New to the Berserk Forum? Have questions? Post Here First!

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Hey, at least you realized you made a mistake and apologized, that always helps. We look well upon that around here. Anyway, welcome to MW's, I hope you enjoy your stay.
Aeriel
Mastered PM

Post by Aeriel »

By some cosmical twist of fate, Dark Horse's Berserk appeared in one of (more expensive) bookstores in my city. But I'm little perplexed by dimesions of the book. As someone told me once, original Berserk is printed on A4 size of paper, and this is a... a booklet! I mean, it's freaking 18.7X12.7cm! Compared to the scanlations, I cannot imagine how anything can be seen in such a package. All those perfect little details, fascinating drawings and everything else that makes Berserk an eye-candy, can it really fit into 18.7X12.7cm?? Is this the Dark Horse edition, or did we get (as usual) some cheap downscaled version?

*Sigh* I guess I shouldn't rant so much. After all, I did buy 12 volumes of GTO in the same format and it was quite good. But after reading Berserk on screen, and being able to zoom in as much as I liked, I cannot help but feel a little bit downhearted...
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

All I know is that Berserk is the same size as all the rest of the manga at my local bookstore, which is in fact smaller than the scans. Another reason why I prefer scans. ;)
Maoist pupil
imanewbie

Post by Maoist pupil »

hail! i'm new here. i like berserk and this forum looks cool. see ya round the forum!
Aeriel
Mastered PM

Post by Aeriel »

Welcome :D
EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

Hey guys, first post. I wanna say thanks to EG for keepin' my Berserk addiction in check.

I've been comin' to these forums for a while, but I haven't felt the need to post until now. That's because I'm goin' insane waiting for chapter 280 :shock: and I see others here in the same boat.
Gattsblackfalcon
This is my new home

Post by Gattsblackfalcon »

Welcome , well yeah some of us are going insane , I hope that Miura give to us a christmas gift ( 280 chapter :D )
Ultra Berserk fan , Gatts wanna be . Image and EvilDmitri rocks ftw.
EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

Yeah. I've been a good boy this year and it's time Santa delivered :lol: .
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Aeriel wrote:By some cosmical twist of fate, Dark Horse's Berserk appeared in one of (more expensive) bookstores in my city. But I'm little perplexed by dimesions of the book. As someone told me once, original Berserk is printed on A4 size of paper, and this is a... a booklet! I mean, it's freaking 18.7X12.7cm! Compared to the scanlations, I cannot imagine how anything can be seen in such a package. All those perfect little details, fascinating drawings and everything else that makes Berserk an eye-candy, can it really fit into 18.7X12.7cm?? Is this the Dark Horse edition, or did we get (as usual) some cheap downscaled version?

*Sigh* I guess I shouldn't rant so much. After all, I did buy 12 volumes of GTO in the same format and it was quite good. But after reading Berserk on screen, and being able to zoom in as much as I liked, I cannot help but feel a little bit downhearted...
Volume Size Comparison feat. LordMune's ph4t l3wt

That's the standard size of a tankoubon/volume, but it is true that magazines are usually printed in a larger format, up to A4 in size. Would add a couple of those into the size comparison but I can't find any at the moment.

---

Also, I assume everyone knows that the resolution of the scans have nothing to do with the physical size of the source material.

But the source material is 'bigger' than the volumes.

But that is irrelevant.

EDIT: The japanese Berserk volumes have extra-shiny dust covers and are printed on higher-quality paper than the american releases, though.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

Hopefully they won't don't do like the french editors, who feel like reverting to the japanese style in the middle of a serie. My Kenshin (Vagabond?) collection is cut in half because of this genius's idea.

The dust-covers looks better though.
EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

LordMune wrote:EDIT: The japanese Berserk volumes have extra-shiny dust covers and are printed on higher-quality paper than the american releases, though.
Nippon Export, a Japanese-based site, sells the original Japanese version for just over $5, where as, say, Amazon sells the American release for more than double that!

If the Jap. release is higher in quality, why the big price increase with the NA edition?
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

I know for a fact that mangas are freakin expansive in the US, compare to Japan or Europe. I remember buying one LO here, I had to part from a kidney as a result.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

EnglishJim wrote:why the big price increase with the NA edition?
Licensing, translation and editing, infinitely smaller fan base.

In the end, they've got a more expensive product to sell to fewer people.

EDIT: Also, American companies won't take 'small' profit margins for an answer.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

I'm thinking about econ too much ...
Aeriel
Mastered PM

Post by Aeriel »

LordMune wrote:That's the standard size of a tankoubon/volume, but it is true that magazines are usually printed in a larger format, up to A4 in size. Would add a couple of those into the size comparison but I can't find any at the moment.
Thanks for comparison. Although, of those 4 things, I only know what Berserk is, so I have no idea what sizes are those 2 remaining magz :P
Orm
imanewbie

Post by Orm »

LordMune wrote:
Aeriel wrote:By some cosmical twist of fate, Dark Horse's Berserk appeared in one of (more expensive) bookstores in my city. But I'm little perplexed by dimesions of the book. As someone told me once, original Berserk is printed on A4 size of paper, and this is a... a booklet! I mean, it's freaking 18.7X12.7cm! Compared to the scanlations, I cannot imagine how anything can be seen in such a package. All those perfect little details, fascinating drawings and everything else that makes Berserk an eye-candy, can it really fit into 18.7X12.7cm?? Is this the Dark Horse edition, or did we get (as usual) some cheap downscaled version?

Volume Size Comparison feat. LordMune's ph4t l3wt

.... Also, I assume everyone knows that the resolution of the scans have nothing to do with the physical size of the source material.

But the source material is 'bigger' than the volumes.

But that is irrelevant.

EDIT: The japanese Berserk volumes have extra-shiny dust covers and are printed on higher-quality paper than the american releases, though.

In theory you can bring any resolution down to any format (microfilm :wink: ) , but alas, at least in the manga business you´ll meet limitations with the print and paper quality (economy...). I realized this when tried to look up certain details in my local One Piece release (it´s even a little bit smaller in format than what Aeriel mentioned afore) - several fine details like small graffiti, hidden persons, etc. simply had ceased to exist between format and quality...
Needless to say I was quite miffed with a product for that I had laid down my bucks.
snufkyn
imanewbie

new to forum

Post by snufkyn »

hi all! i was reading berserk... but i found something odd but couldnt' find an answer in the forums so i posted here....if you guys can answer or direct me to another thread it would be much appreciated... my question is:

is chapter 249 (vol 29) the exact same thing as chapter 258 (vol 30)??

:?: :?:

i tried the raws and the scanslations... the packed volumes and the individual chapters... they all show the same chapter... will be great if somebody can confirm or deny this confusion... THANKS!!

and thanks for the people who keep this forums up!!
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Sometimes, the chapters that are in the volumes are rearranged in different order to that released in magazine format. That is to aid the flow of the story and pacing of the volume, as Miura intended.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Souljer
imanewbie

Where did I leave off?

Post by Souljer »

Hi. I haven't read Berserk for months, and don't have access to the computer I downloaded Berserk onto. I was wondering if one of you guys out there could tell me where I left off so I can start downloading from there(I don't want to mess with the chronology of the manga)...

It was around the time where Guts and the crew were going for a ship to get to that elf kingdom after defeating that Indian sorcerer...

(It's been a very long while. I hardly remember the characters' names and terminology. :oops: )

EDIT: Looking for possible volume/chapter, or one around where I left off. Thanks.
EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

Hmm...We're still there now!. No, it's sounds like the part just before old man Ganishka turns up, then Zodd and the apostles arrive soon after. If that doesn't sound familiar to you, then your at about chapter 274.
Souljer
imanewbie

Post by Souljer »

EnglishJim wrote:Hmm...We're still there now!. No, it's sounds like the part just before old man Ganishka turns up, then Zodd and the apostles arrive soon after. If that doesn't sound familiar to you, then your at about chapter 274.
Yes, it is around 274. Thanks alot!
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Heh, they just now finally got to the boat, and then there was one chapter after that. I think Miura is so slow just to torture us, that bastard. :P
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

It could be worse. You could be one of those people he kidnaps in order to actually torture so he can make his Berserk torture scenes as accurate as possible.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

he's just waiting for someone to make the sacrifice and call the eclipse upon us...
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

If Miura had a donation Paypal account how much would you donate to get Berserk back on track??? Me I would donate at least a hundred dollars (which is 11,596.53 JPY!!!!) Maybe more because Berserk is worth it :twisted:
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip: