The manga vs. the TV series

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Berserk manga or Berserk animation?

The Manga, Miura's original work > all
83%
The Animation, animated Berserk = g0d
17%

Total votes: 162

Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Manga all the way, even if they made a second season of Berserk nothing and I mean nothing would top the amount of side, and back story that the manga covers. Even if you wanted to compare the golden age of the manga to the anime there is so much more in the manga that there is no comparison. Thats what I think, long live Berserk!!!! :twisted:
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I havent watched the anime more than the begining but the problem was i saw it after the manga and i was disgusted how bad they looked compared to manga and how they changed the story, i didnt wanna watch anymore.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
RedEyes
n00b Smasher

Post by RedEyes »

I really hope that they at least make a second season of the anime. Although I prefer manga over anime, this doesn't mean that I'm not going to watch and like the anime :)
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

They might make an OVA which is much better than making a normal anime which would put pressure on Miura to work faster which isnt good.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

RedEyes wrote:I really hope that they at least make a second season of the anime.
They would have to make helluva lot of patching and censoring to make the rest of the story TV-fit.
akari
Found the Edit button

Post by akari »

Anime was great. Lots of people start to read manga cause of it - that's the best proof!

Manga is better, because the story is bigger and much more complicated ( I'll never forget that scene where King starts to sodomize Charlotte. It was like... WTF :shock: ?? ), but anime gives some extras that manga will never give. Like voices. Caska's voice was simply incredible!!

..........!!
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

ya, the anime gives certain characters a better part, sucha s the leader of the blue whales or whatever thy were called. i love him in the anime
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

Adon? I was hoping all through the anime that Guts would rip him to shreds, but in the end he had a more ridiculous death...beaten by a woman he looked down upon all through the story.
Iemander
imanewbie

Post by Iemander »

Well just comparing Golden Age with the anime, I'm going with the anime. Imo, more doesn't equal better.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

quantity > quality

i think 10,000,000 chinese troops could beat an army of 1...
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

I think this thread could be re- named "Would you rather watch or read Berserk"
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
Iemander
imanewbie

Post by Iemander »

MrFelony wrote:quantity > quality

i think 10,000,000 chinese troops could beat an army of 1...
haha

Well, if those chinese troops sucked so bad they were unable to move. Or how about all those chinese troops being stupid enough to deliberately jump on every grenade/bomb/falling brindge on the way.

I think 1 guy could win vs 10 000 000 "defensive suicidal" troops too.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

not unless he had several atomic weapons, i would think he would probably die of exhaustion or starvation before he killed them all. but most likely he would catch a disease from all the rotting corpses.
evilester_me
This is my new home

Post by evilester_me »

dos.azn wrote:no skull knight, no wyald, and the cliffiest of cliffhanger endings.
I agree

I thought that the anime's ending wasnt too bad, but I still like the manga series more. The music in the anime was nice and I liked the voice casting for the Japanese audio (Dub sucked...naturally). But the reason why I like the manga more is becasue there are certain scenes that make Guts and Griffith more likeable. Like when Gats was little and when Griffith is talking to Guts before the assasination.
The_Oringial
imanewbie

Post by The_Oringial »

I have to side with the anime for the same reason everyone else does: the use of voice acting and sound effects does a better job of establising a dark tone better the manga can. As for the artwork, I though it looked just fine. I like the old school look some animes from the early to mid 90's had. Although, I never really got what was up with the color of Gut's skin in the first episode.
ShinjiG
imanewbie

Post by ShinjiG »

They're both good enough for me. While they did leave out several important things in the anime, so perhaps the manga up by a small margin.
akari
Found the Edit button

Post by akari »

Iemander wrote:Well just comparing Golden Age with the anime, I'm going with the anime. Imo, more doesn't equal better.
But in that case. Manga == more AND better in the same time!!
Just to clarify :wink:

..........!!
BiQ
imanewbie

Post by BiQ »

Actually.. even if I had to compare the first 13 volumes of manga and TV series, I'd still pick the manga. Then again, I don't really watch that much any anime, I'm just a manga-type guy, I guess...

Anyways, the berserk anime is still very good. And that's where I encountered this whole thing the first time, from 3rd-generation VHS fansubs... (today I have the DVDs, of course)
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Well, really it’s almost like comparing two different genres. Of course anime is going to be better in the sense of actual sound and animation. However, I still think the manga is better. The anime had a lot of still-frames, most of which can already be found in the manga. When the anime was in full motion, it was great. I didn’t like the crappy Adon filler though, and I think the missing elements of the manga were better. The manga is darker and even deeper in my opinion. I’m only comparing the first 13 volumes of course, but I still think the manga is better. It depends on what you’re going for though, so to each their own. However, I will still say that there were subtle scenes in the manga, that were over-looked in the slight manipulation of the anime…and these scenes gave even deeper insight to the true nature of the characters. Kind of like the way Griffith reacted during the escape, and then during the fight with Wylde. *shrugs*
TheDrizzit
Beware my tactical spam

Post by TheDrizzit »

I just re-read the first few volumes of the manga (up to when Guts returns to the Hawks) and is it just me? Or is that battle where we first see Adon (i nthe anime) not even in the manga?? It really confused the hell out of me after I finished. Hehe I didn't even notice while I was reading.
That's right!! Another pointless post by me bitches!!! HA!
Khelegond
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Khelegond »

Yes, it isn't there. They don't show in the Manga the battle for the taking of the river. Adon first appears on the battle where Casca is PMSing.

Since I don't like him, I couldn't care less. He should be the "comic relief", but I find Puck much better in that department ;)

Speaking of wich, I was re-reading the last episodes, and I almost cry from laughing when Puck is feeding Casca (Farnese has left), and Casca gets him on the soup and ... suck his head...the face in puck is just priceless...

Cheers,

Khelegond
Sortep
n00b eater

Post by Sortep »

Khelegond wrote:I think comparing them is unfair.

i agree with this particular statement.... i believe both rock undeniably but can't be compared... i'm partial to the manga... i know people partial to the anime for the golden age arc...but its really apples and oranges... though both again... kick supreme ass
Bow to Golbez
evilester_me
This is my new home

Post by evilester_me »

A lot of people use that phrase "it's like comparing apples and oranges"

but I like oranges more than apples anyways...so you can still compare them
:wink:
Sortep
n00b eater

Post by Sortep »

oranges are better than apples but apple juice is better than orange juice... so i'm afraid my logic may not hold up... but i still beleive both are amazing and it kind of dims their individual light to try and consolidate them under a comparison
Bow to Golbez
Necromancer
Dirty Sennin

Post by Necromancer »

Sortep wrote:oranges are better than apples but apple juice is better than orange juice... so i'm afraid my logic may not hold up... but i still beleive both are amazing and it kind of dims their individual light to try and consolidate them under a comparison
In my opinion oranges are better in both. But comparing them is still not good, you need both because of different vitamins.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein