Berserk 298 - Unleash Your Demons

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Arcandus
notanewb

Re: Berserk 298 - Unleash Your Demons

Post by Arcandus »

This war is the perfect distraction for Gutts to heal himself and improve his abilities. x)
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Sweet! First thing I'm gonna do after work today is devour the new chapter! Thanks EG! As always, me love you long time XD
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

I couldn't go on the forums until I read the chapter, but I wasn't on my own computer until days after the release. Thanks a million EG!! Though, I have to say, the wait is just so anti climactic, because the only cool thing that happened was that all of the apostles unleashed their demons in front of the civilians, and Griffith obviously can't kill them for seeing the apostles. He is conducting this war to save them afterall. It took Mule a little while to get used to them, so I guess the rest will have to as well. Its just a matter of time before the more unruly apostles get out of Griffith's control, or while still in it, I don't know how Griffith thinks, and go on a rape and murder rampage. In any case Guts is going to have to be the advocate for what is right, in the long run, even if at that moment in time when he has to kill Griffith and the people hate him for it, he's helping them in the end.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Nakadai
imanewbie

Post by Nakadai »

The Herald wrote:I have to say, the wait is just so anti climactic.
Just a necessary evil spawning from doing the story right i'm afraid. When reading in succession with the succeeding chapters to follow, i'm sure it 'll stand out as yet another pinnacle of the preluding experience which generally proceeds scenes of inevitable carnage and significant plot developments; IE the good stuff that we're always so anxiously waiting for.

I agree though, waiting for Miura sucks. :(
Last edited by Nakadai on Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Infini-Tropolis.com
Facade19
Mastered PM

Post by Facade19 »

Could it be plausible that Griffith seeks to be a good emperor/king?
Maybe demons/apostles and humans can live together peacefully after all?
The logic of the world is changing, so there goes the idea that demons must feast on human flesh. Maybe?
Nakadai
imanewbie

Post by Nakadai »

Facade19 wrote:Could it be plausible that Griffith seeks to be a good emperor/king?
It's certainly plausible, and would raise some interesting plot developments and queries such as the ever cliche'd "Do the ends justify the means?". However I personally find it to be unlikely, Griffith has taken things to the upmost extremes to reach his dream utilizing far too demonic an influence while tossing aside much if not all of his former humanity. Griffith always appeared to have a deep seated inner coldness to him, but since his rebirth its increased ten fold. He uses smiles, friendship and relationships as mere tools for his own ambitions. It's quite chilling. For myself, I find this to be among the most interesting of all of Berserks running story lines.
Infini-Tropolis.com
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

I wouldn't think so, only because during the eclipse in which Griffith became Femto, the demons were talking about how Griffith would bring in a new age for demonkind, or something to that extent.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
yupachups
notanewb

Post by yupachups »

5 months i've been waiting for this. !!
Thank you guys !!
i'm Here !!
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Facade19 wrote:Could it be plausible that Griffith seeks to be a good emperor/king?
The logic of the world is changing, so there goes the idea that demons must feast on human flesh. Maybe?
I doubt it. Leaving everything else aside, Femto was created by the "Idea of Evil," whose purpose is to give a reason for human suffering. I doubt it would have created him if it thought he'd bring about an era of peace and happiness. Just doesn't seem to fit.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Istvan wrote:
I doubt it. Leaving everything else aside, Femto was created by the "Idea of Evil," whose purpose is to give a reason for human suffering. I doubt it would have created him if it thought he'd bring about an era of peace and happiness. Just doesn't seem to fit.
That's it right there, give the people hope and then crush it. That's the way to cause a lot of suffering.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, I agree. I just can't believe that Griffith is going to be a good guy after all that, but I'm still waiting to see how he plays it all out.
travla
imanewbie

Post by travla »

i think that griffith is evil and people are gonna suffer slowly. you would assume by the white hair and white aura surrounding him all the time that he is the white hawk of prophecy, here to save peple but when you think about it, he is surrounded by dark forces. guts on the other hand, albeit a mean mofo in is own right, is starting to have white hair
(maybe is armor is going to change again and become white to) and will probly have the help of elves and mages wich you could consider as light type people.i think the people griffith is "saving" now might one day side with guts and then it would be a big clash between the 2 factions.
Gwarrior
imanewbie

Post by Gwarrior »

Glad to see we don't gotta wait a few months for next chapter. :D
This message is brought to you by the Infrequent Posters Union.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

If these demons make all of the people like them, then it's gonna be real hard for Guts to kill em and not make everyone hate him. Tho, i bet they'll revert to their bestial ways and start raping and killing and eating people, and not always in that order (haha, Firefly reference :lol: )
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

less than 2 weeks.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Meh. There wasn't really too much story exposition in this chapter, ne?

But concerning good guy Griffith: I would think that he wouldn't be a tyrannical emperor. Seeing as in his army demons and humans are pretty much equal, I'd say he would build his kingdom the same way. After all, what good is a kingdom if it has no commoners because you destroyed them?
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Aetherfukz wrote:Meh. There wasn't really too much story exposition in this chapter, ne?

But concerning good guy Griffith: I would think that he wouldn't be a tyrannical emperor. Seeing as in his army demons and humans are pretty much equal, I'd say he would build his kingdom the same way. After all, what good is a kingdom if it has no commoners because you destroyed them?
There are plenty of ways to keep the majority of the peasents alive, while still killing large numbers and making the lives of the rest...unpleasent. At least part of the reason for structuring his army as he has is that if he wants to get his country (and he might be aiming for a lot more than Midlands with this), he needs to appear as a "good" person, even a saint/god; once he's the king, and his rule is undisputed, a lot of those constraints go away.

Also, I reiterate: I don't think the Idea of Evil would have created him if it thought that he'd rule in any sort of nice/good way. It just seems to violate everything it stands/exists for.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Griffith could just as well set himself up to look like God's gift to man (again) by letting his demons unleash themselves on the populus, and then the famous ones, like Zodd, start slaughtering the lesser demons. Then tada Griffith is everyone's savior, again.... What I'm interested in is whether he's gonna be happy with just Midland or if he's gonna try to take over the world ... he may just be like Napoleon after all.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I don't think Griffith will be sated with just Midland at this point. He's the overlord of the God Hand, nothing but the whole world will suffice at this point. 8)
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Istvan wrote:
Aetherfukz wrote:Meh. There wasn't really too much story exposition in this chapter, ne?

There are plenty of ways to keep the majority of the peasents alive, while still killing large numbers and making the lives of the rest...unpleasent. At least part of the reason for structuring his army as he has is that if he wants to get his country (and he might be aiming for a lot more than Midlands with this), he needs to appear as a "good" person, even a saint/god; once he's the king, and his rule is undisputed, a lot of those constraints go away.

Also, I reiterate: I don't think the Idea of Evil would have created him if it thought that he'd rule in any sort of nice/good way. It just seems to violate everything it stands/exists for.
Any question to whether Griffith may not be such a bad guy afterall, read over Femto's dialogue with Guts in hell right after the defeat of the count in Volume 3. Now put that into context with what he did during the eclipse. Not too mention sending his entire apostle army after to retrieve the head of the forrest witch.

Even without the Idea of Evil concept, unless Miura has totally decided to take a blind eye to all that Griffith/Femto has done and said in the Volumes leading up to where we are, I find it absurd that people (the reader) might even begin to believe for a moment that Griffith is anything but a munipulative bastard playing out the whole false prophet routine according to some malavolent master plan to achieve his own "kingdom".

And though we have not heard from them in a while, the Godhand are directly responsible for setting everything current in motion. Let's not forget as well Griffith could have easily vanguished the Emperor during their first encounter, thus avoiding the current course of events all together.

Don't forget Slaan's words at the end of the eclipse promising a new age of darkness with the rise of the 5th Godhand. And how now that Ganishka has literally brought hell with him into the world of human kind, what kind of "kingdom" does Femto hope to rule over (a hell on Earth)?

At the same time I don't expect see Griffith unveiling his true intentions anytime soon. Even after the Ganishka event. Yet it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Exactly. Griffith is brilliant and manipulative, so he sees the advantage of seeming nice, but anyone (at least anyone who's seen everything that we, the readers, have seen) who thinks he actually is "good" is deluding themselves.
I don't think Griffith will be sated with just Midland at this point. He's the overlord of the God Hand, nothing but the whole world will suffice at this point. 8)
Absolutely. If all Griffith was going for was the Midlands, then the setup he's established so far was way overkill. The only way all this preparation makes sense is if he's planning to rule a lot more than just the Midlands in the end.
anon
imanewbie

Post by anon »

Shit, Berserk sucks. Miura takes forever, and this story has turned gay. It was sweet to begin with, but it is really gay now. I can't even how long ago it was since I last visited here, nearly forgot and I think I'm just about ready to completely forgot this awful manga if things don't turn around for Gatsu.

RIP Berserk
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

Try to find a better story then, you wont in your pitiful lifetime.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Do we allow heretics in the forum?
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

This is the kind of guy who likes Zatch Bell and thinks its a good piece of work. Compared to other masters of literature, Miura isn't taking all that long. You know Mark Twain took over a decade to finish Huckleberry Fin and now we all know about that. And that's only one book. I'm perfectly content in waiting for Miura, Berserk is well worth it.