Movies of 2007

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

Well, I have to admit, Flying daggers wasn't that good today...now that I knew the outcome, but I remember that I was quite thrilled the first time. A martial arts movie packed with a tragic love story? Yeah, gimme more!
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Shaka Zulu wrote:

But Flying Daggers needs to be dissed as hell. Average movie that is of inconsistent quality throughout the movie. Started interesting and was cool, but turned out to be quite dull.
Well I wasn't going to bring up Flying Daggers because I'm still holding "The Returner" against Takeshi Kaneshiro. Onimusha is such a badass game for one that lasts a little longer then a movie.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

The Returner was a masterpiece compared to Flying Daggers.

That movie proved thier is a reason why Hero,Hidden Dragon was good.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Did you say Hero was good?

Ha, what a joke.

The emperor's a fucking douche warlord. Sure, he unified China, but with an iron fist and killed and wiped out tribes and factions to do so. He will also be remembered for being scared of dying and sending some other douche to look for some immortality crap and then that douche would set off to Japan, which was supposedly filled with magical herbs and shit. But yeah, movie was crap, in my opinion.

I thought Hidden Dragon was pretty good, but felt that it was made for foreign audiences then the Asian market.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Eldo wrote:The emperor's a fucking douche warlord. Sure, he unified China, but with an iron fist and killed and wiped out tribes and factions to do so. He will also be remembered for being scared of dying and sending some other douche to look for some immortality crap and then that douche would set off to Japan, which was supposedly filled with magical herbs and shit.
Qin shi huangdi, or who? That guy was crazy.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

His tomb was filled with traps and shit like that too. While in life, he was lived in fear of dying, and in death, he died in fear. He had an immense ego to boot, and killed scholars and other educated people because he felt threatened by their presence and his authority undermined.

I'm not quite sure how he's a 'great' emperor for doing so. There are different interpretations of his character, some think he's great for unifying China, despite the countless bloodshed. That's what this movie is to me, I think.

And it wasn't a particularly good movie either.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

I don't think anyone thinks the first emperor of Qin was a nice guy, but it's a strange phenomenon that his many major flaws will be overlooked for the fact that he created one "unified" China. And with Chinese nationalism on the rise it doesn't look like that will change anytime, soon.

Ying Xiong was a movie that carried some of that spirit, you may like it or not, but it's a fact.

This was what one guy wrote for The Emperor and the Assassin on IMDB:
Keep in mind, that in "China," or what we now know as China, the history of a dynasty was always written by the following dynasty. In this case, the Han wrote the history of the Qin. Whenever a new dynasty took power, they had to establish some sort of legitimacy, or prove that they held the "Mandate of Heaven." Those who wrote the history of the previous dynasty, who were comissioned by the new ruing dynasty, would often take liberty at embelishing the truth in order to make the previous ruler look as if they had lost the mandate of heaven. While Qin Shi Huang (the Qin emperor) probably was a megalomaniac, he probably wasn't as bad as the Han records make him out to be. Keep in mind that he unified a group of states, coinage, roads, measurement, etc... The only reason Han was a success was because of the Han's ability to capitlize on the accomplishemnts of Qin Shi Huang.
So yeah, I guess he was still not a nice guy, you don't become emperor for being a nice guy. Likely as not we'll never know just how much of a tyrant he was.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

I guess people tend to figure that the 'ends justify the means'. This applies to that douche emperor, as well.

He wasn't as much a tyrant as Hitler, but in a way, some credit Hitler as a person who 'brought the countries together to fight against a global threat, and fueled the development of technology'. Can't remember what textbook it was from, but I called bullshit on that when a friend told me that (he was a German guy who said 'we warned the Jews to leave' at one point of our childhood, uh, heh...)

But yeah, don't let me derail this thread with my ranting. Uh, Ghost Rider looks shit at the moment. I'd love to see how Transformers turns out, I'm not completely sold on Prime. Hell, I'll probably go watch it just for Megan Fox, but I'll have to judge for myselves. Uh, I mean, me, myself and I.

Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

Saw Last King of Scotland. A very good and haunting movie. Even though though I havent seen the other oscar nominated male leads...I never been so sure of an actor winning the Oscar after merely seeing the first 2 scenes only. Amazing is too little to describe Whitakers performance.

Decent/disturbing) movie, with great performances.
Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of the hunt will be(weak) told by the hunter
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Anyone know a site i can download english subs?

I have Jet Li's Legend but the noob that made the torrent didnt have a sub in it.

I knew a site called extratitles or something but i dont remember it.
Lungs
notanewb

Post by Lungs »

Check out; http://www.opensubtitles.org/

Bwaha, that's blaosh... Transformers... that guy, what's his face, Michael Bay (END OF THE WORLD), seems so incredibly epic without the addition of giant transforming machines who take advice from small children.

I hadn't heard of the Last King of Scotland, eh, will have to check it out. Got me cap reset, if you know what I mean, and can pilfer more now from the giant data-swamp in the pipes.
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

Bridge To Terabithia: I usually don't see PG movies but this looks great.

The Number 23: Looks like a great film.

300: looks great as well.
Last edited by Damien on Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NARUTO + BLEACH doesn't even come close to the BEST MANGA= ONE PIECE
Finito
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Finito »

Libaax wrote:Anyone know a site i can download english subs?

I have Jet Li's Legend but the noob that made the torrent didnt have a sub in it.

I knew a site called extratitles or something but i dont remember it.
For asian movie subtitles, Kloofy is the site.
Just checked it has 3 subtitles for that movie, find the one that match with your version. Make sure you know the good name, Legend of Fong Sai Yuk is the complete name.
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

Anyone seen ghost rider yet?

NARUTO + BLEACH doesn't even come close to the BEST MANGA= ONE PIECE
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Its not out here yet but i plan to see even if its clear it wont be that good and Cage is totaly wrong for the role.
Finito
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Finito »

Damien wrote:Anyone seen ghost rider yet?
Saw it, was horrible. Worst movie I've seen in the last 6 months.
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

Finito wrote:
Damien wrote:Anyone seen ghost rider yet?
Saw it, was horrible. Worst movie I've seen in the last 6 months.

It does seem pretty shitty in the trailers.....typical Marvel based movie where they butcher everything about it and make it some cliche bullshit, in this case a lame "love story".
EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

I haven't seen Ghost Rider (and probably won't now), but I have seen Epic Movie and it's likely just as bad. It was supposed to be hilarious, so aside from one or two cheap laughs, it was a major letdown. There's lots of "cameos" and lots of sexy women (the only thing that could ever hope to redeem it... but doesn't). It's just plain garbage really.

Easily the worst film I'll see all year.
Devil_Dante
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Devil_Dante »

Saw "in pursuit of happyness" yesterday. Nice drama movie, almost gave me the tears... not!

Anybody seen "300" yet?
newbified
n00b Smasher

Post by newbified »

300 isn't out until March 9th for the area I live in.
Steeples scrape the sky, Praising God.
Everything here exists for God, is sacrificed to God.
For those who have nothing to sacrifice,
It can be a very heartless city indeed.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

This is by far one of my favorite 300 jokes I have seen. (Note: You'll have to look closely to get it)

ImageImage
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

The map kinda looks like a face. Is that what it is?
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

"redirected from Madness"

That's it.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

I dont get the comedy of it.. Is it supposed to be about the part in the trailers where that persian envoy is like "This is Madness!" . Or is saying that the whole battle of Thermopyles was madness?
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Buzkashi wrote:I dont get the comedy of it.. Is it supposed to be about the part in the trailers where that persian envoy is like "This is Madness!" . Or is saying that the whole battle of Thermopyles was madness?

The guy says "This is blasphemy! This is Madness" and Leondias replys "Madness? This is Sparta!".