I'm probably going to stop buying Berserk after vol. 13.

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Gattsblackfalcon
This is my new home

Post by Gattsblackfalcon »

that's the only i could do too , the only thing i could say its if you don't want to continue with Berserk then why you make a thread to post and say that Berserk is crap ( man almost everyone here loves it ) .
EDIT: the stupid part ( i don't have the right to call anyone here like that ).
Last edited by Gattsblackfalcon on Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ultra Berserk fan , Gatts wanna be . Image and EvilDmitri rocks ftw.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Heh, I want you to pay close attention to the difference between the quality of my rant, and Mr. Satori's here, Femto. Then, next time you even begin to consider making a subtle comment implying I'm a fanboy, just remember this guy.

Oh, and for the record, just because I layed into Femto, that doesn't give the right for n00bs to come out of nowhere and start spouting bullshit at him either. BTW, the fact that Sephiroth looks cool and has a big sword is probably the least important thing about the guy. :roll:

Doing the story with no one other than Gatts and Griffith would be pretty fucking lame. However the rest of you guys sound the same way with your complaining about the rest of Gatts' crew. They're quality members, and obviously intended to be the main cast. It's like you guys don't want the story to evolve, and that's lame. BTW, in case you guys haven't noticed, this is a fantasy story, and has always been intended as such. Fantasy is probably one of the most written about genres ever, so of course it's going to bare similarities to other stories. Hell, everything in the world has already been done. Do you have any fucking idea how hard it is to actually conceive of a single concept which hasn't already been done before? So get over it already. Anime/manga has never really been about incredibly original plots. It's all about execution, and that's something I feel that Berserk has always been superb on. The execution hasn't decreased at all. Yeah, the story may have become very slightly more generic, but the execution is on a masterful level, just as it's always been. In the end, that's really what's important. I mean, it'd be different if it degenerated into nothing but generic crap, but it's not even close to that.
Last edited by Starnum on Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

I ask to Teh God, banhammer on Satori and give us back Phoenix.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

No, just get rid of both of them. Although, this is kind of a troll thread, and if hadn't been someone like Femto who had posted it, I would've locked it as soon as I seen it. However, I'd like to hear some of the other mods opinions on this first.
Last edited by Starnum on Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

oh c'mon, when was the last time we had a newbie with some serious balls? :twisted:
Satori
imanewbie

Post by Satori »

I know I said Id only write one post but.... I lied....
Your right Starnum, you did inspire me to write that but not in the way you think, your placid, pussyfooted aproach was just not getting the point across enough (no offense) cause to me that shit is sakralige, dont get me wrong I have nothing but respect for you guys ...but trying to reason with someone that wrote that is beyond me, I know my typing torrets and my hatefilled inhibitions of anyone who is as opinionated as much as me may have seemed vulgar....to some.....I guess....anywho i guess getting banned, /cry, I kept my mouth shut for so long cause and with all my selfcontrol I just new this would happen! Now I'll have to go visit shade to get my berserk.....I hate that fucker....

Sun coming up...I hate that fucker even more!
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

He I was just kidding, I couldn't care less. But I'ld rather have no balls newcomers. Or girls. We need more girlzzz.

More seriously, the only reason this thread is appropriate is because Berserk is reaching a long-awaited turning point. So making some kind of a "state of Berserk" (don't know how to phrase it) thread could be interesting, as some peoples seems to have something to say. It's legitimate at this point. Maybe changing the title, and we might get some interesting conversation.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Starnum wrote:Heh, I want you to pay close attention to the difference between the quality of my rant, and Mr. Satori's here, Femto. Then, next time you even begin to consider making a subtle comment implying I'm a fanboy, just remember this guy.

Oh, and for the record, just because I layed into Femto, that doesn't give the right for n00bs to come out of nowhere and start spouting bullshit at him either. BTW, the fact that Sephiroth looks cool and has a big sword is probably the least important thing about the guy. :roll:

Doing the story with no one other than Gatts and Griffith would be pretty fucking lame. However the rest of you guys sound the same way with your complaining about the rest of Gatts' crew. They're quality members, and obviously intended to be the main cast. It's like you guys don't want the story to evolve, and that's lame. BTW, in case you guys haven't noticed, this is a fantasy story, and has always been intended as such. Fantasy is probably one of the most written about genres ever, so of course it's going to bare similarities to other stories. Hell, everything in the world has already been done. Do you have any fucking idea how hard it is to actually conceive of a single concept which hasn't already been done before? So get over it already. Anime/manga has never really been about incredibly original plots. It's all about execution, and that's something I feel that Berserk has always been superb on. The execution hasn't decreased at all. Yeah, the story may have become very slightly more generic, but the execution is on a masterful level, just as it's always been. In the end, that's really what's important. I mean, it'd be different if it degenerated into nothing but generic crap, but it's not even close to that.

I woulndt like Berserk as much if it was only Guts and Griffith.

But still i dont like this crew cause they dont bring much storywise.

Farnese and Serpico was very interesting when they hunted Guts and when they get to know him. Now Serpico is just there to fight along,he doesnt even speak to Guts. Farnese just stands there goes "woow"

Puck is as expected and the witch is atleast useful to Guts.

If Muira did a better story in next arc with the hole Elfhelm, i wont mind this group at all,i might even like them.

But this arc showed how uninteresting they are.

I dont hate the characters,just dont like how they written.

If Berserk hadnt been as amazing as it has been most of the time this group would bother but right now Muira can do alot better.

The story being original or not has never bothered me with mangas that arent half good as Berserk, why would it bother me now...
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Satori's posts just made me laugh.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Made me giggle too cause he dont know who he messed with.

Cant wait to see what Femto writes back.

I was suprised that a noob came out from nowhere and started dissing Femto.

Thats not how you wanna start your stay here ;)
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

lol go easy on the guy. he just LOVES BERSEKS SOOOO MUCH! ;). as long as he goes back to just lurking (after this amusing argument with femto) it's all good imo
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

I didn't quite read it all, but LOOOOOL at Satori.

That was some serious rant, dude. I hope you don't get banned and that Femto makes more threads to piss you off. If just from a comedian point of view that will be seriously good reading.

When I have more time I'll go back and read it again, I promise.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Few things:

- Disliking does not automatically equate to trolling. I've provided what are, to me at least, logical and valid reasons as to Berserk's decline. In fact, I'd say that most here would agree with me, they're just less vocal about it or don't seem to mind as much. I didn't start a thread saying "lol, Berserk sux now, u guys r all idiots for buying it!" you know.

- I've been thinking about stopping at vol. 13 (and starting this thread) for a while now. I don't know if that has anything to do with anything.

- I didn't read past Satori's second paragraph.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Femto wrote:lol, Berserk sux now, u guys r all idiots for buying it!
no ur gay

(+1)
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

This thread is exactly like that, *laughs*. :twisted:
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Femto wrote:- Disliking does not automatically equate to trolling. I've provided what are, to me at least, logical and valid reasons as to Berserk's decline. In fact, I'd say that most here would agree with me, they're just less vocal about it or don't seem to mind as much. I didn't start a thread saying "lol, Berserk sux now, u guys r all idiots for buying it!" you know.
Yeah, that's why I said "kind of". However, it does seem as if some people do have some worth while comments to make about it, so it's fine for now. Although, it could've used a better theme, instead of the "I just bought an HDTV-esque" theme. A new name for the thread, like "The Current State of Berserk" is definitely a good idea. Questioning something is not a bad thing.

Oh, and Satori, no offense, but your post just sounded like a bunch of insane n00b ass ranting. Also, you need to get your own material, all ripping off my college-boy shit, lol. I've known Femto for a long time now, so we can punch each other around if we want. However, you're some freak from out of nowhere, with no cred to speak of. So I have no mercy for you if he decides to start flaming your ass. However, you're getting off easy because Femto is to apathetic to give us any good flames to laugh at. Plus, your weak argument and bizarre statements about who cares about character development and such things, unlike me, really do make you sound like a rabid fanboy. Never a good way to introduce yourself to the forum. However, as long as you chill out and go about your business, I have no reason to worry about you or try to get you banned. Any form of pussy-footing you may have considered my rant on Femto to be, is because I hold some amount of respect for him, because I've know him for so long, and he can be a cool guy when he wants to be. However, I don't know who the hell you are, so treading carefully is probably in your best favor. Yeah, and people who say they're never going to post again, always post again, lol. Anyway, I'm out for now...
Last edited by Starnum on Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I haven't read every single post in this thread (certainly not Satori's) and I just caught this one:
Albator wrote:So making some kind of a "state of Berserk" (don't know how to phrase it) thread could be interesting, as some peoples seems to have something to say.
I made one like that a while ago, it went on for a few pages.

What people don't realize is that my thread has unwillingly caused some Berserk talk.

That's not such a bad thing now, is it?
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

You can't even read all the posts in one of your own threads, what a lazy bum. :P
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Starnum wrote:You can't even read all the posts in one of your own threads, what a lazy bum. :P
With unintelligible stuff like Satori's, can you really blame me?
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Heh, not really.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Femto wrote:I haven't read every single post in this thread (certainly not Satori's) and I just caught this one:
Albator wrote:So making some kind of a "state of Berserk" (don't know how to phrase it) thread could be interesting, as some peoples seems to have something to say.

What people don't realize is that my thread has unwillingly caused some Berserk talk.

Actaully a pretty good thread since there is finaly something new to talk about Berserk.

I mean beteween chapters, we have talked about most of topics that can be talked about.
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

Femto wrote:I haven't read every single post in this thread (certainly not Satori's) and I just caught this one:

That's what I'm saying. I didn't think you did it unwillingly though, but if you say so...
Lord Rae
Mastered PM

Post by Lord Rae »

imho the character development on Guts has been amazing. His struggle with the armor (although unfortunetly happening at the same time as another manga I read had its main character struggling with an "inner demon" of sorts), his change from a loner to a guy willing to have new companions and all that entails (attachment to people, friends, potential loss, ect) as well as teh evolution of his fighting style... he can't just tear loose like he could during the cave slaughter and thats a huge shift for a main character... let alone THE main character.

Isidoro I thought had been pretty well explained. He's a chance for Guts to make sure someone isn't raised like himself. The training, the responsibility of fighting stronger opponents than Guts as a kid that age ever had to, ect... Plus Isidoro is a comic relief type character... he's stolen a bit of puck's thunder but in his fight to free the slaves, his first human kill, the way he stepped up when he has to, ect... He's come a long way from the asshole who first joined guts because he was impressed by the size of his sword.

Farnase has actually attained some usefullness aside from being Caska's protector which will be a nice thing to toss aside if Caska gets healed/fixed soon.

Serpico has over the span of the past volume helped Guts and crew, confronted guts again, and helped again.

Actually the whole crew if you examine the chapters from before the party to the latest one with them getting on the boat to elfhelm has just gone through one of the most physically and emotionally demanding days ever shown in any manga. Serpico fight with guts, tigers, escape from the city, ect ect... huge day... a day worthy of 24's Jack Bauer actually...

Now if they suddenly found themselves in a tournament on Elfhelm I'd probably agree with phemto... but speaking purely about the story I have no worries with the direction or pacing... Its a slow but constant build up... we just got to the tension breaker (the ship) and now we can find out more about the child on the beach, the pope, maybe the Neo Hawks...

We've got tons of options and paths for the story to take now that they're actually on the boat. We could actually not see the crew and Guts for several chapters... it could be a whole volume of stuff while they are on the boat...

Whatever it is and whatever suprises, twists and turns I'll continue to read and enjoy until I feel that the characters are stagnate and uninspired but they continue to be some of the best written and most interesting characters in modern epic storytelling.
Dagda Mor
Mastered PM

Post by Dagda Mor »

Personally, I'm in pretty firm agreement with Starnum. I've found every Berserk story arc fascinating, and one of the main reasons for this is how they vary, thanks in large part to the evolution of the characters. In fact, the least interesting part of the manga (for me) so far was certain segments of the Golden Age arc; although still a fantastic example of storytelling, several parts just didn't hold my interest the way that later arcs did.
the40thieves
imanewbie

Post by the40thieves »

I think the pacing for each volume is amazing overall, granted there parts everyone has an issue with at some point even with the classic 13, hell in the classic 13 I hated the whole sequence with circus freaks in the sewers, it felt like an out of place sequence that didn't need to be there.

However, time has to eslapse to make the story and the meat of series so much more compelling. I mean how boring would of it been if Miura had just completely abandoned the Lost Children arc and went straight to "2 years later Gatts returns to Godo's smith" or even worse "arrives back after rescuing Caska and finds Griffith in the graveyard". Time between each and every major plot event makes those moments so much more powerful. I know this is the very definition of filler, but to me filler is crap content, the content Miura provides adds to story, perhaps not in the overall arc of the series but in subtle meaningful vital to the life of the story.

The new crew will NEVER be liked as much as the old crew, EVER. People gravitate toward the familiar and will resist Gatt's new friends regardless of how much better developed they are compared to the old hawks. You learned nothing about the past of the main casts of the hawks aside from Griffith, Gatts, and Caska.

Where the hell did Rickert come from? We know Corkus was leader of a band of thieves and hates Gatts, Judaea is a jack-of-all trades handy man whom I suspect had a thing for Caska, Pippin is a big gentle giant...Not very developed when you look at the backgrounds of the newer cast who are still being developed, who already have much more depth. ((If your wondering, I'm still more in love with the original band of the hawk)) In fact, if you parallel them with Gatt's new crew, these guys really didn't bring much to the story either if you look at them point for point.

Who knows, maybe something will happen to these characters that we don't like so much that changes everything, maybe we'll be like Gatt's in his appreciation...I certainly didn't appreciate the old band of the hawks until they were gone, I thought seeing there individual deaths wwas heart breaking, but the volumes subsequent to the eclipse I didn't care for them much at all.

The story, I feel, has definitely hit a turning point, the high paced tension of the fight at the city is broken and the crescendo feels like its slowing down again very similar to the slowdown post eclipse, so I expect some plot resolutions to come about in some form soon, especially with the big gap between last chapter and the next release.

Love, the40thieves