Most overrated anime ever

The latest and greatest of Japanese Animation. Found something new, or perhaps old and arcane... if it has to do with anime, it goes right here.

Moderator: EG Members

Trog
Mastered PM

Most overrated anime ever

Post by Trog »

For me the most overrated anime of all times is NG Evangelion:

The pseudo-abstract ending was stupid; the conclusion was completely meaningless and didn't carry any deeper message. The main character of NGE (Shinji ) is too much of a crybaby; the creators put way too much stress on his inferiority complexes. Most of the characters (especially Shinji) show no real character development and react to all stimuli in a predictable, preprogrammed way. Oh, did I already mention that the main characters SUCK.

Feel free to comment on my opinion.

Which anime do you think is overrated?? Why??
hadi
This is my new home

Post by hadi »

I second the Eva thing, I simply hated this anime.. :x
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Same. But Hack Sign was overrated too. Can't believe so many people recommended the anime to me...

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Trog
Mastered PM

Post by Trog »

True, hack.\sign sucked. It's sad because the beginning and the setting seemed promising. But it was ruined by the uninspired way the anime deals with the subject.
Dark_Zilo
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by Dark_Zilo »

i think NGE was so recomended because it was the first (i think)
the ending it's one of the worst i've seen
none of the questions are really answered and that second ending with everyone dying it's just... (no words can express it)

but for me LAIN was one of the worse ever. ohh and narutaru... if you can stay away from that one
The most beautiful thing in life is life itself
Get bitten by me
raziel
This is my new home

Post by raziel »

well actually you can't say they died. I don't want to say what cuz it might ruin for those who havent seen it tho this may idea may have already did it. I liked evangelion and its abstract ideas. What I see as overrated is Ghost in the Shell. aside from impressive animation, there's nothing much to it from whatever episodes i've seen.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I have luck that the people that saw NGE said to me that it sucked to i never tried it and will not try cause i hear it sucks all the time.
mrJotaan

Post by mrJotaan »

raziel wrote: What I see as overrated is Ghost in the Shell. aside from impressive animation, there's nothing much to it from whatever episodes i've seen.
I guess you haven't watched GITS SAC 1st gig and 2nd gig because there's nothing overrated about that, it's just simply great. To me, it's not even about the animation, it's about the story which is pretty deep. Also, I don't think NGE is really that overrated, it was 2-3 years ago but not anymore. I'd have to say the most overrated anime right now is Naruto. I used to watch the anime and it just started to piss me off, all the fillers and the length of the stories, they drag shit on for way too long.

Trog, your focus seems to be on the ending of NGE. Personally it just sounds like you're complaining about how you didn't get the ending you wanted and so the whole series to you is flawed because of it.
Trog
Mastered PM

Post by Trog »

mrJotaan wrote:Trog, your focus seems to be on the ending of NGE. Personally it just sounds like you're complaining about how you didn't get the ending you wanted and so the whole series to you is flawed because of it.
Damn.
Had an elaborate reply to this.
Got logged out (don't know why).
Lost my post (fuck)
Here is my short version:
My main complaint is about the stupid main character. Instead of concentrating on interesting story elements like the angels, the dead sea scrolls, politics etc., the anime is all about Shinji bitchin'.
The anime is completely dedicated to Shinji's little world of sulking, crying and being a complete asshole.

I don't mind abstract endings (,in fact I really enjoy animes that might be best described as complete brainfucks). I dislike the NGE ending because the instrumentality of man shows just another incarnation of Shinji's psychosis.
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

captain harlock, the harlock saga, galaxy express 999 all suck...

Now with //hack I liked the music and the visual style but thats about it, it was just too BORING...

NARUTO + BLEACH doesn't even come close to the BEST MANGA= ONE PIECE
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I loved Eva. Some people just don't get it I guess. Either that, or maybe it's just not for some people. There's a reason Shinji had so many problems. Also, Instrumentality is pure genius. It's a brilliant delving into some of the greatest philosophy I've ever heard. If you're not down with that, or if it you just don't get it, then fine. I personally thought it was one of the greatest animes to date. In any case, it's nothing personal, so there's no need to retort. I'm just giving my opinion, not targeting anyone *shrugs*.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

OMY GOD HOW CAN YOU POSSIBLY SAY THAT EVA IS GOOD *RRRAAAAAWWWWRRRRR8* *STARTS PULLING HIS HAIR OUT*

just kiddin i never watched it.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

i liked eva including the ending. Matter of fact, I like everything that came out of Gainax. :D

Damien: I agree, the music is good for /hack, i have the OST, but the anime itself was crap IMHO.

Anime I can't stand are:

MD Giest
Inuyasha
hack sign

... i'm sure there is more, but thankfully i have forgotten them all. The above have mentally tortured me. I'll add more below if and when I remember.
mrJotaan

Post by mrJotaan »

Trog, I can understand where you're coming from. I know that when endings aren't the way you hoped them to be, it can ruin the show for you. As an example, when Seinfeld ended the way I did, I felt like I had been violated several times over and beaten like a red headed step child. I still do enjoy the show but whenever I see the finale on tv, I get pissy about it.

Personally I think the show itself was a comment on just how frail human beings are.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

mrJotaan wrote:
Personally I think the show itself was a comment on just how frail human beings are.

Seinfield or EVA, Sienfield in my oppinion is the greateset sitcom in television history. And lets not forget my George sig. Yes I think I might bring it back.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I'm not sure if I've ever seen the last episode of Seinfeld.

The worst anime I've ever seen was Ninja Resurrection...but that didn't really get any hype.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Im pretty sure you dont want to see the last episode of seinfeld.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Why...what happened?
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

There all sent to jail for a year I think because of all the bad things they did throughout there lives. The law they broke was the Good Samaraten law. They bring poeple like the soup nazi and babo back to testify against them. And lets not forget the girl with the nice boobies that Jerry got Elane to test out for him. Yes it is truly a site to not be witnissed.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

What the heck...Hm, I still wouldn't mind seeing it so I could think, "Wow, this goes beyond normal Sienfeld physcis, almost."
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Dragon Ball is by far the most overrated ever, actually i havent seen the anime but i read the manga and if the manga is that bad then the anime must be ten times worse.
Trog
Mastered PM

Post by Trog »

mrJotaan wrote:Trog, I can understand where you're coming from. I know that when endings aren't the way you hoped them to be, it can ruin the show for you. As an example, when Seinfeld ended the way I did, I felt like I had been violated several times over and beaten like a red headed step child. I still do enjoy the show but whenever I see the finale on tv, I get pissy about it.

Yes the Seinfeld ending really sucked.
No, you obviously don’t get my point. I really liked the greater story going on. I think the Instumentality of Man is a great idea and under normal circumstances I would enjoy this kind of story. But like I said before it’s all drowned in the main character’s sulking and whining.
I do see that you need a mentally weak character, who doesn’t know his own place in society, in order to effectively show how the Instrumentality works. The creators just overdid it. They should have only committed half of the time to Shinji’s problems that they did. Then everyone would still know that Shinji is completely fucked up like he’s supposed to be. But he wouldn’t be a nuisance that ruins the anime for some people.

I’m not saying that NGE is a bad anime (, like I said before I like the basic story), but I think it’s completely overrated by those who only see the good story and not the flaws in its presentation.

mrJootan please refrain from saying that my disappointment with the anime is due to my failure to understand the ending. That’s not the case. My displeasure derives from another source.

This post is not meant to be insulting, derogative or hostile in any way. I don’t want to force my opinion on anyone. Blah…
mrJotaan

Post by mrJotaan »

I never did say anything about you not being able to understand the ending, not sure how that came up but it's all good. These are all just opinions, when you say anything, it won't be taken in a bad way, my comment to you wasn't actually directed at you though it seemed like it. My comment was directed at the general population who seem like they liked the anime up until the ending of the movie.
Trog
Mastered PM

Post by Trog »

mrJootan: Sorry if I overreacted. Please don't begin your post with 'Trog,...' if you don't intend to adress me.

Starnum:
Also, Instrumentality is pure genius. It's a brilliant delving into some of the greatest philosophy I've ever heard.
I do agree that the Instrumentality theme was very good. It's not often that a anime forces you to think so much. But you are exaggerating.

SPOILER
The basic idea of the Instrumentality is that the characters overcome the problems caused by their individuality ( ,mainly those caused by the restrictions on communication between two individuals), by breaking down the the boundaries of individuality and becoming one with everyone else.
At least that's the way I remember it. (It has been more than 3 years since I last saw it)
So, if you try to put it even shorter you get:
Overcome the problems of individuality by giving it up.

That has about the same philosophical value as:
If you can't deal with life, stop living.
or
If you don't like the air, stop breathing.
etc.

This post is not meant to be insulting, derogative or blah…blah...
I just want to keep the discussion going.
Trog
Mastered PM

Post by Trog »

Libaax wrote:Dragon Ball is by far the most overrated ever, actually i havent seen the anime but i read the manga and if the manga is that bad then the anime must be ten times worse.
DB is a dinosaur. Though it isn't very good by modern standards, the impact it had on manga is not to be taken lightly. In fact without its success several good animes of similar format probably wouldn't exist.

Nevertheless you're right. If you disregard its effect on the manga industry it's overrated.