Berserk 309 - Ghost Ship 2

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

rubberchicken
imanewbie

Re: Berserk 309 - Ghost Ship 2

Post by rubberchicken »

Was there actually a new chapter this week? I couldn't help but notice that there was no date on the "see you next issue!" at the end of the most recent one.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

That wasn't my point. Yeah he said the German name badly, I didn't really understand why he chose that as his fake name. The point was that you said he was English when he was in fact Australian. Guess who else is Australian? Hugh Jackman, Nicole Kidman and ACDC. And ACDC got their name from a sewing machine.

P.S. the no date means that we can have a wait from 6 weeks to a year.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

"Next issue" means the next Young Animal. "Next time" means whenever the new chapter is ready, that that is usually 6 weeks to a year.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

The Herald wrote:That wasn't my point. Yeah he said the German name badly, I didn't really understand why he chose that as his fake name. The point was that you said he was English when he was in fact Australian. Guess who else is Australian? Hugh Jackman, Nicole Kidman and ACDC. And ACDC got their name from a sewing machine.
native speaker (plural native speakers)

1. A person who grew up with a particular language as their mother tongue.

a native speaker of English

I was under the assumption that "an english native" would be clear to mean "a native speaker of english"... and as far as I know there are no native english men, because those would be either british or roman.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Actually I think the Celts count as native English.

I'm a pessimist about Berserk releases.
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

The Herald wrote:I'm a pessimist about Berserk releases.
As a long time fan I went through a year of eagerly waiting for news about new releases. It was a horrible time. Now I rather not expect anything and be pleasantly surprised when a new chapter is announced. Try it, the wait will seem shorter.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Yeah, the releases are infrequent enough that I never bother anticipating them (or paying close attention to when the next one will be) anymore. I just check in here about once a day (for the conversation as much as anything) and am happy when a new chapter is announced. It's much less stressful that way.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

I'm pleasantly surprised about when a new release is announced too, but I sure don't wait for them. And I'm getting tired with all the speculation.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Waiting for Berserk is as useless as it is soul-crushingly depressing. Which is why, instead of wondering what is going to happen in the future, I prefer to re-read previous releases, trying to find new dimensions of Berserk I had previously ignored.
This time, I'm reading it as though I was a detective.
While doing so, I stumbled upon something that bothered me the first time I read Berserk, but somehow forgot along the way.
Remember that time Griffith charged Gutts with assassinating Count Julius? Remember how, just as Griffith planned, Gutts ended up killing Julius's son as well, along with half the castle's garrison? Remember how EVERYONE saw him?
In Miura's favor, I have to admit that Gutts made visible attempts to hide his face, but that isn't nearly enough to avoid being identified.
I can literally see it happening before my eyes. Which reminds me, I should cut down on the amount of mushrooms I ingest daily.

Windham Law officer: My god, look at these people! It's like they were torn apart by a giant, enormous, monstrously over-sized butter-knife!
Assistant: You mean a sword?
Windham Law officer: I meant exactly what I said, nostaW. Besides, the blade that caused this was unequivocally bigger than a sword.
Assistant: So it was a giant sword?
Windham Law officer: Don't be stupid nostaW, giant swords don't exist.
(Later,examining Adonis lifeless, -never,ever, no matter what the circumstances were, loved- body) This wound is not something an axe or a sword could do.
nostaW, what did the surviving guards said about the assailant? What did he look like? Was his weapon a ginourmous butter-knife, probably stained with fresh homemade-orphan juice?
Assistant: Yes, sir. The reports indicate the suspect was a very muscular man, wearing a black T-shirt and a cloak, which he aparently tried use to use to block arrows, as stupid as that may be.
Windham Law officer: mmm.....Whom do we know that matches such a description?
Peasant: You guys talking about Gutts, one of the most famous persons in Midland, captain of the Hawks Raiders, whose fame is only inferior to Griffith's , the white hawk? You know, the person every single peasant in Midland could positively identify, because he's so famous? He's very famous you know, so very famous. He wields a gigantic sword, and has the unusual habit of trying to stop armor-piercing bolts with his cloak. Which is one fo the reasons he's so famous. I just wish I could be as muscular as he is, and always wear black T-shirts like he does. That way I could also be famous.
Windham Law officer: Silence! You dare talk to me, a member of the nobility, in such a casual manner? I will have you capped, and exercise my rights as nobleman to taste your wife and daughters!
Peasant: Oh, it's alright, I never had any balls to begin with. My son abandoned me because of that.
He said the wanted to be a swordsman, like Gutts, a very famous person he idolizes. Because he's so famous.
(The peasant is taken away by the brutal team of guards the law officer always keeps around himself, leaving only weak, tinfoil-instead -of-iron armored guards to actually enforce the law)
Assistant: Sir, as impertinent as that scoundrel was, he may have had a point. Why don't we interrogate some members of the Band of the Hawk, just to check the whereabouts of their Raider's captain the night of the crime?
Windham Law officer: No need for that nostaW, I already solved this crime! the culprit is none other that....PEDOBEAR!

[spoiler]Image

(totally accurate portrayal of how it happened)[/spoiler]
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Well, in the guards defence it was night time, so I doubt anyone (anyone who survived, anyway) got all that good a look at Griffith. As for the weapon, it's not as if Guts is the only one to wield a huge weapon/sword in this series, we say plenty of others. The biggest advantage Griffith and Guts had, though, was that this occured right after an attempt by "Chudar to assassinate Princess Charlotte" and given their position in the royal power structure it would make a lot of sense for Chudar to kill Julius and his son. Whereas Griffith...would seem to have no reason at all to kill him, and has always been loyal to Midland. At least from an outsiders perspective...
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

not sure what that is, but it would be fun to watch as a cosplay
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Istvan wrote:Well, in the guards defence it was night time, so I doubt anyone (anyone who survived, anyway) got all that good a look at Griffith. As for the weapon, it's not as if Guts is the only one to wield a huge weapon/sword in this series, we say plenty of others.
Yeah.....no. No one else ever uses anything that could possibly resemble Gutts's sword.

Just look at it. We are seeing a very famous person, who uses a very distinct weapon, running around in the middle of what I presume was one of the most guarded castles in Midland, all this in the presence of many, many guards.
And you are telling me Foss, a minister of state, wouldn't be interested in investigating who killed Julius? Just by making it public he could have destroyed Griffith, or at least seriously damaged his reputation, assuming Gutts, when captured, declared he had done this whole thing out of his own initiative.
~Diogenes of Sinope
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Welcome to suspension of disbelief at work.
tsubaimomo
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by tsubaimomo »

No one would dare accuse Guts of such a thing - they were much too scared!
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Rolos wrote:
Istvan wrote:Well, in the guards defence it was night time, so I doubt anyone (anyone who survived, anyway) got all that good a look at Griffith. As for the weapon, it's not as if Guts is the only one to wield a huge weapon/sword in this series, we say plenty of others.
Yeah.....no. No one else ever uses anything that could possibly resemble Gutts's sword.

Just look at it. We are seeing a very famous person, who uses a very distinct weapon, running around in the middle of what I presume was one of the most guarded castles in Midland, all this in the presence of many, many guards.
And you are telling me Foss, a minister of state, wouldn't be interested in investigating who killed Julius? Just by making it public he could have destroyed Griffith, or at least seriously damaged his reputation, assuming Gutts, when captured, declared he had done this whole thing out of his own initiative.
I seem to recall that Zodd used a sword that was pretty similar to Guts' sword, and although I can't recall anyone else off the top of my head who uses a sword quite like that, there were plenty of other people who used weapons of comparable size. I see no reason to assume that just because we didn't see any of the others, no one else used a sword of that dimension. And at night, in a chaotic fight, it wouldn't be surprising (to those interogating the guards) if the dimensions of the oponent and his weapon were larger in the guards' minds than in reality (especially since this would make them look less bad for failing to stop him...). And Foss probably did guess that Griffith was behind the assassination, but he (quite wisely in my opinion) didn't put forth the idea, because it would have been counter-productive. Remember, as mentioned above all of this occurs right after an attempt by "Chudar" to kill Princess Charlotte, in which Griffith is almost killed defending her. Of course everyone assumes Chudar was behind the assassination. You want to try to convince them that the war hero Griffith, who seemingly has nothing to gain from it assassinated Julius? Putting that idea forth without any major proof (no one actually saw Guts' face, and it being night time casts doubt on what they did see) would only make Foss look like someone who was jealous of Griffith's reputation trying to attack him. Especially since the king trusted Griffith and held him in high regard. As a final point, bear in mind that all of this (as I recall) happened before Guts killed a hundred men, so he wasn't truly famous yet. Oh, he was hardly obscure, but he also probably wasn't yet the first face to leap to mind when you said "wields a huge sword" to someone in Midland.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

You are thinking like a politician. I'm looking at it like a detective.
Whom do we know in the vicinity who could use a sword of enormous proportions, such as the one that very clearly caused this wounds* ?
Mister A, B and C.
Now, Mr B doesn't exist, because there is no one in Midland who could use such a big weapon, excepting Zodd (in whose existence few people actually believe).
Mr C, an imaginary creature we, for some reason, assume exists, has a perfectly valid alibi. He spent that night with his family.
Most members of the band of the Hawk, after a casual interrogation, admitted to have seen Mr A (Gutts) enter their common quarters while covered in blood and mud that night. This is reported to have happened approximately one hour after the murder of Julius and co. He also failed to report to a tactical exercise he was supposed to attend at the hour of the crime.
Regardless of his motivation, all the circumstances point him as the culprit.
Luckily, of course, the Habeas Corpus protects him from prosecution without evidence, right?
No, wait, it doesn't. Midland is an absolute monarchy. Oh....

*An axe is out of question. Some of the deceased were stabbed, and axes can't be used to stab.

And now for something completely different:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR1gCSO9 ... feature=iv

This video reminds me why women are needed in the world. Without their boring "level-headedness" and "common sense" we would kill ourselves in an uncontrollable storm of fire, steel and raving (yet awesome) insanity in a matter of weeks.
~Diogenes of Sinope
turkey
Found the Edit button

Post by turkey »

:c
I miss my man Guts...
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

When were women considered to be 'level-headed' and to have 'common-sense'? I thought the old norm was that women were ruled by their emotions and therefore their insanity was just accepted.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Rolos doesn't realize there aren't that many girls he can impress with that comment here.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Don't ask me why, but as far as I know, women have a tendency to take less risks than men. Less AWESOME risks.
Which is probably why I have yet to meet a single "awesome" woman. Interesting may be, but not awesome.
They also lack the rare but vital "bad-ass" factor.
"Don't do it, it's suicide!" or "Are you fucking retarded? You are gonna kill yourself!" or "That's never going to work!" are phrases I associate with the female gender.
Call me sexist if you want, but it's the truth.

Pd: Why would I want to impress women on the Internet? It's not like I can touch them. Or, assuming I can start a non-physical relation, there are no women in the Internet, only dudes, gay dudes, confused dudes and the very, very confused dudes.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

The scary thing is, the sword in that video is actually smaller (both width and thickness) than the Dragonslayer. Still really awesome, though.
Rolos wrote:You are thinking like a politician. I'm looking at it like a detective.
Whom do we know in the vicinity who could use a sword of enormous proportions, such as the one that very clearly caused this wounds* ?
Mister A, B and C.
Now, Mr B doesn't exist, because there is no one in Midland who could use such a big weapon, excepting Zodd (in whose existence few people actually believe).
Mr C, an imaginary creature we, for some reason, assume exists, has a perfectly valid alibi. He spent that night with his family.
Most members of the band of the Hawk, after a casual interrogation, admitted to have seen Mr A (Gutts) enter their common quarters while covered in blood and mud that night. This is reported to have happened approximately one hour after the murder of Julius and co. He also failed to report to a tactical exercise he was supposed to attend at the hour of the crime.
Regardless of his motivation, all the circumstances point him as the culprit.
But why would our putative investigator even be looking at Guts (or other local figures) if he assumed that it was a Chudar assassin. Rather, he'd be investigating the roads, inns, etc. for how the assassin might have snuck in or out, and probably would assume (not unreasonably) that the assassin didn't hang around after kill Julius, but immediatly tried to get out of the area.
beerbottlejoe
imanewbie

Post by beerbottlejoe »

And now for something completely different:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR1gCSO9 ... feature=iv
Someone should get that guy a welding mask.
Safety first, man.
thepeaguy
notanewb

Post by thepeaguy »

This wait for the next chapter is getting unbearable. :(
turkey
Found the Edit button

Post by turkey »

still waiting god damm, hurry it up muira
Vancore
imanewbie

Post by Vancore »

Give Miura some time, been awhile since he drew guts in action, he needs his time to get it right.