Martial Arts

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Re: Martial Arts

Post by halfnhalf »

Starnum wrote:Who, Fedor? Yeah, that guy is a tyrant.

who has been ducking fights. who was the last legit fighter he fought? Mark Hunt, and Hunt came damn close. Fedor is ducking fights, i mean seriously, a BJJ guy raped cro cop and all fedor could do was win a decision.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

You talkin bout Gonzaga? Come now seiously. That was a fluke knockout. No one in there right mind would have thought that Gonzaga was gonna bust out some nuts ass kick on cro cop! It'd be like someone doing the Kamehameha wave against goku.

lol

Starnum: I was referring to Pretty Boy Floyd Mayweather earlier.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Ah, Mayweather, good call. Yeah, I never would have dream that Gonzaga would finish Cro-Cop with a high-kick! That IS like someone using the Kamehame on Goku (which has been done).
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

halfnhalf wrote:Hung Man Cho is a joke... the guy hasnt fought anyone good.

buz you watch MMA now? I mean, your boy, is on fire. No one can stop him.
You're a joke.....may I remind you who he just fought.

I guarantee you he'd have beaten Lesnar if they had fought in K-1 LA, as was scheduled.

Dude is literally a monster and a K-1 champion. He is also an elite in a Korean style martial art similar to Sumo, so he's almost impossible to takedown (being 7'1 close to 400lbs). In his fight against Fedor, Fedor couldn't even budge HMC for the takedown. Both times the fight went to the ground, HMC literally fell onto a full mount. If you follow Fedor over his career, he is the Sambo world-champion (who has tossed around a much bigger Ogawa....a HW Judo world champion), therefore being able to put Fedor on his back (let alone get the full-mount) is a feat onto itself.
halfnhalf wrote:
Starnum wrote:Who, Fedor? Yeah, that guy is a tyrant.

who has been ducking fights. who was the last legit fighter he fought? Mark Hunt, and Hunt came damn close. Fedor is ducking fights, i mean seriously, a BJJ guy raped cro cop and all fedor could do was win a decision.
When Fedor fought Crocop, Crocop was seen as unbeatable at the time. This was arguably the most anticpated bout in the history of MMA. To belittle Fedor for only taking a decision in this fight is beyond asinine.

Fedor is effectively undefeated while competing in the best HW organization in the world for the better part of a decade. Randy Coutore was offered over 3-million dollars (when he had retired from the UFC) by BODOG to fight Fedor, which he passed over to fight Tim Sylvia (who was fresh off back surgery).....So who's dodging who?

Fedor has beaten the living crap out of the current UFC HW Champion Noguiera TWICE, both while Nog was well into his prime....which Nog is clearly no longer in.
Let's put a smile on that face...............
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

I'm talking about the beast Randy Couture, who in his last few bouts, has been just total destruction. I know Fedor is good, he is currently the only one that is undefeated, but honestly, that was 3 years ago. He hasnt fought anyone seriously for awhile now. Until then, that is what i think about him.
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

halfnhalf wrote:Image

hammer fists mayhem, he had him on this. Plus Brock moves fast on the ground.

The gif shows how he got caught, but in the actual fight video, this things comes out of nowhere. But yah Mir is back, took a beating and dealed a beating. What was actually great was that Mir tried for two arm bar attempts, but couldnt do it because, "his arms were way to big."

But the most entertaining fight of the night was the throw.

My bro is into UFC stuff (or just got into it), and he showed me these, not just few clips clips, but the fights. I was first hesitant because despite the fact of me acknowledging that they are seriously the most effectively best fighters I have seen, they are mostly effective and not so much entertaining, dont like ground and pound. But was awed by some of the games he showed me in this gala. Those gifs does no justice to them. Pretty insane seeing someone getting pummeled so much but in seconds outwitting and almost breaking the leg of Lesnar by a quick hold that came out of nowhere. And that Boetsch guy with the throw, impressive to say the least, but not the throw alone, but you have to see how he was aggressively kneeing the shit out of him for a solid minute while staying away from eachother and just blocking all game long (really saving up for insane frenzy of attakcs). Before he threw him, he wasnt just not gun-ho pummeling him, but guarding himself safely and calculating attacking. Apparently it was his debute.

Saw some other fights too, in general impressive fight night, my bro told me they generally are more boring fights and not as much highlights as these. Another memorable one some cude called Lytle seriously fucking up Bradley something in the first few second, to the point he was seriously out of it and delirious, grabbing the ref who was checking up on him like he was his opponent.
Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of the hunt will be(weak) told by the hunter
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

halfnhalf wrote:I'm talking about the beast Randy Couture, who in his last few bouts, has been just total destruction. I know Fedor is good, he is currently the only one that is undefeated, but honestly, that was 3 years ago. He hasnt fought anyone seriously for awhile now. Until then, that is what i think about him.
Randy Coutore has gotten viciously KO'd in 2 of his last 5 fights. With wins over a partially crippled Tim Sylvia, Gabriel Gonzaga who just got pummeled by Fabricio Werdum, and Mike Van Arsdale (who????). Meanwhile Fedor has fought more fighters over that period of time, against better competition. And like I said before, Randy during this time turned down a $3-million payday to fight Fedor. Meanwhile Randy has lost over a 3rd of his fight during his career, while Fedor is undefeated with just as many fights....Yet Fedor's the joke?

Personally I love Randy Coutore, he deserves all the respect in the world. But so does Fedor, if not more.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

Woa, two of those knock outs were because Coture went down in weight. I am going to agree that Fedor is amazing, but recently it just seems that he isnt taking any huge fights. Okay maybe Hong Man Choi was a huge fight, but that guy isnt unstoppable, we have seen him been knocked out before.

All I am saying is that he had two fights in 2007, Matt LINDLAND?!?! that was a joke.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

halfnhalf wrote:Woa, two of those knock outs were because Coture went down in weight. I am going to agree that Fedor is amazing, but recently it just seems that he isnt taking any huge fights. Okay maybe Hong Man Choi was a huge fight, but that guy isnt unstoppable, we have seen him been knocked out before.

All I am saying is that he had two fights in 2007, Matt LINDLAND?!?! that was a joke.
HMC has a chin of granite, but that KO by Mighty Mo was pretty sick. Though I've seen him take shot after shot by the likes of Schilt and LeBanner w/out so much as a flinch. HMC's head is literally the size of an adult midget.

BTW...Sorry, about before. You're obviously a fan....As so am I.

:thumb:
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

true, too bad HMC is too big for Nevada to comission any type of fight. When pride came to america, Butter Bean had to lose a ton of weight for the nevada comission to even sanction the fight.
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

Just seeing some few more old games and such. And I just saw a fighter which I can presumptiously say he is probably the best without needing to see many other fighters. His name is Anderson Sylva, what an impressive mofo, lethal and calculating with his moves, bit sniper-like. Saw some of his games, one against a challenger called Franklin, and in general in his games, no one has come close to him. Quite dominating.
Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of the hunt will be(weak) told by the hunter
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

Anderson Silva has proven himself over the last few title defense fights that he is a dominate fighter in the UFC at 185. Next fight card is Dan Henderson vs Anderson Silva, which honestly will be an amazing fight. Hollywood Dan is a fucking rock, and if there ever is a guy to go strike for strike with Silva, it is Dan.

The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

That was a sick ass submission. But that was a bunch of propaganda, because Chonan was more than in that fight at that point, IMO he was winning. If you watched the fight in its entirety, you see that Chonan was holding his own. Even Bas and Mauro at the time had Chonan winning on their score cards. The submission itself was icing on the cake.

Unfortunately the fight in its entirety is hard to come by.....here's a dwnld of the HL's

http://www.mmalinker.com/dig.php?id=1011

That said Anderson Silva is definitely the hottest and most dominant champion (outside of Fedor 8) ) in MMA at the moment. He is also a really good and humble person, and someone very likeable outside the ring. He is one one of the few people to talk well of his opponents no matter how easily he was able to dispose of them. But he will definitely be put to the test in his upcoming fight, in what should be biggest fight in MMA in years.

The fight will be a toss-up IMO.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

yah it will be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_82

huge fight card, even so that AA is in the prelims.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

halfnhalf wrote:yah it will be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_82

huge fight card, even so that AA is in the prelims.
AA in the prelims is a travesty!
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

This thread should be renamed MMA fanboys instead of martial arts.

I'd get into how MMA is not a martial art, rather a sport but I don't have the time. You want to talk about 'martial arts?' What about katas(forms)? What about the whole philosophical side to it? What about the non-violent self defence only teachings? What about proper stances, weapons, falls? Theres a whole side of 'martial arts' which has nothing to do with 'ground and pound', or knocking someone out. If you disagree you miss the point of what a martial art is supposed to be. And don't get me started on XMA...
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

lon3vvolf wrote:This thread should be renamed MMA fanboys instead of martial arts.

I'd get into how MMA is not a martial art, rather a sport but I don't have the time. You want to talk about 'martial arts?' What about katas(forms)? What about the whole philosophical side to it? What about the non-violent self defence only teachings? What about proper stances, weapons, falls? Theres a whole side of 'martial arts' which has nothing to do with 'ground and pound', or knocking someone out. If you disagree you miss the point of what a martial art is supposed to be. And don't get me started on XMA...
Then we might as well rename the thread "American kids pretend to practice bastardized versions of the marital arts they claim to love" . Somehow that doesn't seem to have as good a ring.

Let's face facts, if you went to Thailand and said "Yeah I studied Muy Thai in America under my instructor John Q. Smith" you'd get laughed out of the country.

My chill pill, let me show it to you.
ImageImage
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

I'm very chill indeed. Just wanted to point it out.

Bas Rutten was one of my fav fighters. King of Pancreas!

The Chinese should have not taught Kawi-Lo anything! lol.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

King of Pancrase....lol

Here's my Bas story.
Couple years back, I shared a drink with Bas at the M.B in Vegas, he actually made it for me....Had a bottle of GreyGoose at his table. He seemed surprised I was able to recognize him and came off seeming very gracious.....and drunk. It was weird because he was hanging out with Mickey Rourke of all people, who had struck up a conversation with my GF and her friends at the time, while we were talking.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Now that's my kind of fight: kick in the groin, elbow to the face, and smack his head on the table "Don't... you... ever... do... this!".
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

lon3vvolf: totally understand where you are coming from. The only thing though is that "martial arts" in the past has never had a useful way of determining how well the art is, except if it is used by a military. Martial arts and the forms has evolved into MMA, and with that a visual way to see the variation, the traditions, and the focus that is required to perform the moves. Before that it was all theory fighter, ala you would often have debates about how Bruce Lee would have beaten Mike Tyson every single time. Now we can see how even if your face is getting wrecked, you can always resort to grappling to submit your opponent.

Tempest: Of course they would think it was a joke, their country was the one that fully imbraced Muay Thai into their culture.

Just comments on peoples post, don't take it too seriously.

btw, in Bas' video he showed how to escape from a full nelson and then to drop the guy on their side. Well i had a drunken fight once (wrong people showed up to the party), and well enough i was put into a full nelson, and took bas' advice. Not gonna say i am the master at it, but the video was some help.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Tempest wrote:My chill pill, let me show it to you.
Seriously dude. I don’t care whether you were just making a point or not. You basically just insulted everyone else in the thread. You make it sound like everyone in the thread but you is a violent meathead “fanboy”. Like we didn’t already know all that shit you said. What, you don’t think that there are MMA fighters that have those same types of principles? Think again. Besides, there’s lots of MMA fighters out there who have mastered single styles as well. There’s nothing wrong with mixing your game up. No one here ever said that all there was to martial arts was hurting people. I've never once cut a person with a sword, and I hope I never have to. That's not why I took it up, I just love the way of the sword, even if it's not the same as it used to be. Heh, I use entertainment & music to vent any violent urges. Also, I’ve always said that mastering a single style is better than just being okay at several. I do believe that violence should be avoided whenever possible, but then again, some guys are just asking for it, heh. Yeah, I’d definitely take a friendly spar over a real fight any day.

Anyway, no big. the Bas Ruten video was cool, I’ve always liked him, seems like a cool guy. That’s pretty sweet that you got to meet and hangout with him Prince. I liked the instructions in the video too. All goodwill and pacifism aside, I believe that if someone is really trying to hurt you, and they pose a serious threat, you do whatever it takes to protect yourself. I’ve strong-armed more than one person and held them until they calmed down, and then simple let them go, but that’s not always an option. Half made a really good point about the issue as well.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Bless you Starnum.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

You guys are fanboys though....
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

Buzkashi wrote:You guys are fanboys though....
go to your hole and cry, this is for the big boys to deal with.

btw this is just me kidding