Most overrated anime ever

The latest and greatest of Japanese Animation. Found something new, or perhaps old and arcane... if it has to do with anime, it goes right here.

Moderator: EG Members

Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

This is one of my favorite topics. :) Here is a list (all based off current outlook).

1. Samurai Champloo - I know many people who speak about this anime as if its the best thing since sliced bread. What a joke they are looking for a sunflower samurai and mention nothing more than that 16 (all I have to patience to watch up to) episodes into a 27 episode series.

2. Inuyasha - What can I say I personally love being outsmarted every episode by the same person over and over and over and .............

Thats the major ones at the moment.
"Context is for Kings"
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Gotta comment on the bipolar feel of Trigun again: I think it was intentional. The story as it goes seems to move towards disaster, and the stupid comedy that they put in surrounding Vash is to show that he really could have better things to do than become a martyr, and would in no way feel left out for it.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

Yeah I am pretty sure its intential. I actually like it alot. I think that was one thing I liked about it, it seemed to balance comedy with seriousness. But some people don't like to watch something that changes its feel that much.
DidUrHusband
imanewbie

Post by DidUrHusband »

Ah,yes. Overrated anime titles. Although some I'm about to list I like, but they really do recieve too much acclaim.

Dragonball Z (...what a waste.)
Dragonball GT (Bullshit.)
Naruto
Inuyasha (I don't like the dubbed anime or the anime that much in general. I prefer the manga)
Gundam (Had a few good series here and there.)
Sailor Moon ('Nuff said.)
Dot Hack Sign (Why do people keep recommending this to me?!)
Fruits Basket
Love Hina (Not too-too bad..)
Rurouni Kenshin (Same goes for this as Love Hina)
Nadesico
Ranma (Pretty good series, but not THAT great.)
Chobits (....)
"In general the art of government consists in taking as much money as possible from one class of citizens to give to the other." [Voltaire]
Oro
Evil Genius

Post by Oro »

1.Naruto
2.Inuyasha
3.Love Hina
4.All Gundam series(they all suck)
DarkenRahlX
Crusher of Dreams

Post by DarkenRahlX »

I believe Berserk is the MOST overrated anime ever. Pure poo. >.> <.<

*runs away*
Sahlen
Found the Edit button

Post by Sahlen »

Yeah run! run!
Run for youre life :twisted:
Ashes To Ashes, Dust to Dust, Life is Short, So Party We Must!
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

He can drive in the GTO so no one can even chase him :P

999th POST!!

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Go Eldo! You're almost there!
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

I've made it! Now that the shame has worn off, I feel greater than ever!

Just let me think that way, OK? :wink:

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Sahlen
Found the Edit button

Post by Sahlen »

Congratulations and keep on making those wonderful Omakes! ^^
Ashes To Ashes, Dust to Dust, Life is Short, So Party We Must!
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

DarkenRahlX wrote:I believe Berserk is the MOST overrated anime ever. Pure poo. >.> <.<

*runs away*
cause ur 1/8 korean, ill stall them for 30 seconds
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

28......29.....*lines up scope*....and 30...

*Blam*

Well, now that that's over. I would say Dragon Ball Z is overrated, but Idon't know if it qualifies as an anime. Animes are like 20-50 episodes IMHO, not 500,000,000. And Inuyasha is getting the same way. How long does it take them to get that freakin' jewel from Naraku? I'll tell you, too long. :x

Whoops, must have hit his shoulder and not his heart, 'scuse me...

*Blam*
*Blam*
*Blam*

:twisted:
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

Overrated anime, hmmmmmm......

Evangelion has already been mentioned and that is the obvious choice.
I would have to say that almost all of the anime shown on Cartoon Network is way overrated.
I can't think of any thing else really....
InsaneNoodlyGuy
Mastered PM

Post by InsaneNoodlyGuy »

Grahf wrote: 1. Samurai Champloo - I know many people who speak about this anime as if its the best thing since sliced bread. What a joke they are looking for a sunflower samurai and mention nothing more than that 16 (all I have to patience to watch up to) episodes into a 27 episode series.
Because samurai Champloo is fucking awesome. It's not about finding the Samurai, that does happen and is amazingly and deliberatly brief. It's about the journey there.
Meow! Meow! Meow! Cat chow!! Cease your flatulent winds and hear my mind numbing expulsions of wicked noise!! Grrr!! Cheese!!!
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

InsaneNoodlyGuy wrote:Because samurai Champloo is fucking awesome. It's not about finding the Samurai, that does happen and is amazingly and deliberatly brief. It's about the journey there.
So is Inuyasha. :roll:

Inu: Lets get the Jewel.
Kagome: Ok we sooo got this, since I could see the shards.
150+ useless episodes later
Inu: Do we have that Jewel yet?
Kagome: No but we have had good time looking for it. XD

Ummm sorry doesn't work for me.
"Context is for Kings"
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

You forgot the 200+ useless episodes where they have big chunks of the jewel, but lose them in a dumbass manner.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

And don't forget the 211th useless episode when Inu Yasha finally gets some balls between his legs and ventures out to hold Kagome's hand.
To2fPic
Mastered PM

Post by To2fPic »

To be an overrated anime, it needs to be something that gets praises that it does not deserve. When I think about it this way, one anime pops into my mind right away: Gundam Seed.

Now, I'm a huge fan of gundam (seen every single series including the novels.), but for me, this is what gundam seed is like...

Corporate bastards @ Sunrise: OK, so our last couple of gundam series really flopped; Turn A, G Savior... So we need to revive our gundam fan base quick!

Money/Power-hungry ass kissers: We'll just repeat the exact same story line of the original Gundam and have really attractive characters so this time we don't take as much risks and be sure to get alot of attention! It's a get rich quick scheme!

Corporate Asshole: Alritey... sounds good..... i'mma go to Thailand and have sex with 12 yr old girls while u guys get everything together.... make sure we make alot of money from the copyrights of models, games, and DVDs ok?

Seed pisses alot of gundam veterans off simply because of unoriginality. But I guess for the lesser gundam fans out there, it doesn't matter. So to me, all the praise and acclaim that it's gotten should basically be redirected back to the original gundam.

Btw, Gundam Turn A is absolutely an underrated anime. You guys should def. watch it.

And while I'm talking about underrated, Now and Then Here and There is by for the most underrated anime ever. Its themes were extremely powerful and moving and its character development is absolutely amazing to watch.
A wise monkey never monkeys around with another monkey's monkey
Volyund
imanewbie

Post by Volyund »

I would agree that Hack Sign is the most overrated, because everyone says it's so good, and then others are kind of pressured to say it's good as well... All it has is gread animation and trully awsome soundtrack. (with all that music did they not have enough money for the plot?!)

DBZ is overrated, but the first Dragon Ball was actually pretty good (before Goku had all that kamehameha crap, when he actually lost in some fistfights).

I also agree that GitS SAC is not a character developing anime, it's purpose is to show the society through some individuals. But I think it does a great job at that.
Wakizashi - Japanese Short Sword worn only by Samurai next to katana.
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

Volyund wrote:I also agree that GitS SAC is not a character developing anime, it's purpose is to show the society through some individuals. But I think it does a great job at that.
In second gig they do a little bit better with the major's character. They also explain some of the other characters origins. But then again I really don't expect character development out of Gits. :lol:
"Context is for Kings"
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Evangelion is not overrated, damnit! :stupid:
You just need a crash course in psychology and an open mind to get the ending...
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
vermillion
imanewbie

Post by vermillion »

I can't really come up with an overrated and at the same time interesting anime. Personally, I like Dragon Ball Z; I know that there is no long plot with unexpected turnouts or with a thoughtful and intricate development, but the fights have somehow a vertiginous rhythm that catches your attention immediately and make you feel like willing to be part of that fight (who didn't imagine himself being in the air and hitting that way they do in the back that particularly annoying guy, throwing him roughly to the floor :wink: ).

The characters have pretty much charisma and they are very expressive as well; the arrogant faces they are sometimes drawn with is just amazing (mostly after raising a new Super Saiajin state). That feeling of "now I am really powerful, you will be wish you were not born". Dragon Ball Z caught not only a big audience among those ones who didn't know what Anime is, but it has been also seen by a lot of people who were inside Anime already.

Sometimes the critics it receive are not deserved; the problem is that nowadays it's a common way for some people to feel themselves intelligents and original when criticizing something bellowing to the "mainstream". I'm not pointing at no one, there is also very often people with valid critics to it.

Sorry if I went way too much out of topic :sweat: , sometimes it's normal in me unfortunately. Back on it, even though I like Dragon Ball Z, I believe Dragon Ball GT to be overrated. It's just some Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z reprise in Universal scale, some characters (Piccoro Daimaku -which I believe to be his complete name, not sure though-, but mainly Vegeta) lost their violence -a significant characteristic they had in Dragon Ball Z-, fightings lost violence as well, and it got boring. But it's popular just because it is Dragon Ball (Toriyama, we missed you :cry: ). I would save only the last 2 chapters from there, for having the single plus that the fight is a little bit "Dragon Ball Z" like animated, and that it is the closing of the whole cycle.

About an underrated Anime, I believe I pick Gasaraki. It belongs to a "historical period" with a good amount of excellent Anime (Evangelion, Escaflowne, Cowboy Bebop, Lain). It has an interesting plot, mixing japanese traditions and mythology with nowadays society and technology; a very good opening and ending (both song and animation); animation, character design, mecha design, all of them are really good. But since it is a little bit dense, and since it's not full of those spectacular scenes made in order to easily catch audience, it's practically unknown by some people. That's my opinion at least, and I know that I'm risking myself to receive as an answer "it is a boring anime" (shrugs).
Else there are invited guests, there is no party
Dominion
This is my new home

Post by Dominion »

err i saw gasaraki and there was no hint of cowboy bebop in there... its more of a political thriller in my books with mechs thrown in for an added bonus *edit* or escaflowne for that matter.... you must be smoking something that i should be smoking too

i mentioned this before but i guess no one cared to check it out... not that i care of course :roll: Giant Robo doesnt seem to be well known in the anime community for some reason... it might be because of the lack of a subtitled version but after watching this i immediately became addicted to it.. its old school, its epic and its got a very enthralling storyline behind it... its out on DVD now and i suggest you grab it or you will be missing out on an experience
vermillion
imanewbie

Post by vermillion »

I've seen somewhere already some pics of the mecha there (Giant Robo). I'm not sure if it was a magazine, a web page, or what. In any case, I will write it down. Thanks for the hint. I like a lot those old epic Animes, as well as I also like those simple Animes like Heidi, Robinson Family, Conan the boy of the future, Sherlock Dog... there is some kind of beauty and poetry in those old Animes that you can rarely find nowadays, if you can actually find it at all. Though it's true that sometimes they were really naive.

About Gasaraki... I never said that it's like CowBe or the other ones... I just said that both are contemporaneous, together with the other ones I mentioned (well, Eva and Esca actually 1 or 2 years before, I guess, but not a big difference); and the only thing in common between them that I actually mentioned was that they are all excellent Animes.
Else there are invited guests, there is no party