaiseric wrote:I think Gundam is over-rated too.
Blaaaaargh! *Wallows around on the floor* I think that statement actually dealt me physical damage. How much Gundam have you even seen man? That's the anime equivalent of saying, "Yeah, I think Shakespeare is over-rated too." Did you know that Tomino-san was the father of real robot series! He was one of the disciples of the guy who freakin invented anime!
Gaiseric wrote:I loved it, but I think Evangelion is a bit over-rated. The reason I think it is over-rated is because it was quite revolutionary at the time, I know I had never seen anything like it. It sucked me right in and held me to the end.
What the fuck dude? That doesn't even make sense. That's why it's NOT over-rated. *Shakes his head in disbelief*
Gaiseric wrote:I dont know why people bash DBZ so much. I think everyone watched it and enjoyed it at one time or another. I did, I watched it religiously up until the end of the Freeza saga, then I moved onto other things. Why do people change their opinion about something when it becomes popular?
See, now you're contradicting yourself. You've basically all ready said, "Yeah, I use to really like Eva, but now I think it's over-rated." Sounds like you’re prone to changing your mind as well.

Geez, I hate this thread. I think I'm going to just come in here and practice the skills I've learned from studying Shisho. By the way, anyone who knows his style...How's my emulation?

P.S.

Don't take it personal Gaiseric. Just try actually considering what you're talking about from now on, and this won't happen. Now please stop degrading the good name of Gaiseric and move on.
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

I know, I really should watch all of Inuyasha and Kenshin before I pass judgement.

I have seen Gundam 0079, 0080, and Gundam Wing. They arent bad, just not my thing, I guess.

And I never contradicted myself. I said I liked Eva and I still do, I just think it gets way more hype than it deserves.
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
blames them for his own mistakes." - Gene Roddenberry
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Gaiseric wrote:I know, I really should watch all of Inuyasha and Kenshin before I pass judgement.
That's good. I think it's nice that you can admit that. *Nods*

Hm, I think Eva deserves the hype...but if that's your opinion, then I'll respect that. I just think it's weird that you think that way, when you yourself admitted that it was revolutionary, and completely captivating. Oh well, whatever *shrugs*

As for the Gundam, you need to see Zeta and V Gundam. They are super badass. Then again, they may not be your thing either. That's what gets me though. Just because something "isn't your thing", doesn't mean it's over-rated. Shouldn't it be based off of quality...not preference. Seems like a lot of people forget about that. Tomino-san is a genius. He didn't write Wing, but I thought it was good too. Not as good as First Gundam of course, but still good.

By the way, I've got to give you props for handling my little rant so maturely. I can be a prick at times, but seeing responses like that really earn respect with me. ;)

Anyway, don't worry about me. I'm just a nerd who cares about this shit too much. However, I usually have at least a good point or two...or at least I think I do. *Scratches his head*
Last edited by Starnum on Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Each Gundam series are hauntingly familiar to each other....there's a new Gundam model, but adults can't use it, only kids can. That's basically the plot overview. I grew up playing with Gundam, and I don't really watch it for the story, I watch it for the Gundam. The series I enjoyed the most was Zeta, and I own the HG Gundam Z model. I wanted to get the 'bigger supreme version', which is more detailed and it's about 30 cm high too! 8)

I hated F-91 the most of all Gundam series. And I watched it dubbed as well :shock: . The recent Gundam Seed Destiny has been a disappointment to me, mainly because the Gundam looks the same as before....

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Eldo wrote:Each Gundam series are hauntingly familiar to each other....there's a new Gundam model, but adults can't use it, only kids can. That's basically the plot overview. I grew up playing with Gundam, and I don't really watch it for the story, I watch it for the Gundam. The series I enjoyed the most was Zeta, and I own the HG Gundam Z model. I wanted to get the 'bigger supreme version', which is more detailed and it's about 30 cm high too! 8)

I hated F-91 the most of all Gundam series. And I watched it dubbed as well :shock: . The recent Gundam Seed Destiny has been a disappointment to me, mainly because the Gundam looks the same as before....
Dude, what are you talking about? The U.C. Gundam is really just one huge plot anyway, so of course it’s going to be similar to itself! Besides, what the fuck do you mean adults can’t use it. You must be thinking of Eva or something. There is no age requirement to pilot a Gundam. It’s just a coincidence that teens tend to end up in them. Besides, you see lots of adults in the other mobile suits. Oh yeah, Amuro grows up, and he still pilots Gundam. Plus, the pilot of Gundam Alex in 0080: War in the Pocket, was an adult. Also, the U.C. Gundam tends to be deep plotted war stories. If you’re not watching it for the plot, then that must be why you’re missing the plot. Believe me, it’s there, and it’s good.

Hm, I haven’t seen F-91, so I can’t comment about that one. I haven’t seen either of the seed series either. However, they’re also not written by Tomino. So it doesn’t surprise me if they’re not very good, which I heard they’re not. From what I heard, it was more about appearance with that series than plot.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Starnum wrote:
Eldo wrote:Each Gundam series are hauntingly familiar to each other....there's a new Gundam model, but adults can't use it, only kids can. That's basically the plot overview. I grew up playing with Gundam, and I don't really watch it for the story, I watch it for the Gundam. The series I enjoyed the most was Zeta, and I own the HG Gundam Z model. I wanted to get the 'bigger supreme version', which is more detailed and it's about 30 cm high too! 8)

Dude, what are you talking about? The U.C. Gundam is really just one huge plot, so of course it’s going to be similar to itself! Besides, what the fuck do you mean adults can’t use it. You must be thinking of Eva or something. There is no age requirement to pilot a Gundam. It’s just a coincidence that teens tend to end up in them. Besides, you see lots of adults in the other Mobile Suits. Also, the U.C. Gundam tends to be deep plotted war stories. If you’re not watching it for the plot, then that must be why you’re missing the plot. Believe me, it’s there, and it’s good.
Of course adults can use the mobile suits. You misunderstood me. I'm saying that everytime there's a new Gundam in 'experimental stage' the main character turns out to be a kid who pilots it, and does a better job than a adult would. There are mass produced Gundams, GMs, and other MAs and naturally they are piloted by adults. Of course, there are exceptions to the rule, like Stardust Memory, and Gato who steals the experimental unit....and Kou chases after his arse....There's nothing wrong with the lead being a kid, I actually like it that way....

I own nearly all Gundam series, as well as models, comics, games and the whole works. There are a few series I haven't seen, but I'll get onto it...yeah...later....Of course, the main focus in the series is the plot, otherwise I'll be asleep on the couch. (which happened to me in F-91, wasn't too bad of a story tho) It's just the Gundams are added bonus, and I reserve my judgement till the end of the series. It just gives my more satisfaction and enjoyment to the story, instead of thinking that I should 'finish this as soon as possible'. I'm disappointed in Destiny, but I'm watching it nevertheless. Downloading ep 15 right now....

Dominion
This is my new home

Post by Dominion »

mrJotaan wrote:The thing about Dragonball is that people come along and see a groundbreaking anime and everyone jumps on the bandwagon. The same thing happened with Naruto, I actually preferred it when it wasn't well known. It was only natural for the same thing to happen with Naruto when Kishimoto said that his main influence was Dragonball. An old joke but still applies to both Dragonball and Naruto: How many dbz characters does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Just one but it takes about 15 episodes to do so.

By the way, on a somewhat related topic, what's the most underrated anime series you can think of?
to stop doing something just because everyone else is doing it is the biggest sellout of them all

underrated anime? : Giant Robo
overrated? : Gundam SEED
mrJotaan
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by mrJotaan »

Dominion wrote:to stop doing something just because everyone else is doing it is the biggest sellout of them all
I really have no clue what you're talking about. You quote me on something I said a while back and it's rather vague to what you're talking about since it could be taken in different ways.
Dominion
This is my new home

Post by Dominion »

ill spell it out
mrJotaan wrote: The same thing happened with Naruto, I actually preferred it when it wasn't well known.
im guessing you dont prefer it now because everyones jumped on the bandwagon, per se... am i right or was that a typo

besides, i was using you as an example... just because you like something doesnt mean no one is allowed to like it... if you like it, like it... thats all im trying to say
mrJotaan

Post by mrJotaan »

Dominion wrote:ill spell it out
Hey jerkoff, you could've been talking about different things, I just wanted to make sure what you were talking about. Don't treat me like I'm ignorant here, if you're gonna just start posting and be an ass, you might as well not post.

Also, your assumption is completely off the mark, I don't watch Naruto anymore because it got boring, I got tired of fillers. Sure every anime that goes on that long has fillers but for example One Piece, I still enjoy their fillers because Luffy is hilarious.

Edit: I'm being cruel because well, you're a noob to the forum and you're being an ass for no reason. If you read what you said, it's quite ambiguous, hence my question as to what you were talking about.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

mrJotaan wrote:
Dominion wrote:to stop doing something just because everyone else is doing it is the biggest sellout of them all
I really have no clue what you're talking about. You quote me on something I said a while back and it's rather vague to what you're talking about since it could be taken in different ways.
I didn't have a clue what he was talking about either. :wink:

I think he's trying to say just because it became mainstream doesn't mean you have to hate it. But he didn't really give valid points in his argument, so it's reasonable you give him the slip, sir. And he was being cocky as well, I hate that. :roll: :twisted:
Edit: I'm being cruel because well, you're a noob to the forum and you're being an ass for no reason. If you read what you said, it's quite ambiguous, hence my question as to what you were talking about.
Well, he's not new...he used to hang around in DP after the 'death' of the 'Legend' (for the wrong reasons) Forsaken Nomad. He registered around the same time too. There has been some (rather unproven) suggestions that reveal Dominion might be linked to or is Forsaken Nomad. (One particular example is where he said "let's give Nomad another chance!") I didn't get what he was saying either, I used various interpreting tools in an attempt to understand his meaning.

raziel
This is my new home

Post by raziel »

What i also like is that from whatever gundam series i've seen, it always starts out with a some people highlighting some new prototype of a mobile suit. I still love gundam tho. On another note, i have some of the models from GW. anyone else have mobile suit models? Yeah, i no, i changed the direction of this thread.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Mr.Jotaan: Im sick and tired of people telling other people not to post, LET THEM POST, I want to see arguements get bigger damn it. I dont want it to get all stale in here because theres no arguements and everyone is just flat. I want substance..

Starnum: Nice, Not at shishos level, but who is? Nah i laughed a good one on that it was entertaining.

P.S : Even in dominion is Forsaken Nomad, I dont care. I think the hardest I ever laughed in DP was when I read the 0makes about Nomad. If he was to come back i would be happy.

.....But who gives two shits about what I say right?
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
mrJotaan

Post by mrJotaan »

You may want it that way but I don't particularly want to get into arguments, mainly because if I do, I'll tear into the person and regret it. My point was, if he was going to be an asshat because he couldn't be more specific then he's going to be an asshat all the time. I don't think it's really all that dull around here, I just don't think it's good to promote people tearing into each other because then it becomes...well another forum that I once frequented.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

raziel wrote:What i also like is that from whatever gundam series i've seen, it always starts out with a some people highlighting some new prototype of a mobile suit. I still love gundam tho. On another note, i have some of the models from GW. anyone else have mobile suit models? Yeah, i no, i changed the direction of this thread.
I recall several Gundam series that doesn't start that way. I recall in Zeta the lead character piloted the MK II unit first and later piloting the Zeta Unit (too long ago, so can't remember the exact details). But, yeah, most Gundam series start that way, and it's coincidental that it's teens that end up piloting it. It's a good formula, since we get introduced to the new model, and better character development from the teen. It does get a bit tiring but who cares...

I own lots of those models: GP03, MK-II, RX, Jupiter Mass Produced GM, Zeta, Double Zeta, G-Gundam, Most Wing models, and loads more. I started out with SD Gundams, and switched with the big guns....

I thought another overrated was Nadesico, I enjoyed it very much since it had logical points and their theories actually sounds sensible. But it didn't deserve to be no.1 anime of the year (from a survey in a magazine). That's just my opinion.

Ishi-dono
Mastered PM

Post by Ishi-dono »

I just flipped through the pages and I actually read some one thought Kenshin was overrated. Gawd, :x! Please specify the last installment of the TV series when talking about ANY problems with Kenshin! (which was good anyways, in my opinion) [/rant]

Overrated: Kiminozo, (KNGE), Kimi no something Eien - Whatever you want to call it, it was just like a damn soap opera (novela), crap.

I watched Neon Genesis when I was 10 or 11, so it was overrated to me back then cause I didn't get the ending. The original ending mostly, especially with the clapping... (Watched it again and it was awesome!)

Underrated: I second Now and Then, Here and There (the most undrated series EVER!). Also - Scrapped Princess (I have no clue how so many ppl skipped this), Slam Dunk (guess it's a bit too old school for some), Captain Tsubasa (seems most Americans don't like futbol), GTO (was it hyped? don't really know), Last Exile (same as Scrapped Princess), Kare Kano (best love story, if only it had been finished...), FLCL (cranial overload :D).

I generally enjoy most of the stuff I watch, but I'm selective when picking what to watch. Still, flowing motion and sound are not overated in my opinion, so all those manga-is-way-better comments don't really seem true, oh well. :?
Choose your own destiny, no matter the cost.