Katrina

All the news that's new and approved. We want your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

Moderator: EG Members

Femto
Devourer of Children

Katrina

Post by Femto »

I'm surprised there haven't been any topics about this yet. I think it's been touched upon in that Interstice thread, but feel free to direct your rants/angers/frustrations/comments here.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

I donated $100 to the American Red Cross a day after it hit.

To anyone that wants to blame someone, somegroup, or some religion or action for Katrina's devastation, I say "Idiot, if I ever meet you in the street I will sodomize you with a 24' retractable baton (PR24)."

For emphasis:Baton

There, I feel better now.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Dunno if its a rant, but an interesting story at least.

The Marching Band at U of M is doing a "World Rock Show" This week. Our set was set to be:

Europe - The Final Countdown
AC/DC - You Shook Me All Night Long
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
and
Scorpions - Rock You Like A Hurricane

Needless to say, we have since dropped it, which I found interesting, since all the drill and music had been written out (Which takes a while). I had talked about it breifly with people and I thought that they might just not announce it during the show, or just call it like "A classic by the Scorpions" or something. We have replaced it with a song we did like 3 years ago Metallica - Enter Sandman, so it's not a total lose. I was/am pretty indifferent about the situatuion, I was surprised at how quickly and decisiveky a decision was made.
ImageImage
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I don't think people blame the government for the damage that was done, I think people are angry towards the poor handling of the situation afterwards.

In any case, neither poor government nor pitiful handling of the catastrophe bother me that much since I was born and raised in such an environment. The thing that bothers me is the loss of life and what really pisses me off are the assholes that are trying to gain some profit from this. Those are the people that should be sodomized with a baton.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

I'm pissed at those that brought a religious context into 'why' this happened.

I'm pissed at the director of FEMA for not letting the USS Comfort do its job. In case anyone missed it, he refused to let the Army do it's job. He refused to let the leased officers from other states come and help, this guy is a complete asshat. Both the Army and the Police had to break their own orders from FEMA to airlift supplies (costly, would have been less expensive to use Humvee but FEMA had commandeered those).

Femto: agreed on the conmen part, and the snipers. I mean, what are they thinking? Obviously they need taken out back and beaten, or better yet, to be submerged for the better part of a day in the fetid water and left to the care of the bio-hazard.
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

The people who could have left before it hit and knew, and still didnt leave, I have no sympathy for, but it really just boils down to a natural disaster, they happen all the time, I don't see how its any diffrent.

NARUTO + BLEACH doesn't even come close to the BEST MANGA= ONE PIECE
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

*nods* The planet is a unsafe place to live, we have to make the best of it and rebuild.

Was listening to NPR today about how many people have lost everything and will probably end up staying where they where evacuated to: Utah, Texas, etc etc.

I wouldn't mind seeing a nation wide volunteer effort to adopt a family that had everything destroyed and no where to turn. That would help get the family into a safe environment, and the ability go find work and still have shelter over their head. I would support this.
Last edited by psi29a on Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

psi29a wrote:"Idiot, if I ever meet you in the street I will sodomize you with a 24' retractable baton (PR24)."

For emphasis:Baton.
Pfft, I'm getting the baton from ebay instead.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Eldo wrote:
psi29a wrote:"Idiot, if I ever meet you in the street I will sodomize you with a 24' retractable baton (PR24)."

For emphasis:Baton.
Pfft, I'm getting the baton from ebay instead.
Doesn't matter where you get, so long as you have one. Hell, go outside and find a Locust tree and break a branch off. The splinters will add the icing on the cake.

Picture time:

Yes, he stayed behind.
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

Omgosh What an idiot he is lucky he isn't DEAD!!

NARUTO + BLEACH doesn't even come close to the BEST MANGA= ONE PIECE
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

Anyone see Kanye West for NBC redcross fund??

http://media.putfile.com/Kanye79

your thoughts?

But in the end, no matter what, people knew that the hurricane will hit. What i dont understand is why wasnt there a plan to go and help immediatly?
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Well its been somewhat hectic in my little town too. As most of you should know San Diego has been prone to wild fires. And this morning a park next to my house caught on fire somehow. I think there saying it was arsen. Anyways my house is on this mountain, called black mountain and so is this park. So the fire is spreading across the mountain but in the opposite way of my house( thank god). So for alot of today i was helping friends evactuate there houses and shit. Iono kinda freaked me out.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

Damien wrote:The people who could have left before it hit and knew, and still didnt leave, I have no sympathy for, but it really just boils down to a natural disaster, they happen all the time, I don't see how its any diffrent.
There are a lot of people that are less fortunate and don't have the money to leave, they wait in their houses and pray that their house does not get destroyed because it is all they have. The whole thing is a big mess, I guess it is complete anarchy down there, people shooting at helicopters and shit.
Necromancer
Dirty Sennin

Post by Necromancer »

I don't watch TV/News that much so I don't know much about it but I saw a flash that's very true for many disasters and I always think like that.

http://uploads.ungrounded.net/262000/26 ... pecial.swf
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I think it's fucking unfair for people to just say "Oh, those guys that didn't leave are fucking idiots for staying and deserve what's coming to them," while most (if not all) of us are sitting comfortably behind our computer screens doing nothing more than watching how this unfolds. Think how hard it would be to just leave everything behind because of a warning. I know I would've had a real hard time doing that, I have everything I've worked for right here with me and I'd be hard for people to convince me of leaving what I've gathered here just because of a warning. Of course, this situation has made me wiser in that regard, but it's so reasy to pass judgement when we are not in the middle of the fucking chaos that's going on over there.

Then, of course, there's what Ayanami mentioned. Not everybody has the means to just up and leave, and I'm not talking financially either. What about the disabled or the elderly? Where the fuck are they going to run to? Like I always say, it's not black and white, and most people should try to put themselves in the shoes of the people that are living through these hard times before passing such harsh judgement as "they should die for being idiots."

The looters do deserve to die though, they're the worst fucking scum I've ever witnessed in my short lifespan and they've got no excuse for what they're doing. Same for the rapists.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

I was under the empression that alot of em dont want to leave because they believe the water will receede soon. That alot of them have no idea just how bad it is because they dont have t.v or electricity right now.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

You guys need to know though, during hurricanes people do still stay behind. Most of the time a few house on the waterfront are the ones that get the most damge. Somehow in this case Katrina hit a lot harder then expected and was then flooded. For a city that in mainly flat how do you get rid of the water?? What i just dont understand is why are they other countries not helping?? I think it was Isreial that only contributed so far.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Other countries not giving us a hand is another one. It's not shocking, but it is disappointing. We did what we could during the tsunami, I'm amazed people can't be as generous.

I guess we cannot rely or expect any help from asshole countries for such situations.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

halfnhalf wrote:Somehow in this case Katrina hit a lot harder then expected and was then flooded.
Katrina was a class 5 hurricane, the levee was made to with stand a level 3, so you are going to get a flood.

My friend's father works as an engineer for the core. The core wished to up grade the levee to withstand a level 5 hurricane months before it hit. There was no money to do it though. According to this man, (and I am going to add some fuel to the political fire here) about 2 weeks of time spent in Iraq would have payed for the improvement.

PS - Did I spell Levee right? The spell check button says it is ok. :D
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

actually it was class four because of wind speeds but had the damage of a class five...or atleast thats what i heard on the radio. but i found it really weird that i didnt actually learn about katrina until like 2 days or so after it happened :?
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Femto wrote:Other countries not giving us a hand is another one. It's not shocking, but it is disappointing. We did what we could during the tsunami, I'm amazed people can't be as generous.

I guess we cannot rely or expect any help from asshole countries for such situations.
I thought that Bush said that help from other countries was not necessary.

China offered to help with a hefty sum of cash, last I heard.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

man fuck that we should accept whatever help is given :?. and that kanye...i think everyone else seemed to take his comments...well
Oro
Evil Genius

Post by Oro »

Ayanami wrote: According to this man, (and I am going to add some fuel to the political fire here) about 2 weeks of time spent in Iraq would have payed for the improvement.
WHO SHOULD WE BLAME...BUSH,DUH!!
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Nazgûl wrote:
Ayanami wrote: According to this man, (and I am going to add some fuel to the political fire here) about 2 weeks of time spent in Iraq would have payed for the improvement.
WHO SHOULD WE BLAME...BUSH,DUH!!
http://www.bigfib.com/issue50/head1-en.html

Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Who gives a shit about blame? Blame is counterproductive in a situation like this. Why not try to give these people a hand in some way or another instead of wasting time blaming this guy or that guy? We'll worry about blame later, the last thing this people need is the rest of the country arguing about whose fault this is.