Most overrated anime ever

The latest and greatest of Japanese Animation. Found something new, or perhaps old and arcane... if it has to do with anime, it goes right here.

Moderator: EG Members

raziel
This is my new home

Post by raziel »

Trog wrote:
raziel wrote:people will disagree, but i think cowboy bebop is overrated.

a bit episodic which i usually don't mind, but it gets boring sometimes reminds me of inuyasha episodes for some reason (i no, bad comparison).

ending was cool tho.
Really? Sure, most of the anime is episodic, but I always thought that each episode is a masterpiece in storytelling.

Is there a specific reason, why you think it gets boring? Why does it remind you of inuyasha?
I mean the episodes were just average. I really don't see what makes it so different from the early inuyasha episodes (back when it was interesting). I mean the main character goes after the baddie of the day and takes care of it. Sometiems, the variations were interesting, but those were rare. On another note, I think Trigun was waaaay better than Cowboy Bebop. Both started late with the main story, but the episodic episodes were alot more amusing and entertaining IMO.

Eva is awesome.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Oh my god first time anybode says Trigun is better than CB.....

The reason everyone is crazy about CB is that Spike is one of the coolest characther ever and the music in th show rocks.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Koliare
imanewbie

Post by Koliare »

I think NGE is good

But i think the most overrated anime is Vampire hunter D and Vampire hunter D:Bloodlust . Hate ém.

(Raxhephon is like a better copy of NGE you who like NGE watch it)

Not overrated it just plainly sux:
Narutaru it was interesting the first two eps or something like that.
Smallest avatar around.
raziel
This is my new home

Post by raziel »

I heard Rahxephon ripped off of NGE, is this true?
I think Vampire Hunter D was hyped because it was the pioneer of the anime industry since it influenced alot of other animes. Think D's sucking hand with Inuyasha's Miroku's void hand.

Libaax: if this is the first time you've heard Trigun is better, does this mean something is wrong? spike did say some cool things sometimes, but i liked jet. music kicked ass tho.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Ofcourse not was just pointing out since i havent heard people talk about trigun much.

I liked Jet and whitout the music Bebop would be half good as it was.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Dominion
This is my new home

Post by Dominion »

raziel: Rahxephon is definately NOT a rip off of Eva... the endings are just similar... but rahxephon's is much more satisfiying IMO.. which is why i intend to buy the dvds

the reason why almost everyone whos seen cowboy bebop loves it to death is because of the casual coolness of the each of characters... everyone of them were cool in their own ways like in what they say or in what they do... they didnt have to try to be cool... they were just cool... which is why i intend to buy the dvds :D

also ill admit the first episode of trigun is indeed very funny... the best ofthe filler eps in the series especially the beginning in the bar but it is no where near "better than cowboy bebop".... as soon as the animation quality of trigun went down so did my interest... the manga is a much more worth while read than the series

IMO of course...

*cough*giantrobo*cough*
raziel
This is my new home

Post by raziel »

I think this is one going to be one of the most used phrases in this forum (if not already) for me: To each his/her own.
Dominion
This is my new home

Post by Dominion »

it will... i think its just because some of us just want others to realize how good a certain anime really is instead of just brushing it off.. its really a contest of peoples' tastes...
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Hack/sign was miserable, a thoroughly boring and childish show. I only watched it to the end because I always watch everything to the end.

Trigun is great, it's not overrated.

CB has weird inconsistencies in the quality. The actual story eps are wonderful, and the filler eps suddenly seem weirdly flat once the story starts. But what's really cool about CB is the characters and the general mood. So it's not really overrated, but I wouldn't give it more than an overall 9.5 out of 10 :).

But looking at what animenfo posts as the top anime by user vote, I'd say what's really overrated is:

Elfen Lied. Yes, the intro music rocks, and some of it is not so bad, but really, half of it is poor friendship stories, and the other half mindless slaughter. Good animation, average story, not worth a top-ten spot.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
Shade
This is my new home

Post by Shade »

I like the mindless slaughter part.
Sailor Moon was so overated. My sister used to watch that shit ever freaking day and all I could think was "How can they watch this shit. OMFG It gives makeup tips x.X"
~http://www.thecenternetwork.com/forum/~
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Shade wrote:I like the mindless slaughter part.
You'll hopefully grow out of it one day.
Brainpiercing
AnimeGoddess
imanewbie

Post by AnimeGoddess »

A tie between Pokemon, Digimon, and Yu Gi Oh!
Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

AnimeGoddess wrote:A tie between Pokemon, Digimon, and Yu Gi Oh!
Got to agree with you on that one. But then again I am much older than there target audiance.

I really liked Trigun(anime and manga) but most peopel I know hated it for some reason or the other. Apparently you love it or hate it, not much inbetween.

Though I never cared for Sailor Moon, apparenlty if you get the fansubs its a completely different show. Apparently they changed alot when they brought it over here for little girls. Some episodes didn't air over here, and apparently there was a few other things they changed completely in the translation. Still doesn't seem intersting to me though.

RahXephon was good, but still felt like Eva to me. Especially some of hte episodes, alert attack defend epsiode end. I am like didn't I see that before, oh wait that was in Eva. But still worth the watch IMO. Better ending in alot of ways. As in the only needed to do it once to satify the fans.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

b3rSer|< iz t3h m0s+ 0v3rR@t3d ev@h !!!!111!!!11-shift+1-11!!

Seriously though, whithout counting complete garbage like Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh, I would say that the most overrated anime is Eva. It's not that's it's bad, it's just that it's not as good as people make it out to be. Some of the episodes are just too good, but sadly, I can count these episodes with my left hand alone. It lacks direction, and a lot of the episodes are just totally useless to the main plot.

Cowboy Bebop is mostly made out of stand alone episodes, but that's how the series was planned. Eva just stretches it way too much. One of the differences between Bebop and Eva is that the characters are not the usual anime crap cliches. Eva has the typically whiny unsecure boy, the loudmouth girl, and the quiet morbid girl. Gendou is the typical guy that knows everything (just like Ritsuko) and Misato is pretty much Asuka but more mature. I could go on, and I'm sure people will try to expand on these brief descriptions, but that changes nothing. Now please try to describe Spike, Jet, Faye or Ed from Bebop so simply. I cannot. Heck, even Ein is awesome, and he's a goddamned dog!

Cowboy Bebop is not overrated. It doesn't have a huge plot like Eva or even Berserk, but it's not that kind of series. Bebop is great because of it's awesome characters and it's great style and subtleness, not the mention the awesome animation, music and direction.

And on that subject, Berserk is probably the most underrated series I can think of. Everybody has "heard" that it's good, but nobody has seen it.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

If you thought Cowboy Bebop was overrated, you'll probably think Samurai Champloo is too. I wonder why :roll: .

It was very stylish, I guess people look beyond that....

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Eldo wrote:If you thought Cowboy Bebop was overrated, you'll probably think Samurai Champloo is too. I wonder why :roll: .

It was very stylish, I guess people look beyond that....
I'm pretty sure I said that Cowboy Bebop is NOT overrated. Forgive if I didn't make myself clear on that.

I watched the first four episodes of Samurai Champloo though, and was unimpressed by them.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Hey, I wasn't responding to your post, just passing by with a comment :wink: . Just saying if you don't like Cowboy Bebop, you probably won't enjoy Champloo.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

OK. I think I just assumed you were responding to my post. Sorry about that. In any case, I'm still reserving full judgement on Champloo because I haven't seen the whole series. I don't see that happening anytime soon though, the first episodes came off as a little cliched to me. I'll probably see it when somebody I know has it.
Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

I agree with Femto on Cowboy Bebop. It had this great feel all thoughout it. It didn't have that I need to watch the next epsiode cause the last one ended a cliffhanger like most. It was more of a man I can't wait to see what these guys get mixed up in next. Plus it has one of the best endings of any series. And the whole jazz music theme, and the cool characters.

I also agree with him on Berserk. It is crazy underrated. Many people I have talked to haven't even heard of it. But definately worth watching. The only thing that sucks is the ending. But if you read the anime it makes it not matter. Actually I watched the series twice in a row, and second time through the ending actually seemed very appropriate somehow. I think if you know its coming the rest of the series points to it building up to that. Also there was not much publicity for it either. Its not something Cartoon Network would play.
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

Of course Cowboy Bebop is episodic. They are bounty hunters, remember? The catch a guy, collect the bounty, go on to the next guy. Rinse and repeat.
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
blames them for his own mistakes." - Gene Roddenberry
Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

Except they never did get the money. Something alwasy came up preventing them from cashing in.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I prefer linear plot myself, but Bebop was cool.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

I've watched some of late episodes of Trigun again, and they have some immensely powerful scenes in there. And with very small means at that. Really Trigun is not overrated, and people who hate it are weird :).

I'm surprised noone brought up the Gits series in this threat (or I overread it), but I think a lot of people feel this is overrated. Well, it is, if you compare it to normal character anime. But the Gits series isn't character anime. The characters are clearly not the main point, it's the world, this confusing world they live in. And for that it does an amazing job, so I'll disagree with anyone saying it's overrated.
(And again I missed the point of this thread :roll: )
Brainpiercing
Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

I think the thing people dislike about trigun is the feel is kinda bipolar. At points its happy, stupid humor, and then the next minute it is serious and having debates on who has the right to kill what, or even gets sad. So I think that is what threw some people off. I did love it. One of the early ones I really liked. Manga is better though.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Ah, I'd give it an 8, Trigun that is.