Superhero comics and other comics.

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Femto
Devourer of Children

Re: Superhero comics and other comics.

Post by Femto »

I don't see how bringing someone back from the dead is a retcon.

Barry died, he became one with the Speed Force and was then brought back from the dead for who knows what purpose.

How is continuity being retroactively changed?

It's not like Barry was in a cocoon or something.

And it used to be Jay, Wally and Bart.

Now it'll be Jay, Wally and Barry.

Three Flashes, three guys with the same powers, no difference.

It's going to be a great book.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Femto wrote:I don't see how bringing someone back from the dead is a retcon.

Barry died, he became one with the Speed Force and was then brought back for who knows what purpose.

How is continuity being retroactively changed?

It's not like Barry was in a cocoon or something.
I consider resurrections as a form of retcon because bringing back a previously dead character changes the fact that he died in the original continuity. Furthermore, you're also altering with the facts and the way he 'died' so he can be brought back. When Mark Waid was on the Flash book, being one with the Speed Force meant that the character died; it was a Valhalla for speedsters. Now it's not and that's been changed (although I'm confused as what the Speed Force actually is right now, recent changes has made it much more confusing than a power source for speedsters and into a multidimensional gateway).

Geoff Johns made some radical changes and retcons when he brought back Hal Jordan. Most notably was absolving Hal Jordan by making him not responsible for his actions by having Parallax be a parasitic organism rather than Hal Jordan himself. I feel that with Barry Allen Rebirth, the changes would be to the same extent as that.
Femto wrote:And it used to be Jay, Wally and Bart.

Now it'll be Jay, Wally and Barry.

Three Flashes, three guys with the same powers, no difference.
With Jay, Wally and Bart (as Kid Flash), despite having the same powers, Bart was Kid Flash and all three of them played different roles. Jay was the mentor, Bart was the sidekick, and Wally was the hero. It wasn't until Wally 'died' that Bart became the Flash. They all held different statuses and roles with their respective powers. Now that Barry's back, I'm not sure what Wally is meant to do, since they're both of equal status now, I'm worried that they might fight for screen time together, and also making one of those characters redundant.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Eldo wrote:bringing back a previously dead character changes the fact that he died in the original continuity.
That's the thing though, Barry did die in continuity and was then resurrected.

Like, I said, it's not like he was in a cocoon or was suddenly a Skrull.

He died in the first Crisis and was resurrected in the 3rd.

No retcon.

There was definitely a lot of retcons in Green Lantern: Rebirth but that's because Johns had to untangle the clusterfuck that was the Green Lantern universe before he could bring Jordan back.

That's not necessary in the Flash universe.

Also, Johns loves Wally.

He's not going to put him on the side.

I have faith in Geoff Johns.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Femto wrote:Like, I said, it's not like he was in a cocoon or was suddenly a Skrull.

He died in the first Crisis and was resurrected in the 3rd.

No retcon.
I guess I look at retcons at another weird angle to you. I consider resurrections as a form of retcon, heh.
Femto wrote:Also, Johns loves Wally.

He's not going to put him on the side.

I have faith in Geoff Johns.
It's not necessarily Geoff Johns that I have no faith with, but more with how the other writers for the DC universe use him. Because look at how great Bart Allen was as the Flash. I'm confident that every book, regardless of character by Geoff Johns will be entertaining stuff. I don't even like Hal Jordan but I enjoyed reading his stuff. That said, I'm not feeling the love for Barry Allen...yet. Which is why I'm not excited about this.

Also, if anyone wants to check out the Secret Invasion tie ins, I highly recommend Captain Britain mini. Also, I just read Invincible 50. Great stuff. Check out more Image stuff like Dynamo 5 and Noble Causes. They're awesome.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I'm getting Invincible in trade form so I'll have to wait a bit before I read #50.

I heard it was a big turning point in the book though.

The Burger Mart garbage bag is currently my favorite subplot in the book.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Im on Invincible 47 cause of the latest trade. Im waiting for 48+.

I want to read the single issues and catch up but Image and Kirkman are uberslow with the monthly that i have been forced to wait for the trades.

Which is a shame since Invincible is by far the best superhero teen comic there is.

Now that Kirkman is a partner in Image he said his books will come out like a clockwork cause of him not working outside Image.

Speaking about cosmic hero i read Nova 4-7 cause of his trade and it was pure awesome. I LOVA Nova to bits. He is fun and interesting. Cant wait for the trades,single issues for the rest of Conquest comics.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
square-enix
imanewbie

Post by square-enix »

I concur on Invincible. I'm just a sucker for comic books that use 3x3 (or 4x3) panels and actually fill them in with dialogue. The art is just great and pleasing. My comic store is fine with me flipping through some books and I did so with the recent Mighty Avengers. I'm just looking at it and the damn thing wasted entire pages just to show some fight scenes (I was unable to decipher what was fighting what. The art sucked) Invincible's definitely worth the money.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

square-enix wrote:I concur on Invincible. I'm just a sucker for comic books that use 3x3 (or 4x3) panels and actually fill them in with dialogue. The art is just great and pleasing. My comic store is fine with me flipping through some books and I did so with the recent Mighty Avengers. I'm just looking at it and the damn thing wasted entire pages just to show some fight scenes (I was unable to decipher what was fighting what. The art sucked) Invincible's definitely worth the money.

Invincible is the kind of superhero comic that drew me to the subgenre. I backread Stan Lee and co early Spiderman and loved it. It was fun,drama in a good soap opera way.

Thats why i enjoy Invincible so much, it is fun and most of the times funny but it has warm stories,drama too. I cared about Mark personal problems with Gfs,dad,aliens wanting to take over the world like i do even in tv shows,movies that act like good dramas. I usually dont like cartoony art but its amazing in Invincible.

Today when DC,Marvel Us are about Final Crisis(yeah sure), superheros fighting each other in CW and post CW and lame SI events Invincible is extra great !

Have you read Blue Beetle and Manhunter ? They remind me of Invincible in that characters story are told in interesting personal way.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

The part where Atom Eve talks to Mark after he broke up with Amber really made me feel for her.

You actually care about these characters.

And Allen the Alien is awesome.

He's like a one-eyed Goku.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Femto wrote:The part where Atom Eve talks to Mark after he broke up with Amber really made me feel for her.

You actually care about these characters.

And Allen the Alien is awesome.

He's like a one-eyed Goku.
Yeah i felt for her. Even if i was against Mark dumbing Amber. I liked her and seeing him struggle with a normal GF.

Allen is awesome, he is by far my favorit alien in Invincible. He is funny and cool. I liked his idea of giving up in the fight against female alien and going to prison.

What i cant wait for most is seeing Mark react when he finds out what his government boss is doing with that villain.
Laik
This is my new home

Post by Laik »

I thought I left a post a long time ago but I wanted to thank everyone who participated in the thread. I always wanted to get into comics, but I always ended up confused as to where I wanted to start or what run to look at. It's thanks to this thread that I sat down and took a look at Punisher MAX (Easily some of the best stuff I've ever read comic wise) and The Living Dead is probably a permanent favorite.

I saw a cover of Invincible and knew I had to pick it up, but I haven't looked at it yet.
EG needs some help. Please feel free to contact us if you want to become a part of the staff.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Laik wrote:I thought I left a post a long time ago but I wanted to thank everyone who participated in the thread. I always wanted to get into comics, but I always ended up confused as to where I wanted to start or what run to look at. It's thanks to this thread that I sat down and took a look at Punisher MAX (Easily some of the best stuff I've ever read comic wise) and The Living Dead is probably a permanent favorite.

I saw a cover of Invincible and knew I had to pick it up, but I haven't looked at it yet.
You should check out the earlier Marvel Knights Punisher by the same writer (Ennis). It's by far the funniest book I have ever read in my life, that's including novels and comics.

Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Laik wrote:I thought I left a post a long time ago but I wanted to thank everyone who participated in the thread. I always wanted to get into comics, but I always ended up confused as to where I wanted to start or what run to look at. It's thanks to this thread that I sat down and took a look at Punisher MAX (Easily some of the best stuff I've ever read comic wise) and The Living Dead is probably a permanent favorite.

If you like Invincible try The Walking Dead by the same author. Best zombie story i have seen in any medium.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Final Crisis #3 was pretty good but nowhere near as crazy as #2.

There was something else I wanted to say but I forgot.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Wally is getting a new costume in Flash: Rebirth.

Confirmed by Ethan Van Sciver, who chose to work on Rebirth and dropped Blackest Night instead.

Can't wait.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Femto wrote:Wally is getting a new costume in Flash: Rebirth.

Confirmed by Ethan Van Sciver, who chose to work on Rebirth and dropped Blackest Night instead.

Can't wait.
He dropped out of Blackest Night? :?
ImageImage
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Yes.

He did an interview where he stated that it was either the Blackest Night mini or Rebirth and he chose Rebirth.

He said that he won't even be able to do a one-shot of Blackest Night like he did with Sinestro Corps which is a damn shame.

He's still designing a bunch of Lanterns for the story though.

Also, James Robinson's Starman is fantastic.

I told a friend that it kinda reminded me of Sandman and he said something to the likes of "that makes sense, those were the only two good books in the 90's."

We laughed and headed back home afterward to practice anal sex.
square-enix
imanewbie

Post by square-enix »

Tempest wrote:He dropped out of Blackest Night? :?
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/080808- ... civer.html
Femto wrote:Also, James Robinson's Starman is fantastic.
Unfortunately DC never finished putting it in trades and instead had the grand idea to release omnibuses.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

I hope Ivan Reis does it. He's a very capable and suitable artist for Blackest Night.

The only Starman I had exposure to is the one in JSA (early issues, before Jack gave the staff to Stargirl), and in the Hellboy/Batman/Starman crossover.

halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

is it wrong that i have been so far behind in the DC comic books that I just read Identity Crisis just recently?
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Eldo wrote:I hope Ivan Reis does it. He's a very capable and suitable artist for Blackest Night.
Reis is great.

I think he could use a better inker though and his work in GL #25 felt a little rushed, which is fine just because of the sheer amount of stuff happening in that issue.

He's no Ethan Van Sciver though.

Then again, Van Sciver is probably my favorite contemporary comic book artist so I don't think many people are as good as him.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Sucks that Sciver's out, but at least he's working on the designs. And I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought Superman was a gimme as at least a recipient for a Blue ring.
ImageImage
MournfulWoods
This is my new home

Post by MournfulWoods »

Anyone read the Abe Sapien: The Drowing miniseries ? Worth buying ? I like Abe in the new Hellboy movie, got me interested in the miniserie and I ordered the HC version. I also Ordered Punisher by Garth Ennis Omnibus HC, because the new trailer for the movie Punisher : War Zone is incredible. I think they chose a great actor to play good ol' frank but I never read much of the punisher Stuff. Anyone care to comment the titles : Punisher by Garth Ennis vs Punisher Max (is that the Garth Ennis run ?) vs Punisher war Journal.
http://backalleybazaar.wordpress.com
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

MournfulWoods wrote:Anyone read the Abe Sapien: The Drowing miniseries ? Worth buying ? I like Abe in the new Hellboy movie, got me interested in the miniserie and I ordered the HC version. I also Ordered Punisher by Garth Ennis Omnibus HC, because the new trailer for the movie Punisher : War Zone is incredible. I think they chose a great actor to play good ol' frank but I never read much of the punisher Stuff. Anyone care to comment the titles : Punisher by Garth Ennis vs Punisher Max (is that the Garth Ennis run ?) vs Punisher war Journal.

not to ruin anything about the new Punisher movie, but word on the street is that is it going to be rated pg-13.
MournfulWoods
This is my new home

Post by MournfulWoods »

halfnhalf wrote:
MournfulWoods wrote:Anyone read the Abe Sapien: The Drowing miniseries ? Worth buying ? I like Abe in the new Hellboy movie, got me interested in the miniserie and I ordered the HC version. I also Ordered Punisher by Garth Ennis Omnibus HC, because the new trailer for the movie Punisher : War Zone is incredible. I think they chose a great actor to play good ol' frank but I never read much of the punisher Stuff. Anyone care to comment the titles : Punisher by Garth Ennis vs Punisher Max (is that the Garth Ennis run ?) vs Punisher war Journal.

not to ruin anything about the new Punisher movie, but word on the street is that is it going to be rated pg-13.
Heard about that, but it seems thoses rumors weren't true. From the Mad movies website, director told she still had control over the movie and that it will be rated R. I mean, just look at the trailer and tell me if this is PG13 ^^

http://www.mad-movies.com/mad/bande-ann ... uvage.html

(in french but the video there is in better quality than you tube)
http://backalleybazaar.wordpress.com