please talk me out of buying a mustang

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

swallow
notanewb

Post by swallow »

Hey angi, so many reasons why you shouldn't buy a Mustang, the Honda Civic is a better choice, but still not a great one. Sorry Damien, American cars, though I will admit that have a lot more power than cars from other countries and sound a lot louder, are terribly designed, often garish (matter of opinion really, but I will admit that I do have a particular fondness for Corvettes even so), have poor build quality and also handle TERRIBLY (in comparison). That's why the Pontiac GTO (which is actually an Australian Holden Monaro) sells so well in America - basically because you don't know how to make cars. And also Damien - having a convertible means that the chassis is a lot less stable, the handling would have gone down by at least 10% (probably a whole lot more) without extra reinforcement, the turning arc is probably something like that of a shopping trolley - the only reason why you would want such a thing is because it makes a lot of noise and looks over the top in way that only Americans can make things look. Driving a car is not about how fast it goes, but how well it handles, anyone can make a fast car go fast, not everyone can take a sharp round-about at 60 miles an hour.

Compare German engines - they're smaller, make a lot less noise, but also go a whole lot faster for a whole lot less fuel. Of course, most German cars are soulless, and despite all my harping on about build quality and what not, presence and that intangible feeling you get while driving a car - which is clinical and precise in most German cars - is not something I would go for. Volkswagons are reasonably priced and fun to punt around surely, but they're still not what you call exciting. Then take French cars - they're quirky sure, they've got "character" for the price you get, they're more expensive than other cars with similar performance you would get particularly with the hatch-backs (with the possible exception of Renaults). Italian cars are also slightly more expensive, but you've got to say something about a country where more manual cars are sold than automatics. They feel good, their engines make considerable noise for all you rev-heads out there and they also handle well. They don't have the build quality of a German car, and for the most part are more expensive, but they have slightly more power and in the hands of an experienced driver there is more feedback and why don't we just call it "soul" to the driving experience.

And then we come to Japanese cars. If you notice in Japan, they don't have those garish body-kits that race-boys in America tend to have. In comparison they're cheaper than the other products out there. If you want a super-car a Mitsubishi Evo VIII will do the job if you do some suspension work and tuning. This will beat a 911 Turbo - sure it looks ugly, and enthusiasts will harp on about the four-wheel-drive system and how it just doesn't feel good. But it's an idiot-proof car, and lets face it, most of the drivers on the road are idiots. Even if you're not a good driver, behind the wheel of an Evo you can still look half decent. Chivics with a little work done can be damn fast and well balanced, good handling cars in the way that Chryslers can never be the front-wheel-drive has its limitations, but other than four-wheel-drives they can handle extremely well with late-braking. And they look fine without all those silly stickers and wings. Japanese cars are also very tunable and adjustable - don't bag modders (and I mean performance based mods) just because they can't afford more expensive cars - with minimal suspension and engine work these cars can easily beat cars double or triple their price range.

Or you can try working on a classic car, as long as you have enough money for all the additional work you have to put into it, though there is only so far that a person can go on a certain chassis, even after being stripped and strengthened if the base was crudulent to begin with.

Ha! I couldn't resist posting in this thread.

P.S. I drive a hand-me-down AE92 with sports suspension, which used to be my brother's. My only defence is that I'm still a student and I'm sure I'll get something better when I can afford one. Besides, that doesn't mean I'm still not a kick-ass driver (or possibly just an annoyance to those living around me). :wink:
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

She called my VW soulless. :(

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=0A_wiOmbPic[/youtube]

Vee-Dubb

edit: my bad, chicks dig cars too.
Last edited by psi29a on Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swallow
notanewb

Post by swallow »

Hey Psi, I'm a girl dammit! Chicks like cars too!

Thank god for that though, the car looks much better, even if I still hate the plastic fantastic front. And at least I said your car had good build quality and handled well, rather than rubbishing it like Damien's.
Last edited by swallow on Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

swallow wrote:Hey Psi, I'm a girl dammit! Chicks like cars too!
Yikes, my apologies, I really didn't read the gender notification on the left hand side. :P

Yes, chicks dig cars.... but you called my car souless. :( My Jetta may not look like a racecar, but it is fun to mess with those that have a Sports car (at least in frame only). Heh, I haven't washed it in a long time, one side doesn't have a rubber molding, but the inside is clean and the engine spec.

I was so sad when 2003 they stopped producing v6 engines for use in jettas.
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

Oh Swallow, I applaud your knowledge of cars, far above that of a normal female, but you are so wrong. Yes, American cars are built poorly and are terrified of curves in the road, but when you want a lot of bang for your buck, you cant go wrong with pure American Muscle. And you are right about Japanese cars, they are well built, functional, reliable, and easy to get huge hp out of with modifications. But they are the ones lacking style and soul. Granted, cars like the Skyline, EVO, and WRX are amazing because of their capabilities, but you just dont get the same feeling when you look at them as you do when you look at cars like Aston Martins, Porches, Lamborghinis, and Ferraris. A Corolla with some lowering springs doesnt even compare.
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
blames them for his own mistakes." - Gene Roddenberry
swallow
notanewb

Post by swallow »

I did mention that I had no money Gaiseric - my car is worth less than AUD$2500 (USD$1800), I won't do anything to it, and I won't change to something better till I graduate. It sucks, and I admit it sucks. Everyone wants something better - Porsches are for pricks and Astons are a bit heavy, but if I wanted bang for my buck I would try perhaps a Lotus Exige (a lot less pricey) or for a bigger spend, I've got a thing for Lambo's even if excessively expensive.

As to American muscle cars. Ha! As long as you're happy with possibly rolling or spinning out when trying to take corners with a car which can't handle the power output be my guest and go ahead.
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

I totally understand. I drive a 92 Mazda MX-3, it was all I could afford right out of high school. It is a fun car to drive and I do enjoy tinkering with it and upgrading things to improve it, but I would trade it in a heartbeat for a Lotus Exige, or even an Elise. Not sure I would fit in it though... just have to keep the roof off. I highly recommend you watching Top Gear if you arent already. http://www.finalgear.com It will change your life.

You just dont understand American Muscle. Maybe its a guy thing, but it is amazing to see a cars front end lift off the ground, or the whole frame twist under the power of a V8. The loud roar of a V8 is unlike anything else.
Last edited by Gaiseric on Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
panasonic
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by panasonic »

ike Aston Martins, Porches, Lamborghinis, and Ferraris
i dont know but the first two, but the last two arent american
"Education is the foundation upon which you build your entire lust for cash"-Onizuka

http://www.striporama.com/edits/main.html
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

panasonic wrote:
ike Aston Martins, Porches, Lamborghinis, and Ferraris
i dont know but the first two, but the last two arent american
. . .

I know they have cars in Canada, so you must be from somewhere even further above the US where people only drive sleighs and you just heard stories of a paradise called Italy where people drive horseless sleighs on wheels called Ferraris and Lamborghinis. So i will explain. Aston Martin was a British car company(not sure who owns it now), Britain aka England is far above Italy. Porsche is a German car company, like Mercedes and Volkswagon, Germany is somewhere between Italy and England. Now, in our conversation we were discussing the difference between cars from America, Europe, and Japan. Multiple cars, multiple origins, different parts of one conversation, try not to get them mixed up.
panasonic
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by panasonic »

Oh Swallow, I applaud your knowledge of cars, far above that of a normal female, but you are so wrong. Yes, American cars are built poorly and are terrified of curves in the road, but when you want a lot of bang for your buck, you cant go wrong with pure American Muscle. And you are right about Japanese cars, they are well built, functional, reliable, and easy to get huge hp out of with modifications. But they are the ones lacking style and soul. Granted, cars like the Skyline, EVO, and WRX are amazing because of their capabilities, but you just dont get the same feeling when you look at them as you do when you look at cars like Aston Martins, Porches, Lamborghinis, and Ferraris. A Corolla with some lowering springs doesnt even compare.
if u didnt get it, i was pointing out that u didnt back up ur argument about american crs...
"Education is the foundation upon which you build your entire lust for cash"-Onizuka

http://www.striporama.com/edits/main.html
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

Um, yeah, I did. She said American cars suck. I said 'yeah, but they have raw power'. Then I moved on to the difference between European and Japanese cars. Maybe I should have broken up my post into paragraphs or something to make it more coherent. But I think she got what I was saying.
angi
imanewbie

Post by angi »

Howdy, I'm back :)

Well, here is the deal...I want a car under $20k that gets halfway decent gas mileage. The better mileage, the better car for me. Mileage is important to me because I live in SoCal where gas is expensive and driving is something I have to do if I want to do more than drive to and from work. Hybrids, while nice, are a bit expensive for my tastes. However, I don't think I want to squeeze into the mini-cars like the yaris or fit so I am thinking about the civic, corolla, or maybe even an eclipse.

I am trying to be open-minded but American cars are pretty much out of the equation. They have high costs of ownership and high depreciation so I would be locked in until it dies or I want to spend more money. Not cool.

I drove a new beetle, but really, it is quite a bit of money for a "cutesy" car that will be somewhat hard to offload in 5 years or whenever I get sick of it. The Jetta, while nice looking, doesn't get the mileage and is more than I am willing to pay for a car (we cannot buy TDIs new here and if I am going to get a newer car, I want it new.) I've also been told that German cars (they're all made in Mexico anyway) are hit and miss. When they are good, they are the best you can get. And when they are bad, whoa nelly!

I am almost to the point where I am about to just kick in the $5k and buy an old school bug until I figure out what I want. haha. Only problem with two classics is we won't be able to drive to Vegas without crossing our fingers and wishing all the way over and back!

In any case, my boyfriend bought a '65 fastback on ebay and since he is cross-country until November, guess who picked it up, registered it in her name and gets to play with it until then? So I guess I got a Mustang afterall :P

Last edited by angi on Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

that is one sexy set of wheels.
angi
imanewbie

Post by angi »

I have to start test driving something else because uh...I've been looking at the mustangs again :cry:
EvilDmitri
Mastered PM

Post by EvilDmitri »

I don't like mustangs simply because they are EVERYWHERE, and they all look the same. You can buy an inexpensive V6 POS Stang and have it look exactly the same as one of the $25,000+ ones that are actually higher performance. Basically, any prestiege that the Mustang once had is now gone, they are poor quality automobiles that are produced in staggering numbers for stupid teens who want the look of a fast car without actually paying for one.

I'm going for a Cadillac CTS :P Black of course. <3 those things.