Movies of '08

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

MournfulWoods
This is my new home

Re: Movies of '08

Post by MournfulWoods »

lon3vvolf wrote: BTW, anyone know anything about this movie? Just started seeing commercials for it... Kinda Madmax-ish.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feELmdZUrTs
Doomsday. By Neil Marshal, Director of 'Dog Soldiers' and 'The Descent'. His influences for this movie were post apocalyptic tales from 80's and 70's as well as a bit of exploitation movies. Think Mad Max and Escape from New York. He revealed that this is not gonna be about zombies. The virus will kill people, not really turn them into something else. Looks cool and he did a good job on previous movies for genre fans.

It's good that they're putting out a few Post Apocalyptic Tales. the genre lost a bit of exposure theses past years.
http://backalleybazaar.wordpress.com
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

it looks more like waterworld hehe
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

MrFelony wrote:it looks more like waterworld hehe
Took the words out of my mouth, motherfucker.

That trailer screams Waterworld.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

MrFelony wrote:it looks more like waterworld hehe
Only not as good.

Heh, or we shall see? ;)
MournfulWoods
This is my new home

Post by MournfulWoods »

Well if you're a horror genre fan, Neil Marshal has made his name known in only two films. He's a promising talent for Horror/fantastic genre movies. I think this will prove entertaining and true to what Post-Apocalyptic fiction is supposed to be. I think it will surpass Waterwold, which is, all in all, kinda candy coated. It's not entirely original, it seems to have been copied from some points of Mad Max 2/3. At least, discussions from fans of Mad Max tought me that waterworld isn't loved that much by all Post apocalyptic fans.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Well yeah, when you compare it to the likes of Mad Max, they're almost different genres. I see what you mean though, I like my shit fairly hardcore, I'm just leery of that which has naught much more to offer. We shall see how it goes though, maybe it'll be really good, that would be cool.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Starnum wrote:Well yeah, when you compare it to the likes of Mad Max, they're almost different genres. I see what you mean though, I like my shit fairly hardcore, I'm just leery of that which has naught much more to offer. We shall see how it goes though, maybe it'll be really good, that would be cool.
More like that movie "Escape from New York" with Kurt Russel......except only in London of course.....
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Death&Rebirth
Mastered PM

Post by Death&Rebirth »

Seems a mix between Mad Max 3 and 28 days later...
I doubt i'll see this...

Maybe waiting for The Dark Knight is still the best option for this year of movie going.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Pictures of the Watchmen cast in costume.

I think this movie lost any chances of being good when Zack Snyder was put in the director's seat.

I take that back.

The very fact that Watchmen is being adapted into a movie means it already lost any chances of being good.

Zack Snyder is just the icing on the cake.

Or more like the shit on the dumpster truck, I should say.
MournfulWoods
This is my new home

Post by MournfulWoods »

I could understand the feeling out of 300, with some efforts. But he made such a good Dawn of the Dead.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Femto wrote:
Libaax wrote:Aliens wasnt action movie really.
Aliens is a full-on action movie.

What movies did I see last year that were good?

I don't know.

I rarely go to the movies.

Once or twice every few months.

I saw Spider-Man 3 but that blew hard.

Did Ratatouille come out last year?

That was a fantastic movie though the film's main conflict, a rat wanting to become a chef, is perhaps too thin for a two hour film.

Ratatouille should have won the best movie award not only animation movie award. It was too good. First Pixar animation that felt like it went outside the animation medium.

I go to the movies much less than before too. No Country For Old Men,There will be Blood will make with I am Legend,Eastern Promises four movies in 6-7 months ever since Bourne Ultimatum in October.

Too many unoriginal,brain dead movies on the cinema these days.

Which is sad too even when i just heard two of my siblings will go and see 10,000 BC but they wont even think about seeing Oscars winning movies or hailed movies like No Country,There Will be Blood.

Even Shaka was pirate enough to download Will Be Blood......
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I didn't like No Country For Old Men.

Maybe I didn't get it but it just didn't manage to hold my interest in places.

I didn't like Fargo either.

They're very similar movies.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I havent seen Fargo, maybe i should just to see what they hype is about.

People rave about it so much.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Like I said, it's very similar to No Country For Old Men.

At least what little I remember of it.

It's a desolate setting, there's a couple of crazy guys, there's violence, there's a cop that never really affects the story in any significant way, etc, etc.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

That must be a coincidence though i doubt a famous author like Cormac McCarthy wrote No Country For Old Men after have seen Fargo or something ;)

Cause i hear the movie follows the book very well. I read that from Ed Brubaker in Criminal backpages that is used to talk about Noir movies.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Libaax wrote:That must be a coincidence though i doubt a famous author like Cormac McCarthy wrote No Country For Old Men after have seen Fargo or something ;)

Cause i hear the movie follows the book very well. I read that from Ed Brubaker in Criminal backpages that is used to talk about Noir movies.
It's the same director(s) though.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

sooo the man behind Solid Snake's voice is also the man that wrote the screenplay for the watchmen.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Yes, David Hayter writes scripts here and there.

I think he did the X2 script?
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

Libaax, nothing wrong with seeing 10,000 BC in cinema, it looks like decent light entertainment enough to watch on the big screen (dont need to be masterpiece to be interesting). But yeah, that some of our siblings dont even consider There will be blood or NCFOM are worth watching, while they went to the insane crapfest that is Jumper, is bizzare.

And yeah I wasnt in cinema mood lately because there is little worth watching (but will change soon for the months to come, batman, iron man and etc), hence watched there will be blood (Bastard from a baskeeeeet!) when someone else already downloaded it and it was avalaible to me, excellent viewing.

Regarding No Country for old men, we can go see it on monday if you want.

Watchmen looks stylistically interesting, will read the comic before I consider watching this even (though it was good I watched V before I read the comic, otherwise would have loathed the movie maybe). Do the characters look anything to how they are in the comic?

And hence this a movie thread. Should say I watched a movie based on the work of another comic genius, though this work was based on a book of his. Watched Neil Gaimans Stardust. Very unique and interesting fantasy adventure. Quite enjoyable.
Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of the hunt will be(weak) told by the hunter
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

The Mist - Ive always been a huge fan of the Novel so was expecting something real good.
It was a real good movie, enjoyed it quiet a bit.
Was like 8-10 years ago since I read the novel the last time but I think they changed the ending.
This worked also

\"No Sane man will dance.\"
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)
MournfulWoods
This is my new home

Post by MournfulWoods »

The mist is coming out at the end of March here. Been waiting for it. I love how campy it looks. Probably gonna buy this even though I didn't see it yet. I mean, Frank Darabond has done the best King adaptations and....he's worked on The Blob remake.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, I'm looking forward to The Mist. Mainly for the same campy reason. Also looking forward to watching No Country For Old Men, which I have in my Netflix que. :)
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

more speed for yah!

http://www.superheroflix.com/news/63/27163.php

cant wait for it!
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

halfnhalf wrote:more speed for yah!

http://www.superheroflix.com/news/63/27163.php

cant wait for it!
OK, my my thoughts on the movie aside, there are sometimes when dramatic music with chanting is completely inappropriate. Why can't Hollywood seem to grasp this?
ImageImage
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »