Battle Angel Alita

Have a fetish for dead wood comics, or you just like the better story development of the Manga? Post about 'em here.

Moderator: EG Members

Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

I read that Sirius Scars manga. Well, it's not quite up there with BAA, actually it's a whole different league, but it's fairly good nonetheless. The ending is a bit lame, but hey, at least it's not one of those neverending stories.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
RedEyes
n00b Smasher

Post by RedEyes »

Definitely... I warned you about the ending, but other than that, it is not bad for such a short manga.

How about Nausicaa, did you guys read it. It is a classic so I guess most of you know it...
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I have heard of it but havent read it,is it a sci fi?
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
RedEyes
n00b Smasher

Post by RedEyes »

It is a classic post-apocalyptic sci-fi, actually he presents a whole new post-apocalypse setting with fantasy mixed in it... Mangaka is well known Hayao Miyazaki, the man behind Princess Mononoke, Sprited Away etc.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I didnt know that guy was mangaka,i thought he only did anime. I loved Princess Mononoke but i cant stand Spirit Away so i wonder what i will think of Nausicca.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
RedEyes
n00b Smasher

Post by RedEyes »

One sentence: it is definitely a manga classic. You'll see what I mean when you start reading it... This is its Anime News Network entry: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... hp?id=1264

I see that Berserk is #1 and Nausicaa is #2 top rated manga in this site...
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I just read what its about and its sound my kind of manga.

The main character seems like a strong female character and i love those character specialy when most female main character nowadays are made so they cant do much and they are too annoying.

Also i dont take that rating serious when Hajime No Ippo isnt even in top 10.....
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

I'll look at that one, too.

However, I thought the story in Mononoke HIme was quite corny, at least in the movie. I haven't watched spirited away, so well....
Brainpiercing
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

They story might have been a litte corny but the movie was so well down,the characters was good.

Spirited Away is more disney than anime.....
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

So well, I don't think I'll like either.
Brainpiercing
TheDarkness
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by TheDarkness »

anyone ever read the akira manga.... i kinda feel that in size and all it is as good as (perhaps even better then) BAA
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

I, uh, started it. Can't say it appealed to me, I think I managed to get through three vols or so.

Let's see:

stupid 80s artwork

Alita looks better

Alita can fight better

Alita has a way better story

Alita has better artwork, at least later on. The latest vols kick so much ass I'm almost ready to compare the artwork to berserk, although that means I'm slightly out of my mind.

that's not to say that Akira is bad, it's just that BAA is way better.
Brainpiercing
RedEyes
n00b Smasher

Post by RedEyes »

I have watched the movie Akira, but I haven't read its manga, so I can't compare.

Back to the Nausicaa issue... trying to judge the Nausicaa manga by looking at movies like Sprited Away and even Mononoke Hime would not be just.

Artwork in Nausicaa is simply astonishing (also keep in mind that it is an 80s manga). Mangaka finished 5 volumes in 12 years, I guess it would be best to read it in A3 paper as frame per page is really high.

You might be bored with the story in the beginning, but bare with it and it gets better towards the end. Lets put it this way, most of the manga/comics written in 80s contained less "mature" content than the ones that we see around now. So, some people have heightened expectations and get bored while reading older mangas.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Redeyes: We werent talking about Nausicaa,we were talking about Spirited Away.

Akira isnt the same league as BBA. Akira is so overrated,people talked about like it was best thing ever so when i saw it,it was okay not more.
RedEyes
n00b Smasher

Post by RedEyes »

I know that, I was giving extra info on Nausicaa for those who are interested. :roll:

I watched the Akira movie, the animation was bad and even the kids had the same 40 year old faces and the ending was so hard to understand. I wonder whether it is the same in manga...
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

This line

"trying to judge the Nausicaa manga by looking at movies like Sprited Away and even Mononoke Hime would not be just. " made me think that.

About AKira the same guy did the manga and the anime so i geuss its same in the manga.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Well, the anime movie compresses a lot of stuff from the manga into a very short time, I think the manga will be more understandable. However, it still didn't motivate me to read it to the end...
Brainpiercing
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Exactly most movies make wanna read the manga versions if there is a manga but Akira didnt do that.
TheDarkness
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by TheDarkness »

ow btw anyone heard about the new movie from the artist that did spirited away..... something with walking castel in the name
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Well, the movie sort of motivated me to start the manga, but the manga itself seemed to get dull half-way through.

Oh well, I still recommend you just get it and have a look yourself.
Brainpiercing
TheDarkness
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by TheDarkness »

ah found it.... Howl's Moving Castle
http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/ho ... ng_castle/
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

yeah I've had this for awhile. I think I did a shitty job but what do you guys think?

I'm trying to get down the shade and shadow effects. I have awhile to go. On top of that I don't do this everyday like I should.
"Context is for Kings"
RedEyes
n00b Smasher

Post by RedEyes »

Nice, I like it... IMO, you can erase more of the original lines and add shadow and tone difference effects instead. Especially in the face, neck and the shirt.

I am suprised to see you coloring this instead of a Yoruichi pic :wink: I hope your next one would be an Alita pic...
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

I liked the backround. THe smoke and the overall feel of that situation best. I want to do a Battle Royale pic next. when I stop being lazy.

darkskin characters always give me a problem
"Context is for Kings"
TheDarkness
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by TheDarkness »

i'm attempting to color a berserk pic but that is friggin hell..... so many details and things that can have shadows.....