Censorship at it's finest

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

ryusenka
This is my new home

Post by ryusenka »

Starnum wrote: Heh, it was funny to tell teachers no, they'd look all mad, or surprised. Bah, so you get ISS, although, it depends on what the item was on whether it was worth it or not.
Actually, nowadays teachers are expecting that from thier students because most of the time it's thier cellphones, not books. Well, actually, since I'm in highschool it doesn't cause much trouble, but most of my friends who like berserk are in middle school so.......lots of trouble.
FightClub wrote: Plus you know, guys who bring comic books to high school, and share them with their friends, don't tend to get laid all too often. You might want to start hanging out with the crowd that doesn't dress like naruto if you don't want to lose your virginity to a hooker.
None of the people who read berserk is like that, a couple of them probably already lost thier virginity and a few are the "popular" people. When I asked the person who actually does dress as Naruto (wears head band everyday) he said it sucks and Naruto is number one all time. Of course he's my bitch and does what I want, he's a pushover junior.
"Understand that it's just a person - not worth devoting any nightmares to." - JTHM
Aeriel
Mastered PM

Post by Aeriel »

FightClub wrote:Plus you know, guys who bring comic books to high school, and share them with their friends, don't tend to get laid all too often.
Me and my winie strongly disagree! :smoken: :P
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

There seems to be a pretty solid consensus that fightclub doesn't know what he's talking about on this subject.
ryusenka
This is my new home

Post by ryusenka »

Istvan wrote:There seems to be a pretty solid consensus that fightclub doesn't know what he's talking about on this subject.
Agreed.
"Understand that it's just a person - not worth devoting any nightmares to." - JTHM
dronedevil
notanewb

Post by dronedevil »

I found berserk in a books a million near me but it wasnt in the manga section just in the romance novel section :?: weird
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

WOW it is amazing what people consider romantic now days :twisted:
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

I found berserk in a books a million near me but it wasnt in the manga section just in the romance novel section weird
That's... really surprising. I'm trying to picture this series as a romance story... and failing miserably. I just can't see it, no matter how hard I try.
ryusenka
This is my new home

Post by ryusenka »

Istvan wrote:
I found berserk in a books a million near me but it wasnt in the manga section just in the romance novel section weird
That's... really surprising. I'm trying to picture this series as a romance story... and failing miserably. I just can't see it, no matter how hard I try.
How is that? Gutts and Caska doesn't count as romance?
God_Hand_Hater07
imanewbie

Post by God_Hand_Hater07 »

Not really its mostly them fighting,them fighting, them fighting s'more then them finally coming to terms with the fact that they love each other just in time for griffith to snap and go all god hand and rape her right in front of him just for fun. Not the most romantic thing. in my opinion anyway.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

its still a love story between the two of them. if anything i bet it was either misplaced or some kid worked there and thought it'd be funny
Gattsblackfalcon
This is my new home

Post by Gattsblackfalcon »

Or maybe that kid saw some orgy pages and decided that that was romantic. haha
Ultra Berserk fan , Gatts wanna be . Image and EvilDmitri rocks ftw.
Kshatriya
imanewbie

Post by Kshatriya »

I guess I'm really lucky to live in Toronto. There's not a single bookstore I've ever been in that doesn't have stacks of manga everywhere - usually displayed proudly right by the door. The Berserk volumes are usually nicely shrink-wrapped, but no "explicit material" warnings. There are also loads of Kenshin, Love Hina, XXXholic... you name it. I've also seen imported raw copies in Chinatown (in either Chinese or Japanese) - of course, these all looked like gibberish to me. Mostly I just gawked at the 12" statuette of the Black Swordsman, priced right at $79.99 CAD. :shock:

Maybe I should start a shipping ring for some of the rarer items that haven't hit Amazon yet - if there are any.
Kshatriya: A protector of lands; one who upholds the codes of honour, bravery and loyalty.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Kshatriya wrote:Maybe I should start a shipping ring for some of the rarer items that haven't hit Amazon yet - if there are any.
Sell me the envolopslayer and I will be happy (it comes with a silver beheilt) :twisted:
Kshatriya
imanewbie

Post by Kshatriya »

"Envolopslayer" - neither I nor Google has ever heard of it. Care to elaborate?
Kshatriya: A protector of lands; one who upholds the codes of honour, bravery and loyalty.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

It is a rare piece of Berserk Mech that I saw once in the AK and never again, and now I am kicking my self in the ass for not picking it up :evil:

It is a Mini Dragon Slayer that is silver and comes with a silver Behelit and it is called the Envelopslayer, or so I have heard.
dronedevil
notanewb

Post by dronedevil »

It wasnt in with the romance novel but in the same section with an extremely small plaque that said mature manga on the 2 shelf from the bottom . Where you couldnt find it unless you were really looking. Along with berserk in that group they had lone wolf & cub,lady snowblood,batytle vixens (ikki tousen) and thats all i remeber were in that 2 shelves for them, but in the manga section they have basilisk which is mature rated and they dont have it in the mature section though??

Goes to show inconsistences in trying to keep kids "safe" from books but they can walk out with the book american psycho without any check of id :roll:
Kshatriya
imanewbie

Post by Kshatriya »

Anything to keep the kids reading, I guess. There are only so many Harry Potters out there.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Don't try to make censorship make sense. You'll always fail. By its very nature it is senseless, mostly because the kind of people who want to be in charge of censoring are all idiots.
jistanidiot
imanewbie

Borders and vol 13?

Post by jistanidiot »

The only bookstore in my area that carries Berserk is Borders. However every time I've gone there to pick up vol 13, it's been "on order" Now I picked up vol 14 quite a while ago, yet vol 13 is still "on order" The staff seems clueless. I even spoke to a manager who said it could be 4 to 6 weeks before it arrives in stock.

Is this just my store being stupid or some sort of larger problem? I'm thinking of just buying off amazon.com or some place (any cheaper place?).
inkthinker
Found the Edit button

Re: Borders and vol 13?

Post by inkthinker »

jistanidiot wrote:The only bookstore in my area that carries Berserk is Borders. However every time I've gone there to pick up vol 13, it's been "on order" Now I picked up vol 14 quite a while ago, yet vol 13 is still "on order" The staff seems clueless. I even spoke to a manager who said it could be 4 to 6 weeks before it arrives in stock.

Is this just my store being stupid or some sort of larger problem? I'm thinking of just buying off amazon.com or some place (any cheaper place?).
SOunds like the people you're talking to don't know what they're talking about... they're just feeding you the standard form answers to customers looking for books not immediately available according to their computers.

Go ahead and get it on Amazon... they'll ship it right to your door, probably in about a week.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Or you could actually place an order from Borders (saves on shipping costs). They let you order anything they don't have in stock, as long as it's still in print.
inkthinker
Found the Edit button

Post by inkthinker »

Except that if they don't have it in their warehouse, then they can't guarantee when it will arrive (hence the "4-6 weeks" response).

Used to work for Waldenbooks (which is a Borders subcompany). Wasn't a bad job, but I'm glad I'm well shed of it.
jistanidiot
imanewbie

Post by jistanidiot »

Istvan wrote:Or you could actually place an order from Borders (saves on shipping costs). They let you order anything they don't have in stock, as long as it's still in print.

I could but that would reward them for their incompetence. Also the last time I did have them order a book for me when I went to pick it up they wanted to record my drivers license number. Besides it qualified for amazon's free shipping. All I had to do was order one more item to push the total over $30. I've been meaning to pick up the anime, "Now and Then, Here and There" I just haven't been by Suncoast in a while, so this all worked out perfectly. Plus amazon sells it for $11.58 whereas Borders in the store sells it for $13.95, so I ended up saving money.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Is that something new that Borders does or just their online store? It's been 2 years since I lived around a Borders.

"Now and Then, Here and There" was a good anime, watched it awhile ago and really enjoyed it.

My Barnes & Nobels doesn't stock Berserk, but they ordered it for me and called me when it was in. They had two shelves dedicated to manga, yet choose not to stock Berserk and they never give me a straight answer.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Most of the Barnes and Nobles I've been in (about 4) have really lousy stocks of manga. For some reason, they just don't seem to have much of it. I don't know if I just "lucked" out in the ones I've been to, or if it's something that applies to all Barnes and Nobles, but it was annoying.