Most overrated anime ever

The latest and greatest of Japanese Animation. Found something new, or perhaps old and arcane... if it has to do with anime, it goes right here.

Moderator: EG Members

JangSaverem
imanewbie

Post by JangSaverem »

Who said Evangelion is over rated....hmmm hmmm. Evangelion isnt over rated its just good. TO bad its one of those animes you love or you hate no really in betweens. Plus an Eva can beat down any Gundam.... >.><.<
Pergatory
Mastered PM

Post by Pergatory »

I dont thin EVA is that bad, i enjoyed it, but there are part to it that i think they could have explained more. then again maybe they dd and i just cant remember its been so long since i watched it. like i would have liked it if they talked more about the background of the evas but what can u do
The Sea At Night Time Makes Me Shiver...If You Stare At It...It Feelis Like You'll Get Swallowed...Into The Depth Of This Dark Wave... Image
vermillion
imanewbie

Post by vermillion »

The point from the ones saying that Eva is overrated is not that it is a bad anime, but, how can I say it, it's like a very good anime which someones consider excellent. That way it is overrated, but it doesn't mean that it is bad (personally I don't think that way).
Else there are invited guests, there is no party
Shisho
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by Shisho »

Got to page 2 and saw the mindless fellating of Evangelion and jumped to reply. (Yeah that was Starnum) You know I was thinking the series was deep at first (first good half of the series), because of the personality disorders the characters seemed to display. The subtle hints to some grand design of character development and deep inner workings of the human mind.

Then it lost touch with its whole plot line and character direction and just didn't know how to tie it all together so you got this big cluster fuck ending that was "Blah, you guys make up an ending, thanks for coming out."

Then because there was no real definition it's supposed to be like some kind of masterpiece or cherished piece of artwork. I got the impression that the creator of the series didn’t have any conclusion for it, and they even said in some interviews that it was a rushed project that’s why the crappy initial ending. (Good animation in the movie that retells the 25/26, because they had a budget left that time around) They had to make do, and they were already so revered for their original “masterpiece” they were probably too afraid to blow it. So we’re left with some kind of ending where some abstractionist viewer gathers around in awe (around the bombardment of random western symbolism. ANGELS = CROSSES!!) like that was it's whole design and it was brilliant from start to finish.

It was a facade of a strong ending. It was weak. Overrated, I agree completely. People read too much into it, and its hype is totally self-driven by people’s imagination and denial in the fact that a series they loved turned to shit. Just like people today will refuse to believe the new Star Wars movies suck.
Volyund
imanewbie

Post by Volyund »

This is the Top 10 Best Rated Anime According to Anime News Networks.
Cowboy Bebop is up there with Samurai X and Grave of the Fireflies... and since I just finished watching it, I can say that rating it that high is... it's just overrated.
What's SO good about it to place it above Princess Mononoke, Totoro and Fullmetal Alchemist?
Cowboy Bebop is very good, no doubt about it. But it's not THAT good.
Wakizashi - Japanese Short Sword worn only by Samurai next to katana.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Full Metal Alchemist, Cowboy Bebop and Mononokehime, now those are overrated. In the order of least overrated first.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
RedEyes
n00b Smasher

Post by RedEyes »

FMA, Mononoke Hime and Evangelion are overrated, BUT I don't think that Cowboy Bebop is overrated at all.

Being a good anime does not necessarily mean that there has to be a grand plot/story connecting each and every episode, if this is the thing you find lacking in Bebop.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Bebop is just... boring, most of the time. Maybe I just didn't like its style. There was just absolutely nothing new in it...

The sub-arcs were not interesting, and the main plotline was never interesting. The ending sucked.
Shisho
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by Shisho »

Cowboy Bebop, good? Yes. Overrated? Yes.
Volyund
imanewbie

Post by Volyund »

I don't think that Princess Mononoke is overrated.
It is not THE best Miyazaki's movie, but it is one of the best.
It's actually sad that his other movies are not really known outside of Japan.

On that note, underrated animes, Miyazaki's:
"Laputa, Castle in the Sky"
"Porco Rosso"
"Kiki's delivery Service"
"Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind."
(did I forget anything?)
Wakizashi - Japanese Short Sword worn only by Samurai next to katana.
akari
Found the Edit button

Post by akari »

Why everybody forgets here about Vandread?
It was like totally overrated!! It is perfect example of how a good idea can be totally f... up. The same with hack sign thing whatever it was called.

btw Inuyasha is a perfect example of why people don't like popular anime series. Very good story is ruined when (because of popularity) they make too many eps and story doesn't end although it should!

..........!!
nihil
imanewbie

Post by nihil »

ehhh... Cowboy Bebop overrated.. and sucks..?? ... LOL...
i think its a great anime. and it IS interresting...

the boring animes IMHO are X - The Movie and
Jin-Roh, The Wolf Brigade. well these really suck ... IMHO
luciferian
Mastered PM

Post by luciferian »

Heh... You guys must be high on something... thinking eva is a overrated show That show is probably one of my favorites.

But the shows that I think are overrated are the following:
Inuyasha, to many damn filler episodes and they never finished the damn series!!!
Cowboy Bebop, very good, but the same, filler episodes killed it
Naruto, one of my favorites, but its just way to damn popular for being this kinda show... its also to to.. long...
last
Full Metal Alchemist, never could get into it never will.. it sucked to me for some odd reason. I keep hearing good things, but I never liked it.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

heh it seems this thread is overrated :P. everyone has their tastes and people are gonna agree or not. though im gonna agree about jin-roh being REALLY boring :D.
Necromancer
Dirty Sennin

Post by Necromancer »

I liked Jin-Roh but yeah it's a little bit boring.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

LordMune wrote:Bebop is just... boring, most of the time. Maybe I just didn't like its style. There was just absolutely nothing new in it...

The sub-arcs were not interesting, and the main plotline was never interesting. The ending sucked.
*mwuahs *mwuahs *mwuahs

i love you!!!

but i disagree about the main plot and the ending. i thought those were terrific, its jus the subarcs were really boring

the movie is outstanding though :D
Iemander
imanewbie

Post by Iemander »

Trog wrote:
mrJotaan wrote:Trog, I can understand where you're coming from. I know that when endings aren't the way you hoped them to be, it can ruin the show for you. As an example, when Seinfeld ended the way I did, I felt like I had been violated several times over and beaten like a red headed step child. I still do enjoy the show but whenever I see the finale on tv, I get pissy about it.

Personally I think the show itself was a comment on just how frail human beings are.
Yes the Seinfeld ending really sucked.
No, you obviously don’t get my point. I really liked the greater story going on. I think the Instumentality of Man is a great idea and under normal circumstances I would enjoy this kind of story. But like I said before it’s all drowned in the main character’s sulking and whining.
I do see that you need a mentally weak character, who doesn’t know his own place in society, in order to effectively show how the Instrumentality works. The creators just overdid it. They should have only committed half of the time to Shinji’s problems that they did. Then everyone would still know that Shinji is completely fucked up like he’s supposed to be. But he wouldn’t be a nuisance that ruins the anime for some people.

I’m not saying that NGE is a bad anime (, like I said before I like the basic story), but I think it’s completely overrated by those who only see the good story and not the flaws in its presentation.

mrJootan please refrain from saying that my disappointment with the anime is due to my failure to understand the ending. That’s not the case. My displeasure derives from another source.

This post is not meant to be insulting, derogative or hostile in any way. I don’t want to force my opinion on anyone. Blah…
Actually, my thoughts are the other way around. I hated the greater storyline and loved Shinji and the rest of the cast. Sure he was whiney, but you can't beg for a duplicated superman - Man of steel in every show you see. Imo there's no overdoing it on this.

I agree with Shisho's comments although imo the initial ending is still pretty good (better than EoE anyhow).
Gvazl33t
imanewbie

Post by Gvazl33t »

:shock:
i dont know about you (the first post)(well yeah i do) but the ending was moving. i loved how realistic and down to earth it seemed...

dos.azn:
i agree about the movie part, i have it and it r0x5 my 50x.
Concealed_Rage
imanewbie

Post by Concealed_Rage »

I think InuYasha is the most overrated, it is the same old recycled crap from the same creator. You can match almost every character to there counterpart in ranma. I only watched a few episodes and I noticed even some of the subplots from ranma were recycled as well. I hate that show and it is everywhere
Last edited by Concealed_Rage on Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"He appeared right in front of me, and he wasn't a demon... but what looked like a human. As if he'd been yanked from before into the present unchanged. I gazed at him and for a second... I forgot to kill him."
- Guts from Berserk
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

People are finally beginning to realize that Rumiko Takahashi sucks. Joy.
Darnoc
Mastered PM

Post by Darnoc »

Cowboy Bebop is overrated.

Me and my brother were searching for an anime to watch and we decided to go for Cowboy Bebop because it was so highly praised. It turned out to be a disappointment. Kinda sucky storyline, no cool characters and awful music - GOD! I can't understand those who say CB's music was good! :x

By most it was an average anime which i would give about 6½/10.
Though I did like the part were they ate mushrooms...
On March 2006 Ajattara strikes back... damn... still 4 months
Itse---Kuolema---Tyhjyys---Apare