Intelligent Design

All the news that's new and approved. We want your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

Moderator: EG Members

Teaching Intelligent Design in public schools is:

A really good idea - we should remember our Christian heritage
12%
A stunningly bad idea - that's what private schools are for?
53%
Not my problem - I don't live in the US
35%

Total votes: 17

psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Wow, this buddah guys sounds like my 'ol drinking buddy. *ducks* jking guys. :P
TheDarkness
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by TheDarkness »

now i don't want to kick someone in the nuts with this but i once read a very nice statement about religion. Dunno it exaclty anymore but it more or less came down to the following.

Religion is in essence the same thing as the roman thought of bread and games.
Karl Marx said: "Die Religion ist wie Opium fur das Volk." Religion is like Opium for the people.

I believe this to be very much the truth. I say this because most religions (i dare not say all cause i don't know most religions anyway) have been founded in an era of turmoil. An era of war and death or in something else that caused a lot of trouble. In moments like those people think (and often hope) that there is something watching over them. Take christianity for instance (hope i wrote that correct). The whole idea sprung somewhere during the later years of the roman empire. Some would claim it started the day jezus was born but from official records it is to be concluded that is was quiet a few years later.
Another part that makes it easy to believe that religion is founded under similair conditions is that every religion has more then 1 thing in commen.
Most have a person that has been sent to the earth as a messenger from God.
Most make you believe in something after death. Be it reincarnation or Heaven (and Hell offcourse).
Most (heck with this one i can say all) dictate a way of life. And coincidentaly if this way of life is led by all then the poor will remain poor... The rich will remain rich and nothing ever changes. Which is good for rulers in said time periods.
Most religions can be interpreted in more then 1 way. There are no absolutes. When holy scripture says that if you do it in the name of god then you can do anything then some people will see this as a reason to fight wars while others believe that if they try and help people in the name of their god that they can do impossible things.
Most religions claim that theirs is the one and only true religion and that all the others are fake.

As too the part in which i said that it would be useless to teach something that has been proven to be wrong (with which i hurt MrFelony which was NOT my intention). The Holy Bible says that the first human was Adam. That he was created by god soon after he had created the earth. Adam is said to have been created in the year 4004 before the birth of Christ (picture of timeline). It has been scientifically proven that the first humans were much older (currently some 65000 years ago i believe). At the same note the earth. The earth would have been created not to long before Adam according to the bible. It has also already been proven that the earth is far older. How else can we have remains of creatures that lived several billion years ago. Life started about 3.6 billion years ago...

Now there are parts that HAVE BEEN PROVEN WRONG. I can't say that for everything but I still think i bullshit to teach things that we KNOW are not correct.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

meh im just tired of people having to prove this and that, i just wish people would just be okay wiht believing every once in a while. and i dont follow the timeline exactly as the bible says it, i just think there is something that we dont exactly know or w/e. and i think evolution was how god made man. we rose from the dirt/ashes into what we are today. i dont really feel like explaining the whole long-yard. but the point is that ya i was right in assuming i took your sentance in the wrong way heh :roll: and i do agree with you and marx (and i could read that with out the translation :P)
TheDarkness
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by TheDarkness »

MrFelony wrote:and i do agree with you and marx (and i could read that with out the translation :P)
Well you might understand german but some others might not so i took no risk and translated it
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

hehe they dont deserve to know what the master ra...err ya what you said <.< >.> <.<
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Fuel to the fire: Image

another rant here:
http://www.livejournal.com/users/mcsnee/433748.html
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

I am just gonna say that I think it is a horrible idea to teach ID in school.
Necromancer
Dirty Sennin

Post by Necromancer »

MrFelony wrote:hehe they dont deserve to know what the master ra...err ya what you said <.< >.> <.<
Those who can't understand german don't deserve to know bla? Huh I'm glad I can. :P
Gravity's acceleration. Stuff breaks when it falls at 32 ft/sec^2. A little gravity's good--you don't want your coffee to go flying off the desk, after all--but why's it got to be so heavy? And don't get me started on what happens when you drop a bowling ball on #2 up there. You think the Creator hasn't done that a time or two and thought to himself, "Good gravy, I'm a fool"?
Hehe nice.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
masterei
Don't mind me, I'm a dumbass.

Post by masterei »

The president recommended I.D.? HOW LOW CAN HE ACTUALLY GO?!?

Anyway, yeah teaching I.D is definitely not a good idea, it opens a door that should not be openned. Eventually we'd have to go about teaching any crackpot-theory these religious zealots came up with.

We don't teach made-up cr@p to appease any group of zealots, and we certainly shouldn't start now.
"Freedom is actually a bigger game than power. Power is about what you can control. Freedom is about what you can unleash."-Harriet Rubin
M's blog: http://guugul.blogspot.com/