Superhero comics and other comics.

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Ultimates series are very very good and fresh take on marvel series and characters that have become boring in 616 universe.

Ultimates 1,2 and Ultimate Spiderman are amazing.

Hulk is fricking funny in Ultimates. "Hulk hornnyyy" "Hulk aint no sissy" :kekeke:
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

i spent an entire night of sleep finishing The Walking Dead and Invincible. wowowow. these two are very gripping comics. the stories are fresh and the status quo are always changing.
i like that in a comic.
=)

as for the ultimate titles,
ultimates, f4, iron man, spiderman are pretty gripping as well. in that order.
i love the ultimates' format where a greater story is told within a volume of 13 issues, with smaller arcs in between. cannot wait to see how the current volume 2 will end.

other ongoing series i read:
Powers
DMZ
Young Avengers
Supermarket (picked up the recent issue 1. looks promising)

limited series i highly recommend:
Wanted
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Powers isnt that a Bendis comic?

Many people have recomended it to me.

Im gonna start reading Cable and Deadpool and the other Deadpool series,minis.
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

libaxx,
yes powers is a bendis created comic.
the story format is quite the same as ultimate spiderman. a new arc every few issues.
=)
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Thats sounds good cause i like USM alot.
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

just re-read DC's 'kingdom come'.
it ranks up there with 'red son'.
excellent elseworlds story with beautiful art by alex ross.
=)
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Kingdom Come is pretty good. I enjoyed DC new frontier too.

I'd rather enjoyed Books of Magic, written by Neil Gaiman. Pretty interesting stuff, but it's packed with loads of text. Took me a while to finish reading.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I finally got to read the first Ultimates HC.

Insanely awesome stuff.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Yeah Ultimates suprised me too. Its awesome.

I have recent caught up to Spiderman. I must say i love his new powers. The seeing in the dark,feeling vibrations through the webs,feeling the wind on his arm hair and being sticky all over. The only thing i dont like is the stingers.

Eldo wasnt kidding about Gwen and Osborn, i thought he was talking about a story that got retconned away from history. Its the dumbest thing i have read in a comic,why would Gwen who loves PP so sleep with an old man...... The sing of past arc was too lame...

About his new costume its bad looking and the gadgets are usefull. Like listening to police radio etc But BUT why would Spiderman need bulletproof vest when its impossible to shoot him if his senses work as the should. Why must they ruin a start of interesting arc. An the glider thing jesus.....
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

i used to love spiderman.
that was like more than 10 years ago when i went all the way uptown to the comic book store to buy spiderman comics. every weekend!

compared that the spiderman now... EVERYTHING about him is wrong now!
he used to be the everyman... the normal guy burdened with everyday problems and STILL had to go the extra mile as a superhero cos of his sense of responsibility. the threat of death was real.

now he has a cushy living high up in stark tower where he does not have to worry about life's problems. and becomes near-invincible as a superhero with super-senses, near-flight, bullet-proof armour with all the gadgets and whatnot.

seesh.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

The Tony Stark thing is just a phase a thing that only comes with the arc. The glider,costume,vest wont last long.

Even now PP doesnt want to live in the tower but he only lives there to protect his family.

We all know that they build his life up just to bring down harder later. I have read AMS from issue 1-529, know for a fact that his peace and comfortable life wont last. As he says his luck never holds.

His new powers are cool though. You should read the Other mini,it makes him power much more interesting than the accident we thought.
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

it seems like a pretty permanent thing to me.
with him in the avengers roster and all.

yeah i read 'the other' arc and i am familiar with the morlun story about his 'real' origin.
it seems MJS wants his name to go down in the comic history books for revamping spiderman's origin and subsequent '2nd origin' with 'the other'.
its dragging spiderman all the way to hell, man!

i really hope all this is just a canon or something. but it seems not.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Yeah, the costume isn't going to a permanent thing, it's going to be gone after the civil war arc.

I think DC made the best retcons about the characters' origins after Crisis on Infinite Earths. Batman Year One was extremely good.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I dont even think he will stay in avengers much longer. Its look pretty clear that the team will break down after civil war. Spidey has always been a loner and nobody will change that. I thinks it cool that he has a team for he isnt alone as always but only cause i know its tempory.

Anyone read Hitman by Gart Ennis?

The coolest and most badass comic i have read. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitman_%28comics%29
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

i did a little readup on this 'civil war' crossover.
thats a ripoff story from an xmen story somewhere thats for sure. from 'mutant registration' to 'superhero registration'.
hey even 'powers' had this arc before!
nothing new.

'hitman' eh? i will be checking it out.
=)
i have already enjoyed incredible, walking dead and Y the last man since you recommended them, libaax.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I know i have exellent taste :P

Im shocked at how all the good writers are british. Its like old movie stars were all british.

Garth Ennis and Warren Ellis are my fav writers along with Frank Miller and they are both british.

Other great british writers

Alan Moore
Niel Gaiman
Grant Morrison etc
Last edited by Libaax on Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

I also recommend the first couple of issues of the Tick.

Ben Edlund, so goddamn funny. The ninja arc in that is what made me love ninjas. Ninjas are so damn awesome.

Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Is he british? otherwise he might suck :P

About the civil thing i thought about x-men directly after i heard about what civil war is about. Yeah its a rip off of sorts but it will be interesting seeing superheroes vs superheroes. I wonder which side Wolverine,Spidey etc will be on.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Ben Edlund is the producer of Angel and Firefly, and also wrote some episodes of both series as well. And I highly recommend Tick because it has some whacky humour. Not too sure about his originality, but who cares? As long as I can be entertained by their works, that's all that matters.

Punisher v3 is alright as well. I guess I just enjoy the grittiness in all of that.

Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I havent read Garth Ennis Punisher yet but if its half as good as Hitman it will be a blast to read it.

Tick i liked the tv show, i will se how it is. I hope its fun and whacky.

I strongly recomend Hitman if you like grittiness plus it has very cool and dark sense of humor.
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_War_%28comics%29

we can tell which side has who. of course there will be much more heroes involved that are not shown.
i see they even have the young avengers in there!

i have seen 'the tick' cartoons. although i am not a huge fan of slapstick humour.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

That link isnt for me, i dont like spoilers so please keep it to yourself before the comic is out.
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

sorry about that.
its just a summary of the plot with minor spoilers.
i meant no offence.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

None taken i just wanted to say i dont like spoilers not in comics atleast.

Specialy big ones like who is on which side of the war.
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

i dunno if that link can be classified as a spoiler or not.
it is just a summary taken from 'public knowledge' like press releases, solicitations and comic news.
regarding 'who is on which side', i just saw a promotional art and the cover of civil war #2 on that page and made some obvious deductions.