Berserk Chapter: 284

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Lord Rae
Mastered PM

Post by Lord Rae »

42ndEndOfTheWorld wrote:
lon3vvolf wrote:Sweetness! Thank you EG :thumb:
Blah, looks like Griffith has another puppet, and her name is Lady Charlotte Beatrix Marie Rhody Windam, queen of Midland....
It's strange, but I think it's the first time in Berserk someone has stated his full name. So far we only knew characters' first names.
nah we got a few full names when we met Farnaze's (crap I bet I butchered that spelling) family when she went to them...

oh and I downloaded on the first day but I forgot to say the usual thanks to the EG team... Berserk always looks the best out of all the manga I download and I know its all your hard work that makes it so.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

TEH NOES, I missed it.

Well, now two days late, Go EG!!
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

TheDrizzit wrote:It makes me wonder if the first part of the series when you see Guts in the town (and he fights the Snake Baron), when the guys in the tavern are saying that things have gotten bad since Griffith became King...makes me wonder if that part still hasn't re-attatched yet and the Guts we see there is still a "future" Guts. Sure it didn't look like he had the armor...but who knows...he may have not activated it yet or Muira hadn't thought up the armor yet.

Got me...
While it is possible that Griffith make become King, that anime episode was not in any way canonical to the manga. That remark was just in the anime only. Guts has already defeated the Snake Baron in the manga in the first volume, after meeting Puck.

What Griffith needs right now is not the resources of the nobles, but rather their support. If Griffith wants to rule Midland, he needs to unite it as one whole country without scattering it. As Istvan said, Griffith is now engaged to Charlotte, he has to maintain the aura of superiority, because his ranking far surpasses the other nobles. They can disagree all they want, but Charlotte is nevertheless, the queen of the defeated country, and in dire times like this, they need a monarch and/or a figurehead to look up to, in order to reunite and rebuild the country.

It does surprise me that Griffith had this entire scenario planned. I never would have seen it coming, I have forgotten about Charlotte's position as her role seemed to be washing clothes and dishes for the Hawks. I didn't think that Griffith would use her as an icon so soon, but I guess that since he declared all out war with the Kushan, he'll need to muster whatever support and blessing he needs in order to fuel his agenda.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Khelegond
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Khelegond »

Eldo wrote:What Griffith needs right now is not the resources of the nobles, but rather their support. If Griffith wants to rule Midland, he needs to unite it as one whole country without scattering it. As Istvan said, Griffith is now engaged to Charlotte, he has to maintain the aura of superiority, because his ranking far surpasses the other nobles. They can disagree all they want, but Charlotte is nevertheless, the queen of the defeated country, and in dire times like this, they need a monarch and/or a figurehead to look up to, in order to reunite and rebuild the country.
Now that rises a little paralel. And that can shed some light on some old doubts we had... what if he's following the same way that Gaiseric / Skullknight (assuming they're both the same) did? To unite all of Midland?

I'm curious now, what kind of things might have happened with SK...

Anyway, yes I know - Stupid Theories is that way... ;)
EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

Eldo wrote:What Griffith needs right now is not the resources of the nobles, but rather their support. If Griffith wants to rule Midland, he needs to unite it as one whole country without scattering it. As Istvan said, Griffith is now engaged to Charlotte, he has to maintain the aura of superiority, because his ranking far surpasses the other nobles. They can disagree all they want, but Charlotte is nevertheless, the queen of the defeated country, and in dire times like this, they need a monarch and/or a figurehead to look up to, in order to reunite and rebuild the country.
Of the nobles, the meeting I anticipate the most is with Minister Foss; I can't wait to see his reaction to Griffith's return. A few volumes back, he had just made his way into Windham, which coincidently, will be the spot where the Kushan and the Hawks finally settle things. Foss is all too familiar with Griffith's tactics, as he too played a part in assassinating the then queen. I suppose this could work both for and against Griffith, but Foss is, after all, terrified of him, and I think the minister will have little choice but to ally with (become a tool for) Griffith.
42ndEndOfTheWorld
This is my new home

Post by 42ndEndOfTheWorld »

EnglishJim wrote:
Of the nobles, the meeting I anticipate the most is with Minister Foss; I can't wait to see his reaction to Griffith's return. A few volumes back, he had just made his way into Windham, which coincidently, will be the spot where the Kushan and the Hawks finally settle things. Foss is all too familiar with Griffith's tactics, as he too played a part in assassinating the then queen. I suppose this could work both for and against Griffith, but Foss is, after all, terrified of him, and I think the minister will have little choice but to ally with (become a tool for) Griffith.
Foss is right now very dangerous, because he can tell Charlotte all about Queen assassination. I doubt that she would be all that happy if she realizes that Griffith killed her mother. The smartest thing Griffith can do now is to get rid of Foss immediately. Damn, he should have killed him back in Golden Age, not rely upon his awesome ability to control people so much.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

HEH, Griffith is the BAD guy, don't root for him!!

Edit: :roll:

Root all you want. He's better than Kushan and Midland.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

The only thing that I am rooting Griffith to do is plung the world into darkness so that everyone will be like "dude Griffith sucks" and then Guts Comes along an gives him that be-heading he as always deserved... well maybe not always deserved but pretty close.
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Foss is right now very dangerous, because he can tell Charlotte all about Queen assassination. I doubt that she would be all that happy if she realizes that Griffith killed her mother. The smartest thing Griffith can do now is to get rid of Foss immediately. Damn, he should have killed him back in Golden Age, not rely upon his awesome ability to control people so much.
I doubt Foss would do any such thing. First, of course, he couldn't do so without admitting his own role in the assassination, which would be foolish. Second, even more, I think he's too terrified of Griffith to do so. As Griffith said at the time, when a person feels true terror towards someone, their only choice is to destroy that person, or submit completely to that person. Foss tried to destroy Griffith, and Griffith utterly and effortlessly dominated him, crushing his will completely. I doubt he can even really consider opposing Griffith anymore, because he's been broken. That's why Griffith left him alive at the time, because he was no longer a threat and could still be useful.
42ndEndOfTheWorld
This is my new home

Post by 42ndEndOfTheWorld »

Istvan wrote:
I doubt Foss would do any such thing. First, of course, he couldn't do so without admitting his own role in the assassination, which would be foolish. Second, even more, I think he's too terrified of Griffith to do so. As Griffith said at the time, when a person feels true terror towards someone, their only choice is to destroy that person, or submit completely to that person. Foss tried to destroy Griffith, and Griffith utterly and effortlessly dominated him, crushing his will completely. I doubt he can even really consider opposing Griffith anymore, because he's been broken. That's why Griffith left him alive at the time, because he was no longer a threat and could still be useful.
That was true in Golden Age, but now things have changed a bit. He haven't seen Griffith for a while and I am pretty sure that his terror have turned into hate and envy since then. For all Griffith knows, Fross has turned into a venomous snake, ready to bite. I am pretty sure aristocrats hate Griffith even more, so Foss admitting his own role in assassination would not be a problem, at this point no one has anything to gain by punishing Foss. I just think that, right now, Foss is the only person who can really harm Griffith, even more than Guts can, all he needs to do is tell Charlotte his story. She might not believe him at first but some other events might eventualy persuade her. I think that, right now, Charlotte is only Griffith's weak point. And don't forget, Foss is the only one, besides Guts who have seen Griffith's true nature, smiling innocently like a child while people were burning alive.
EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

42ndEndOfTheWorld wrote:That was true in Golden Age, but now things have changed a bit. He haven't seen Griffith for a while and I am pretty sure that his terror have turned into hate and envy since then. For all Griffith knows, Fross has turned into a venomous snake, ready to bite. I am pretty sure aristocrats hate Griffith even more, so Foss admitting his own role in assassination would not be a problem, at this point no one has anything to gain by punishing Foss. I just think that, right now, Foss is the only person who can really harm Griffith, even more than Guts can, all he needs to do is tell Charlotte his story. She might not believe him at first but some other events might eventualy persuade her. I think that, right now, Charlotte is only Griffith's weak point. And don't forget, Foss is the only one, besides Guts who have seen Griffith's true nature, smiling innocently like a child while people were burning alive.
Foss has always been out for himself (he is a politician), and he has nothing to gain by revealing the truth of the former queen's death; he knows it would almost certainly guarantee his own. If he did confess to Charlotte, there is little evidence, so it would be his word against Griffith's and as we all know, Charlotte is besotted with her now "mine betrothed". On the off chance that Foss came out on top, he would be found out as a traitor to the monarchy and executed for treason. If not, he would meet a worse fate at the hands of the apostles. No, I think Foss realises how futile it is to oppose Griffith, and it would be in his best interest to side with him should the opportunity arise. Foss is well aware of Griffith's ambitions and the ability to accomplish them, maybe he thinks he could benefit from that.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

As well, if Griffith terrified him before, think about how much more terrifying (and awe inspiring, of course) he'd find the new Griffith. Leaving all the reasons he probably wouldn't do it, though, can you imagine Griffith being so incompetant as to let Foss manage to get a one-on-one meeting with Charlotte? She is in the middle of his army, after all, and totally willing to follow his guidence. I just don't see Foss being a real problem.
travla
imanewbie

s

Post by travla »

Foss isn't the minister anymore and when that was explained, he seemed to have become a neutral man concerning anything hapening in the castle's court. and by the way the guy has a daughter so he won't open is mouth and risk gettin her involved . case closed
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

Brainpiercing wrote:HEH, Griffith is the BAD guy, don't root for him!!

Edit: :roll:

Root all you want. He's better than Kushan and Midland.
The order of rootingness should be:
Guts and crew, Griffith and his army [Zodd specifically :D ], the other nobles, the pope and that army, samurais in Japan, God Hand, and the Kushan.
EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

travla wrote:Foss isn't the minister anymore and when that was explained, he seemed to have become a neutral man concerning anything hapening in the castle's court. and by the way the guy has a daughter so he won't open is mouth and risk gettin her involved . case closed
Not quite. There are much safer places a "neutral man" could be at the moment than Midland's capital, especially for an ex-minister. Ganishka has made it the main stronghold for his invading army, so Foss wouldn't risk being there without good reason, we'll just have to wait and see what that is.
Istvan wrote:As well, if Griffith terrified him before, think about how much more terrifying (and awe inspiring, of course) he'd find the new Griffith. Leaving all the reasons he probably wouldn't do it, though, can you imagine Griffith being so incompetant as to let Foss manage to get a one-on-one meeting with Charlotte? She is in the middle of his army, after all, and totally willing to follow his guidence. I just don't see Foss being a real problem.
I was thinking more long-term. For Foss to confront Griffith openly at such an early stage would be a mistake, he might as well just write his name in a Death Note. Still, he knows what Griffith is really about, and I think there'll come a time when that knowledge may cause problems (assuming he isn't dead). Otherwise, there wouldn't be much point in re-introducing him to the series.

Moving on...
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Still, he knows what Griffith is really about, and I think there'll come a time when that knowledge may cause problems (assuming he isn't dead). Otherwise, there wouldn't be much point in re-introducing him to the series.
Considering that even the human Griffith could easily see through him and outmanuever him, I doubt he'd ever be able to cause problems. As for reintroducing him, there could be many reasons, just like the other nobles. He might even become one of Griffith's supporters. We'll have to wait and see.
Moving on...
Works for me, what do you suggest?
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

EnglishJim wrote: For Foss to confront Griffith openly at such an early stage would be a mistake, he might as well just write his name in a Death Note.
:LOL:

Anyway I want to know what happened to Owen's Lord Ras.. something something you guy know who I am talking about right?
Chaos_Wanderer
Found the Edit button

Post by Chaos_Wanderer »

Anyway I want to know what happened to Owen's Lord Ras.. something something you guy know who I am talking about right?
I was under the impression he was still in Midland somewhere leading a resistance.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

You mean sir Laban? Yeah, he's been missing since the assault on the castle of Midland.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

Yeah, it's Lord Raban. He actually met with Foss in Windham, where a few nobles were gobbled up by crocodile people (controlled by Kushan sorcerers). He survived thanks to Locus, but I don't recall seeing him beyond there.
Istvan wrote:
EnglishJim wrote:Moving on...
Works for me, what do you suggest?
How about... I wonder what makes Griffith so confident he can defeat Ganishka in Windham, even though he claimed that he can't harm the emperor in recent chapters...
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

I dont remember him saying he cant hurt him... also we just wanted to show off for the nobles and tell the emperor that a new top dog is in town so go home and wait for him to evicte you ass. And what makes him so sure that you can hurt him, well he is Griffith and he is like God or something.
EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

Sandman wrote:I dont remember him saying he cant hurt him... also we just wanted to show off for the nobles and tell the emperor that a new top dog is in town so go home and wait for him to evicte you ass. And what makes him so sure that you can hurt him, well he is Griffith and he is like God or something.
I just wanted to change the subject. :P

Anyways, when Ganishka is grounded, Griffith says, "Certainly, my sword cannot reach you... We cannot capture you, who can change your shape into mist". It doesn't actually imply that Griffith can't harm Ganishka, but it doesn't really say otherwise either.
Khelegond
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Khelegond »

I think he merely means that "I cannot, in my current form, hurt you. I'm passing as a noble knight, after all. So, let's go to Windham, where no one is sane and is full of demons, where I'll use my limitless power to shatter your sorry ass".

Or something along those lines :)
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

He was deffenitly playing with his emotions... I hope Griffith goes Femto on his ass :twisted: You now who I didnt see in the battle was Mule and Phycic girl, I wonder if there still with the pope?? or did they return after that they met with him?
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

They just met with the pope the night before, and we don't really know exactly where that was. It's entirely possible that (what with the pope being an old man and so needing to travel slowly) they haven't had time to return yet.