drink recommendations/my bday

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

MrFelony
E-Thug

drink recommendations/my bday

Post by MrFelony »

okay so several people on the forum have shown a broad knowledge of good beer. I'm going to be turning 21 this wednesday and will drink for the first time since i quit my freshman year (nov 14th 2004). I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations of good beer i could buy. most guys i know are college kids, therefore only buy donkey piss beer.

also here is a pic to commemorate the event
FightClub
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by FightClub »

When I got arrested I was drinking rolling rock, which is technically a pale ale. Not much taste to it, goes down easily, and will get you drunk pretty quickly.
Rolos wrote:-He was born from a corpse? Has been killing (or assisting in the process) people ever since he was 5? Hahahaa...talk about having a shitty life. Its hilarious because he's not me.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

FightClub wrote:When I got arrested I was drinking rolling rock, which is technically a pale ale. Not much taste to it, goes down easily, and will get you drunk pretty quickly.
At virginia tech, all the bars here serve blue moon ale, a pale ale which you can't see through and more importantly comes served with a slice of orange. Great tasting stuff, and will get you drunk. To be consumed with good company.
Devil_Dante
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Devil_Dante »

I don't think you are familiar with dutch beer (which is known to be the best), but what the hell, buy "Jupiler" or "Kriek" lol
elric le tueur d'amis
Mastered PM

Post by elric le tueur d'amis »

Hum,those beers aren't dutch but belgian,like "Maes","Orval","Stella",...
That guy won''t give up!!
Kill him!!
Devil_Dante
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Devil_Dante »

elric le tueur d'amis wrote:Hum,those beers aren't dutch but belgian,like "Maes","Orval","Stella",...
mlol, ok belgian, but us belgians also speak dutch :P, but you are from brussels, so you probably speak french.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

for a pale ale, its all about Sierra Nevada.

if you want a thick dark beer, Newcastle.

want a hoppy taste, that tastes like a beer, Sam Adams.

Just because I am in college doesnt mean i dont have a bad taste in beer, its because some girls arent worth it for the expensive stuff.

I am a huge fan of Dos Equis

Honestly if you really cant make up your mind, find a Yard House nearby and go there. Biggest selection of beer you possibly could buy from, just ask the bartender there what they like.

http://www.yardhouse.com/beer.asp

Rolling Rock is considered to be cheap beer, but i enjoy that stuff all the time. Blue Moon is bomb. All my buddies RAVE about Hefeweizen beer, its a beer made from Wheat rather than hops. Much different taste, but it is a German style beer. Many brands have their own style of Hefeweizen beers.

If I were you, hit up Yard House and try ever beer there that you could think of. Ever want to discuss alcohol, I'm here with a vast knowledge of it.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

I'm probably going to buy a large variety of beers. though i think it'll be funny playing beer pong with good beer haha. its goin to be hard pacing myself since i wont have any tolerance at all :shock:
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Blue Moon, a Belgian-Style white beer brewed by the Molson Coors Brewing Company, was launched in 1995. Originally called Bellyslide Belgian White, it was created by Keith Villa, a brewmaster at Coors Field's Sandlot Brewery (the onsite brewery owned by the Molson Coors Brewing Company). The beer is a three-time medalist at the World Beer Championships (Gold-1995, Silver-1996-7).

Blue Moon is a somewhat typical example of a Belgian wheat ale. The beer is orange-amber in color with a cloudy appearance due to the fact that it is unfiltered. It is also spiced with coriander and orange peel in addition to the hops found in most beers. Blue Moon does have a more pronounced orange flavor than many other beers of the style. The grain bill for Blue Moon includes malted barley, white wheat, and oats.

Many wheat beers are served with a slice of lemon. Blue Moon, however, is traditionally served with a slice of orange, as it is said to accentuate the flavor of the brew. Some beer drinkers do not prefer fruit slices in their beer, since they believe the citric acid can eliminate the beer's frothy head.

Blue Moon is available in bottles and kegs. The brew has 171 calories per 12-ounce serving and 5.4 percent alcohol by volume.

MMMmmm good beer!
crazyankan
Mastered PM

Post by crazyankan »

The only country that could produce really tasteful beer is Czech.

Starbrno
Zlatopramen
Braník
Krusovicé
and the best of the best Staropramen.
EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

So halfnhalf, I see you've listed Newcastle Brown. It's a brown ale and a bit stronger than most of the lagers I drink, but everyone should try this if they haven't already.

Hmm... I've hardly even heard of the rest (save Stella Artois)... still, I'll give my own recommendations. Usually, I'll drink Carling, but I like the Aussie beers too; Fosters, Castlemaine XXXX (you can really taste the hops in that one). If you want something different, give Guinness a go. It's a stout, though it tastes better in Dublin, apparently. All those are brewed in the UK (or Ireland) the last time I checked, so I don't know if they'd taste the same abroad.

And er, we seem to have three alternate threads for Felony's b-day. :? Well anyway, have a good one, dude.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

EnglishJim wrote:If you want something different, give Guinness a go. It's a stout, though it tastes better in Dublin, apparently. All those are brewed in the UK (or Ireland) the last time I checked, so I don't know if they'd taste the same abroad.
A lot of people seem to think Guinness is an Irish drink, which it isn't. It was invented in England. :D
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

crazyankan wrote:The only country that could produce really tasteful beer is Czech.

Starbrno
Zlatopramen
Braník
Krusovicé
and the best of the best Staropramen.
Are you Czech? All my Czech friends and family all rave about how Czech beer is the best around.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

psi29a wrote: A lot of people seem to think Guinness is an Irish drink, which it isn't. It was invented in England. :D
Yeah, I've heard that if you go Ireland and ask for Guinness and refer to it in some way as a "local beer" you get either:

(A) Laughed at by everyone in the bar
or
(B) The shit kicked out of you

Or, more than likely, some hybrid of the two. The same goes for ordering an "Irish Car Bomb", but you'd have to be a complete idiot to not know that. For those who still wish to get from zero to drunk in under a five minutes with a "carbomb" in Ireland, refer to it by one of it's many other names including (but not limited to): Depth Charge (probably the most popular name) , Boilermaker, or Jimmy and Guinney (refering to the use of Jameson Irish Whisky and Guinness)
ImageImage
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Hwefenwiezer is a good beer get a lime make sure there is some good head on it and bam two of those and your in business :twisted: I am not a beer drinker but my favorite would have to be Alaskan Amber a home brew beer that goes down smooth, or Pyramid Ale is a good choice too... and if you want to get shitty drunk down a 40oz Old English, or Colt 45 then continue with harsh American beer :twisted: One last suggestion drink some warm sake with sushi that should get you there also be careful the sake will sneak up on you :D
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

Tempest wrote: Or, more than likely, some hybrid of the two. The same goes for ordering an "Irish Car Bomb", but you'd have to be a complete idiot to not know that. For those who still wish to get from zero to drunk in under a five minutes with a "carbomb" in Ireland, refer to it by one of it's many other names including (but not limited to): Depth Charge (probably the most popular name) , Boilermaker, or Jimmy and Guinney (refering to the use of Jameson Irish Whisky and Guinness)

well to expand that idea of getting drunk quicker... Flip cup with depth charges at 3/4th to a full cup of beer. or do double shot jager bombs, either will do the trick.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

halfnhalf wrote: well to expand that idea of getting drunk quicker... Flip cup with depth charges at 3/4th to a full cup of beer. or do double shot jager bombs, either will do the trick.
Bah, doing a depth charge is fun enough without the game. Besides, you'll get like 4 rounds of flip cup in max before most everytone is tanked. As for jager bombs, they are an abomination in the eyes of the Jaeger Gods. Drink it straight up or not at all (This coming from a guy who drank a pint of Jaeger in an hour and blacked out for 5 hours. Not fun.)
ImageImage